EVGA

Question about CABLE TV to card? LOVE new card, awesome help setting it up here so far.

Author
devontholden
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/04/20 03:31:36 (permalink)
***quick thanks***Hi!  Thank you everyone for you help, when I had problems with my new build I was surprised how much feedback I got so quickly helping me sort out any potential problems with my PSU, mobo, and power cables to get the card running!  I only have the 2GB DDR5 card and I can run Battlefield 4 on ULTRA everythingat 107fps; I had planned on getting one of the more expensive cards soon but after running this I am SO content with this GPU that I think I will run it for some time and wait a generation or three.***

QUESTION: Can I run my cable box HDMI right to my video card HDMI?  What is the best way to be able to watch cable through my computer, I know there are TV out cards I can get but in the age of HDMI I was hoping to be able to just have one plug, but maybe the video card is HDMI out only so I might be totally unrealistic, if so I can just get an HMDI monitor and plug straight into it...I just liked the idea of being able to watch tv and design a web page on the same screen LOL. If so is there any software you prefer over others? And is there a tuner or part that would be best to use, if it is not as simple as I think?  I am moving PC upstairs into my room by my an additional dv-r (my roommate has 1 for each bedroom and living room) so I want to get some kind of setup to utilize HD Cable TV an a computer monitor (The simple part, I know at the least I can plug my HDMI into a monitor and use it as my television, just wondering the best way to run it through my computer to my monitor so I have options like putting it in a window, etc, although I realize this may be totally unrealistic IDK Im gonna feel like an idiot if I find it on google after a 2nd search)!

Thanks again for all the help getting my rig running I LOVE IT (Haswell is great cpu but it is 10X better with my GPU in now THX again); MY PC:
EVGA GTX 760 NVidia 2GB DDr5 (this card rocks I cant even imagine how a higher end EVGA card would look)
Haswell Core i7 - 4770k LGA1150
ASUS Z87M-PLUS MoBo /  BitFemix PHENOM Micro ATX case-It's extra wide so hasn't been 2 much of a pain(my first small case I prefer larger normally to work on.)
8GB (2x4gb sticks) DDR3 1600mhz Mushkin RAM
Seasonic 520watt PSU - m12 II Bronze-highly recommend SeaSonic they contract to make Corsair's high end power supplies(Crappy PSU I'd need 600watts!)
Other stuff I won't bore you with like cooling fans dvrw but no other major cards or anything important, 1 pci-e 4X available, a crappy old style 1 inch little pci-e that is probably too close to my GPU to even use. The one issue with this computer is I CANNOT run SLI, or put in many other  so in future I may get bigger case if I upgraded to a single 4-6GB card I may not ever feel the need for more than one card if I love mine now, but I like options!

MY PC
-EVGA GTX 760 NVidia 2GB DDr5 (this card rocks I cant even imagine how a higher end EVGA card would look)
-Haswell Core i7 - 4770k LGA1150
-ASUS Z87M-PLUS MoBo /  BitFemix PHENOM Micro ATX case-It's extra wide so hasn't been 2 much of a pain(my first small case I prefer larger normally to work on.)
-8GB (2x4gb sticks) DDR3 1600mhz Mushkin RAM
-Seasonic 520watt PSU - m12 II Bronze-highly recommend SeaSonic they contract to make Corsair's high end power supplies(Crappy PSU I'd need 600watts!)
-Other stuff I won't bore you with like cooling fans dvrw but no other major cards or anything important, 1 pci-e 4X available, a crappy old style 1 inch little pci-e that is probably too close to my GPU to even use. The one issue with this computer is I CANNOT run SLI, or put in many other cards, In future would prob get bigger

2 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Question about CABLE TV to card? LOVE new card, awesome help setting it up here so far 2014/04/20 08:33:29 (permalink)
    No. The HDMI port on your video card is output only. You would have to buy a second HDMI capture card for video input.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/04/20 08:56:09

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Question about CABLE TV to card? LOVE new card, awesome help setting it up here so far 2014/04/20 21:22:54 (permalink)
    Two options for watching TV on PC:
    • You would need a device known as a TV tuner to get television/cable on your PC via traditional coaxial line.
    • If you have a CableCARD plugged into your TV, you can use this device to get cable into your computer. 
    Do more research, these are only the tips of the icebergs.
    post edited by lehpron - 2014/04/20 21:25:01

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile