Need some help (Complicated)

Author
Mahfouz
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/04/16 00:40:50 (permalink)
Alright, here's the fun part....
First, i'll start off stating what I have on the machine so you know what I'm dealing with.

GeForce GTX 580, version 335.23
Intel Core i7 920
EVGA x58 SLI Classified motherboard

I built this computer specifically for gaming. Star Wars the Old Republic, naturally. But whenever I'd play the game, after an amount of time it would shut off randomly and restart. After a month of this, I went into the BIOS and I would start seeing if I could find SOMETHING to tell me why my computer kept shutting off. Then I saw this...

Naturally, I'd like you all to take notice of my NB Temperature, at a PAINFUL 122 Celcius. Ouch.
This prompted some more investigation (with the computer still running) and Now i have these next two pictures, courtesy of CPUID HWMonitor and SpeedFan.

In that third picture, i'd like to make a few points... First, at 213 degrees celcius, the inner workings of any machine should be melting into a puddle. Also, at -42 Degrees celcius, it should be almost frozen to the touch. But, together.... I'm a bit confused.

My initial thoughts are that the thermal pasting for the Northbridge ports regarding the motherboard have come loose, or that my sensors are going haywire... I'm out of thoughts and ideas to resolve this. Help?

Attached Image(s)

3 Replies Related Threads

Fiius
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2825
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Need some help (Complicated) 2014/04/16 14:40:29 (permalink)
    Your sensors are buggy - either do the touch approach (stick your hand on the heatsink while computer is running), or snag an IR thermometer and point it at said heatsinks.

The heatsinks should be warm to the touch, but not uncomfortably hot - cool heatsinks mean that heat isnt being transfered to them (duh), while hot (!) heatsinks mean there is too much heat for them to dissipate efficiently.

When the computer shuts off, does it shut off and you restart it or does it restart automatically?  If you restart it, do you let it sit before restarting, or do you power it back on immediately?  Have you looked in your Event Viewer to see if you are possibly crashing?

~Fus

"Abyss v2"
    | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | Core i5 3570k w/ XSPC Raystorm Waterblock | Corsair AX-650 |
    | 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws X PC3-1600 10-10-10-30 (BXL) |
    | EVGA GTX 670 w/ Heatkiller LT 13105 + Backplate | Crucial M4 240GB SSD | 2x HGST 4TB |
    | Fractal Design Arc Mini | 2x PULL AP-15s on Swiftech MCR240 | D5 w/ Koolance COV-PMP450A Top |
    | Win7 x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp 2408WFPb | Dell UltraSharp 2407 WFPb |
    Mahfouz
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Need some help (Complicated) 2014/04/16 15:51:41 (permalink)
    It shuts off by itself (black screen, not blue screen crash), and immediately restarts by itself and queues me to "Start Windows Normally."

I did a bit of messing around, and whenever id press down on the motherboard, the temperature on the BIOS screen would reduce dramatically, although the board is rather uncomfortably hot, but not the 213 degrees celcius that it's claiming.
    Fiius
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2825
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Need some help (Complicated) 2014/04/18 09:05:53 (permalink)
    You can push down on the motherboard and temps would reduce?  0.o

Did you put in all the motherboard spacers?  Is the motherboard bow-ing?
    Can you humor me and check your Event Log - some crashes immediately restart the computer and you need a high-speed camera to catch the BSOD...

Any chance of you taking the machine apart and making sure those heatsinks are making good contact, screws are tight, etc.. etc.. ?  Possibly re-TIM the motherboard heatsinks?

You dont have the requisite number of posts to post links, but could you possibly attach a few pictures of the inside of your computer case?

~Fus

"Abyss v2"
    | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | Core i5 3570k w/ XSPC Raystorm Waterblock | Corsair AX-650 |
    | 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws X PC3-1600 10-10-10-30 (BXL) |
    | EVGA GTX 670 w/ Heatkiller LT 13105 + Backplate | Crucial M4 240GB SSD | 2x HGST 4TB |
    | Fractal Design Arc Mini | 2x PULL AP-15s on Swiftech MCR240 | D5 w/ Koolance COV-PMP450A Top |
    | Win7 x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp 2408WFPb | Dell UltraSharp 2407 WFPb |
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile