Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified

Author
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
2014/04/08 04:50:37 (permalink)
I am going to review and show pictures of the reTIM I just completed on All of my Graphics cards.  Both systems have been reTIMed at this point, although the Classifieds were completed about a month and a half ago at this time.  Please not that I watercooled the Classifieds, so I am not reviewing the temperatures on them.

First, the 750Ti FTW...  EVGA, Please change your TIM process at least a little bit.  I only went through the process this afternoon, so that I could get eyes on the Parts and pieces inside.  What I found was mildly alarming with the amount of TIM on such a tiny chip... 

Did someone get a TIM Bazooka and just Launch the stuff on there?  There is 3 times the amount needed, so much that it filled the area around the Die, and seeped out onto the blue area around the area...  Anyway,

Prior to the process, the temps were running about 48-52, never above, and the fans never went above idle...  Now, 44 max after an hour on Valley..  Not much of a drop, but prior, I didn't run bench marks, only allowed it to run as a PhysX card, and the highest temps came from running the PhysX on Batman.  I love this little card.  I turned the system to full silent a few days ago, making sure all fans were down or off, and turned the pumps down from 4000+ rpm to 2000 and listened.. My card is quiet and I am happy enough with that, but EVGA is getting alot of complaints.  the fans are only 2 pin, not 3 or 4, so there is ZERO control below the base 42% (what mine are currently at now).  I have no complaints with this one. The memory is Samsung on my card.

Here is a picture after Cleaning the Die and applying clear fingernail polish to the capacitors (no picture of the TIM after reapplying, sorry, it was back together before I remembered)..  I know the fingernail polish isnt required and would have to come off before going back to EVGA, but I am not worried about that, as there will be nothing able to contact the capacitors as long as they are covered.  TIM used is Artic MX-4 and spread very thing with a sliver of credit card.  with the temp drop while the ambient in my room is "Warm" I am happy with this.

The die is so tiny compared to all the others I have seen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

760 SC ACX Review and Pictures

This was my very first set of EVGA cards, and so far, I have been very happy and impressed with them.  They were folding at 62c (top) and 47c (bottom) and after the TIM change, they are running 48c and 42c respectively.  The TIM applied is Artic MX-4 as well.  The Pictures as I removed them were much better.  One 4 pin fan and one 3 pin (since only one will display RPMs, not both) to properly control the fans, the TIM was on the die, and everything around the die was clean, with relatively low spill over on the ACX copper pipes.  

I did notice, and hopefully someone else does as well, the blue permanent marker between the screw points for the die on the cooler...  Quality Control?  I think that was what it is, is the quality control signing off on the product, showing it was inspected..  I hope that is what it was.. Sadly, this was NOT present on the 750Ti or the Classifieds...  you know, the two that had all of the TIM spread everywhere....

After cleaning everything off, I did find that the 750Ti and Classifieds had smooth plates with copper pipes inside them, and the 760 had two of the pipes touching the die.  Not sure how much of a difference that would make, but I can say that the bare copper was much harder to clean as it tore everything I used.

Also, the 760s and the Classifieds all have SKhynix Memory.  

The next pictures are the cleaned die and cooler plate. Please take note of the blue Sharpie..  this is the second 760, and notice the cooler is marked with a different number.  As i said, I hope it was quality control, and if it was, where did they go between the manufacture of the 760 and the Classified time period?

About these cards.  I  love these little guys.  They were my second set of cards, and my first EVGA set.  I came from Galaxy 660Ti on my first try, and liked them, but the only computer place in Okinawa that I could find, did not have the new cards when I went to buy more.  I decided, after a lot of research, to go with the EVGA cards.  I feel this was one of my best choices at the time, as these cards have been faithful from day one.  I have yet to have a reason to complain about them at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

780Ti Classified were retimmed before they were ever put into SLI.  The problem came with the Scythe T-33B case that I have for Little Brother.  The width was not an issue, but the length was, and would hit the 3.25 HDD bays, so I could only fit the top card.  When I bought them, I was in the process of fighting with the computer store in Okinawa..  They said they didn't have any more MSI 780Ti cards, after I tried to buy one (they only had one, not two.. I like SLI...) A few days later, I found out there was another Goodwill (that is the name of the store) and I went there... Low and Behold, there sits another MSI 780Ti... I told them I want 2.. they said they only had one, and the other store had a second... then they called an found out that the other store was sold out... Anyway, I digress, as this isn't part of the review, just some back fill.

So, before I put them under water, I ran some benchmarks on air,  case next to the window, the outside temperatures were anywhere from -5 to 0c and I had the side fans pumping full force directly over the card, and keeping it cold. I was running the 2888_optional BIOS from Chris, and it was working well.  I was able to get a pretty decent score and was (still am) very happy with the cards.  Scores were from 15,000 - 16960 on 3D Mark 11 Performance dependent on the run.

So, I pulled both cards apart and reTIMed them with the EK-TIm Ectotherm.  I finish the build and have never accomplished getting them above 55 since, but I want to change out the TIM on the DIE for MX-4 and see if it goes lower.  If I could get some CLU (Collaboratory Liquid Ultra), I would very carefully apply it and run that, as it should transfer heat even better.  I do currently have CLP (Liquid Pro) but I hear it is really hard to remove, so I would never apply it, although I would love to see those temps.  

Post TIM cleanup.  

I did not take pictures, but I applied the TIM with the star Method when I re-installed the cards.  I will be using the spread method with any GPUs that I ever run again.  I feel more confident that all of the area is covered without worry that there is a lot of spill over into the capacitor area, even though I know that they TIM is non-conductive from EK.  

*Edit* I accidentally found a picture of the star method, as I was looking for pictures for the Fiance.. So, it looks very thick, but I promise that it was not.  I will say, after using MX-4, I am not impressed with the EK TIM as much as I was originally.  The temps were about 4 degrees difference under full load without overclocking.  Under heavy overclocks there is a 6 degree difference.

Post watercooling, the cards run cool, and the overclocking results are outstanding. I have run both cards in SLI since the moment they went into the build, and they are both usually sitting around 36-40 at full load when gaming, and when running extreme overclocks and pushing as hard as I can, I see around 55c.  I have another 1350w Enermax SLI powersupply on the way, and will run one of the two cards off of that PSU, as well as the 750Ti, when it arrives.

As far as my impression, they are fairly wonderful cards.  I am still put off by the fact of the BIOS issues at the beginning, but they seem to be much better than they were previously, so I am very happy to see that. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over all impression with EVGA.  I think when bad things take place, like the fan speed on the 750ti, the BIOS issues on the Classifieds, the Rattle Issue on MANY of the newer ACX coolers (just examples) I think EVGA could come out and drop the ball instantly, and address the issue outright.. The hiding behind the keyboard and not giving constant updates to paying customers is shady and unacceptable.  Absolutely, 100% of the time, UNACCEPTABLE.  When the fix comes out, EVGA is good about talking about it, but weeks of silence at a time is ridiculous and makes the customers lose faith.  I will never be an early adopter, as too many paid reviewers are way too nice about the functionality of the products.  

The step-up program is 100% awesome for any vanilla user.  I believe that wholeheartedly, but I do find it a little depressing (NVidias fault, not EVGA) to hear that a 6gb 780 variant will be released after so many time of hearing, "No, there will NOT be a 780 variant with 6Gb of Memory.."  That was a positive statement pumped into our ears, eyes and minds, up to the moment there was a 780 with 6gb of memory.. and then EVGA went all gravy train about how awesome it will be...  Now, you can step up in the same Chip.. Unless you have a non vanilla/classified...  That does suck to burn up $850 bucks, but it comes with the territory.. Next time, I will wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I am happy with most of my EVGA products.  As far as the customer service and the quality control, I hope that it returns in full force very soon.  To the Reviewers that get paid by our views, review the product on a fair level, as the users are looking to you for what they want to buy. 

I will add pictures of the star method on the Classifieds, as soon as I am able to pull them out and switch out the TIM and then re-install them.  As I said, I will be using the spread method when I change it out.

*edit* As promised, Switched out the Ectotherm for MX-4  Ambient temperature dropped a little, but only 1-2c and the overall idle temp is 1 degree different.. More than likely going to equate to cool fluids and ambient lowering.  Below are the Before TIM change, the Block and Die with ectotherm in star pattern, the clean die, the MX-4 spread with a credit card sliver, and lastly post idle temps.  The pictures will be in that order....

Notice: left to right: Classy 1, Classy 2, 750Ti (in case someone misses that on the bottom.  The post picture is reversed, my bad.

It is VERY dusty in Korea.  I have to clean it every third day at least.  you can see the effect even under the block.

750ti, Classy 2, and Classy 1.  1 Degree drop, but I think that was from the Ambient lowering.

post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/04/14 03:29:55

15 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/11 00:31:27 (permalink)
    Just received an Enermax MaxRevo 1350 SLI, so I am going to change oout a few cables, attach the second PSU to Big Brother (one classy and the 750TI) to see how well they run on a bench with more juices flowing.
    Miguell
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1112
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/11 13:15:30 (permalink)
    well well..   very nice temps you got there on your 760 SC ACX...

maybe i should reTim mine.. i have it since 24th December and i am using Cooler Master E2 IC essential on my cpu... witch a very decent compound.

maybe i'll do it this weekend. because.....  after all summer is coming. the heat will be quite high..  the last few days have been HOT in the afternoon period

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
    Display: 32" AOC Q3279VWFD8 @2560x1440@75Hz
    Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700
    Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML120L - RGB
    Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
    Vga: Asus Dual RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Advanced Edition
    Ram: 32GB DDR4  G.SKILL - RIPJAWS V @3200Mhz
    Sound: Hama uRage soundZbar 2.1 Unleashed  - (Optical)
    Storage: 500GB SSD M.2 A2000  NVMe  Kingston (OS) + 8TB (4+4) HDD X300 Toshiba (Data)
    Psu: SeaSonic M12 700W
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102333
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/11 13:19:43 (permalink)
    Excellent pics and guide. Thanks for posting.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 03:19:01 (permalink)
    Miguell
    well well..   very nice temps you got there on your 760 SC ACX...

maybe i should reTim mine.. i have it since 24th December and i am using Cooler Master E2 IC essential on my cpu... witch a very decent compound.

maybe i'll do it this weekend. because.....  after all summer is coming. the heat will be quite high..  the last few days have been HOT in the afternoon period

I love cleaning everything up and reapplying TIM..  I find it very very comforting and it doesn't cost anything after purchasing the TIM itself.  I think you should as well :-D  I just sent you a message in another thread.  If you want a tube of Gelid Extreme, I can send you a small one for the price of nothing...  it will take a few weeks to get to you is all.  

rjohnson11
    Excellent pics and guide. Thanks for posting.

Thank you sir.  I may update with pictures in a few days, if I decide to run CLLP on the 750 TI (With protective measures in place, of course) and see if it helps under full load.  I doubt it would with the temps always running so low.  I would love to run it on the classies, if I could get the temps down another 5-10 degrees, and see if I can smash some more voltage into them. 
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 03:56:45 (permalink)
    Now need more attention during replacing thermal paste, chip is more sensitive than before with IHS.
    I don't remember some people tried to drop temps on GTX480 with IHS removing... I don't know what happen.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 04:12:58 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    Now need more attention during replacing thermal paste, chip is more sensitive than before with IHS.I don't remember some people tried to drop temps on GTX480 with IHS removing... I don't know what happen. 

There is no IHS on these cards. :-) there will be new pictures in about 30 minutes with another update.

As we wait for the nail polish to dry (protecting capacitors) , I did delid the 3770k and the 4770k. The 3770 has the IHS back on, but I removed the IHS complete have direct Waterblock to Die on that one. Can't get the Temps over 65c without some very high ambient now :-D.

I am attempting CLLP on the 750Ti,to see if it helps at all. I doubt it, as these cards run cold already. If I ruin it, I will get the standard 750Ti instead of the FTW, just so I can get my USB ports back (the FTW blocks all of the USB ports and one fan header).
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 04:40:22 (permalink)
    I know, I say because of that need to be more careful. 
    I really no need to change paste before custom water cooling.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102333
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 04:56:00 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    I know, I say because of that need to be more careful. 
    I really no need to change paste before custom water cooling.

If you go the water cooling path you should definitely change the TIM.....

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 04:58:20 (permalink)
    Fire In the Hole... 

I DO NOT CONDONE OR SUGGEST USING CLLP ON YOUR GPU!!!!!!!!!!!  I did this to test it, and knew there was a risk of burning the card into the ground.  If you decide to read this review and place CLLP on your DIE, do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Newest Review:  750Ti with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro on the die.  Yes, I did it, because I see a few users saying that it is best.. I will have pictures of before, during and after, to include temps (if you ask for temps during, I am going to stare blankly) with MX4 and CLLP.  The capacitors are very well protected under a few layers of clear fingernail polish.  I am not sure if that will show in the picture, as I am waiting for them to transfer from the phone to the computer.  

Test Variables:  The temperature in my room didn't change.  I don't know what ambient is, but at idle the 750 is running at 18c before the change and after, so not much changed there.  The test was Valley Benchmark at 1080p, AA x8, ultra quality on a single monitor (didn't want the classifieds helping at all).

First, temp test with Valley for 10 minutes, fans set to lowest setting and never bumped above "Idle" (42% on my cards).

This is to show that both of the Classifieds were at idle.

How the MX4 worked after spreading it over the die with a sliver of a credit card.

Coollaboratory Liquid Pro on the Die

Just a very small dab on the heat sink.  The dust isn't near the die area, and I couldn't even see it without the picture.

After putting it back together, the results are...  

and one more shot of GPU-Z to show off the ASIC and max temperature report for the 750Ti, as well as to show that the classifieds were still sitting idle.

So the results are a card that is now running 5 degrees cooler with CLLP on the die and heatsink.  Not a big drop, but if you are into extreme overclocking, it may assist in a few more MHZ.  It also may not, unless you know exactly what you are doing. I am not running this card under any overclock, as it is my PhysX card to assist the Classifieds in being awesome.  *Addition*  The one benefit I see to CLLP on the die is that when you stop stressing it, the temperature go down fairly quick.  I am not sure if that is because of the CLLP, but what used to take place over a 1-2 minute period happens in about 10 seconds now.  

The Classifieds WILL be getting the CLLP treatment whenever I pull them out for cleaning and maintenance.  I want to see if it will help with over clocking and after a successful operation on the 750Ti, I am confident that I can accomplish the same on the Classifieds.

ONCE AGAIN, I DO NOT CONDONE OR SUGGEST USING CLLP ON YOUR GPU!!!!!!!!!!!  I did this to test it, and knew there was a risk of burning the card into the ground.  If you decide to read this review and place CLLP on your DIE, do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

P.S.  there sits all of my ASICs, not caring one bit that they aren't in the 90s.. lol!  As I have stated previously on other posts.  Both Classies and Both 760s are Hynix memory and the 750Ti is Samsung.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/04/14 05:39:18
    Miguell
    FTW Member
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 05:16:30 (permalink)

Scarlet-Tech

I love cleaning everything up and reapplying TIM..  I find it very very comforting and it doesn't cost anything after purchasing the TIM itself.  I think you should as well :-D  I just sent you a message in another thread.  If you want a tube of Gelid Extreme, I can send you a small one for the price of nothing...  it will take a few weeks to get to you is all.  

that would be excellent! i really wanna try GElid extreme solution! no where to be found in Portugal ( SHAME!!)
    i did not find any advantage in retim my gpu yesterday! as i found out this E2 IC essential is NON curing and did nothing to improve my temps at all!

besides just read somewhere that for the irregular surface of the acx cooler aks for a more viscous compound!

can i PM you my address? we can discuss details there!
    post edited by Miguell - 2014/04/14 05:20:01

Storage: 500GB SSD M.2 A2000  NVMe  Kingston (OS) + 8TB (4+4) HDD X300 Toshiba (Data)
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 05:19:09 (permalink)
    Miguell

that would be excellent! i really wanna try GElid extreme solution! no whee to be found in Portugal ( SHAME!!)
    i did not find any advantage in retim my gpu yesterday! this E2 IC essential is NON curing and did nothing to improve my temps at all!

besides just read somewhere that for the irregular surface of the acx cooler aks for a more viscous compound!

Send it over bud.  I will get it out as quick as I am able to.
    Miguell
    FTW Member
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 05:26:28 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Miguell

that would be excellent! i really wanna try GElid extreme solution! no whee to be found in Portugal ( SHAME!!)
    i did not find any advantage in retim my gpu yesterday! this E2 IC essential is NON curing and did nothing to improve my temps at all!

Send it over bud.  I will get it out as quick as I am able to.

already sent ya!
    thanks a lot mate!

i will be waiting!

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 05:28:33 (permalink)
    Miguell

already sent ya!
    thanks a lot mate!

i will be waiting!

Just be patient, it can be slow, lol. I will try to ship it tomorrow.
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 08:03:03 (permalink)
    You keep GTX780Ti Classy SLI and GTX750Ti for PhysX???
    How Classified is well made card, more work invested in details to look fine on eye and in hand than Matrix Platinum example.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Review and ReTIM on 750Ti FTW, 760 SC ACX, and 780Ti Classified 2014/04/14 14:21:57 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    You keep GTX780Ti Classy SLI and GTX750Ti for PhysX???
    How Classified is well made card, more work invested in details to look fine on eye and in hand than Matrix Platinum example.

I just wanted to see how much better it truly could be with a dedicated PhysX card.  I will be benchmarking next week without the 750Ti as well as with, so see the differences.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile