EVGA

GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown

Author
th3franz
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/04/06 14:23:12 (permalink)
While using the Precision X software to perform an overclock on my GTX 750 Ti FTW, after a little while when I am playing a game (Diablo 3), the clock speed drops to 405 MHz and my framerate plummets.  If I play the game without Precision X running at all, I can play for a long time with no issue in frame rate.  I am running a mild overclock on the card so the temps are staying cool.  Any suggestions as to why the clock frequency is dropping by itself with Precision X running?  Any resolution?  If I reboot the computer, everything returns to how it should.

Attached Image(s)

18 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/07 02:49:14 (permalink)
    Never seen that problem myself. You could try turning on k-boost (can be found under the voltage tab) to see if it helps to keep your clocks up.
    schwaps
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 08:13:00 (permalink)
    I am having the EXACT same issue with my GTX 750 Ti FTW when using Precision X (v4.2.1).  In my case, it occurs when I have Precision X open while playing COD4 MW1 with overclocking (+ 62 GPU, + 300 memory).  Within a minute or so of switching back and forth to the desktop to view Precision X while playing the game, my GPU clock becomes "frozen" at 405 MHz with terrible frame rates.  The only remedy I have found to work to restore the GPU is to reboot the machine.  However, if I DO NOT open Precision X while playing the game, the GPU appears to be running correctly per the overclock settings.  All indications point to some sort of a conflict either within Precision X or between Precision X and the NVIDIA driver.  (I am using BETA 337.50).

Now we know this issue is relevant and is occurring for multiple users with GTX 750 Ti FTW.  The hardware is magnificent, but this issue leaves us with a bad taste in our mouths.  I'd be happy to provide more information if it helps to resolve this issue.  Please help!

System Specs:
    ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
    Intel i5-3570k
    CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8R
    EVGA 750 Ti Overclocked FTW w/ ACX Cooling
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD
    OEM 700W ATX Power Supply
    post edited by schwaps - 2014/04/24 09:46:37
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 08:25:32 (permalink)
    schwaps
    I am having the EXACT same issue with my GTX 750 Ti FTW when using Precision X.  In my case, it occurs when I have Precision X open while playing COD4 MW1 with overclocking (+ 62 GPU, + 300 memory).  Within a minute or so of switching back and forth to the desktop to view Precision X while playing the game, my GPU clock becomes "frozen" at 405 MHz with terrible frame rates.  The only remedy I have found to work to restore the GPU is to reboot the machine.  However, if I DO NOT open Precision X while playing the game, the GPU appears to be running correctly per the overclock settings.  All indications point to some sort of a conflict either within Precision X or between Precision X and the NVIDIA driver.  (I am using BETA 337.50).

Now we know this issue is relevant and is occurring for multiple users with GTX 750 Ti FTW.  The hardware is magnificent, but this issue leaves us with a bad taste in our mouths.  Please help!

Generally speaking, the GPU 'freezing' at 405mhz is the GPU downclocking due an error. Commonly caused by an unstable overclock.  Does the GPU do this when running stock clocks? Secondarily, are you sure you are applying the overclocks while gaming? If Precision is not set to apply your overclocks on boot, it will not apply them until you start the application and it loads your settings.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

schwaps
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 08:31:24 (permalink)
    I just installed the card last evening and decided not to burn all the midnight oil at once, however, it seems to possibly be tied to overclocking the memory, but I am not 100% certain at this time and it may involve GPU overclocking as well.

I do have the overclocks set to apply upon boot.  I verified the overclocks are being applied through both Precision-X and GPU-Z.

I did try to run factory (default) overclocks with no memory overclock and I did not experience the issue.  However, as I stated, if I keep the overclocks (+62 GPU, +300 memory) but DO NOT open Precision X, I do not experience the terrible fps's during gaming, so I am certain that it has to do with running Precision X simultaneously with my game title (COD4MW1) and it appears some other users' game titles.  Once the clock is stuck at 405MHz, it is stuck at that limit until I reboot.

As a side note:  I believe my overclocks are reasonable as the competing product (PNY 750 Ti) is overclocked to 1202 MHz GPU base with 1502 MHz memory while having a much smaller cooling unit employing only a single fan.  I am having a hard time believing that the hardware would be unstable at this particular overclock with the low designed TDP and ACX dual-fan cooling solution.  Plus, my temps are staying in the 30-40's range.  This, together with the well documented similar (and successful) overclocks on the net leads me to believe it is not an instability issue.  And, since the issue ONLY seems to occur with Precision X open simultaneously, there has to be some sort of correlation between that software suite and the game title(s) and/or NVIDIA driver(s).  For example, perhaps when Precision-X is open while the game title is running it is flagging the memory and/or GPU overclock as an instability issue and downclocking when in fact it is still stable?

I believe this issue should be fairly easy to reproduce in a lab setting.

Thank you for your assistance and for providing such a great product!
    post edited by schwaps - 2014/04/24 09:40:23
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 10:00:18 (permalink)
    schwaps
    I just installed the card last evening and decided not to burn all the midnight oil at once, however, it seems to possibly be tied to overclocking the memory, but I am not 100% certain at this time and it may involve GPU overclocking as well.

I do have the overclocks set to apply upon boot.  I verified the overclocks are being applied through both Precision-X and GPU-Z.

I did try to run factory (default) overclocks with no memory overclock and I did not experience the issue.  However, as I stated, if I keep the overclocks (+62 GPU, +300 memory) but DO NOT open Precision X, I do not experience the terrible fps's during gaming, so I am certain that it has to do with running Precision X simultaneously with my game title (COD4MW1) and it appears some other users' game titles.  Once the clock is stuck at 405MHz, it is stuck at that limit until I reboot.

As a side note:  I believe my overclocks are reasonable as the competing product (PNY 750 Ti) is overclocked to 1202 MHz GPU base with 1502 MHz memory while having a much smaller cooling unit employing only a single fan.  I am having a hard time believing that the hardware would be unstable at this particular overclock with the low designed TDP and ACX dual-fan cooling solution.  Plus, my temps are staying in the 30-40's range.  This, together with the well documented similar (and successful) overclocks on the net leads me to believe it is not an instability issue.  And, since the issue ONLY seems to occur with Precision X open simultaneously, there has to be some sort of correlation between that software suite and the game title(s) and/or NVIDIA driver(s).  For example, perhaps when Precision-X is open while the game title is running it is flagging the memory and/or GPU overclock as an instability issue and downclocking when in fact it is still stable?

I believe this issue should be fairly easy to reproduce in a lab setting.

Thank you for your assistance and for providing such a great product!

Unstable memory overclock is a classic example of a GPU locking at 405mhz. Precision alone doesn't have any sort of mechanism for 'flagging' an instability issue. It could be a simple as adding in the extra processing and code of displaying the overlay on top of the game is causing it. Secondarily, you can't really compare a different manufactures GPU and expect identical results. I'm pretty sure EVGA is using a bit slower memory than what is being used on the PNY as the default memory clocks are markedly different.  Lastly, adding +300 to your memory is actually increasing your memory clock effectively 600mhz. Which is some ~13-14% over stock.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

schwaps
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 10:24:38 (permalink)
    Thanks again for your response.  Your points are all valid and well taken, but note that the originator of this thread (th3franz) was having this issue with only a 100 MHz (200 MHz effective) overclock of the memory.  I also had similar results with lower memory overclocks, but may need to do further testing to pin it down.

Could you kindly elaborate on your first point, "It could be as simple as adding in the extra processing and code of displaying the overlay on top of the game is causing it."  I am taking this as meaning that the Precision X software is somewhat mildly GPU-intensive and, compounded with a moderately GPU-intensive game such as COD4MW1, is pushing the card to instability?  Is this more-or-less what you are speculating?  And, if this is the case, then surely a more GPU-intensive game would produce the same result, with or without Precision-X open?

And, taking this a little further, if the memory overclock is to blame, it seems to me that this would indicate that this board (EVGA 750 Ti FTW w/ ACX Cooling) should not have it's memory overclocked whatsoever, despite the numerous reports of successful 600+ MHz memory overclocks abounding on the internet for this particular board.

All of this leaves me simply perplexed....  I still think this is related to something within the Precision X application and really want to find a solution.  Unless this can be pinned down, I may have to resign to sticking with the stock memory speed and experimenting with overclocking only the GPU which would be a real downer as I bought this card due to its great overclocking potential.
    post edited by schwaps - 2014/04/24 10:30:19
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 10:51:08 (permalink)
    schwaps
    Thanks again for your response.  Your points are all valid and well taken, but note that the originator of this thread (th3franz) was having this issue with only a 100 MHz (200 MHz effective) overclock of the memory.  I also had similar results with lower memory overclocks, but may need to do further testing to pin it down.

Could you kindly elaborate on your first point, "It could be as simple as adding in the extra processing and code of displaying the overlay on top of the game is causing it."  I am taking this as meaning that the Precision X software is somewhat mildly GPU-intensive and, compounded with a moderately GPU-intensive game such as COD4MW1, is pushing the card to instability?  Is this more-or-less what you are speculating?  And, if this is the case, then surely a more GPU-intensive game would produce the same result, with or without Precision-X open?

And, taking this a little further, if the memory overclock is to blame, it seems to me that this would indicate that this board (EVGA 750 Ti FTW w/ ACX Cooling) should not have it's memory overclocked whatsoever, despite the numerous reports of successful 600+ MHz memory overclocks abounding on the internet for this particular board.

All of this leaves me simply perplexed....  I still think this is related to something within the Precision X application and really want to find a solution.  Unless this can be pinned down, I may have to resign to sticking with the stock memory speed and experimenting with overclocking only the GPU which would be a real downer as I bought this card due to its great overclocking potential.

Precision, hasn't been updated in awhile and it is currently having some issues with more recent drivers. I've quit using it in favor of MSI AfterBurner which is frequently updated and works with 64bit games and is made by the same developer, Unwinder. You can get the latest Afterburner BETA here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=387818
    Make sure when you uninstall Precision (if you decide to try AB) that you set all GPU items to stock prior to uninstalling, then answer no, when asked if you want to save your profiles.

schwaps
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 11:05:00 (permalink)
    sweet, I will give that a try when I get home, thank you!!

If you had to take a stab based on the information, do you believe this is more likely an instability issue or Precision issue?  Or, are you 50/50?

I will post my results when I give afterburner a try.  I appreciate your suggestion, I'm not new to gaming but am "new" to modern gaming (having kids sets you back some years).  :)

Thanks again!!
    schwaps
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 17:09:50 (permalink)
    Ok, so I have done some more testing with the results below:

1.  After installing MSI Afterburner and using the same overclocks (GPU +62, Memory +300), I ran into the same "stuck at 405 MHz" issue that required a reboot.
    2.  After reinstalling Precision X, I enabled K Boost and the issue completely went away.  I was able to run COD4MW1 at the same time as Precision X while maintaining full overclocks and could switch back to the desktop from the game with no issues.
    3.  I then proceeded to turn off K Boost and closed Precision X with the defined overclocks (GPU +62, Memory +300).  I ran COD4MW1 and switched between the desktop and the game and lo and behold, I was again throttled back to 405 MHz.  Another reboot was in order.  This further proved that it wasn't Precision X at fault, but rather seems like some sort of driver issue at play here.
    4.  Next, I backed off the memory overclock (+0) and just went with a GPU Overclock (+62).  When running COD4MW1 and switching back to the desktop and Precision X, I did not experience the "stuck at 405 MHz" issue..

I am going to make a few observations/conclusions.  Please let me know if you have a good explanation for this, or if you disagree, or have suggestions to help solve this mystery.

Objective:  To get around the "stuck at 405 MHz" issue.

A.  When desiring to overclock the memory, you should always enable K-BOOST.
    B.  When merely overclocking the GPU, you do not need to enable K-BOOST, but can do so to increase performance.

Conclusion:  There appears to be some NVIDIA driver issues that may be causing this "stuck at 405 MHz" phenomenon.  Or, perhaps this is some sort of complex instability issue that K-BOOST magically resolves.
    post edited by schwaps - 2014/04/24 17:12:13
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 17:15:32 (permalink)
    @schwaps

Setting the power management mode to prefer maximum performance inside the NVCP should help with the 405MHz problem as well.
    schwaps
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 17:39:47 (permalink)
    Sajin,

I gave your suggestion a try, thank you.  Unfortunately, I ended up with the same "stuck at 405 MHz" issue...

I'm considering using K-BOOST full time, but am wondering what the long-term power implications are with respect to my system.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 18:13:11 (permalink)
    schwaps
    Sajin,

I gave your suggestion a try, thank you.  Unfortunately, I ended up with the same "stuck at 405 MHz" issue...

I'm considering using K-BOOST full time, but am wondering what the long-term power implications are with respect to my system.

You will have increased power consumption from running k-boost 24/7, but you could try controlling the boost and idle by using nvidia inspector by doing the following...

#1 Download the latest version of nvidia inspector to your desktop.
    #2 Extract nvidia inspector to C:\Program Files (x86)\nvidiaInspector
    #3 Create Idle & Boost .bat files for nvidia inspector. (These two .bat files will allow you to to idle your GPU or force it into max boost state at will.) 
    - Open 2x Notepad (Click Start and type in Notepad and hit Enter.) <<Do this twice. 
    - Copy and Paste this... "C:\Program Files (x86)\nvidiaInspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -forcepstate:0,8 into your first Notepad, Save AS... Idle.bat and save to Desktop. 
    - Copy and Paste this... "C:\Program Files (x86)\nvidiaInspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -forcepstate:0,16 into your second Notepad, Save AS... Boost.bat and save to Desktop.
    #4 Enable K-Boost. (Clocks should be running at maximum at this point.)
    #5 Now select Idle or Boost.bat from the desktop and watch your clocks goto idle and back to boost with precision x open. ;) 

schwaps
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/24 19:11:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Sajin.

Upon yet further testing, I have come up with a new conclusion.  This "stuck at 405 MHz" issue is even happening without any additional overclocks (other than factory default), and I was finally able to get it to become "stuck" using K-BOOST as well.  This issue seems 100% related to switching back and forth between the fullscreen game title (in my case COD4MW1) and the desktop.  Seems like a driver issue to me.  So, for the time being, I will just refrain from switching back to the desktop during gaming -> Temporary Solution.  I sure hope NVIDIA can come up with a fix for this one as it has been highly frustrating to diagnose and I still feel like there's yet more to be discovered about it.
    th3franz
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/04/25 15:39:10 (permalink)
    I also notice the issue happens when I alt+tab and switch to the desktop.
    Imow1608
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/08/09 11:51:16 (permalink)
    No idea if this is related, but i'm experiencing the same kind of problem:
    When I try to overclock my card using either MSI Afterburner or Precision X, as soon as i'm about 90+ on the gpu clock or 120+ on the memory clock, it also slows down to max 450 mHz. Note that this also happens when I have only MSI Kombustor or another stress test running. Like I said, dont know if it's related but if so, I'd be glad to hear a solution.

Intel i7-920
    EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti FTW
    8GB Corsair Vengeance
    ASUS Rampage II Extreme
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Cooler Master SilentPro 600W
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    solarnoise
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2014/10/08 01:33:56 (permalink)
    Hi guys,
    I have been experiencing this, I thought it was something else, or related to the game I was playing (TF2, Hearthstone..) but I checked GPU-Z and Precision and yes, my clock is getting "stuck" at 405, and memory at 202.5.

I was running a very modest overclock with Precision, only about +80/+100.  This is very upsetting as my 750 Ti FTW card is only a couple months old.

I am using driver 340.52 WHQL.

Mobo: ASRock Z87M OC Formula 
    GPU: EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW
    CPU: Intel i5 4670K
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB
    SDD: Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB x 2
    PSU: Corsair HX650
    HS: Corsair H60 
    Case: Corsair 350D Windowed 
    FallenTF
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2015/02/02 15:49:52 (permalink)
    Been having this same issue for the last 2 months, end of Nov/Dec (I've been using nvidia inspector switch -restartdisplaydriver , to fix it quick without rebooting). What a pita when it craps out during a game though.

For me it started when I "upgraded" from 344.60 to 344.75 and up (though I never downgraded to confirm). Apparently I was using a quite old version of precision (4.2.1) which I upgraded (to 5.2.9) hoping it would solve the issue (it didn't, seems like it's a driver issue).

Then upgraded today to latest 347.25 drivers and can't get it to crash anymore with +18/+210 (modest overclock, my usual settings since I got the card a long while ago). On top of that, going from the last drivers to latest, OC Scanner Test FPS went up from 73-80 somehow.

I'll update this within a week (or if I get it to crash before that).

Edit: Definitely a driver issue. New drivers gave me a higher stable overclock +50/+300. No more driver crashes.
    post edited by FallenTF - 2015/02/02 20:36:20
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21170
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: GTX 750 Ti clock slowdown 2015/02/02 17:30:26 (permalink)
    If it happens when overclocked, drol the speed to stock clock. The problem will then go away. ;)
    If the problem doesn't go away at stock speeds, you may have a video card problem or driver problem.

The clock gets cut in half and locked there because the graphics card has become unstable and the driver resets the graphics card into a safe mode with only half the performance. The cause of instability is usually the result of overclocking the graphics card slightly too high.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile