EVGA

Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2014/04/03 19:28:49 (permalink)
sajinor has taken on the huge task of running a Time Zone Challenge contest for our DC teams.  I've noticed from a few comments that people in the crunching subsection haven't noticed the announcement.  I think part of this has to do with the elimination of the contest subsection.

Anyway, since this contest will include both folding and crunching divisions, I wanted to give it a little more visibility to all of our dedicated crunchers by making a short post in the crunching section.  Feel free to join in and support your local time zone!

47 Replies Related Threads

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/03 20:18:03 (permalink)
    I signed up. LOVE the idea and looking forward to participating =]

RHMash
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1117
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/03 22:43:11 (permalink)
    in....

planetclown
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1692
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/04 05:49:50 (permalink)
    Signed up!  Exciting times with crunching contests coming up. 

PrimeGrid Shakespeare's Birthday (20-23 April: CPU only)
    TZC (20-30 April: CPU and/or GPU) 
    BOINC Pentathlon (5-19 May: CPU and GPU)

Feeling like Christmas eve 

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 897
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/04 16:51:01 (permalink)
    Yup, lots of contests and that's a good thing. It gets people interested.

Only one minor issue for me is all these contests is making it hard to plan the next Point Pillaging run. I don't want to have people jumping from one contest/event to another and not have time to run the projects that are personally important to them.

I am waiting to see what the projects are for the TZC and the Boinc Pentathlon. I am hoping one of them has SIMAP which is the project I was looking at for the next Point Pillaging event. If SIMAP is on the list maybe we can piggyback Point Pillaging with the other contests. Kind of like what TZC is doing with the Prime Grid Shakespeare event.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 377
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/04 17:01:04 (permalink)
    We can probably include SIMAP in the TZC if it would help. We will trying to be building a pretty big list of accepted projects, as we want people to crunch what they want. Still, I will need to wait until I see what the stats system Punchy is working on to see what all we can start including.

Is the "Remaining" under "Project Status" seen here indicating they are only sending out work for another 15 days? Or is that something else?

Primary: i9-10200x @ 4.8, LianLi Galahad 360A, EVGA x299 FTW-K, 256GB DDR4 2666, EVGA RTX 3090, LianLi O11 Air

KittyNode: i5-10400 @ 4.0, Arctic i13, ASUS ROG Strix B460I, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1650 Super, Fractal Node 304
    Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/04 17:29:29 (permalink)
    sajinor
    We can probably include SIMAP in the TZC if it would help. We will trying to be building a pretty big list of accepted projects, as we want people to crunch what they want. Still, I will need to wait until I see what the stats system Punchy is working on to see what all we can start including.

Is the "Remaining" under "Project Status" seen here indicating they are only sending out work for another 15 days? Or is that something else?

That's just a rough guess of how much work is on hand for donors to crunch before the servers run out. If you watch those numbers it fluctuates as work is done and new work is added to the server. On a good project it will fluctuate others on the other hand seem to be running out and not putting any, or very little, new work up. Mind Modeling, Malaria Control, GPU Grid, Ibercivis(no medical tasks to run, just a Prime number finder) and some others have run out of work recently forcing me to jump projects.

Mind Modeling is still out of work after running out several days ago. I think they are doing a big rework of their project and website so hopefully they will be back up and running soon.

Edit: I just took a quick look around the forums for SIMAP and that number might just be accurate in stating there is just enough work for 15 days at current production levels. All I know for sure is I am going to run SIMAP until there isn't any more work then move to another project. This seems to be the bane of projects running Bio/Medical research, running out of work for donors to crunch.
    post edited by Khalifrio - 2014/04/04 17:38:44

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/04 18:38:21 (permalink)
    The intent is to let people do the same thing they would be doing even if the TZC was not happening (although increasing production might be part of the TZC).  As long as the projects that people choose to run are included in standard BOINC stats, that should be possible.  However, non-BOINC projects like Muon1 may be just too much manual work to include.  The TZC itself is not going to limit the projects that are run (other than the non-BOINC limitation) so should not interfere with any other BOINC challenges.

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/04 19:35:15 (permalink)
    In other words business as normal running all Boinc projects only our production is going to be tracked during the event?

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/04 20:31:41 (permalink)
    Khalifrio
    In other words business as normal running all Boinc projects only our production is going to be tracked during the event?

That's what I'm hoping to achieve anyway... there could be some wrinkles, such as if someone starts on a new BOINC project they have never run before in the middle of the contest, but I'm trying to handle every case I can.

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/04 22:57:07 (permalink)
    Cool, good work. I wish I could help out with it but I don't have the talent for that kind of stuff.

yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/05 06:42:00 (permalink)
    Should we use this thread to talk about projects for the TZC, or start a new one?

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/05 06:56:46 (permalink)
    This one works for me =]

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/05 07:45:31 (permalink)
    I've never met a thread we couldn't subvert.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/05 08:51:22 (permalink)
    yodap
    Should we use this thread to talk about projects for the TZC, or start a new one?

Anywhere is fine. I have been watching all of the threads to put together the remaining info we need. I have been building a list of projects, but I won't be able to say for sure until we know what we can do for stats. 

Primary: i9-10200x @ 4.8, LianLi Galahad 360A, EVGA x299 FTW-K, 256GB DDR4 2666, EVGA RTX 3090, LianLi O11 Air

KittyNode: i5-10400 @ 4.0, Arctic i13, ASUS ROG Strix B460I, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1650 Super, Fractal Node 304
    Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 07:42:57 (permalink)
    Based on the GPU project lists in the sticky here, and also comparing to the BOINC pentathlon list, here are the projects I've got classified as GPU for the TZC divisions.  The remaining projects out of the list of 144 that boinc.netsoft-online.com covers in their stats are all classified as CPU.
    Collatz Conjecture,GPU
    Distributed Rainbow Table Generator,GPU
    Einstein@Home,GPU
    GPUGRID,GPU
    MilkyWay@home,GPU
    Moo! Wrapper,GPU
    POEM@HOME,GPU
    PrimeGrid,GPU
    SETI@home,GPU

The only one in the list that I have any qualms about is PrimeGrid, since the challenge that overlaps the TZC will be CPU-only.  

Here is the full list (note that both inactive and active projects are included):

3x+1@home,CPU
    ABC@home beta,CPU
    ABC@home,CPU
    ABC Lattices @ Home,CPU
    Albert@Home,CPU
    AlmereGrid Boinc Grid,CPU
    AlmereGrid Test,CPU
    Anansi,CPU
    AndrOINC,CPU
    APS@Home,CPU
    AQUA@home,CPU
    Asteroids@home,CPU
    BBC Climate Change Experiment,CPU
    Belgian Beer@Home,CPU
    Biochemical Library,CPU
    Bitcoin Utopia,CPU
    BOINC alpha test,CPU
    BRaTS@Home,CPU
    BURP,CPU
    CAS@home,CPU
    Cels@Home,CPU
    Charity Engine,CPU
    Chess960@Home Alpha,CPU
    climateprediction.net,CPU
    Collatz Conjecture,GPU
    Computational Structural Biology,CPU
    Constellation,CPU
    convector,CPU
    Correlizer,CPU
    Cosmology@Home,CPU
    DepSpid,CPU
    DG@Putra,CPU
    Distributed Data Mining,CPU
    Distributed Rainbow Table Generator,GPU
    DNA@Home,CPU
    DNETC@Home,CPU
    Docking@Home,CPU
    Donate@Home,CPU
    DrugDiscovery@Home,CPU
    DynaPing,CPU
    EAPS@Home,CPU
    EDGeS@Home,CPU
    Einstein@Home,GPU
    Enigma@Home,CPU
    eOn,CPU
    Eternity2.net,CPU
    Evo@home,CPU
    FightMalaria,CPU
    Folding@Home,CPU
    Genetic Life,CPU
    Gerasim@Home,CPU
    Goldbach's Conjecture,CPU
    GPUGRID,GPU
    HAL@Home,CPU
    HashClash,CPU
    Hydrogen@Home,CPU
    IBERCIVIS,CPU
    Ideologias@Home,CPU
    Intelligence Realm,CPU
    Lattice Project,CPU
    Leiden Classical,CPU
    LHC@home alpha,CPU
    LHC@home,CPU
    Linux Render Farm,CPU
    Magnetism@home,CPU
    malariacontrol.net,CPU
    Malaria Control Test Project,CPU
    Mersenne@home,CPU
    MilkyWay@home,GPU
    MindModeling@Home,CPU
    Moo! Wrapper,GPU
    Nagrzewanie stali @ HOME,CPU
    Najmanovich Research Group,CPU
    Nano-Hive@Home,CPU
    Neurona@Home,CPU
    Neuron,CPU
    NFS@Home,CPU
    NQueens Project,CPU
    NumberFields@home,CPU
    OProject,CPU
    OPTIMA@HOME,CPU
    orbit@home,CPU
    physics@home,CPU
    PicEvolvr,CPU
    Pirates@Home,CPU
    POEM@HOME,GPU
    pPot Tables,CPU
    Predictor@Home,CPU
    primaboinca,CPU
    PrimeGrid,GPU
    Project Sudoku,CPU
    proteins@home,CPU
    QMC@HOME,CPU
    Quake Catcher Network,CPU
    QuantumFIRE alpha,CPU
    Radioactive@Home,CPU
    Radio Network Design,CPU
    RALPH@Home,CPU
    Ramsey,CPU
    Rectilinear Crossing Number,CPU
    Renderfarm.fi,CPU
    RenderFarm@Home,CPU
    Reversi,CPU
    RieselSieve,CPU
    Rioja Science,CPU
    RNA World,CPU
    Rosetta@home,CPU
    RSA Lattice Siever,CPU
    SAT@home,CPU
    SciLINC,CPU
    Seasonal Attribution,CPU
    SETI@home Beta,CPU
    SETI@home,GPU
    SHA-1 Collision Search Graz,CPU
    SIMAP,CPU
    SimOne@home,CPU
    SLinCA@Home,CPU
    Spinhenge@home,CPU
    SubsetSum@Home,CPU
    sudoku@vtaiwan,CPU
    Superlink@Technion,CPU
    Surveill@Home,CPU
    SZTAKI Desktop Grid,CPU
    TANPAKU,CPU
    Test4Theory,CPU
    theSkyNet POGS,CPU
    TMRL DRTG,CPU
    TSP,CPU
    uFluids,CPU
    UH Second Computing,CPU
    VGTU@Home,CPU
    Virtual Prairie,CPU
    Virus Respiratorio Sincitial,CPU
    Volpex@UH,CPU
    Volunteer Computing Project,CPU
    vtu@home,CPU
    WEP-M+2,CPU
    Wildlife@Home,CPU
    World Community Grid,CPU
    WUProp@Home,CPU
    XtremLab,CPU
    YAFU,CPU
    yoyo@home,CPU
    Zivis Superordenador Ciudadano,CPU

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 09:21:25 (permalink)
    That's great! Are we going to be able to pull stats for all of the projects, or are we looking at whittling the list down?

PrimeGrid does make itself a bit tricky. If put in the GPU division, the time during the PrimeGrid Challenge will be much less significant, while if we put it in the CPU division, it could end up dominating the division for those that run GPU as well. Of course, I think most crunchers intending to take place in the PrimeGrid Challenge will do so regardless of the division we put it in. They are cool that way. 

No list will be perfect and we will have to do the best we can. It will be fun either way, and we can always work towards improving it next year.

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 09:56:58 (permalink)
    I think the simple solution would be to make projects that offer GPU and CPU work count as GPU only. There is no way to separate out where the points come from, GPU or CPU. The thing I have noticed is that GPU points are almost always higher making the CPU portion a drop in the bucket, plus the CPU tasks tend to have a longer run time. So there won't be any point in trying to cheat by running both CPU and GPU on one project. Its rare that I will run both CPU and GPU on one project simply because the CPU tasks take longer to run and points are less compared to time to run each task.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 11:20:54 (permalink)
    sajinor
    That's great! Are we going to be able to pull stats for all of the projects, or are we looking at whittling the list down?

We can track them all, thanks to netsoft-online.com's stats aggregation.  We are limited to their list, which is not quite as extensive as free-dc or boincstats, but I think it covers most of the major projects.

sajinorPrimeGrid does make itself a bit tricky. If put in the GPU division, the time during the PrimeGrid Challenge will be much less significant, while if we put it in the CPU division, it could end up dominating the division for those that run GPU as well. Of course, I think most crunchers intending to take place in the PrimeGrid Challenge will do so regardless of the division we put it in. They are cool that way. 

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

Khalifrio
    I think the simple solution would be to make projects that offer GPU and CPU work count as GPU only.
    Agreed, and if I have missed any, let me know.  I tried to pull from a few sources to make sure I covered them all.
    KhalifrioThere is no way to separate out where the points come from, GPU or CPU.

Well, there is a way: if people are honest when they fill out the contest form, and specify only CPU or only GPU, then we "know".  But that adds a little complexity and might unbalance things, so it's probably best to put the points from a particular project in the same bucket regardless of the user.
    KhalifrioThe thing I have noticed is that GPU points are almost always higher making the CPU portion a drop in the bucket, plus the CPU tasks tend to have a longer run time. So there won't be any point in trying to cheat by running both CPU and GPU on one project. Its rare that I will run both CPU and GPU on one project simply because the CPU tasks take longer to run and points are less compared to time to run each task.

This was exactly the reasoning that led me to propose the division of CPU and GPU in the first place, but since I rarely even have a GPU plugged in, it's nice to hear it from someone that uses both technologies.

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 12:19:51 (permalink)
    The thing I find amazing is that more projects are not working towards converting their projects over to GPU only, or at least offer a GPU task in addition to the CPU tasks they have already. Lets face it, a GPU can do this kind of work faster than a CPU can. The only advantage to a CPU is the multi core/multi thread enabling it to do more tasks at the same time.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 15:27:06 (permalink)
    I have a first pass done on the stats and if you were an early entrant for the TZC I'd appreciate it if you look through this output and see if it's catching the numbers you would expect for the last 24 hours or so.  This isn't official or anything - the contest hasn't started yet, but I want to get some testing done beforehand.  It won't match up exactly to any other stats site because I didn't start/stop at midnight, but see if you are getting credited with points for what you are running.  From the warning messages (lines starting with a "*") it looks like both Khali and UncleGregy just started running Collatz in the last day or so - is that right?

-----------------------------------
    sajinor, team Pacific
    project Einstein@Home points delta 19993

planetclown, team Eastern
    project MilkyWay@home points delta 294

bcavnaugh, team Mountain
    project PrimeGrid points delta 45023
    project malariacontrol.net points delta 6574
    project POEM@HOME points delta 896
    project MilkyWay@home points delta 207
    project IBERCIVIS points delta 3546
    project GPUGRID points delta 104850
    project Collatz Conjecture points delta 4589750

Opolis, team Pacific
    project SIMAP points delta 17
    project Asteroids@home points delta 960
    project theSkyNet POGS points delta 336

gregnrose, team Central
    project World Community Grid points delta 2876

RHMash, team Pacific
    project WUProp@Home points delta 70

Khali, team Eastern
    project World Community Grid points delta 66
    project SIMAP points delta 6684
    project IBERCIVIS points delta 81
    project WUProp@Home points delta 140
    project GPUGRID points delta 142800
    *base points not found for user Khali project Collatz Conjecture, assuming 0
    project Collatz Conjecture points delta 153305

UncleGregy, team Central
    project Enigma@Home points delta 11733
    project yoyo@home points delta 132
    *base points not found for user UncleGregy project Collatz Conjecture, assuming
    project Collatz Conjecture points delta 455370
    project Asteroids@home points delta 480

Afterburners, team Pacific
    project MilkyWay@home points delta 14695
    project GPUGRID points delta 266250

Viper97, team Pacific

tanner2, team Central
    project World Community Grid points delta 14734

LearjetMinako, team Central
    project World Community Grid points delta 664

Steak House, team Eastern

yodap, team Eastern
    project World Community Grid points delta 139
    project MilkyWay@home points delta 214
    project Collatz Conjecture points delta 1252566
    project Constellation points delta 252
    project Asteroids@home points delta 480

========== Final Tallies =============
    division Central-CPU, score 30619
    division Eastern-CPU, score 7842
    division Mountain-CPU, score 10120
    division Pacific-CPU, score 1383
    division Central-GPU, score 455370
    division Eastern-GPU, score 1549179
    division Mountain-GPU, score 4740726
    division Pacific-GPU, score 300938

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 16:14:31 (permalink)
    I ran two, a GPU and a CPU, Collatz tasks a couple of days ago and then fired it up full time on my GPU yesterday. Not sure why its saying I had no base points. There should have been a few from my first run.

Everything else looks about right. Looks like your getting a mix of yesterdays numbers and today's.

planetclown
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1692
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 16:45:39 (permalink)
    Punchy - your stats look accurate for me.  Even though I switched off MilkyWay almost a week ago, task verifications are still trickling in.

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 16:59:49 (permalink)
    Khalifrio
    I ran two, a GPU and a CPU, Collatz tasks a couple of days ago and then fired it up full time on my GPU yesterday. Not sure why its saying I had no base points. There should have been a few from my first run.

I don't know what happened to your first Collatz tasks - even free-dc doesn't show you with any Collatz points until yesterday.  It may have to do with CPID's syncing.  I grabbed the base stats yesterday afternoon so depending on when the different sites sync, they might not have been seen by netsoft-online in time.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 17:17:40 (permalink)
    Well at lest for GPU Collatz Conjecture Project has me hook.
    Our Team Crunching@EVGA even hit their Top 10 Today as well as myself, 1st Top 10 for a single Project.

Still looking for a Good CPU Project.
    Malaria Control Project Project Our Team Crunching@EVGA even hit their Top 10 Today as well.

Moving all CPU But not my 2 PrimGrid Rigs over to Docking@Home Project today to see what points per day.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/04/06 17:20:31

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 17:49:36 (permalink)
    I find GPU Grid long runs have the best point return. That's said after spending a day or so running Collatz. From what I remember Docking has pretty long run times for the point return. Its been a while since I tried Docking so I might fire it up and run a few tasks again.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 18:03:26 (permalink)
    I came to crunching to get away from the "points race".  I pick my projects primarily based on whether they work on causes I am interested in, and secondarily on supporting team efforts.  For now I am sticking with Malaria Control because I had to drop out of the points pillaging early due to heat, and in honor of Barbarossa/Urlauber, our top producer in Malaria Control.  It was a favorite of his because malaria was still an issue in one of his favorite vacation spots.  It must be pure coincidence that he came back just as I was thinking about him.

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 18:46:52 (permalink)
    I get people want to get away from the point race. But isn't the Time Zone Challenge a point race? I thought it was, which is why I made the comment I did.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 18:51:05 (permalink)
    It is a points race, but hopefully it is an incentive for people to put more production into the projects they are already interested in. And there is no harm in people putting more production into the higher point yielding projects. It is all work that needs to be done, and hopefully the TZC will make more of it get done.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Join the Time Zone Challenge (folding AND crunching)! 2014/04/06 19:16:51 (permalink)
    We each do it for our own cause, so we really should not punch each other around.
    No pun intended Punchy. But it did sound good.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile