EVGA

Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7'

Author
GhostGTO
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/03/29 18:51:31 (permalink)
I am really interested in buying the Tegra Note 7, though i have some questions:

*Am i able to use keyboard and mouse (both bluetooth) at the same time for specific games, like QI4A? (no trackpad, real mouse separated from the keyboard)
*Does Google Play on this device is exclusively for games or they also accept other apps, like office suite apps, video editor app and Instant messaging apps?
*How long is the battery duration in gaming, streaming and normal app usage? Turning some games graphics on medium saves more battery?
*Am i able to use 64GB SD Card and higher on the Tegra Note?
*Does the tablet supports USB HUB, USB 3G/4G Dongle, USB Ethernet Adapter, USB Memory Card Reader and USB Sticks? Is there someway i can charge the Tablet while using the USB HUB?

24 Replies Related Threads

swiftee
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/30 05:42:51 (permalink)
    EVGA manual  says: Interfaces -> USB2.0 with host and device support

Hopefully I will get mine on Monday. But according to the luck/problems I had in getting my hands on a device over here in Europe(delays over delays),  I will not be very surprised something weired will happen. Probably the postman will get thunderstrucked right in front of my face when he is handing over the TN7........;-)

I will test a Level ONE USB/LAN adapter on the TN7
    rchrdcrg
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/30 05:57:42 (permalink)
    Hmm, let's see if I can be any help.
    1) Yes, but the game has to support mouse and keyboard controls
    2) The Google Play store is the same store for any device... apps, games, etc.
    3) Some people have been having battery issues, but not me. Playing games will definitely eat the battery up pretty quick, but in standby or just using the device for regular non-gaming tasks, the battery life has been excellent for me. There are settings both on the tablet and in many games that will likely extend battery life while playing, but I always leave everything all the way up since the main reason I bought it was to take my Android gaming to the next level.
    4) There is a post here on the forums discussing this topic... some 64GB cards work and some don't, and the new 128GB will almost definitely not work. The post goes into more detail, including specific cards that have been verified to work.
    5) I'm not sure if those little Y-adapters work on this, so I'm not sure if you can charge it and also plug something else in, but I have a USB OTG cable that I use all the time for controllers and thumb drives. As for dongles for mobile data or ethernet, I'm going to guess they don't work, but I haven't tried and haven't really heard from anyone else here.
    GhostGTO
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/30 15:29:59 (permalink)
    rchrdcrg
    Hmm, let's see if I can be any help.

1) Yes, but the game has to support mouse and keyboard controls
    2) The Google Play store is the same store for any device... apps, games, etc.
    3) Some people have been having battery issues, but not me. Playing games will definitely eat the battery up pretty quick, but in standby or just using the device for regular non-gaming tasks, the battery life has been excellent for me. There are settings both on the tablet and in many games that will likely extend battery life while playing, but I always leave everything all the way up since the main reason I bought it was to take my Android gaming to the next level.
    4) There is a post here on the forums discussing this topic... some 64GB cards work and some don't, and the new 128GB will almost definitely not work. The post goes into more detail, including specific cards that have been verified to work.
    5) I'm not sure if those little Y-adapters work on this, so I'm not sure if you can charge it and also plug something else in, but I have a USB OTG cable that I use all the time for controllers and thumb drives. As for dongles for mobile data or ethernet, I'm going to guess they don't work, but I haven't tried and haven't really heard from anyone else here.

1) Perfect. I also want to use it as a Mini Laptop and to play Flash games. Less usage of touchscreen is better for me.
    2) Perfect too.
    3) Maybe a good workaround is to play on the tab with the charger connected? Also, i'll just play games on medium settings.
    4) Sandisk maybe works? Can't we even try to partition the 128GB card in 4x32GB card? It's easy to do this when using Ubuntu.
    5) Let's hope it works. I want to charge it and connect at least the USB Printer and use a USB Stick and Joypad on the HUB. Well, a workaround about mobile data would be turn the phone into a wifi router, i guess.

Now, more questions:
    6) Are there plans for PC game streaming in the future?
    7) Does the keymapper works for emulating Real Android controllers (MOGA, Nyko)?
    8) Is the USB Speed good enough to stream 1080p movies on a USB Stick?
    9) Is the device able to survive until the release of the Tegra K1's sucessor (in Gaming)? I might not be able to buy a K1 device this year, so i'll save money to buy the K1's sucessor device in the future.
    10) Am i able to transfer games and apps from the internal memory to the external SD card?
    GhostGTO
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/30 15:29:59 (permalink)
    Sorry for the double posting. It was unintentional and i'm on a mobile device. Possibly it's a bug.
    post edited by GhostGTO - 2014/03/30 15:31:30
    Telrunya
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 128
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/30 17:01:08 (permalink)
    GhostGTO
    I am really interested in buying the Tegra Note 7, though i have some questions:

1) Am i able to use keyboard and mouse (both bluetooth) at the same time for specific games, like QI4A? (no trackpad, real mouse separated from the keyboard)
    2) Does Google Play on this device is exclusively for games or they also accept other apps, like office suite apps, video editor app and Instant messaging apps?
    3) How long is the battery duration in gaming, streaming and normal app usage? Turning some games graphics on medium saves more battery?
    4) Am i able to use 64GB SD Card and higher on the Tegra Note?
    5) Does the tablet supports USB HUB, USB 3G/4G Dongle, USB Ethernet Adapter, USB Memory Card Reader and USB Sticks? Is there someway i can charge the Tablet while using the USB HUB?
    6) Are there plans for PC game streaming in the future?
    7) Does the keymapper works for emulating Real Android controllers (MOGA, Nyko)?
    8) Is the USB Speed good enough to stream 1080p movies on a USB Stick?
    9) Is the device able to survive until the release of the Tegra K1's sucessor (in Gaming)? I might not be able to buy a K1 device this year, so i'll save money to buy the K1's sucessor device in the future.
    10) Am i able to transfer games and apps from the internal memory to the external SD card?

Answers for the ones I'm confident answering:

1) As rchrdcrg said, "the game has to support mouse and keyboard controls."
    2) Full Google Play store access.

4) I use a Sandisk 64GB MicroSD card. Had to format it to FAT32 though, so I'm limited to a maximum file size of 4GB. Don't know if a 128GB card would work.
    5) Unsure, but the Tegra Note 7 does support USB OTG. I have a cable that'll charge the device and allow USB access at the same time, but the power that trickles isn't enough to offset the battery drain while gaming. If only the TN7 had 2 MicroUSB ports.
    6) Maybe. I don't think the TN7 meets Nvidia's requirements though.
    7) Unsure as I'm running an older version of the OS that lacks Game Mapper. Will explain in my answer for 10.

9) Depends how far game developers push the Tegra K1. May not be able to run every game on max settings.
    10) This is a tricky question. If the tablet is running the older 4.3 firmware, yes. If its running the latest 4.4 firmware, maybe. Most users here have reported problems with the "Move to SD Card" feature after updating to 4.4 KitKat. Reverting the SD card permissions helps, but that requires root access and problems can still occur. As far as I'm aware there hasn't been a second 4.4 update full of bug fixes yet.
    post edited by Telrunya - 2014/03/30 17:09:10
    GhostGTO
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/30 18:26:46 (permalink)
    Telrunya
    5) Unsure, but the Tegra Note 7 does support USB OTG. I have a cable that'll charge the device and allow USB access at the same time, but the power that trickles isn't enough to offset the battery drain while gaming. If only the TN7 had 2 MicroUSB ports.

Well, this is bad. But i guess i won't really need the Y cable to play when i buy a BT joypad. I would use it more for watch HD videos and for work to be honest.
    swiftee
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/31 08:52:45 (permalink)
    Got mine today and I tested it with a Level One "USB-0301 USB Fast Ethernet Adapter" and of course it doesn't work. I updated android in hopes of any changes and tested it on 4.2.2,  4.3 and 4.4.2. but to no success. 

Seems to me that the TN7 doesn't have the appropriate drivers for that device on board. The two LEDs on the USB/LAN adapter light up when connected to the TN7 and the NTswitch(so power draw should be good) but no ethernet device shows up in the network settings like it does with my cheap lenovo/Medion tablet........what a surprise.

I tested the USB/LAN adapter on two 10" androids tablets, a Samsung Tab3 and the Medion tablet(belongs to lenovo). 
    1. The Samsung(4.2.2) gives a message that the USB/LAN adapter draws too much power and therefore disables it. So I guess with a active USB Hub the Samsung should work.
    2. The Medion/lenovo tablet works with it right out of the box with android 4.2.2(Browser, GooglePlay, GoogleMaps .... all works fine the only exception is the android OS update that does only work over WLAN). If I remember this correctly the Medion tablet was advertised with a USB Host functionality like the TN7............but for some reason they forgot the drivers on the TN7 ?

Anyone infos on that issue?
    post edited by swiftee - 2014/03/31 08:57:20
    astuermer
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/31 09:21:39 (permalink)
    Hello there

Can anybody tell me, if the display is really that awful many reviewers write?
    Colors too white/washed out, to much gap between panel and glass, etc.

Kind regards
    Andreas
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/31 11:47:53 (permalink)
    astuermer
    Hello there

Can anybody tell me, if the display is really that awful many reviewers write?
    Colors too white/washed out, to much gap between panel and glass, etc.

Kind regards
    Andreas

Probably about the same as Nexus 7 2012, I read this panel may be the same as previous Amazon Kindle.  Only thing is in certain bright light at sharp angle, the touchscreen lines are noticeable. It has lcd power saving mode as default, so turning it off makes a bit brighter on average, or just use manual control.
    astuermer
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/03/31 12:07:57 (permalink)
    Thanks! I owned a Nexus 7 2012 and the display was quite OK. Currently I am on a Nexus 7 2013 which I assume has a better display ;)

Any info on the glass itself?
    Is it scratch resistant? Some kind of Gorilla Glass or so?
    Gapless display or how this is called? ;)
    post edited by astuermer - 2014/03/31 12:11:09
    Nourishing
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/01 18:50:56 (permalink)
    GhostGTO

*Am i able to use keyboard and mouse (both bluetooth) at the same time for specific games, like QI4A? (no trackpad, real mouse separated from the keyboard)
    *Does Google Play on this device is exclusively for games or they also accept other apps, like office suite apps, video editor app and Instant messaging apps?
    *How long is the battery duration in gaming, streaming and normal app usage? Turning some games graphics on medium saves more battery?
    *Am i able to use 64GB SD Card and higher on the Tegra Note?
    *Does the tablet supports USB HUB, USB 3G/4G Dongle, USB Ethernet Adapter, USB Memory Card Reader and USB Sticks? Is there someway i can charge the Tablet while using the USB HUB?

Don't waste your time its not many games that play with this. I could not even get the bluetooth controller and things to work with it. I just had mine shut down and I got it last month. KitKat update if you do still want to buy one don't do it. You won't be able to do much.
    tsbrewers
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/01 21:11:27 (permalink)
    bluetooth works fine on mine,

the gamepad mapper app works great with the moga gamepads (and others I am assuming)

to get an usb thumb drive to work, I had to use an app like SELinuxModeChanger    This requires root.  I have not tried any other USB things. I have used dslr controller and that works fine. 

screen has been just fine for me.  

the screen does scratch very easily, so get a protector on immediately

astuermer
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/02 11:07:15 (permalink)
    I tried the OTA to 4.3 but the update halts in recovery and I was still at 4.2.2.
    So I manually updated to 4.3 and 4.4.2 - and in both (4.3 and 4.4.2) I have constant freezes.
    Later it refused to boot - halts in booting up. Entering bootloader mode doesnt work - it always boots up the device.

Can anybody help?
    post edited by astuermer - 2014/04/02 11:51:20
    swiftee
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/02 23:35:02 (permalink)
    Reset to factory settings?
    astuermer
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/03 12:53:13 (permalink)
    Didn't help.
    Flashing manually 4.2.2 back and 2 retries with OTA and everything worked.

Seems the Tegra Note is a very cheap device...
    Sadly most Tegra 4 enabled games won't work or even download on it.
    Zombie Driver THD has black screen, Riptide GP2 doesn't recognize the Tegra4 GPU and shows normal GFX, and so on.
    gadgetboi
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/03 15:39:05 (permalink)
    astuermer
    Didn't help.
    Flashing manually 4.2.2 back and 2 retries with OTA and everything worked.

Seems the Tegra Note is a very cheap device...
    Sadly most Tegra 4 enabled games won't work or even download on it.
    Zombie Driver THD has black screen, Riptide GP2 doesn't recognize the Tegra4 GPU and shows normal GFX, and so on.

Zombie Driver THD plays great on the Note, although I have received low memory on occasion; shadows=Tegra4, something is not right with your tablet. Last time I played GP2 it was good too, but I don't have any screen caps.

I think in general some of the game makers are slow/ignore supporting the Note, a game will be supported for the Shield but not the Note. 

SFF - ITX | Fractal Node 304/MSI Z87 itx | i5 4670K | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 |NVIDIA GeForce EVGA GTX 750Ti SC | 120GB HyperX SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SDD/HDD | Win7 x64 | Corsair TX750w

EVGA Tegra Note -Tegra 4 -4.4.2 | HTC One X+ -Tegra 3 -4.2.2 | Asus Transformer Prime TF201 -Tegra 3 
    MrBlargMan
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/14 22:36:08 (permalink)
    I wanted to jump in and add some information here since the bluetooth mouse & keyboard subject came up here earlier.
    Users buying new TN7's should either receive their device running Android 4.2 Jellybean or 4.4 KitKat (I think the LTE's will have KitKat).
    Users such as myself who upgraded to and are currently still running 4.3 Jellybean will have bluetooth keyboard issues without ROOT access to fix it.
    I recently purchased a mouse and keyboard for my TN7 still running 4.3 and am unable to connect the keyboard.
    After some research, I guess there is a bug in Android 4.3 that scrambles the keystroke signals or something.
    On the other hand, the mouse works great.

After my warranty runs out, I plan on updating and rooting for maximum usability...

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition @ 4.8ghz
    16gb DDR3 1600
    2x SLI GTX 660TI FTW 3gb
    Dual Monitors
    Tegra Note 7 - 4.3 JellyBean
    GhostGTO
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/20 11:50:20 (permalink)
    I really would like to buy the Tegra Note. But in my country it is not sold by EVGA. It is sold by Gradiente. I would like if there is some kind of difference between the Brazilian version to the North American version. I am really interested in using BT Keyboard case and mouse but i'm afraid Gradiente has removed this feature so far.
    Llopps
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/21 23:04:54 (permalink)
    GhostGTO
    I really would like to buy the Tegra Note. But in my country it is not sold by EVGA. It is sold by Gradiente. I would like if there is some kind of difference between the Brazilian version to the North American version. I am really interested in using BT Keyboard case and mouse but i'm afraid Gradiente has removed this feature so far.

They are all the same unit, manufactured by Nvidia and just distributed and branded by whoever.  As a EVGA rep told me, EVGA neither manufactures the hardware or supplies software updates for the Note.

That being said, Nvidia refuses to directly support this product in any way when contacted directly.

This a product no one stands behind, and everyone tries to pass the buck on when issues come up.  DO NOT buy a Tegra Note.  Spend the extra money and buy a new Nexus 7, or spend the same money and buy a used one.
    It Is and feels like a cut rate product that Nvidia pushed out the door and was too ashamed of the result to even self brand it.

fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/22 14:14:21 (permalink)
    Llopps
    GhostGTO

They are all the same unit, manufactured by Nvidia and just distributed and branded by whoever.  As a EVGA rep told me, EVGA neither manufactures the hardware or supplies software updates for the Note.

That being said, Nvidia refuses to directly support this product in any way when contacted directly.

This a product no one stands behind, and everyone tries to pass the buck on when issues come up.  DO NOT buy a Tegra Note.  Spend the extra money and buy a new Nexus 7, or spend the same money and buy a used one.
    It Is and feels like a cut rate product that Nvidia pushed out the door and was too ashamed of the result to even self brand it.

This is sold this way to provide localized marketing and support.  If you buy a car at a dealer the dealer is who you deal with, not the manufacturer.  All the companies make money from it so they are supposed to provide support.  No different than any of these graphic cards which are sold the same way.

In this case whoever sells it, Gradiente, etc is supposed to know what they are selling. In other words what version of OS do they have.  To me it is an inexpensive tablet, but one of the fastest ones available with extra features, which is what I was looking for.

I would say that there seems to be variation in quality.  Some have many issues, others have few to none. 
    post edited by fm123 - 2014/04/22 14:33:51
    Llopps
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/22 14:59:41 (permalink)
     EVGA is unable to provide real support for the product, because they are not responsible for the hardware or software... which they openly admit.  On hard questions they say contact Nvidia.  In return Nvidia says they do not/will not support the product directly, contact EVGA.

This tablet is "no body's baby".

And as for QC, it's just laughable. More importantly, It's inexcusable.
    slybunda
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/23 11:08:07 (permalink)
    It is a buggy tablet but its probably the fastest tablet out at the moment. Foir the price its well worth it. I just wish it had 2gig ram then it would be unstoppable
    Fiv3Score
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/04/23 14:10:27 (permalink)
    Despite all its issues, I still love mine to death. Use it everyday and hardly ever turn on my desktop PC anymore. Though I'll be selling it and picking up the K1 as soon as its out.
    GhostGTO
    Re: Questions before buying the Tegra Note 7' 2014/05/03 03:36:11 (permalink)
    I gave up of buying the TN7 and brought the SHIELD instead.

Admins, feel free to close the thread.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile