EVGA

Before it gets too hot... (TZC Dev Thread)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sajinor
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2014/03/28 21:03:57 (permalink)
It has been very quiet in the contest area of the DC forums. Despite this, I thought I would take a shot at gauging interest in some sort of contest/challenge before the folding season is really over. I am completely willing to set up a contest, although my qualities are limited to an abundance of free time and simple web tools. Help would certainly make it better (stats especially), but I could patch something together on my own, if need be. The aim would be for late April or May. I know its already getting warmer for many, but we can still squeeze it in for some.

If many are interested, I could put in a survey to see what sort of contest you all would like to do. This can be similar to the Time Zone Challenge, the March Madness style (May Madness?), or something completely new. I would love to hear your ideas and it would be even better if we could include our friends over on the crunching side. Still, it would need to be something generally simple, so we can hit the ground running and get it up and running in short order.

With all the changes and uncertainty in points at the moment, (core 15 vs 17) I think it would really add some interesting elements to the mix. Throwing in crunchers could make for a very unique contest as well.

Feel free to post your ideas here or PM me if you aren't comfortable with putting it out in public yet. And, of course, if there interest isn't there this year, we can just move on. I would just like to have a little fun this year, even if its a small deal.

Fold on, Crunch on, Game on, Sleep on, or whatever you do 
post edited by sajinor - 2014/04/02 18:08:28

Primary: i9-10200x @ 4.8, LianLi Galahad 360A, EVGA x299 FTW-K, 256GB DDR4 2666, EVGA RTX 3090, LianLi O11 Air

KittyNode: i5-10400 @ 4.0, Arctic i13, ASUS ROG Strix B460I, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1650 Super, Fractal Node 304

56 Replies Related Threads

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/29 04:09:41 (permalink)
    Well as far as I know CC is not happening - blame a little on stanford - some on team apathy - some on OCF's Adak passing,
    and the one I blame it on (and so does OCF) is the CC forums (and the lack of openness and transparency.
    it was the reason I was against using it - but talk into it again ( opening up the process more)

anyways if there was one it be straight PPD - no more handicaps 
    if someone else wants to step in and give it a go - contact BWG at OCN

the only 3 teams talking is us, OCN,OCF (after a huge delay)

if you want want in April... CC is not happening as far as I know

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/29 09:02:23 (permalink)
    I was thinking more on the lines on an in-house contest. I am thinking it would take more time to set up a cross-team deal, and having under a month to do it in is pretty constricting. That said, if enough people want to do a cross-team competition, and think we can set it up quickly enough, I am game to put it together the best I can. I am very open, I would just like to do something.

Primary: i9-10200x @ 4.8, LianLi Galahad 360A, EVGA x299 FTW-K, 256GB DDR4 2666, EVGA RTX 3090, LianLi O11 Air

KittyNode: i5-10400 @ 4.0, Arctic i13, ASUS ROG Strix B460I, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1650 Super, Fractal Node 304
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/29 16:24:58 (permalink)
    I'm up for any kind of folding contest, I'm glad you posted that Sajinor.  It's been too long since we have had one. Even a short one, would be great. I'm curious what kind of interest there is?   

Edit: Bill when is the challenge? This may interfere with some crunchers depending on timing....
    post edited by notfordman - 2014/03/29 16:26:18
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/29 16:33:09 (permalink)
    Yes, what Bill is talking about is what Folding needs.  A way to have some competitive fun without having to expect all the resources/management to come from a single team member (or several).  Contests need some way to get/report stats or the whole thing loses the measurement that is needed to show progress and motivate people.  Keep the contest short this time of year even through May.  If the PrimeGrid folks tried to run a 15-day contest in April or May, I'd have to bow out (too much heat across too much time).  A 3-5 day contest is better when outdoor temps have already began to rise. 

I have no expertise in managing contests like we have had here in the past and having the same people run them for years is also unrealistic (they get tired, burn out or just don't have the time).  Wish I had an easy answer for this and maybe someone will figure it out in the course of this discussion.  I do see/feel the need for the Folding community to have some fun.  As Bill suggested, join us over for some of the Crunching contests if nothing else.  The EVGA Crunching team and Folding teams are really "one" in my belief and we should "play together".

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2969
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/29 17:01:40 (permalink)
    I think it would be fun to have a Time Zone Challenge with a new twist - the competition has 3 divisions: folding, crunching (CPU) and crunching (GPU).  I split out CPU and GPU BOINC because some GPU projects like GPUgrid tend to award far higher points than CPU projects like WCG.

Each division is scored separately and placed, then your team gets points for their placing in each division, the points are added together, and an overall winner is crowned.

Edit: changed "class" to "division"
    post edited by Punchy - 2014/03/29 17:02:49

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/29 21:33:41 (permalink)
    Punchy
    I think it would be fun to have a Time Zone Challenge with a new twist - the competition has 3 divisions: folding, crunching (CPU) and crunching (GPU).  I split out CPU and GPU BOINC because some GPU projects like GPUgrid tend to award far higher points than CPU projects like WCG.

Each division is scored separately and placed, then your team gets points for their placing in each division, the points are added together, and an overall winner is crowned.

Edit: changed "class" to "division"

I very much like this idea of the multiple division TZC. I was thinking of something very similar each time I was thinking about mixing folding and crunching challenges. I wasn't sure of the most effective way of creating divisions as I have done crunching of all of 3 days so far, and only 1 project. I don't know much about crunching and the points in comparison to folding or from one project to another. But Punchy's idea is effective and relatively easy to implement, providing it is easy enough to separate CPU and GPU projects.

I understand a long contest is going to be difficult for people with the temperatures as they are. However, the beauty of the TZC is that you don't really need to fold or crunch for the entire period of time. Your input for just one day will help your team out, as there is no throttling or balancing. If we go forward with anything, we will try to balance time for everyone as well as possible. If anything, this may end up being more of a beta run, laying groundwork for a solid run next winter.

yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/30 05:11:30 (permalink)
    The upcoming PrimeGrid contest is CPU only and would not interfere with GPU folders.

I like Punchy's idea of a cross project contest and we would have to choose the projects wisely. Last year the Boinc Pentathlon was held. 5 projects in 10 days or some such thing. The projects lasted 3-4 days each so there was overlap which allowed crunchers to jump back and forth. Throwing folding into the mix would be cool.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/30 16:23:26 (permalink)
    On Punchy's idea, would it be more interesting to run the divisions at 3 different times, or all 3 together? I was thinking together, as it would allow people to choose their strategy. I know it would mean spreading out our collaborative power, but I also know there are some people who don't really want to bother installing and/or learning a new program just for a week or two (be it from folding or from crunching to the other side).

Another topic. Where would one find a stats file for crunching? I have started to work on the one on folding to see what I can do on my own.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/30 18:11:20 (permalink)
    I was also thinking the divisions would run simultaneously (or they wouldn't really be divisions).  Then people can just keep doing their favorite project(s).
    As far as crunching stats go, there are a few sites that aggregate BOINC stats from most projects.  However, if we are to split CPU and GPU, it might be better to get stats from the individual project sites.  Many of them have published APIs and queries to get user stats.  For this go-round, though, we may need to do it manually.

planetclown
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1692
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/31 05:58:59 (permalink)
    This might be the perfect time to try the subteams/divisions concept (follow the link & search for subteams) over at free-dc.org.  In theory one EVGA division would be for Folding GPU, one for crunching GPU, and the last for a crunching CPU division.  All points still go under the EVGA umbrella but free-dc handles the division stats for us.  Here's a discription from their FAQ.

12. How do Subteam / Divisions work?

If you change your username at enough projects to include a name within square brackets [] like [MegaTeam] then the stats will create that subteam of your main team. This way you can belong to an overall team (and credits go to them) whilst joining together with some close friends to form a mini team. There are a few limitations given this is only processed client side. Rankings are done for subteams both project and teamrank, but if a user joins or leaves the team the credits come or go with them for that subteam/division. There is space for a subteam description. This is much like the team description you would normally setup at a project page in that it will handle bbcode and graphics linked via html. There is currently no mechanism for adding it through, so please feel free to contact Bok in the forums or in any other way and request it - Forum

Not entirely sure this would work for F@H since it does require you to change the name in the client.  Ideally the F@H passkey would mitigate this, but most stats sites perform look-ups by name and not passkey.  So this could at least handle the BOINC side of things, since project stats are tied to an email address/CPID and not the user name.  

Again, in theory...

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/31 07:45:02 (permalink)
    You know, I've read that subteam stuff before, and it's still clear as mud to me.  Does that end up splitting your points between multiple user names?

I'm in favor of something that takes minimal or no changes on the user side, particularly since this needs to get going short-term.  What if we create 6 divisions per time zone (GPU folding, CPU folding, GPU+CPU folding, GPU crunching, CPU crunching, GPU+CPU crunching), and each person declares their folding and crunching divisions in advance.  The nice thing about splitting out the categories is that it prevents any one type of technology that tends to get higher points from completely dominating the competition.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/31 09:20:13 (permalink)
    From a stats side, I am not sure how we would be able to see the difference between GPU and CPU folding. It is basically just taking a points update every hour. There is nothing indicating what sort of WU was done. And folding has always been dominated by whatever technology is best at the time. While it would be great to give a reason to push SMP folding, I don't think we would be able to easily.

In my mind, I am seeing separating crunching by projects, ones that utilize CPU only and then ones that utilize both or GPU only. Someone using only a CPU to crunch a project that can utilize a GPU as well will still be included in the latter category. To make it easy on the stats collector (me, at this point) we should probably make a list of approved projects for each category. This would make it so one would only have to check statistics from those said projects. Maybe somewhere around a dozen projects? It can be more, of course, I just don't want someone to miss points because I didn't collect from a more obscure project.

I think we will have to stick to a 3 division race for this time unless someone knows an alternate way to collect stats.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/31 09:26:46 (permalink)
    sajinor
    From a stats side, I am not sure how we would be able to see the difference between GPU and CPU folding. It is basically just taking a points update every hour. There is nothing indicating what sort of WU was done. [...]

I think we will have to stick to a 3 division race for this time unless someone knows an alternate way to collect stats.

It's trivial - when people sign up, they declare which division they want to be placed in.  They can tell the truth, or they can lie.  Then the stats are kept separately - if there were 3 time zones, for example, there would be 9 different folding groups to score.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/31 09:53:29 (permalink)
    Personally, I like not limiting people to what they signed up under. This would allow people to jump some of their power over to another division to try and bring their team up in that ranking. It creates a little competition and strategy in deciding how to distribute computing power, if they so choose to.

Forgot to mention before. I should be able to get a thread and sign-up page going this week, if we iron out the rules and run-time. I was looking at April 20th to April 30th. Shorter than most challenges, but temperature is limiting to people, and I wanted to wrap it up in time for people to prepare for and take place in the BOINC Pentathlon. Note that this is being changed to a time based, not points based, duration, as it would be difficult to have an estimate of balanced points across 3 divisions and 4 time zones.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/31 10:07:15 (permalink)
    Well, if you're going to do the stats, you are welcome to have people change divisions as often as you feel like allowing it.  The other alternative is not having divisions at all, in which case bigadv dominates folding and GPUgrid dominates crunching.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/31 10:38:35 (permalink)
    How about separating bigadv into its own division, giving us GPU+CPU folding, bigadv folding, CPU crunching, GPU crunching? Bigadv units are pretty obvious in the stats. Bigadv folders would still be able to supplement their points with GPU+CPU, but it would still fall into the bigadv folding division. That may keep the domination of hardware more well rounded. No one can dominate more than 25% of the contest. It also puts the weight back to 50/50 on folding and crunching. And if we do this again next year, we can drop back to a 3 division team, as bigadv will be gone, barring any further changes from PG.

And yeah, I wasn't thinking about how much more difficult it would be to keep track of the stats with people jumping around on projects.

Anyone else can chime in with ideas or interest too! All input is welcome.

Edit: Rephrased part of the post as a question.
    post edited by sajinor - 2014/03/31 16:41:10

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/03/31 20:57:46 (permalink)
    Working on the website. Trying to get a look at the one from 2012, but permission is needed. Would speed things along, but I am figuring it out.
    post edited by sajinor - 2014/03/31 22:37:20

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 05:20:39 (permalink)
    Looks like I'm going to have to make swag for this one!

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 10:30:55 (permalink)
    Viper97
    Looks like I'm going to have to make swag for this one!

Nice. Everyone loves some good swag!

On another note, would it be possible for someone to put together a list of the crunching projects we would like to include in the challenge? I am not very familiar with crunching, so all I can do is go with that the majority of the team has done in the past. It can be a good amount of projects, I just need to know what to put in the CPU division and what to put in the GPU division. This should be the only thing remaining in the rules setup, unless other suggestions come in.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 10:42:17 (permalink)
    This page http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teambycpid&team=Crunching%40EVGA&sort=yesterday will give you all the projects that teammates are working on.  Looks like there are 24 that had points yesterday.

If I might make a suggestion, it might be easier if, in the signup page, you have 2 text boxes available for crunchers, in which they can enter lists of the CPU and GPU projects they are working on.  That should give you the GPU/CPU split as well as the ones you might want to track for the contest.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 13:23:56 (permalink)
    Here is what I have so far, put together mostly last night and this afternoon https://sites.google.com/site/evga2014tzc/

I think most of the necessary information is there. You can sign up if you would like to, but that may be reset if there are any major changes before we officially use it. Comments would be great so I know what needs to change. I am in no way married to any of this.

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 13:44:06 (permalink)
    It looks great!  I was thinking people could enter 2 divisions (one folding and one crunching) but that might be more complexity than you want.

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 14:22:26 (permalink)
    Punchy
    It looks great!  I was thinking people could enter 2 divisions (one folding and one crunching) but that might be more complexity than you want.

Yeah, I have been back and forth on that thought. From the statistic standpoint, it would make it a little more complicated, but not overly, to allow people to be in multiple divisions. There are 3 ways that I can think of to set this up.

1. Leave it as it is. People choose one division and put everything they have at it.
    2. Allow people to choose one folding division and one crunching division. People can use their excess GPU or CPU on the other project.
    3. Allow people to choose folding and BOTH crunching divisions. Folders would then be asked if they were a bigadv folder, which would put them in the bigadv division. Then people could crunch on both divisions as well, the credit going to the division each project is in. This option should allow people to make the fewest changes to their configuration(s).

I really can do any way people prefer. I do admit the problem with leaving it as-is puts people in the situation of having wasted computing power, especially if they choose CPU crunching and they have a GPU to use. I will probably change it to option 2 or 3, depending on your thoughts.

Edit: I went ahead and did option 2 for now. It made the sign-up form longer, but other than that, it should be easy to track.

Edit 2: It appears they removed the contest section and moved this thread.
    post edited by sajinor - 2014/04/01 16:35:08

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2715
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 17:00:08 (permalink)
    Oh, hey, Contest talk!  If  you want, my hourly stats are available!  I just need to know how many people are going to be folding

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 17:13:13 (permalink)
    drougnor
    Oh, hey, Contest talk!  If  you want, my hourly stats are available!  I just need to know how many people are going to be folding

Looks like it may be a EVGA DC Strike Team effort!  So you might need to add the crunching stats!

sajinor
    iCX Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 17:14:10 (permalink)
    drougnor

Oh my, that would be wonderful. My stats system was rather rough, although I can still try it out for crunching. At this point, I have no idea how many people will be involved, as sign ups aren't really open yet. I should be able to get it open tomorrow as well as posting an official thread/announcement of the TZC.

I just noticed I have it set to kick-off on Easter day. I hope that doesn't cause any issues.

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 17:26:21 (permalink)
    We do what we can... first contest I think is always the best effort... the second contest is a refined effort... the third contest is the heck with it... Just do it! 

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 17:28:43 (permalink)
    Option 3 sounds ideal since crunchers could use all their hardware yet still keep points separate (assuming it is feasible to pull all the stats you need to make that possible).  Sadly I will be on vacation until the 30th so I won't be able to join, but I'll try to help you with stats in advance if you like.

One other thing - are you going to add a prize donation form?  I will be back at the end of the contest so I could set up the prize picker tool to handle prize distribution. 

427jmf
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 126
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Before it gets too hot... 2014/04/01 17:59:26 (permalink)
    Just wondering if the Time Zone Challenge and the PrimeGrid Challenge are going to be run at the same time ?
    If they are will or can all the CPU Cruncher be working on that ?

427jmf

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile