Author
Zagen30
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 528
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2014/03/22 09:34:54 (permalink)
https://folding.stanford....ber-meet-jingcheng-wu/
Ms. Jingcheng Wu is a new team member, whose work is to help improve communications between FAH and its donors, especially explaining (in a non-technical way) what FAH has been able to do.   Ms. Wu was born and raised in China. She moved to the US as an exchange student at age 16 and has been living in numerous parts across the US. She is a past medical student with experience in a wide range of fields such as scientific research, healthcare, education, international business, media, journalism, retail, investment banking, and performing arts with proven success. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BS in chemistry from the George Washington University. Her multi-cultural background, interest in medicine and passion to make a positive influence drove her to serve as an intern in the Pande group and contribute to their mission. She is currently living on Stanford University campus.

Core i7 3770K @4.3 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 970 SSC @1379 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit    

Affiliate code: K4BJ4FHUX5

53 Replies Related Threads

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/22 11:52:45 (permalink)
    That could possibly be a very helpful thing, if used properly. Well, at least an effort is made on Pande's part. I could see it as beneficial if Pande takes feedback from donors and act's upon it. Thanks Zagen, it is good to know!
    Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3837
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/22 18:40:28 (permalink)
    Obviously just more of the same BS rapped up in a new sh$t package. Still stinks. I'm not impressed with this new persons resume. How does any of that translate into being good at what she is appointed to do?

kerryd
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 997
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/23 00:18:53 (permalink)
    Looks like more of same old same old to me,Will know more when she posts something

ATGSteakHouse
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 788
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/23 07:14:03 (permalink)
    Good Move - Has to have better bedside manner than what we're used too.

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/23 07:36:15 (permalink)
    *Note* This is just a different view point here...

I would rather give a person a chance based on how they conduct themselves than read a resume and make judgement. "Sits back and waits"

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5064
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/23 08:25:07 (permalink)
    When I was having email discussions with Vijay back in January, he mentioned having found a lady he was "trying out" for that role.  He did say that she was not up-to-speed and just starting out.  If that is the same person that he has announced, Folders will need to give her some room to grow IMO.  If she can be a good facilitator between PG and Donors, that is a good start.  I'd say at least give her a chance and see what she can do.  I think the Folding community can help her or make it more difficult and I would hope for the former.  I don't have rose-colored glasses on either and that is because awareness and change won't be made by this new lady.  I see her as a conduit who may bring information to PG, but any real change still has to come from Vijay. 

kerryd
    SSC Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/23 11:02:08 (permalink)
    The first thing she should of done was start a tread over there . Blocked all the mods and admins from it.Asked the folders how to stop the bleeding of folders quiting and how to get some like me back into folding.

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/23 11:12:28 (permalink)
    Kerry, the FF and some of the Mods/Regulars behavior was an area that I never felt like I could get Vijay to understand or be willing to adjust.  He basically counts upon it to run just as it is currently running.  While acknowledging that there are occasional issues, he felt that they were not representative enough to warrant changing anything.  I would not expect this new "Donor relations" person to have any impact or control in that regard.  But, if it can bring more actual answers to Donors that are not filtered or spawned by non-PG people, it might help some (not all) of that situation over at the FF.

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/23 16:03:20 (permalink)
    Well first post is not promising.

"I'm very excited to be part of the PG. I'm looking forward to tell you guys about what we've been able to achieve with your help and the intriguing results from our research.

Thanks for the warm welcome!"

Doesn't look like communication(in the sense of a two way dialog) is on the agenda.

No one really needs more spam/propaganda/PR SPIN...whatever you want to call it.
    Will she have any management authority?
    I doubt it.

As of today, 26k NV GPU have been added by some corporate donor.
    KAKOSTATS shows the same 33k active donors.(so not coming from the donor base)
     So, more than 62% of the total TFLOPS is coming from this mystery addition.

VJ has mentioned that the google donation does not show up on the stats page.

The 46K NVIDIA FERMI GPU also  still show 122K active cores.

My point: VJ says that the project has reached a milestone of 40K TFLOPS.
    Yet no one knows(or apparently cares other than me) where these TFLOPS come from or how they are counted.

[link=mailto:FOLDING@HOME]FOLDING@HOME[/link].

Not really, more like folding in the cloud, or the NSA.

Should anyone care? Only if you think you are part of a distributed project.
    communication and transparency has always been a problem.

However, this is the second time that x86 TFLOPS have doubled instantly due to "improved counting"
    This doesn't pass any smell test.

I am simply amazed that no one cares.

Sorry, I don't support clandestine operations with no oversight, and no accountability.

Look at these graphs and explain how they make any sense:

http://app.johanssonrobotics.com/folding/

Say, you have a super computer, or some large rendering farm using NVIDIA FERMI GPU...
    And you decide to donate...in a five days you turn on 12K GPU for folding...and then you add a steady  444 GPU on top of that for the next 30 days...444 new cards, day in and day out for 30 straight days...until you have 26K cards all burning 200 watts each...and yet you continue to add 444 new cards every day.

Really?

Finding 200K lost bitcoins under the cushion makes about as much sense.

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2014/03/23 16:28:11
    ATGSteakHouse
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 788
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 05:50:00 (permalink)
    I can't speak to the stats but in general The University Of Stanford is recognized as a leader in this type of research (not only Pande's group).  To suggest this is some rogue operation with hidden agendas is a bit of a reach IMHO.

Here is a recent article on how our computers are being used to develop new drugs to combat cancer.
    http://news.stanford.edu/...er-protein-030614.html

For me personally, I am trying to look past the little stuff and focus on the big picture - YMMV.

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 06:02:00 (permalink)
    several years ago I would have said the exact same thing.
    Repeated incidents resulting in total denial of responsibility and refusal to provide any accountability or open disclosure have changed my mind.
    The big picture is exactly this:
    Any information that is given is at their discretion.
    Not actually taking donation dollars frees them from even the limited oversight of being a Federal charity.

blind trust is great...but it is just that...BLIND.

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 897
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 07:25:48 (permalink)
    mdk7777777
    several years ago I would have said the exact same thing.
    Repeated incidents resulting in total denial of responsibility and refusal to provide any accountability or open disclosure have changed my mind.
    The big picture is exactly this:
    Any information that is given is at their discretion.
    Not actually taking donation dollars frees them from even the limited oversight of being a Federal charity.

blind trust is great...but it is just that...BLIND.

^sums it up real well.

The fact that PG won't disclose just where they are getting all those new GPU donations from is really really strange. Come on now, what corporation would donate all that hardware and not shout to the world what they are doing just for the PR aspect of it? Not a one from my experience. All big Corporations love good PR with a passion.

The "its a secret" aspect just makes me believe its all pie in the sky numbers to make PG look good to who ever Pande has to report to at the University level. The fact he found a PR person after years of supposedly looking is just another level of "nothing to see here, move along" aspect of FAH. Give me some real factual GPU and CPU numbers to look at and you might change my mind about FAH. But they won't do that because those numbers are going down and have been for a long while. It's easier to fuddle peoples minds with this flops nonsense PG is pushing now.

I want facts and updates on what's being accomplished, what is hoped to be accomplished, along with what's being done to get to those accomplishments. I get all that from Boinc and a vast majority of the projects that use Boinc. WCG is the leader on passing along the facts and news. Their latest greatest was news about 7 new possible drug treatments for childhood cancer.

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 10:29:48 (permalink)
    Secrecy is never good. Not quite sure I understand why there's not the transparency that there should be. Why would you need to hire a relationship person if you are being open and honest. Interesting that we have yet to hear from this person. I would think that if you are in charge of donor relations then you communicate to the donors, but then again I am a simple person which is not interested in spin.
    post edited by Grey_Beard - 2014/03/24 10:36:44

Zagen30
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 528
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 14:24:21 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    Secrecy is never good. Not quite sure I understand why there's not the transparency that there should be. Why would you need to hire a relationship person if you are being open and honest. Interesting that we have yet to hear from this person. I would think that if you are in charge of donor relations then you communicate to the donors, but then again I am a simple person which is not interested in spin.

Ms. Wu's position was created because VJ felt that he doesn't have enough time to adequately interact with donors.  Given that he works 70-80 hour weeks as is, I don't think that's unreasonable.

Keep in mind the announcement was posted Saturday, which suggests she was probably officially hired on Friday.  How much were you expecting her to post over the first weekend?  She did post today on the blog a two-part overview of FAH's recent c-src research.

Core i7 3770K @4.3 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 970 SSC @1379 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit    

Affiliate code: K4BJ4FHUX5

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 14:52:01 (permalink)
    mdk7777777

Isn't all educational institutions considered charitable by FEDERAL LAW
    that's why alummi and donors are free to give $$ to any institution and get a write off

http://giving.stanford.edu/planned-giving

All gifts to Stanford are tax deductible in the United States. There may also be tax benefits for residents of other countries; see Information for International Donors. Bequests and life income gift may offer significant tax savings. See Planned Giving for more information.

All the FAH program does is free up extra $$ they would have had to put into doing the research themselves with massive Supercomputers
    thats big $$ to buy, maintain and then feed in energy

yes the FAH server system is  cumbersome but in no ways is as expensive to run, maintain a big mainframe so they save big chunks of $$ that will go to research (like other disciplines)
    Im also guessing that Stanford board of governors also divides out money donated fairly evenly amongst the different faculties...so funds from the school will be limited
    considering federal grants have decreased in recent years to all universities...so any particular faculty will do anything to reduce costs and maintain or increase funding in other ways to keep research at a high level

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

pcmaster00
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2752
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 15:02:03 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious
    mdk7777777

Isn't all educational institutions considered charitable by FEDERAL LAW
    that's why alummi and donors are free to give $$ to any institution and get a write off

Ever heard of ITT Tech, Devry or University of Phoenix.  All for profile educational institutions.  Yes the lion share of them out there are non profit, but even the ones that are for profit just set up an non profit arm for tax reasons. 

Even state run schools do it.  I went to Cal Poly Pomona, which is a state school.  Just about any non-accademic building on campus was owned and paid for by the "Cal Poly Foundation".  That includes half the "appartment type" housing, the student center, all the food service buildings on campus, even the farm store that is stocked with produce grown on campus by the Agriculture department. They get so entertwined that who knows what is non profit and what may be classified otherwise.

EVGA!!! TAKE CARE OF MY MATES!!!!   Heatware
    Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
    16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,
    All HDDs in trayless bays, 6x LG 24x DVD-RW drives, 3x Acer 22" V223W monitors

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 15:03:54 (permalink)
    Yeah, I understand.
    My point was that a stand-alone charitable 501(c)(3) corporation would have certain obligations for accounting and publishing where money goes.
    Being under the University and NIH...good luck digging those numbers out.

But  to original topic,
    Having read the post today I find:

"In order to do so, Folding@Home harness the unused computing power in personal electronic devices from volunteers worldwide. The combined computing power makes Folding@Home computing network the fastest super computer in the world.7

Which is footnoted with the following reference:

PS3 network enters record books. BBC News. 02 Nov 2007.

OK...7 years ago the ps3 network could make this claim.

I really don't see this as current or relevant communication.

just me I guess.

Which goes to my prediction that she will be acting as propagandist in chief with no emphasis on donor relations/management/accountability/transparency.

But as everyone says....it is early going so I might be proved wrong.
    I'm not going to beat a dead horse...I asked VJ twice in a thread to account for the active cores on the GPU stats and he declined to answer

https://foldingforum.org/...3&start=75#p259297
    ...I'll wait to hear if anyone gets the answer from this new source.

:)
    post edited by mdk7777777 - 2014/03/24 15:13:14
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/24 17:20:25 (permalink)
    Zagen30
    Grey_Beard

Ms. Wu's position was created because VJ felt that he doesn't have enough time to adequately interact with donors.  Given that he works 70-80 hour weeks as is, I don't think that's unreasonable.

Keep in mind the announcement was posted Saturday, which suggests she was probably officially hired on Friday.  How much were you expecting her to post over the first weekend?  She did post today on the blog a two-part overview of FAH's recent c-src research.

No doubt I am new to this stuff, as your donation and investment exceeds mine by a great amount in both time and resources.  The part that gets me, as I am also not trying to beat a dead horse and wish to be patient, is that as a relationship manager direct communication is best.  I would not post on the blog, but present an open letter to all who have donated, as there is already our e-mail addresses available.  I will wait before I give another opinion to give it time.

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/26 22:39:03 (permalink)
    texinga
    When I was having email discussions with Vijay back in January, he mentioned having found a lady he was "trying out" for that role.  He did say that she was not up-to-speed and just starting out.  If that is the same person that he has announced, Folders will need to give her some room to grow IMO.  If she can be a good facilitator between PG and Donors, that is a good start.  I'd say at least give her a chance and see what she can do.  I think the Folding community can help her or make it more difficult and I would hope for the former.  I don't have rose-colored glasses on either and that is because awareness and change won't be made by this new lady.  I see her as a conduit who may bring information to PG, but any real change still has to come from Vijay

Exactly, and that is not going to happen. Hence, "more of the same BS wrapped up in a different sh$t package". Still stinks.

Confucius say:
    If look like sh$t,
    Smell like sh$t,
    Taste like sh$t...
    It's sh$t! 

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/27 07:53:57 (permalink)
    So far I think JC is doing OK in the forum interaction with donors.  If someone over there could better throttle the self-imposed "pot stirrer's", it would be a welcome move in the mind of many donors.  It will take Vijay to decide what to do about the people at the FF that consistently operate on the negative edge with donors.  Until they do deal with that problem, it will remain a place that is basically as offensive as it is helpful.  If JC hangs out there enough, maybe she will be a new set of eyes to help convince Vijay that the FF isn't as donor-friendly as it could be.  As long as Vijay mostly depends (and listens) to the same old internal group there, his view will be limited to "everything is just ducky".

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/27 17:47:30 (permalink)
    how come there is no quote function?  or am i just missing it?
    " If someone over there could better throttle the self-imposed "pot stirrer's""

So you don't thin 7im demanding adherence to (Roberts rule of order/Miss Manners) added anything to the discussion so far? 

Yeah, I'm not going to stir the pot...let's see how long before she asks donors for questions/and or concerns.

orionthehunter
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/27 20:15:39 (permalink)
    mdk7777777

there's a button on the bottom right hand corner in the post you want to quote.
    post edited by orionthehunter - 2014/03/27 20:17:24
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/03/27 20:31:23 (permalink)
    mdk7777777
    " If someone over there could better throttle the self-imposed "pot stirrer's""

So you don't thin 7im demanding adherence to (Roberts rule of order/Miss Manners) added anything to the discussion so far? 

Yeah, I'm not going to stir the pot...let's see how long before she asks donors for questions/and or concerns.

Heh, anyone that needs to use a Sig-tag like the one he sports over there is basically warning people of what to expect...

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/08 10:02:50 (permalink)
    Well another thread deleted and locked in the FF.

https://foldingforum.org/...16&t=26122#p262194

And no, I did not take part.

People were noticing that the core counts were dropping to zero for Linux.
    Could this be related to the error I pointed out two months ago on Feb. 20th?

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25623&start=75#p259256

Today, NV CPU = 50K
    However NV Cores = 142K

After two months they will neither discuss, nor correct, nor even allow others to discuss the strange nature of the STATS reporting.

Now, would this be a great topic for a communications person to tackle?
    Or should we just ignore it and continue to lock the FF threads when people point it out?

Really?  And people say I am the one who is extreme...Looks like extreme censorship still rules on the FF.

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2014/04/08 10:13:29
    Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/13 05:23:21 (permalink)
    mdk7777777
    Well another thread deleted and locked in the FF.

https://foldingforum.org/...16&t=26122#p262194

And no, I did not take part.

People were noticing that the core counts were dropping to zero for Linux.
    Could this be related to the error I pointed out two months ago on Feb. 20th?

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25623&start=75#p259256

Today, NV CPU = 50K
    However NV Cores = 142K

After two months they will neither discuss, nor correct, nor even allow others to discuss the strange nature of the STATS reporting.

Now, would this be a great topic for a communications person to tackle?
    Or should we just ignore it and continue to lock the FF threads when people point it out?

Really?  And people say I am the one who is extreme...Looks like extreme censorship still rules on the FF.

Told you... It's all sh*t.

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/14 06:04:05 (permalink)
    PS, I see the link isn't working in my post regarding the locked thread:
    try again,

https://foldingforum.org/...c.php?f=16&t=26122
    kerryd
    SSC Member
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/14 21:57:59 (permalink)
    They maybe hired a Donor relations person but in the last month I have not seen her do any thing about Donor relations .Well its been fun folding but day my 16 cores stop bigadv is my last day folding.I gave them 4 or is it 5 months to change my mind and she will have over a month on the job.I all ready turned the GPUs off months ago , got 1 computer just setting doing nothing.My cruncher will crunch tell it dies though.Just costs to much to run 4p's to crunch when I7's do it more cost affective .
    Was fun well it lasted good luck to all that are still folding and any new folders.

Sightbain
    • Total Posts : 72
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/15 06:31:07 (permalink)
    I agree with the sentiments of the BA folders, I myself wish we could use every playstation and xbox and make Dell include FaH as part of their bloatware. However, after reading through some of the so called scandalous pande censorship topics, the vast majority of the posts seem completely reasonable and they do address the topics being discussed. As far as locking threads where the answer has been given, it is a bit iron fisted, but after the post has been answered it usually devolves into a completely different topic.

Honestly, i fold for my grandfather and everyone else out there with any of the ailments we do research for, and i could care less what the Pande Labs forum moderators are like, because I am not folding to have the privilege to post freely on a forum. I fold for the science and all the political nonsense being created and the needless drama is a distraction and a detractor to anyone interested in the actual work we do for humanity or the project itself. I wholeheartedly agree that there are huge gaps in their communication with us the donors, and I can see that their reporting system is either totally broken or is being neglected in favour of higher priority tasks, such as creating new work units. Let's not forget that they are essentially a business, they have to provide results and continue streamlining and evolving to attract new revenue sources and secure funding and i am sure at least a few of the researchers wish they could make work units for the ps3's and drag every old piece of computing hardware and put it to use, but its just not an efficient allocation of funds and man power.

Ultimately we have no say in what they do, we aren't actually donating we are volunteering our computers to their project, so instead of getting butthurt over perceived slights and imaginary duels with faceless internet forum moderators can we get worked up about the fact that half the people on these forums care more about the imaginary points they receive then the actual benefit of the work they are using their hardware for? Can we get worked up about the fact that your neighbours, your friends and your co-workers aren't folding whenever they can, as much as they can?

All i ask is that we as a team and a community here at EVGA don't get bogged down by our ego's and that we foster a good environment for growth and learning and that we attract people to our cause, to better society and the lives of others. And if you cant stand the researchers and the people in charge of FaH, then help out our friends with Crunching, there are plenty of transparent and accountable work units you can help support.

Khalifrio
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 897
    Re: Donor relations person hired 2014/04/15 08:31:07 (permalink)
    I agree with Sightbain. If your not happy with FAH and its management, and I am one of you, then move on to another Distributed Computing project and keep working for a good cause. For the good of all of us just don't shut everything off and go away with a bad feeling about the whole experience.

There are several Boinc projects that deal with various diseases. I can think of four right off hand that work with Proteins just like FAH does only these go a step beyond just studying how Proteins fold. They look at folding but go a step beyond and look at interactions between different proteins, drug interactions with proteins, and so on. There are projects focused on HIV, Cancer, Malaria, Neurological issues, mapping the human brain, and many more.

If your looking for a change of pace there are projects dealing with Mathematics, Prime Numbers, new materials for more efficient solar cells, structural engineering, tracking radiation and seismic events, and so on. There is a lot to contribute to is the point.

Just give Boinc a try. If you have questions about anything related to Boinc and getting it running you just have to ask and any one on the Crunching@EVGA team would be happy to help out.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile