EVGA

Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified.

Author
spence2000
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/02/26 05:48:07 (permalink)
Hi there,

I bought the EVGA GTX 780 Classified a few months back, and can't seem to get any program to turn off the LEDs on the side of it.

Neither the program posted here on the EVGA forums last year, or Nvidia experience works when I try to turn them off.

Now, those LEDs are *REALLY* bright, and my PC is in my bedroom and doesn't get turned off at night as it's got various scheduled systems that run overnight (I'm a games developer). The damned thing lights up my whole room!

So, how do I turn them off?

I mean, there's no way an engineer at EVGA would design and produce a £400+ gfx card where you _COULDNT_ turn them off. That'd be such appalling design that they should be sacked for it. So they must be able to be turned off some how. I just can't find out how!

Please help!

Thanks.

11 Replies Related Threads

trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 06:15:48 (permalink)
    They don't turn off.  This has been posted many times and there is no way to do it.  Best you can do it take some tape and cover them or use a darker colored marker to darken them. 

The LEDs are actually diagnostic in that they each are an indicator for a particular voltage point on the PCB.  I posted this a few weeks ago and I can dig it up, but if you do a quick search you should be able to find.  If one of the LEDs was not lit, that means there is a problem with something on the card.

[edit]  I believe the post I am talking about was in regards to a 770 Classified but same LED configuration as the 780.
    post edited by trabe3 - 2014/02/26 06:24:02

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 06:54:42 (permalink)
    trabe3
    They don't turn off.  This has been posted many times and there is no way to do it.  Best you can do it take some tape and cover them or use a darker colored marker to darken them.  The LEDs are actually diagnostic in that they each are an indicator for a particular voltage point on the PCB.  I posted this a few weeks ago and I can dig it up, but if you do a quick search you should be able to find.  If one of the LEDs was not lit, that means there is a problem with something on the card. [edit]  I believe the post I am talking about was in regards to a 770 Classified but same LED configuration as the 780.

+1

Also, the LEDs are meant for Ln2 cooling, according to K|ngp|n. The reason is when the nitrogen is giving off smoke, you need to be able to see if they are lit up. If a light goes out, there is a problem. I understand that may be frustrating, but you did buy a card that is specifically geared toward people that want to use Ln2 or Dry Ice cooling.

They have also stated many many times, over and over, that they will not make a way to turn them off.
    spence2000
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 07:45:57 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    but you did buy a card that is specifically geared toward people that want to use Ln2 or Dry Ice cooling.

No where on any product description have I seen "This card is geared toward people that want to use Ln2 or Dry Ice cooling". I went for it due to price+speed.

Scarlet-Tech
    They have also stated many many times, over and over, that they will not make a way to turn them off.

That's pretty disgusting. Very disappointed in EVGA.
    Anyone know who the engineering lead was for this card? I'd like to write a snail mail letter to them directly at EVGA.
    trabe3
    FTW Member
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 08:57:03 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Also, the LEDs are meant for Ln2 cooling, according to K|ngp|n. The reason is when the nitrogen is giving off smoke, you need to be able to see if they are lit up.

Well, its not really "smoke" that the LN2 is giving off though, it is vapor as the liquid nitrogen "boils" and changes phase from liquid to gas.  But I think we know what you meant, but as being a dorky nerd, I felt the need to clarify

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    trabe3
    FTW Member
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 09:05:42 (permalink)
    spence2000
    Scarlet-Tech
    but you did buy a card that is specifically geared toward people that want to use Ln2 or Dry Ice cooling.

No where on any product description have I seen "This card is geared toward people that want to use Ln2 or Dry Ice cooling". I went for it due to price+speed.

Scarlet-Tech

That's pretty disgusting. Very disappointed in EVGA.
    Anyone know who the engineering lead was for this card? I'd like to write a snail mail letter to them directly at EVGA.

The Classified versions of any of the EVGA cards have always been geared towards and have features aimed at extreme overclockers that most likely can and will use alternative methods of cooling such as LN2.  There is even a secondary BIOS specifically called LN2.  By being in this BIOS mode there is a red LED on the back of the PCB.  Being in the standard BIOS, this LED will be green.

I understand the lights can be annoying to some people.  Personally I don't mind them.  But they are technically there for a purpose, not purely for aesthetics.  These LEDs have been around at least since the 680 Classified.  I know the MSI Lightning cards have a whole bunch of LEDs on the back as well, at least on the 780 Lightning.  Not sure if those can be turned off though.

Anyway, I sympathize with your issue on the LEDs, but unfortunately from a hardware point of view there is nothing you can do.  Best you can do is cover them up with some tape or take a dark marker and color over the LEDs.  If you ever need to RMA card, you want something that is not permanent as any permanent modification will unfortunately void the warranty.

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    iamSneaky
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 12:44:34 (permalink)
    Tape those suckers up if they bother you, not worth your time and
    effort writing a complaint that will achieve nothing.
    As stated above, they have a specific purpose.

SS07:
    Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL|i9 10900K [SP 98][Bykski FR-CU-RA-V2 CPU Block]|ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra [Bykski Block]|Galax HoF OC Lab Edition 4600mhz|Alienware AW2721D
    EVGA Supernova P2 1600

Elite ID: BJBC3RMQSBKAR2ALRHN

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 13:20:15 (permalink)
    spence2000
    Scarlet-Tech
    Scarlet-TechThey have also stated many many times, over and over, that they will not make a way to turn them off.

That's pretty disgusting. Very disappointed in EVGA.Anyone know who the engineering lead was for this card? I'd like to write a snail mail letter to them directly at EVGA.

I didn't know what Dry Ice or Liquid Nitrogen cooling was when I started looking at these cards. The fact you didn't look past cost and speed means that you probably bought them pretty early, as the 680 classified is said to have the same LEDs for the same purpose. The cards are explained to be for extreme overclocking, and if you didn't research that, or YouTube it, you wouldn't know.

Next time, grab a 780ti SC, and you will get near the same performance for the price, and you can control the NVidia logo. The classifieds will maintain their extreme overclocking features as that is what they are built for.
    spence2000
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 13:36:42 (permalink)
    The problem is that the intended purpose for those LEDs isn't documented on seller product pages, or on the box, or really anywhere other than extreme overclocking sites. Checking specs and reviews on the common review sites - they don't talk of using it for LN2 cooling (whatever that is). Now, to all the hardcore minority on these forums, sure, it may be common knowledge, but to most of the consumers it really isn't common knowledge at all. Most consumers are going to look at specs and prices and the most common review sites.

The fact is that I spent a large sum of money on a card that doesn't support a basic feature like turning off the LEDs. In the 21st century of gfx cards, that's shoddy. Turning round and saying "Oh well it's your fault because you bought a card that has a 'feature' for an undocumented use that's only word of mouth knowledge between a minority amount of users" just isn't good enough.

I'm still intending to write to EVGA's lead engineer and head of marketing, and yes, nothing may come of it, but if it means in the future they stop and think for a minute about the capabilities of the feature set they're implementing, then it was worth it.

Would I take a refund for this card if it was available to me? Yes absolutely, and I'd buy an alternate card.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 13:42:51 (permalink)
    The minority is who the card is built for. The classified article that EVGA put out when releasing these cards specifically says geared toward extreme overclockers.

If you don't know what liquid nitrogen is, it froze T2000 in terminator 2. LN2 is the fastest was to get the coldest possible Temps to run the card as hard as possible. YouTube and Google are your friend when it comes to this.

Also, write them. It is an option you have, so take it. If you want to turn the leds off, grab a small piece of electrical tape and cover them... Their off, as far as you know... Think that is cheesy? It is an option.

Do not break the leds as some people will suggest, because it voids the warranty.

When did you buy they card?
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/02/26 13:47:17
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 20:34:24 (permalink)
    I am going good to mention one very important thing. I don't want you thinking I am trying to be a jerk or a worse. You say the card isn't advertised as being used for LN2... Or at least not anywhere that you have seen. Correct? Right next to the power connectors is a tiny white switch. The switch to the left is connected to another Green Led on the back of the card. That led is labeled "Normal". Now, switch it to the right. The led switches to one that is Red and Labeled "LN2".... That in and of itself Is more than enough advertising to prove this card is meant for extreme overclockers, as "Normal" cards rarely have that option.

My point is, I just Google Classified GTX 780 and came up with three of the first ten review talking about extreme overclocking for this card. I am not saying it is easy to find, because the review is how the card comes from the factory, but it mentions the availability of the LN2 pots and extreme overclocking. What very few articles covers is the LEDs and their purpose.

When you email them, or snail mail, expect the response that you bought a card meant for enthusiasts. Not too many people want to spend 450-500 dollars just for the specs, but because they researched everything about it and specifically wanted that card for its intended purpose.

The classifieds have been around for years, and the LEDs have been on at least most, if not all, models of the classified. The standard PCB doesn't have them though.

That's just some thoughts. Sorry you aren't happy with your card as is. You could probably sell it for a good price and get the 780Ti at little to no extra cost, and those don't have the LEDs on the side.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/02/26 20:36:33
    vsg28
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 611
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Problems with the LEDs on EVGA GTX 780 Classified. 2014/02/26 21:15:27 (permalink)
    Pretty much all the overclocking geared GPUs have voltage LEDs that can't be turned off, at least they are not bright blue and in 2 lines like on the MSI Lightnings!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile