So I've been playing Dayz...

Author
Dwarfy
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 704
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2014/02/18 02:28:09 (permalink)
I've been playing Dayz now for a couple of weeks and I wonder if anyone else here feels the same as I do.

I started Dayz with the same principle as I would apply in life and generally just try to find what I need and be nice to people.

I travel around doing my best to avoid the areas where people congregate but every now and then I run into someone.

These encounters have only gone 1 of 3 ways

1: friendly, we chat for a bit some times trade or what not and move on.

2: hostile, usually my friend dies first and I then panic and try and shot and die myself LOL But also has lead to some tense standoffs where I really feel the nerves and am fully engrossed.

3: hostile, I'm dead and I never even saw my assassin. < happened once within minutes of spawning.

Due to the rarity of friendlies (or them being as nervous as I am about their true intent) I find myself slowing leaning towards a shoot first response and I don't like it.

Anyone else finding their intending play style being changed by the sheer tension and unpredictability of others?

As it is now my team and I are fully kitted and heading the the coast to hopefully grief some griefers.

17 Replies Related Threads

boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    • Total Posts : 19181
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/18 09:38:03 (permalink)
    This is what happens when kids overrun a game.  Day Z didn't used to be like this; back when it was a newly released mod for ArmA 2, it emphasized teamwork, and since it was played by ArmA 2's more mature community people actually did work together.  Most people didn't shoot first and ask questions later, but ever since most BF/CoD/Titanfall gamers jumped on board, things changed.

What's worse is, the developers of Day Z seem to want it to be this way.  Originally Day Z had a "humanity" system: essentially it gave a distinctive bandit skin to those who shot on sight.  This way, you could tell who'd be hostile upon first glance, but they removed this system, lowered the amount of zombies on the map by hundreds (though they may have fixed this by now), and made loot/vehicles much more common (though I believe standalone fixes this).  

They need to add the humanity system back and expand on it, perhaps by enforcing some kind of penalty on those who shoot on sight (make them visible on the map and make zombies spawn around them).  

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/18 09:59:18 (permalink)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ .....Best idea ever for that game, or similar style games.  

Like in America's Army, it was called Honor system - if you were a 'greifer' , you got penalized.You wouldn't be allowed to do things.
     Should be like that alot more in games. 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    tet5uo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3538
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/18 10:57:05 (permalink)
    boredgunner
    This is what happens when kids overrun a game.  Day Z didn't used to be like this; back when it was a newly released mod for ArmA 2, it emphasized teamwork, and since it was played by ArmA 2's more mature community people actually did work together.  Most people didn't shoot first and ask questions later, but ever since most BF/CoD/Titanfall gamers jumped on board, things changed.

What's worse is, the developers of Day Z seem to want it to be this way.  Originally Day Z had a "humanity" system: essentially it gave a distinctive bandit skin to those who shot on sight.  This way, you could tell who'd be hostile upon first glance, but they removed this system, lowered the amount of zombies on the map by hundreds (though they may have fixed this by now), and made loot/vehicles much more common (though I believe standalone fixes this).  

They need to add the humanity system back and expand on it, perhaps by enforcing some kind of penalty on those who shoot on sight (make them visible on the map and make zombies spawn around them).  

Well if it wasn't for your hated "BF/CoD/Titanfall gamers" dayZ wouldn't have made Bohemia piles of cash. God knows they need it seeing as their sales of their sim products is only to a hardcore small niche of players. 

They'll need this cash to get their engine out of the year 2001 with it's multi-core efficiency and GPU usage. 

I'm sure you won't admit this flaw in the engine though, as Arma fanboys have convinced themselves that drops to below 30 FPS are just fine and the clunky UI and animations is actually a feature of "realism"

boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/18 16:22:34 (permalink)
    tet5uo

Well if it wasn't for your hated "BF/CoD/Titanfall gamers" dayZ wouldn't have made Bohemia piles of cash. God knows they need it seeing as their sales of their sim products is only to a hardcore small niche of players. 

They'll need this cash to get their engine out of the year 2001 with it's multi-core efficiency and GPU usage. 

I'm sure you won't admit this flaw in the engine though, as Arma fanboys have convinced themselves that drops to below 30 FPS are just fine and the clunky UI and animations is actually a feature of "realism"

I talk about its poorly optimized engine all the time, though I have a much better understanding of the subject than you.  You're the only fanboy here.  Bohemia's pride is too high to switch engines, and I doubt they'll be able to improve the optimization in their current games by a large margin.  Also, their attempts at improving the engine cannot be exclusively attributed to their extra dough, it's mostly the result of vast complaints.  BIS isn't some saint, like most developers they likely won't put that money to good use.  Don't set your hopes too high.

By the way, I never drop below 30 FPS in ArmA 3.  

007vsMagua
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1677
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/19 11:08:04 (permalink)

This thread is timely for me as I was thinking about being a Solo Player in a Multi-Player world.

I have little to no experience playing Multi-Player games. I tried my hand at Team Fortress 2 a couple of times, because I was invited by one of my Steam friends to join a game. My friend kind of abandoned me early on and I just played it by ear trying to learn what the game was about. Long story short I soon figured out it is a team based game with missions and everyone needed to perform a specific task in order to win. When I tried playing as a character I wanted to be, the guy who seemed to be in charge, tried to tell me to be something else, and was kind of a dick about it. So I left the game and haven't tried it since.

The idea of playing in a Multi-Player game as an individual that is free to roam, kind of appeals to me...is that possible? I understand that games have goals (missions), but whether I choose to go it alone, or join up with other players, seems doable. I'm not sure Day Z is this kind of a game.

I'm not sure I really understand Multi-Player games. I have nothing against Team Play as I enjoy playing L4D 2 and Borderlands 2 on Steam with my friends, but that's Co-op. I think it would be cool to find partners to team up with to get through a tough Zombie blockage...is that how Day Z plays?

It seems from reading this thread that there are (non-zombie) assassins roaming the wild. I don't have a problem with that, but like Boredgunner says, they used to be tagged as hostiles, which makes sense to me.

I did a little research on Day Z and found this Wiki info on the engine:

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

EVGA __ RTX 3070 FTW Super   ---   INTEL __ i7-7700K 
    MSI __ Z270 Gaming M7   ---  GSKILL __ 16GB TridentZ 3200
    NZXT __ Kraken X62 / HUE+ / GRID+ v2 / AER Fans x2 / USB Hub
    SAMSUNG  __ 850 EVO 500GB   ---   WD  __  1TB Black / 1TB Blue 
    EVGA  __ 850 G3   ---   NZXT  __  S340 Elite (White)  -  [/siz
    boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/19 11:28:18 (permalink)
    If you want a game similar to Day Z that's not multiplayer, look at State of Decay.  It's open world zombie survival with randomized NPC encounters.  You can set up a home base, which is full of managing elements similar to an RTS game.  You can try to recruit any NPC you come across, and each one is unique in their abilities like an RPG.  It's a very brutal, hardcore survival game and is quite fun.  The breakdown DLC is even better than the main game.

Dwarfy
    SSC Member
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/19 17:53:45 (permalink)
    At the moment there are not alot of zombies roaming and they seem to be limited to where there are buildings.

Playing with a friend helps but is not required at all.

You meet some nice and some not so nice but you take your chance when you meet them I guess.

Today I had a wander around without my companions and fell off a ladder, I then spent the next couple of hours crawling around looking for some wood to make a splint or a morphine injector.
    After a while with no joy I server jumped a couple of times for fresh loot and then decided I'm going to bed now LOL
    Hopefully my mate has morphine or he can run around and find me some wood.

Point I'm making here is there are perils to being alone also which adds to the tension.

also I have about 6 can openers, I think my carrying priorities are wrong LMAO
    boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/19 19:11:21 (permalink)
    Dwarfy
    At the moment there are not alot of zombies roaming and they seem to be limited to where there are buildings.

Ah, so this wasn't fixed in the standalone?  I followed Day Z's progress as a mod, playing it early on until they removed the humanity system.  Originally it had over 1,000 zombies, then the number dropped to around 1,000 on average, then 700, then 500, then somewhere around 300-400... minus the humanity system, it just became open world deathmatch.  

amtek
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 328
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/19 21:39:32 (permalink)
    DayZ SA has been the most terrifying game I've ever played by far, and its because of the uncertainty of the human element. I've met friendly players that will just walk on by or trade a few items. I've met people pretending to be friendly only to handcuff you and take your stuff the moment you let your guard down. I've met players posing as friendly to lure you into an ambush and kill you for your gear, and I've met those who will shoot on sight to defend their loot.  

But that's what makes it fun, you don't know whats going to happen. Are you gonna get the drop on someone? Would that person kill you they had got the drop on you?  You've played for hours not seeing a single player on this 93 square mile map, then suddenly you hear a can of soda pop open in the room next to the one you are looting.

I've ruined plenty of pants in game, and have almost ruined a few in real life 
    Dwarfy
    SSC Member
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/20 05:08:28 (permalink)
    boredgunner
    Dwarfy

Ah, so this wasn't fixed in the standalone?  I followed Day Z's progress as a mod, playing it early on until they removed the humanity system.  Originally it had over 1,000 zombies, then the number dropped to around 1,000 on average, then 700, then 500, then somewhere around 300-400... minus the humanity system, it just became open world deathmatch.  

They do plan on increasing the zombie count later on and have said that without loot they can have 4000 of them, I guess once they optimise some more they'll add more or failing that make the ones that are there harder to kill.

I did have a zombie sneak up on me a few times and although they are not much of a problem once you've found an axe they are troublesome when your a fresh spawn and really limit your searching abilities. And not forgetting the sound they make is creepy as hell...
    Fbmbirds
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3863
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/21 17:09:04 (permalink)
    Well I was a avid player of the Mod for ARMA 2 and liked it besides the hacks and what not. I just bought the standalone and so far I am enjoying it. Sure it has its bugs but the style is nice. Ive been away from the gaming world for a few months and its nice getting back into it with a game like DAY Z 

tet5uo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/21 17:12:09 (permalink)
    I played about 500 hours of the dayZ mod and other dayZ inspired mods, but the standalone hasn't grabbed me at all yet. 

Feels too barren still. Nothing to do. Sandbox with no toys in it. 

After 500 hours of running around Chernaurus I'm pretty tired of that map too. 
    Opolis
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2786
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/24 10:21:16 (permalink)

boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/24 10:47:28 (permalink)
    Opolis
    http://www.eurogamer.net/...down-as-leader-of-dayz

Good news.  Maybe now BIS will put a little bit more focus on ArmA?

Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3762
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/24 12:45:40 (permalink)
    boredgunner I completely agree on everything you have said this far.

First off, I was unaware they removed the humanity system, I loved that as I always had the 'hero' skin and it kept me alive in alot of my encounters because it made others comfortable around me, but also gave me the ability to keep pesky bandits away from me because I knew who to shoot-on-sight.

Second, the lack of zombies is why I currently don't play, they were supposed to have fixed this issue within a month. Original idea was to have more zombies then there has ever been (10k on the map at all times). I loved playing DayZ in the mod because of the fact that, when you shot a gun or caused to much noise, you would have 10-20 zombies on you, exactly as it would be. In the SA I can fire guns all day and constantly run around blissfully and be lucky to get 2 zombies chasing me. Boring. Not why I play(ed) DayZ.

Last, but definitely not least, optimization irks me. Under 60fps is unacceptable let alone under 30 -.-.

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.
    -1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

tet5uo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/24 13:05:08 (permalink)
    boredgunner
    Opolis

They need to stop messing around and buckle-down on re-writing most of the core parts of their engine.

I have a feeling the platform he was making the game on is the main reason Rocket decided that the game will never live up to his hopes. 
    boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: So I've been playing Dayz... 2014/02/24 13:47:05 (permalink)
    tet5uo
    boredgunner
    Opolis

They need to stop messing around and buckle-down on re-writing most of the core parts of their engine.

I have a feeling the platform he was making the game on is the main reason Rocket decided that the game will never live up to his hopes. 

Well, him leaving probably won't make a difference when it comes to BIS improving their engine.  I guess we'll see what him and his new studio create, since he does collect royalties from Day Z.  They should use Outerra engine.  

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile