Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
overdrive05
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/12/16 08:41:46 (permalink)
I do not take credit for anything im posting, just sharing info i read up on, i also think this will void warranty of the device, not 100% sure, EVGA has the best warranty in my opinion so take this into consideration. If you have seen some people are using a Chinese root tool that will install bloatware on your tablet and also your PC, a helpful user on the XDA forums that also works with the Nvidia Shield has created a method to also work with the Tegra Note 7, i would use this method before the Chinese method as this will be a clean root. Please make sure you read all steps and precautions before attempting this. I have personally tried this on 4.2.2 and it worked. He also says this will work for when they push out 4.3. Cant confirm 4.3 as most still don't have it :(

Link to TN7 Informational Videos:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2575994

ADB & Fastboot Tool by shimp208 (Need to have this installed in order to run commands to tablet):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=42407269

Link to Directions/Files:
https://github.com/linux-shield/shield-root

As Per Gnurou's Instructions:

Root for NVIDIA SHIELD & Tegra Note 7

This is a very basic rooting method for NVIDIA SHIELD and Tegra Note 7, which uses a Linux kernel and a simple ramdisk to install SuperSU [1] on an unlocked device. It should work with any Android version, including 4.3.
[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu

Obligatory Scary Disclaimer

Please read this section at least 3 times before proceeding.
This is not for the faint of heart or the clueless. This method comes without any warranty and you take sole responsibility for anything bad that might happen. You really want to make sure that you understand this document fully and consider the consequences of unlocking and rooting your device before proceeding. Following this guide will irreversibly VOID YOUR WARRANTY and ERASE YOUR USER DATA. There is no way back - your device will be marked as having been unlocked and WARRANTY-VOID FOREVER, even if you re-lock the bootloader afterwards. Also, unlocking your device will leave you more vulnerable to malware and errors that can potentially damage it and turn your new Tegra Note into a breadboard and your shiny SHIELD into a slightly oversized belt buckle.
Do not expect any kind of support from anyone if you don't understand this guide or if something goes wrong. It goes without saying that everything said here is unofficial and unsupported by NVIDIA.
You have been warned! Better stop now.

Requirements

• Locked or unlocked SHIELD or Tegra Note 7
  • Fastboot binary
Getting root is done in two steps: first, we will unlock the bootloader, then boot a custom OS image that will add SuperSU to our Android system partition.

Unlocking

If your device is already unlocked, you can skip this section.
SHIELD and Tegra Note 7 ship with an unlockable bootloader. The bootloader is locked by default, which prevents anyone (including yourself) from booting custom OSes and changing system partitions to potentially obtain extra privileges. This is a significant security feature: in the event that your device gets stolen, an attacker will not be able to retrieve your personal data or use your device if your lock screen has a password set.
By unlocking the bootloader, you allow anyone with physical access to your device to boot custom images and flash system partitions. This opens the way for an attacker to access your personal information or physically damage your device. For this reason, unlocking the bootloader will erase all your personal data like a factory reset does (so a potential thief cannot get it) and will also void your warranty.
If you know you really, really want to take these risks, here is how you unlock the bootloader.
  1. Switch your device off (long press the power button and select Power off).
  2. For SHIELD: power your SHIELD on while maintaining the back and home buttons pressed (these are the two buttons that lie under the big NVIDIA-logo button, on its left and right). Release them once you see the bootloader screen.
    For TN7: power the tablet on while maintaining the volume up button pressed. Release it once you see the bootloader screen.
  3. Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.
  4. On your computer, enter the following command:
    fastboot oem unlock
  5. This will display the unlock menu. Read the disclaimer and think one last time about what you are doing. This is your last chance to stop.
  6. Use the back and home buttons on SHIELD and volume up/volume down on TN7 to select your option. If you decide to continue, select Unlock and press the NVIDIA-logo button on SHIELD or power button on TN7 to validate. Your personal data will be erased and your device marked as warranty-void permanently.
  7. Regardless of your choice, you will be back to the bootloader screen. Using the same buttons, navigate to Poweroff and select this to power your device off.

Rooting

Now your bootloader is unlocked, but you still don't have root access. For this, we need to install SuperSU, and we will do so by booting a custom Linux image that will install it for us.
  1. Download the boot image corresponding to your device:
    For SHIELD: https://github.com/linux-shield/shield-root/blob/master/root_shield.img?raw=true
    For TN7: https://github.com/linux-shield/shield-root/blob/master/root_tn7.img?raw=true
  2. For SHIELD: power your SHIELD on while maintaining the back and home buttons pressed (these are the two buttons that lie under the big NVIDIA-logo button, on its left and right). Release them once you see the bootloader screen.
    For TN7: power the tablet on while maintaining the volume up button pressed. Release it once you see the bootloader screen.
    If the above does not work, try enabling USB debugging in the Developer options from Android, then issue adb reboot-bootloader while your device is connected to your PC via USB.
  3. Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable
  4. On your computer, navigate into the directory containing the downloaded image and enter the following command:
    For SHIELD: fastboot boot root_shield.img
    For TN7: fastboot boot root_tn7.img
The image will be downloaded and started. You will see 4 penguins on your screen, and the root procedure will start. It should take a few seconds to complete. Once it is done, your device will reboot. Congratulations, you are rooted!
For some unknown reason USB debugging in Developer options might become unchecked after rooting. You will need to re-check it if you want to use ADB.
It is safe to perform the rooting operation as many times as you want (e.g. after an OTA). Your user data will not be erased by rooting itself, it is the act of unlocking the bootloader that does.

Unrooting and re-locking

If for some reason you want to unroot and re-lock your device, this is possible. It won't bring your warranty back, but you will at least enjoy the security benefits of a locked device.
Unrooting the device can be done by running the SuperSU application, going into its settings, and choosing Full unroot. This will remove all traces of SuperSU.
Then you will likely want to relock your device. Enter the bootloader again, connect your device to your computer via a USB cable, and issue the following command:
fastboot oem lock

Then on the screen, select Lock. Your bootloader will be locked again. Note that your warranty is not coming back - that red message in the bootloader menu is here to stay forever.

Troubleshooting

This method is completely unofficial and you are on your own. No support whatsoever from anyone. Don't do this if you don't understand and accept the potential consequences.

Rebuilding

The necessary binaries are already in this repository, but if you want to build things by yourself, here is how you do:
  1. Compile a bootable kernel zImage from this project: https://github.com/linux-shield/kernel, and copy it into this directory. The binary included replaces the ignore_loglevel kernel command-line option with loglevel=0 to remove kernel log messages.
  2. Also copy the tegra114-roth.dtb and tegra114-tn7.dtb files into this directory.
  3. Run make into the present project to rebuild it. The SuperSU binaries are in the rootkit subdirectory and the script that performs rooting is /init.
You can now run fastboot boot to boot on the images you built yourself.

Source release

This binary release uses an unmodified version of Busybox, which source code can be downloaded at https://github.com/linux-shield/busybox. User-space is built from the examples/bootfloppy directory with slight modifications to use mdev, mount filesystems, and install SuperSU.
This package, as Busybox, is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2. See the LICENSE file for details.
SuperSU is redistributed in its free, unmodified version as kindly permitted by its author.

EDIT 1 Driver Install Instructions:
After running into some driver issues i did some searching and found a program that would both install the necessary drivers for both adb commands and fastboot commands.
Follow this link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_nizg6yUZ0NZUN5M21ST3AyTmM/edit

- Download a program called Impactor_0.9.14.zip, what this does is install a program for additional drivers for both adb and fastboot modes (if not found / for new users).

-After you have downloaded and unzipped the folder you will want to plug your device into the computer. Open up the program (I would right click and run as admin, i ran into a windows 8 issue not letting me install unless i ran as admin:

-With the window up, click on *USB* then choose *Driver Scan*, when you click on that it will find your tegra note 7, click OK to confirm that is the device you want (should be the only one) then it will install the drivers.

***DO NOT RESTART UNTIL IT IS 100% DONE, WINDOWS WILL ASK YOU TO REBOOT BEFORE ITS DONE, DO NOT!!*

-Once your machine has been rebooted, unplug your tablet then replug it, at this point you will run shimp208's ADB and Fastboot tool, once the adb command prompt is loaded type *adb devices* you should see your device number with "Device" next to it, if for some reason you see your device number but it says "offline" you need to enable developer options (which should have been done) by tapping on the build number multiple times, then checking off usb debugging. Also note that when you try to connect for the first time a dialog screen will pop up on the tablet asking permission for the PC to access the tablet, once you have allowed it, unplug tablet and shut down adb fastboot cmd line. Plug tablet back up and open up the adb fastboot cmd line tool again, the "offline" text next to your device number (if you had this problem) should now say "device".

-If you run the *adb devices* command and you see your device number with "device" next to it then you are ready to proceed.
-Run command *adb reboot-bootloader* This should shutdown your tablet and load the bootloader.

IMPORTANT PART

-Once you are in this mode type *fastboot devices* if you do not see your fast boot number and the command does nothing then try this ( i had this issue, able to run adb commands but not fast boot commands while in bootloader)

-WHILE you are in bootloader, open up the Impactor software again (make sure to open it as a admin again), once again cick on USB then DRIVER SCAN, you will then notice instead of the Tegra Note being pulled up and detected it now says FASTBOOT, choose to install the fastboot drivers so you can issues fast boot commands.

-Once that is done, like last time unplug tablet and close the adb fastboot cmd line, plug tablet back up and load up the fast boot adb command line tool again. Now when you issue a *fastboot devices* command you should see a long stream of numbers (fast boot id) with "fastboot" next to the number. Once you have achieved to get that to come up follow the guide above. This is strictly to help with driver issues so you can actually run the commands.

EDIT 2:
COMING SOON
TWRP RECOVERY INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

post edited by overdrive05 - 2014/01/03 09:08:33

Desktop Specs
-Case: Thermaltake VL200L1W2Z NVIDIA Edition
-HDD's: 64Gb Crucial M4 / 150Gb OCZ Vertex / 150GB Vel Raptor WD / 250GB WD Black
-MB: EVGA X58 3X SLI
-CPU: i7-920 OC'd 3.8 Ghz
-CPU Cooler: Thermalright Hydra Black Dual 120mm Fans
-GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 FTW SLI
-CD Rom: LG Bluray Drive R/W
-Sound Card: X-Fi Fatality Platinum Edition
-Ram: Corsiar Dominator 10Gb 1600
-PSU: EVGA Super Nova 1300 G2
-Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mesh

63 Replies Related Threads

-Todd-
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/16 11:15:20 (permalink)
    Nice Job on this overdrive05 lets hope the Chinese root tool is a thing of the past.

overdrive05
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/16 12:11:56 (permalink)
    Me to Todd, i saw a few members on here using it then read up on all the bloatware, and having to install apps just to rid themselves of the installed apps. Not to mention the pack that gets installed on your drive on your PC (choice of install) that cannot be removed. Just seems very shady and i didn't trust it. Plus a few users reported soft bricks due to clicking on the non English installer. There is no sub forum on the XDA forum's which is where i always go for customizing my phones/tablets. Ill keep people updated on these forums with new "root type" advances.

Names Jacob, figure i introduce myself since ill be on these forum's more often! Cheers
    post edited by overdrive05 - 2013/12/16 12:13:18

Desktop Specs
    -HDD's: 64Gb Crucial M4 / 150Gb OCZ Vertex / 150GB Vel Raptor WD / 250GB WD Black

keiseger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/16 20:55:27 (permalink)
    Ooh damn, they integrated a root warranty check like Samsung? :/

Now I gotta really think twice before I root..
    e8hffff
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 04:19:44 (permalink)
    Xiaomi MI3 (Phone) Tegra 4 CWM Boot Image. Have not tested so do at own risk!
    http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/recovery-wip-clockworkmod-6-0-3-7.22690/
    the.lost.in.thought
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 14:08:15 (permalink)
    The only reason I wanted root was to change permissions of a few apps.   I found a tool to unpack apks and change permissions but I don't know if it works... [TOOL][WINDOWS] ANDROID MULTITOOL v3.0 [ADB].   Any thoughts overdrive?
    overdrive05
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 14:52:45 (permalink)
    I don't see why this wouldn't work, i used to use a unpack tool as well to change some permissions in certain apps, but it was a lot more involved than this tool. This looks really nice. The only problem i can see is wouldn't you have to be rooted (admin) in order for you altered permission's to be granted access threw the OS? Not sure exactly what your changing. Unless you mean changing what the app can do like look at all your local pictures and access your sd card and what not. If that's the case then yes this would work.

Desktop Specs

the.lost.in.thought
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 14:59:31 (permalink)
    Privacy app permissions
    overdrive05
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 15:02:49 (permalink)
    Yep i have no reason to believe why that would not work. My mind was wondering into kernel access haha

Desktop Specs

e4sykill
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 16:41:51 (permalink)
    I rather wait until the 
    • Limited Warranty period (parts): 1 year
    • Limited Warranty period (labor): 1 year
    Is gone off my tablet before I consider doing this.  You never know what could happen before warranty is up.  Rooting Voids warranty you can end up getting a screen issue, burnt up hardware or worse you never know.
    e8hffff
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 18:40:03 (permalink)
    the.lost.in.thoughtThe only reason I wanted root was to change permissions of a few apps.   I found a tool to unpack apks and change permissions but I don't know if it works... [TOOL][WINDOWS] ANDROID MULTITOOL v3.0 [ADB].   Any thoughts overdrive?

That will install two Android utilities for Window's users to talk to devices.   adb=Android debugging bridge which offers various higher level commands.  fastboot=a partitioning utility that talks to device in special mode to manage storage.

You would still need the rooted image which is now readily available, and use fastboot to flash it.

Example at command prompt (perform whilst in the directory of the file boot.img else put path in command line);
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot flash boot.img

Making sure you don't restart, remaining in fastboot made till all is done, else you may have to wait for a factor restore.

post edited by e8hffff - 2013/12/17 18:41:37
    the.lost.in.thought
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 19:39:16 (permalink)
    Doesn't the new update allow moving apps as apks to sd which can be modified and then side loaded?
    WEggington
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 19:40:40 (permalink)
    e4sykill
    I rather wait until the 
    • Limited Warranty period (parts): 1 year
    • Limited Warranty period (labor): 1 year
    Is gone off my tablet before I consider doing this.  You never know what could happen before warranty is up.  Rooting Voids warranty you can end up getting a screen issue, burnt up hardware or worse you never know.

Well. . . I have rooted and flashed dozens of devices hundreds of times.  There is very little risk.  I just don't see the need for doing it on the Tegra Note. . .  Unless there was a Cyanogen Rom for it. . . But I don't see that happening any time soon. . . There really isn't a need.  This is as pure Android as it gets. . . 
    e8hffff
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 20:04:19 (permalink)
    the.lost.in.thoughtDoesn't the new update allow moving apps as apks to sd which can be modified and then side loaded?

adb allows files to be pushed to the device.  You can also connect with a remote shell (command line)  Sideloading usually is zips with the files being placed per the directory structure of the contents.

Apks can be installed even in a protected device, but you need root level to put them in system directory as opposed to the user partition.
    the.lost.in.thought
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 20:07:48 (permalink)
    I can't think of any system apps I'd change.  Just downloaded ones with weird access requests
    e8hffff
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/17 20:08:00 (permalink)
    WEggingtonWell. . . I have rooted and flashed dozens of devices hundreds of times.  There is very little risk.  I just don't see the need for doing it on the Tegra Note. . .  Unless there was a Cyanogen Rom for it. . . But I don't see that happening any time soon. . . There really isn't a need.  This is as pure Android as it gets. . .

Yeah the Tegra Note 7's are more or less non-brickable, but the problem is waiting between the release of factory recovery with a semi-bricked device.

The reason why there isn't a community based factory reset image, is that there are too few people with the know how in the community so far, and more research needs to be had.

Me, I'm someone that hasn't done much Android hacking so it's new territory for me, even though I've have Android based devices for yonkers. 

post edited by e8hffff - 2013/12/17 20:10:43
    overdrive05
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/18 07:11:33 (permalink)
    Agreed i never actually made programs or hacked anything, but mainly HEAVILY modded any android phone, since this tablet is sorta the same, im waiting for the people who actually know how to create roms and kernel changes to appear. Otherwise i rooted but its honestly not worth it currently. especially since there are alot of people having issues currently.

Desktop Specs

e8hffff
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/18 08:02:55 (permalink)
    overdrive05Agreed i never actually made programs or hacked anything, but mainly HEAVILY modded any android phone, since this tablet is sorta the same, im waiting for the people who actually know how to create roms and kernel changes to appear. Otherwise i rooted but its honestly not worth it currently. especially since there are alot of people having issues currently.

Since the sellers are not forthcoming with support and roms people may avoid buying this tablet.
    overdrive05
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/18 08:32:36 (permalink)
    e8hffff

Since the sellers are not forthcoming with support and roms people may avoid buying this tablet.

This is what scares me lol, not that the Stock Rom is bad as its very clean and basic and not filled with bloat ware. But i do like my custom kernel and Rom modifications. Can anyone imagine and overclocked Tegra 4 chip? I can.

Desktop Specs

gadgetboi
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/18 11:46:56 (permalink)
    overdrive05
    e8hffff

This is what scares me lol, not that the Stock Rom is bad as its very clean and basic and not filled with bloat ware. But i do like my custom kernel and Rom modifications. Can anyone imagine and overclocked Tegra 4 chip? I can.

I am with you, look at what they're doing with the Shield http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2398836

SFF - ITX | Fractal Node 304/MSI Z87 itx | i5 4670K | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 |NVIDIA GeForce EVGA GTX 750Ti SC | 120GB HyperX SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SDD/HDD | Win7 x64 | Corsair TX750w

EVGA Tegra Note -Tegra 4 -4.4.2 | HTC One X+ -Tegra 3 -4.2.2 | Asus Transformer Prime TF201 -Tegra 3 
    overdrive05
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/18 12:32:09 (permalink)
    I know, one can dream one day when we have this option, this would make me root hands down. Overclocking, UV'ing, Custom Roms, is what i like to dive in.

Desktop Specs

Moobys
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 04:18:36 (permalink)
    I did everything as said and it worked like a charm, I finally started running my occasional programs and then wham bam thank you mam the wifi stopped working.

adb wont recognize it as a device, impactor.exe wont pick it up in anyway as a device or ID.

Ive tried going through the whole process again and it doesnt work.

Ive even tried full factory resore and it still wont work.

I have access to a pc and a working microsd card if that helps.

Thanks to anyone who can contrubute something, its begining to look a not like x-mas.

to the rest of you happy holidays.
    post edited by Moobys - 2013/12/25 04:20:03
    e8hffff
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 08:23:42 (permalink)
    MoobysThanks to anyone who can contribute something, its beginning to look a not like x-mas.

Apart from holding the power button down for over 7 seconds without the usb cable in, and later attempting to get adb or fastboot, , then it would seem you have a software bricked tablet and will have to wait for someone to work out how to get nvflash to recover these tablets or one of the many OEM resellers to support their customers.

If the tablet can't get APX mode then you could have a greater problem.   APX mode is Nvidia's core recovery mode built into the Tegra Chipset.  APX mode should initiate if you hold the two volume buttons in whilst turning on the power and then releasing the power button once the logo comes on.  The device should go to a black screen and be seen in Linux with the 'lsusb' command or Window will try to load an APX driver.
    post edited by e8hffff - 2013/12/25 10:05:13
    Moobys
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 08:26:40 (permalink)
    awesome words of advice.

Is there any rom whatsoever I can use to flash it completely?
    e8hffff
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 10:13:37 (permalink)
    MoobysIs there any rom whatsoever I can use to flash it completely?

Not yet.  I'm fairly new to android development and need to learn more about nvflash and apx mode.  I need also to fix my tablet, but in the last couple of days I've moved from Ubuntu Linux to ArchLinux and reinstalled my main rig.  Once I have that all running as a development platform I will spend some time in learning about APX. This is in between renovating a house and other projects I run.

Currently I'm unaware of any Retailer/Wholesaler of the Tegra Note to issue an APX level recovery.  It's early days though as Christmas/End-Year break has hit many companies the same time Tegra Note was released.

Some hope may come from other devices using the Tegra T114 SoC and the fact that the Tegra Note is less locked down than other Android devices.  Example the MIUI Mi3 Pisces Phone, or HP Slate 8 Pro use the Tegra SoC.  Gigabyte is also about the release the Tegra Note 7 and they are good at public relations and support.
    post edited by e8hffff - 2013/12/25 10:18:56
    Moobys
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 11:16:48 (permalink)
    awwwwwww ****
    Moobys
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 12:03:59 (permalink)
    I dunno what to do now.

is ther some 100% stock version out there or a compatible rom?
    e8hffff
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 12:26:32 (permalink)
    MoobysI dunno what to do now.m is ther some 100% stock version out there or a compatible rom?

Not that I know of.  without adb or fastboot access the only solution is APX mode.  APX mode usually needs to interface the unit with a cryptic file so that the conversation is understood.  As I said I need to research, and currently rebuilding my desktop taking me away from fixing the tablet.

A slight chance is that the tablet somewhat runs and offers a basic serial terminal off the motherboard.  If so then you'll need a  'UART to USB' circuit board and cable to talk to the kernel directly. This would mean opening the tablet to check for ports.  I don't recommend doing this just yet as it will break warranty and may damage the tablet's integrity.
    Moobys
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 12:52:27 (permalink)
    I have acess to everyting including adb and fastboot + supersu.

I just cant connect to wifi.
    e8hffff
    Re: Rooting for 4.2.2 and 4.3 2013/12/25 13:10:12 (permalink)
    MoobysI have acess to everyting including adb and fastboot + supersu. I just cant connect to wifi.

Copy the update OTA file that people have shared for this tablet and put it on a micro SD card.  Then goto the settings area and restart the tablet.  It should update the OTA again, or you may need to trigger it somehow.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile