EVGA

LockedChimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread...

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 110
2013/03/29 07:14:47 (permalink)
This thread is being started for any of us that would like to openly discuss the 2014 Chimp Challenge. We want to improve on the mistakes we made during the 2013 challenge, and leverage the strengths we have.

We are creating this thread before the 2013 challenge to afford us a place to go for issues/ideas/challenges/etc that we have before, during and after the 2013 event. This way we have one thread to "Catch all" the thoughts and input provided by our team members.

The idea is simple... We all should have a "Safe" place to openly discuss the current and next CC, or for venting issues we as individuals or as a team that need to be discussed.. This can include... 
  • Did it promote the "Spirit" of the event predominantly
  • What could we do to improve on this?
  • did we or are we have a good time!
  • What rules should we propose changes to
  • Should we participate
  • Time of year
  • Test ideas for formulas
  • ETC
The rules... 
  • Always keep in mind the idea of the CC is to grow our team and other teams as we raise awareness to what Folding is. It is not about winning! However that can be "Part" of why we do it, it is not the only "Reason" to do it.
  • Post ONLY if you can start and follow through with an "Agree to Disagree" / "Constructive" comment, topic, discussion or response.
  • Any bickering or bantering, or even deliberate acts of pushing the "Spirit" of these rules will result in those posts being deleted.
  • We are looking for all to feel safe and free to offer their own thoughts/feelings on this topic. 
  • If you have a complaint/or have an issue with a part of the contest, great! We ask that you at least offer a solution to your complaint/issue in the same post you make to offer the complaint. Or two! 
  • Any EVGA member is welcomed to comment, regardless of their level of production, new, old, past, never have folded. It simply does not matter. Some of the best conversations, ideas come from those that once folded or never have.
  • All rules are subject to change as time allows, because Stone Cold Said So... 

177 Replies Related Threads

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/03/29 07:18:40 (permalink)
    Thank-you AB!  You are on top of things today...

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/03/29 07:32:59 (permalink)
    Don't Anyone make me bring out old Roddy Piper 

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

planetclown
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1693
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/03/29 08:08:40 (permalink)
    Wow, a retrospective of a future event...I think my head's gonna explode!

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

Forgotton
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 456
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/10 22:34:59 (permalink)
    :: will be Byting Bits for the next contest :: finally folding with the new system only a couple minor things left to collect. :-)

You are entered into EVGA Affiliate Program with Affiliate Code P3JUPP2EXM
    My Build Log: http://www.evga.com/forum...302&mpage=1#965008
    HeatWare: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=75849
    E-Bay: Forgotton_One_Shadowlord
    My Will is the Titans Will no HAMSTER can stop ME!
    Pro Is the opposite of Con
    So Progress is the opposite of Congress

Julian_Moore_III
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1701
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/11 22:43:19 (permalink)
    Next year is something, probably going to give away a custom Chimp Challenge keyboard  either 104 ansi or 105 iso away next year if funds are permiting.  Winner will have choice of key switches, dampners and wrist rest anybody have an idea on layout let me know. 
    Adak1
    • Total Posts : 51
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/13 21:55:24 (permalink)
    jinihammerer
    Can i start my own team next year? i'll call it EVGA mini and it will be me and 3 other people... Then we will enter the contest and get 3 more people running BigAdv's and with these beautiful calculations.. I'll take home the jade monkey. 

Sorry... very few things annoy me. Just so happens rigging contests is one of them.

The handicap system is simple as pie, and anyone who has ever run in a race, will know it is fair (as can be). First, the goal of the system is not to make all the teams finish EQUAL (a photo finish if you will) - that's NOT it. The goal is to give every team an equal opportunity, to win. The stronger teams in the race, SHOULD win.

This is the basic handicap design for this year. Say for example, you have two racers that want to race in a 100 meter dash - say Bob and Sal. Now Bob is a 10.0 second racer, but Sal is slower - say 15.0 seconds.

Sal says he's a bigger guy, so he should get more of a handicap, since it takes more power to move him down the track. Bob says he's a smaller guy, so he has less muscle mass to power him down the track, and besides, Sal has a lot of people cheering for him on this hometown track, so he gets more motivation.

You are handicapping this Bob vs Sal race.

Cheering fans and motivation can't be quantified into points, so those factors, get ignored. Also, you don't care if Sal has had great practice runs lately, because you're not trying to make the runners finish in a dead heat.  If Sal is in better shape, then Sal SHOULD have the chance to use that better shape, to win. AFTER this race, the handicap will change - but not before.

For the first race, Sal gets a 5 second handicap.
    Sal's handicap time = (actual time * 10) /15

For the next race, Sal has improved his racing, now down to 13.0 seconds. So Sal only gets a 3 second handicap. Sal's handicap time = (actual time * 10)/13

Next race, Bob pulls a hamstring, and his time is 40 seconds. For the handicap calculation, he's limited to 10% less than his last race time, before he pulled his hamstring. (and this 10% figure is adjustable, and yes, it's arbitrary).

There are a few other nitty gritty calculations for the CC handicap, but not much more. This part is not "simple as pie", but I'll try to explain it. We're doing the calculation using a ratio - which inherently favors smaller/weaker teams, and would be bad handicapping. So we take the first handicap ratio (let's call it the multiplier), for each team, and reduce it by a certain (yes, it's arbitrary), percentage: ie. * 0.94. Since the weaker teams will always have the higher multiplier, it has more of a reducing effect on them, thus bringing the smaller/weaker teams back down into balance with the larger/stronger teams, in their final multiplier.

The handicap system for the CC is simple, and fair. It's focused on ONE category only: POINTS. It's still handicapped, so small teams can win it - but so can big teams. If a team improves it's ppd over last year's CC, and continues that into the race, it has an EXCELLENT chance of winning the race.

That's the way it should be.

What doesn't matter:

* size of the team
    * growth of the team
    * ability to sign up it's folders to a single folding name
    * production during the rest of the year

First and foremost, the CC is a RACE - not a F@Home promotional event. A good race will always be a promotional event - people REALLY LIKE races, they always have. They like watching them, reading about them, if there is good writing on them, and they like racing in them, but the CC is a *race*, before anything else.
    The handicap system this year will not be spot on - no handicap CAN be just right, without several actual races to use as input - in similar races. We don't have that. The CC has changed dramatically just in the past 3 years, and has used three different handicap systems. Two of those were as much designed with FAH promotions by the teams, as it was with actual points in the race itself.

Besides being easy to understand 99% of it, the handicap system is self-righting. The teams that wins or race very well this year, will find their handicap adjust so it's harder to win, next year. Conversely, the team that does badly this year, will find it easier to compete next year.

It's interesting that in ALL the pre race look at actual folding points, using this handicap system, EVGA was #1, by a strong margin.  But all the OTHER teams knew it was a fair handicap system, and did not complain that EVGA was so far ahead in the preliminary results. Ask Xavier, he saw it posted in the Captain's forum.

post edited by Adak1 - 2013/04/13 22:00:50
    jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1151
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/13 23:32:34 (permalink)
    I'll be perfectly honest. I am just some dumb chick an cant comprehend the complexity of running a race.

You know like, using numbers that gives you a distinctly stronger advantage then you are entitled to. 

Its kinda like bowling a 180 average last year and using that same handicap in this years contest when you have actually improved you average to be 250. 

The only way a handicap system would be remotely accurate is by using current data during the race and that would be ugly too.

Unlike individuals running, There are way too many variables with teams of so many levels of machines and production.

A smaller team of say 30 can easily double their efforts just by running a second box each or by doubling their number or participants. 

The cards are always stacked against the strongest team because of one simple fact.

If team A is granted has a +2 handicap against team B to be even. Any extra effort by team A must be doubled by team B putting A at a 50% advantage out the gate.

Add that to the fact that the handicaps granted are based off numbers that are old  and less productive and zero point was based of EVGA's current production really throws a monkey wrench into it.

Technically... to make it fair...  you would also need to give EVGA a + handicap using last years race results against zero point. Zero point being EVGA's current production numbers and that is what makes it really bogus.

If a team improves it's ppd over last year's CC, and continues that into the race, it has an EXCELLENT chance of winning the race. 

That statement sounds nice and all but. all improvement from last year is null and void if you are not granted the handicap against current numbers.

Let me see if i can paint it out ... If I can score 50 points this year and you can score 100, you came in first this year. Next year I get a 2 to 1 handicap. The next year rolls up and you can score 200 points but i can only score 150.  I get 2 to 1 against you I get 300 points but you stay at 200 points cause any improvements you make are a wash since I used your current numbers as zero.

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

milieu
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 00:34:25 (permalink)
    *looks around and Jumps out the window*

I fell and hurt myself now we have a handicap!!

CAG

Today is your day to ponder only one thought. Your in my way.

When in Doubt kill them all, it only stings for a second.

CAGMisfits

Adak1
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 01:42:55 (permalink)
    jinihammerer
    I'll be perfectly honest. I am just some dumb chick an cant comprehend the complexity of running a race.

Your IQ isn't the issue here, please proceed.

You know like, using numbers that gives you a distinctly stronger advantage then you are entitled to.  Its kinda like bowling a 180 average last year and using that same handicap in this years contest when you have actually improved you average to be 250. 

Stop right there! :) You are comparing a non-handicap event, with a handicapped event. And there is no comparison in their scoring. None. Zero. Be very clear on that.

The only way a handicap system would be remotely accurate is by using current data during the race and that would be ugly too.

That's called "crystal balling" an event - where you have the eyes of God and prophetically can predict the winner and loser, etc. That's bad juju all around - stinky math and stinky clarity of purpose. I don't do that.

Unlike individuals running, There are way too many variables with teams of so many levels of machines and production.
    A smaller team of say 30 can easily double their efforts just by running a second box each or by doubling their number or participants.  The cards are always stacked against the strongest team because of one simple fact. If team A is granted has a +2 handicap against team B to be even. Any extra effort by team A must be doubled by team B putting A at a 50% advantage out the gate. Add that to the fact that the handicaps granted are based off numbers that are old  and less productive and zero point was based of EVGA's current production really throws a monkey wrench into it.

We ignore all these variables - we don't need to be concerned with them at all. In a foot race, what matters is time and distance and NOT how long the runner's legs or hair is, or the color of their socks. We simply don't care.

In a folding race, what should we care about? PC's? projects given? team growth? team participation? How much is one percent more team participation going to be worth then? How do you translate these "variables" into points so it's clear what they really are worth?

It's possible, but it's very difficult to do it right - and people won't understand the math, or agree with the amount you've chosen - they'll say you're cheating when they lose - and the whole darn race was rigged from the start. It MUST be a system that people will easily understand (at least the concept if not the math). THEN they can see that it IS fair.

Technically... to make it fair...  you would also need to give EVGA a + handicap using last years race results against zero point. Zero point being EVGA's current production numbers and that is what makes it really bogus.

Last year's race production numbers were not available for me to use. I had to use 2011 race numbers, and the monthly numbers for the month of the CC, in 2012, which was not as focused as I would have liked to have used. I received the numbers for the 2012 race from Drougnor, but it was too late to get those numbers approved by the Captains, before the race.

"Adak1" If a team improves it's ppd over last year's CC, and continues that into the race, it has an EXCELLENT chance of winning the race.  

That statement sounds nice and all but. all improvement from last year is null and void if you are not granted the handicap against current numbers.

That is again, crystal balling the race. You are trying to make it FAIR by setting it up so every team should finish with the same number of points. THAT is not what handicapping is all about.

Let me see if i can paint it out ... If I can score 50 points this year and you can score 100, you came in first this year. Next year I get a 2 to 1 handicap. The next year rolls up and you can score 200 points but i can only score 150.  I get 2 to 1 against you I get 300 points but you stay at 200 points cause any improvements you make are a wash since I used your current numbers as zero.

No, you wouldn't get a 2 to 1 handicap. That's the first part of getting the right handicap, but then it gets reduced by an adjustment. Two to one would be 200% so your 200% multiplier would be adjusted to 200 * 0.94 = 188% or 1.88, not 2.0.
    And the greater your initial multiplier ("handicap"), the more you get cut down by the adjustment. That's how smaller teams, get brought back down. Otherwise, YES, small teams would have an advantage, but now they don't. (Actually, they might - but until we have at least one race using this system analyzed, I can't be sure if there is a bias to the system, or not. In any case, it's very probably the best handicapping system the CC has ever had, and it will easily be adjusted, to be more correct for next time. It's almost "self righting" in the way it becomes more accurate.)

That 94% is quite arbitrary and takes a bit of working with the numbers to get it. It might change for next year, up or down.

Historically, since the race was opened up to big and small teams, no small team has ever won the CC. When HWC won it, they had NCIX racing with them. OCF won last year, but only because we had amazing participation, and 49 outside folders came over to race with us. Several were from [H] and power folders - also, we had built several 4P's during that year. So we weren't THAT small a team - say 285 active folders, at that time.

Before the race started, Axipher ran all the CC teams point data through the handicap spreadsheet, to see if it was working OK. EVGA was ALWAYS #1 after the first day - ALWAYS. Ask Xavier, it saw the graphs on it, in the Captain's forum.

So please, either admit that you have preconceived contempt for anything not stamped, "EVGA", or admit that your team is now (as a matter of FACT), in close second place, and has an excellent chance of winning the race.

What a choice - on one hand an indisputable FACT, and on the other hand, your personal and dear prejudice. What a quandary that must put you in.

post edited by Adak1 - 2013/04/14 01:55:40
    Adak1
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 01:58:14 (permalink)
    milieu

*looks around and Jumps out the window*

I fell and hurt myself now we have a handicap!!

CAG

And once you start racing again, your handicap would be adjusted - AFTER each race. Not before. Now, how many times do you think you'd want to jump out said window, so you could get a better handicap?
    johnerz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2076
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 03:52:22 (permalink)
    Adak1

If you were that sure that the system was fair, why would you be so defensive about it?

Whilst I appreciate your efforts in designing the system in use, this does not mean that I think its the dogs dangly bits.

In fact with the tone of your posts on this forum, I'd feel ill inclined to have any good feelings towards it, or you.

Should however you change your tone and be more a "folding team" player that would mean NO MORE comments like this

"So please, either admit that you have preconceived contempt for anything not stamped, "EVGA", or admit that your team is now (as a matter of FACT), in close second place, and has an excellent chance of winning the race. 

What a choice - on one hand an indisputable FACT, and on the other hand, your personal and dear prejudice. What a quandary that must put you in. "
    Whilst I feel like replying in kind, fear not I'm above that - as should you be

for one, I would be happy if you failed to post again - but as its a free forum help yourself.

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 04:37:34 (permalink)
    Come on people lets just focus.... it's a close race

forget about the format/formula for once ...it's better than past ones - be blessed about it
    no handicap will ever be fair - because of the nature/makeup of the teams
    could it have been better - probably 

we can win this if we just get out as many people folding
    were down from our peak....lets see about getting some old folders back and some new ones

lets get the whole team reved up and doing PR, hog-tying if necessary and getting as many people new and old (not folding)veterans folding 

lets let our fingers do the typing and bringing out the membership
    it probably wouldn't hurt to convince family,neighbors and anyone you know to get online and check it out

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/14 04:55:40

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 04:55:31 (permalink)

BadBertie
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 852
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 05:03:17 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious

Come on people lets just focus.... it's a close race

forget about the format/formula for once ...it's better than past ones - be blessed about it
    no handicap will ever be fair - because of the nature/makeup of the teams
    could it have been better - probably 

we can win this if we just get out as many people folding
    were down from our peak....lets see about getting some old folders back and some new ones

lets get the whole team reved up and doing PR, hog-tying if necessary and getting as many people new and old (not folding)veterans folding 

lets let our fingers do the typing and bringing out the membership
    it probably wouldn't hurt to convince family,neighbors and anyone you know to get online and check it out

Nice one Xavier.
    As a recent member to EVGA forums and CC first-timer i'm experiencing a mixture of amusement and concern. If one of the key goals of CC is to increase membership in house handbag swinging isnt it unless that's the type of folders you are looking to attract.

I can understand people far more knowledgeable than myself putting in far more time and effort into this than i am currently able to. In my regular job i see frequent instances where it is easier to ciriticise something others have created than start something yourself from scratch. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism. But if you see something may be done better, provide a realistic solution rather than just saying its rubbish.

We already have a forum for the 2014 CC. lets put that to good use.

......   and fold like crazy EVGApes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KTM Super Duke R EVO
    troy8d
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2817
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 05:36:22 (permalink)
    After watching the Chimp Challenge for 3 years now I have come to the conclusion that the true spirit of the Chimp Challenge is to learn the lesson that when it comes to folding, ultimately the numbers do not matter.  While it can be fun to watch the numbers bounce around, if what ultimately drives you are the numbers you're probably better off mining bitcoins.  This is especially true in the Chimp Challenge.

If we're honest with ourselves, the Chimp Challenge has becomes such a bastardized version of its original self that is unrecognizable.  One can hardly find any meaning in a contest format that varies haphazardly every year, and this year was designed was designed by an individual that at best we can describe as inept and at worst as intentionally stacking the deck in favor of his own team.  (Either way, the guy clearly has portrayed himself as an ass on our forums).

For as long as I've observed, the contest design has fallen victim to a bad combination of inter-team politics, laziness and ineptitude.  Granted there are so many factors that come into play regarding the Chimp Challenge that it is incredibly difficult to design something that is perfectly fair for all involved, but I also believe that this year is far from a "best effort" attempt at it.

At the end of the day my advice is to grab a cold one, sit back and enjoy the show.  Fold what you can, but don't worry too much about the numbers that were haphazardly constructed - victory under such circumstances is just as hollow as defeat.  And certainly don't let it bother you when Adak stops by and trolls our forums, it is not at all worthwhile engaging him...

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
    jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 05:41:50 (permalink)
    Sorry Berti, Adak is from overclockers.com team not that I hold that against overclockers, I been a member over there forums for a very very long time. 

I was simply pointing out the fatal flaw in the logic of the contest.
     HIS logic since he is the master brain trust of the equations used this year. Frankly, I was not even speaking to him. I have no need to speak to some random abrasive internet d00d.

From my sparse experience I have had speaking with this individual and reading his online banter,  I have come to the conclusion that there really is no point speaking to him. He is right and he will tell you so along with insulting you for speaking of such things.

Anyway that is neither here nor there. its not internal bickering going on I guess was my point. 

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2969
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 05:47:02 (permalink)
    AB, I don't know if you have the ability to split topics, but any debating of formulas etc needs to go elsewhere.  It is what it is for this year, it shouldn't be changed at this point, so let's just get down to the business of folding.

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 05:57:03 (permalink)
    Done 

BadBertie
    SSC Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 05:59:23 (permalink)
    jinihammerer

Sorry Berti, Adak is from overclockers.com team not that I hold that against overclockers, I been a member over there forums for a very very long time. 
    Anyway that is neither here nor there. its not internal bickering going on I guess was my point. 

ahh, all is a little clearer. Thanks jinihammerer.
    I'll put my own handbag down then 

Attached Image(s)

KTM Super Duke R EVO
    jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 06:00:34 (permalink)
    hey move my giving her all she got post back ;P that's race hype!  Fine i'll just post it again ;

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 06:02:39 (permalink)
    jinihammerer

hey move my giving her all she got post back ;P that's race hype!  Fine i'll just post it again ;

That would be best actually... TY!

BadBertie
    SSC Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 06:04:49 (permalink)
    jinihammerer

Peace, Harmony and Folding Man. Ohh ok, maybe a bit of poo flinging too.

KTM Super Duke R EVO
    johnerz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 07:58:19 (permalink)
    Done all my flinging folks    
    I'm happy to be folding all I can for the cause and the team 

I'll try not to be to techey in the future, but no promises OK?

Adak1
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 09:45:12 (permalink)
    johnerz

Adak1

If you were that sure that the system was fair, why would you be so defensive about it?

Because you're in a very public forum, and you are demeaning not just the handicap system, but also the entire race. If you were in a private forum somewhere, I wouldn't care.

I don't want to see the CC go back to the system we used the last two years, with multiple categories, with measures that can't be reasonably quantified into raw points. If we keep the race results centered on actual points but still handicapped, it may flourish. If we don't, it probably won't.

I really don't need to defend the handicap system to EVGA. You'll like it just fine when you see that you're doing well in the race, and perhaps learn that I picked you as the pre race favorite to win, as well.

That's another FACT, and you probably won't put up with nonsense like that, since it won't conform to your excessively team-centric prejudices and dismissive attitudes very well. Another FACT is, you don't know ANYTHING when it comes to handicapping. You have never handicapped ANYTHING in your life.

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 09:51:05 (permalink)
    Tsk Tsk... no yelling in the forums... back to folding folks!  I mean NOW!

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 11:19:24 (permalink)

Adak1

johnerz

Adak1

Because you're in a very public forum, and you are demeaning not just the handicap system, but also the entire race. If you were in a private forum somewhere, I wouldn't care.

I don't want to see the CC go back to the system we used the last two years, with multiple categories, with measures that can't be reasonably quantified into raw points. If we keep the race results centered on actual points but still handicapped, it may flourish. If we don't, it probably won't.

I really don't need to defend the handicap system to EVGA. You'll like it just fine when you see that you're doing well in the race, and perhaps learn that I picked you as the pre race favorite to win, as well.

That's another FACT, and you probably won't put up with nonsense like that, since it won't conform to your excessively team-centric prejudices and dismissive attitudes very well. Another FACT is, you don't know ANYTHING when it comes to handicapping. You have never handicapped ANYTHING in your life.

Fact. All anyone from any team has to do is read all your posts here and they get a good picture about your feelings, how you conduct yourself when visiting other forums and opinions.

Fact. When one "Creates" "Takes full credit for creation of formula", that person needs to be more open to feedback in order for "The masses" to not only better understand/want to promote it and or feel the need to support said "Formula"... The majority want it to work.

Fact. There is no "I" in team. You have a lot of "I's" in all your communication.

Fact. You are not only hurting CC at the moment, you are losing creditably each time you make a post like the one I have copied here.

Fact. No one that we are aware of at this time, has yet found the perfect solution. There in fact may not be one. However, it is wonderful that you and others have taken a shot at it.

Fact. This year more folks seemed to be involved and as a result a lot of very productive changes happened. We need to NOT lose sight of that. Seriously.

Not a fact, but rather based off of memory. Even with all the attempted handicapping we have seen the last three years (Including this year)... There are still at max, only three teams going for the win. This is saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Fact. If this is going to be a once a year "Main event" for multiple teams. Then the Captains should...
    1. Have a thread exclusive to the Captains (Like you do now) that all ideas can be discussed from the day after the current event.
    2. Discuss what worked and what did not, now. Not next year. Grow from the knowledge.
    3. Allow for testing to happen throughout the year. Be open to each teams ideas and actually try them... Do not tell the teams on the forums when you are testing. Keep it behind doors. Run all the ideas. Maybe, just maybe by doing this, a combination of all the ideas will show the "Answer" we all would love to see. A competitive event for all participants that maintains focus on growth of the community.
    Speaking for myself here...

It seems to me that the current format (Time of year, length, new teams coming on board, easier to understand handicapping, etc) is much closer to the answer than the last two years had been. And boy am I glad to see that! This means folks are listening. And are trying to make it a better event. That is leadership that works!

However, I do find it interesting how one team the last three years is always in the top three, but "The majority" of the others teams have no chance to win even with all the calculations. This is counterproductive. 

It seems very clear to me, from where I sit. That our message is not being heard. Please allow me to give you a brief idea of what that message is.

• We want the focus to be about growing Folding @ Home awareness.
    • We want to have a great time and participate like any other team in a fair contest.
    • We want all teams to have a chance to win. Not us, or yours, or just three or four teams. All of them.
    • We have one of the largest active memberships of all teams in the world. Yet in the past we had been shut out of the conversations, then allowed to at least give thoughts, all ignored, to this year being more of a team input. So we will have those memories until we feel like we do this year for a couple years. That we at least are equal to the input of any other team and taken seriously.
    • Because of the pure size of our team, the odds are in our favor that at least a couple of us have a good idea on how to "Lead" and assist in handicapping. Yet year after year, we are ignored, or get comments like yours telling us we have no idea. So how is it exactly that we, with more folks from all walks of life, do not have folks who can help... But smaller teams do? Seems predigest to me.
    Those are some of the ways I think we feel. "Some"...

johnerz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 11:55:43 (permalink)
    Adak1

johnerz

Adak1

You are a very sad person

You make statements that you can not substantiate
    You have no idea of my age, background or abilities, yet you feel defensive enough to resort to shouting and assumptions.

That's the last I will have to say to you on this or any other matter.

Go and climb back under the rock you came from

post edited by johnerz - 2013/04/14 12:00:43

Attached Image(s)

jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 11:56:38 (permalink)
    I am very sorry... but .. i just could not help myself...

johnerz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 12:01:57 (permalink)
    Naughty girl, your skills are damm good  

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile