EVGA

Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC?

Author
dukenuke88
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1698
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/03/14 18:48:23 (permalink)
Do you guys think Amazon Instant Video will bring HD streaming back to PC customers?  Or am I stuck having to buy a Roku or PS3?  

12 Replies Related Threads

dukenuke88
    FTW Member
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/03/23 23:15:58 (permalink)
    81 views and no replies?  
    z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/03/24 05:30:27 (permalink)
    I uh, really have no idea if they will or not, We have a roku, so that's what we use, cheaper than a PS3 (but then again you can play those console exclusive games on a PS3 as well, and have a blueray player with it)
    dukenuke88
    FTW Member
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/03/24 15:16:21 (permalink)
    Okay so I might just step up and buy a Roku...I have a Dell U3011 monitor that I want to watch HD movies in it's full glory...so I guess a Roku is the only way to go on this one

My question is, how do I go about streaming movies on the Roku and listen to the audio?  I don't see any audio ports on the Roku itself....I just see power, HDMI, and ethernet...I currently have Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers connected via RCA cables on to the back of my Asus Xonar STX Sound Card.  Please advise :(
    z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/03/24 15:31:32 (permalink)
    In the roku 2 XS there is a special cable that branches out into composite cables, yellow, red, and white, plug that in and use the red and white cables to hook up to speakers, and the HDMI for the display. Also if you need a stereo source you may be able to run the audio through the Dell u3011, I think it has an audio out, but I'm not sure if it'll take the audio from an HDMI or not.
    post edited by z999z3mystorys - 2013/03/24 15:33:22
    Kanti
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4739
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/03/24 15:54:38 (permalink)
    My gal watched em by clicking on the links, they just popped open....BUT if you want to go the extra mile, and make glorious win for motherland: 

1)  Download a current copy of XBMC v. 11.0 or above (Xbox media center foo mr.t.jpg)
    2) and this crap:

Installing the Bluecop Repository

To install the Bluecop repository you need to know how to install third-party repositories for XBMC.  First, download the Bluecop ZIP file here. Second, place the ZIP file somewhere your XBMC installation can see it (network share, flash drive you can plug into the computer running XBMC, etc.) Third, navigate to System –> Add-ons –> Install from zip file. Navigate to and select the Bluecop ZIP file and click OK.
    Wait a moment or two for it to install and then navigate to System –> Add-ons –> Get Add-ons. Within that sub-menu you’ll see the Bluecop Add-on Repository—as seen in the screenshot above. Within the Bluecop repository is where we’ll find the add-ons we’re looking for.   Go ahead and select it now.

Installing the Amazon Add-on

To install the Amazon Video add-on, repeat the same installation steps you followed to install the Hulu add-on. Visit System –> Add-ons –> Get Add-ons, and select Bluecop Add-on Repository. Within the sub-menu you’ll see Amazon.
    Select and install the Amazon add-on.  You’ll need to select the Configure menu and plug in the Amazon credentials of an Amazon account that has Prime enabled (only Prime members have access to the Amazon Video library).
    Once you’ve plugged in your credentials, however, it’s smooth sailing.  Jump back to the main XBMC menu, select Video –> Add-ons –> Amazon. You can pick from movies, television, your library, and you can search the videos.

Nice and crisp HD playback with no stuttering.
    One last thing to make it even easier to access them.

Adding Shortcuts To The Main Screen

XBMC Eden supports handy front-screen shortcuts. Rather than forcing you to navigate through sub-menus you can easily add them right to the main navigation screen.
    To do so, visit System –> Settings –> Skin.  Under the Skin menu you’ll find the Add-on Shortcuts sub-menu. There you can add short cuts to add-ons for most of the major entries on the main screen. Youe’re interested in the Videos Submenu. If you’ve never used this feature before, you’ll see five empty slots. Click on one to pick a video add-on.

Put that money you'd spend on another useless box towards prime if you don't already have it.  I ran Amazon Prime video through XBMC when I had it for free for what, 45 days?  well worth the investment in time, plus you can watch one thing in one room on XBMC, and another thing off the Amazon site in another room.  Two different shows at the same time, yo!

post edited by Kanti - 2013/03/24 15:58:31

Muh 'filiate code: 387JKEF57G
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/03/25 00:15:53 (permalink)
    I just use my LG tv to stream to. It does SBS Full HD just fine.
    Halfdead14
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 973
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/03/25 03:22:27 (permalink)
    I got a roku, it's nice.
    blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/09/14 12:03:11 (permalink)
    I know this is an older thread but I feel like I just got scammed by Amazon. Nowhere was it listed that you couldnt stream HD to a PC unless you look in the little FAQ thing for streaming and it's a little cliff note at the bottom. Of course they wont do a return either. That's the last time I purchase anything with that service.

JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/09/14 12:10:46 (permalink)
    You can't stream HD on PC? I did it with my laptop.... O_o

Edit: Just checked my previous rentals, It was actually SD.

P.S. I just saw this :

I spotted that right away. It WARNS YOU that HD movies are only available on certain things. You didn't get scammed, You just didn't pay attention to what you were buying/renting.
    post edited by RushXTC - 2013/09/14 12:14:03

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/09/14 12:17:50 (permalink)
    RushXTC

P.S. I just saw this :

I spotted that right away. It WARNS YOU that HD movies are only available on certain things. You didn't get scammed, You just didn't pay attention to what you were buying/renting.

Yeah and one would assume this means devices that dont support HD resolution such as some phones/tablets. You can stream in HD to a PS3, Kindle Fire HD, or even a Roku box but not a PC which is by FAR a more capable platform for streaming in HD than anything else supported. A PC can use just about any video codec, wired/wireless connection, security, you name it. IMO they should have a big warning label on there that you cant steam HD to a PC since the vast majority of people shopping on Amazon do it from a PC. So yes it is a scam.

JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/09/14 12:21:53 (permalink)
    Wait, A big warning you say? I decided to take it a step further and actually RENT an HD movie... I clicked the 24-hour rent button and behold :

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

dukenuke88
    FTW Member
    Re:Amazon Instant Video, will they bring back HD streaming to PC? 2013/09/14 12:24:45 (permalink)
    RushXTC

P.S. I just saw this :

I agree with blacksapphire....it warns you, but its VERY vague in it's description.  I'm sure half the people who read this little box will immediately think, "Oh, of course my PC is an HD device".
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile