Modified Bios and Warranty

Superclocked Member
2012/08/06 08:33:30
I'm wondering how flashing custom bios would work with the warranty.  

A couple days ago a member on a different forum posted custom bios for many 670/680 cards that allows the voltage to be increased to 1.2120 without the need for a hardware mod.  Basically accomplishing the same thing Evbot can do for Classified cards. 

I was thinking about attempting this with one of my 670 FTWs but I wanted to see if it voids the warranty.  Would it be similar to installing a customer cooler? Meaning if put back to it's original state prior to an RMA then it's OK? 
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 08:36:12
I am not positive but I would think that if you made a mistake and 'bricked' your board, the warranty would effectively be voided.
thebski
SSC Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 08:40:09
If it doesn't void the warranty that would be really sweet, but I can't imagine how it wouldn't void it if EVGA knew it was installed. I do not know the answer but would be really interested in trying it if it didn't void the warranty!
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 08:51:20
I bricked a Sapphire HD-5870 because I didn't know what I was doing. Sapphire replaced it, no questions asked but I refuse to try anything so foolish ever again. My board works well enough as it is and I have never resorted to increasing the voltage on any of my boards. 
Andrew_K
FTW Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 08:54:25
If you try to raise voltage on your 680, an nVidia rep will hunt you down and eliminate you. They feel that strongly about having an unnecessary amount of power over your graphics.

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:00:33
Andrew_K

If you try to raise voltage on your 680, an nVidia rep will hunt you down and eliminate you. They feel that strongly about having an unnecessary amount of power over your graphics.

I knew it!
Gerann
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:02:01
The EVBot will allow a higher voltage limit, and works for more than GPU voltage.

NVVDD GPU Voltage
FBVDD Memory Voltage
PEXVDD1 PCIe Voltage #1
PEXVDD2 PCIe Voltage #2
OCP OverCurrent Protection  

;)
Andrew_K
FTW Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:05:16
Gerann

The EVBot will allow a higher voltage limit, and works for more than GPU voltage.

NVVDD GPU Voltage  
FBVDD Memory Voltage
PEXVDD1 PCIe Voltage #1
PEXVDD2 PCIe Voltage #2

;)

One does not simply "use evbot" on a 670.
mcarey6
Superclocked Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:14:28
I'm not too worried about bricking it.  I know it's a possibility but I've done it in the past and it's not hard.  But Murphy likes come around when he's not welcome. I'm not even 100% sure I'll even both with it but wanted to have the info beforehand. 

Hopfully and EVGA rep will chime in. I'd understand them not honoring it on a brick.  But if the card still works and has issues unrelated to a bios flash I'd hope they'd be willing to replace it. 

Andrew_K 

I already planned for this with a big "ATI Inside" sticker on the door. But incase that doesn't work, there's bucket of marbles by the door and vegetable oil on the hallway floor. :p
smartikat
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:31:40
hmmmm, it was my understanding that the voltage is "hardware" locked.  Only 3 cards contain the needed hardware mod to allow you to adjust it...  Lightning, Classified, and a 670 PE from MSI.  The Asus DC II need physical modification I believe.  The rest of them?  You need to cut the circuit board and solder some wires to get a higher voltage pass 1.175.  Are you saying that is no longer the case?  Someone figure out a way to bypass the "hardware" lock?  I thought that's impossible.
_MatthewH
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:39:33
Flashing a BIOS not provided directly from EVGA would fall under modifications:
  • The product must be returned to EVGA in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modifications must be reversed before sending in the product for replacement.
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:42:38
Save the -Original- BIOS before flashing
*the first rule of BIOS flashing, is you do NOT talk about BIOS flashing

Upon any warrenty return to EVGA, the -original BIOS must be -on the card-
If for ANY reason you attempt to return a card to EVGA without the original BIOS, it will be returned to you -its warrenty void-

*Personally I think that such voltage modded BIOS for the 600 series is ill-advised, unless you can afford to throw it in the trash and buy a replacement. If you can afford it, mod away
Andrew_K
FTW Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:43:50
EVGA_MatthewH

• The product must be returned to EVGA in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modifications must be reversed before sending in the product for replacement.

Meaning as long as you revert to the original bios before sending it in, it's fine? (provided you can do that with the card that needs an rma)
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:44:17
EVGA_MatthewH

That was my concern. After I bricked the Sapphire board, I coudn't restore the BIOS that I'd saved using GPU-Z. Sapphire was very good about the RMA. EVGA might not be so understanding, and I wouldn't blame them either. Their boards are excellent as is, no modification required.
mcarey6
Superclocked Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 09:57:15
EVGA_MatthewH 

Great, thanks for the response.

smartikat

hmmmm, it was my understanding that the voltage is "hardware" locked.  Only 3 cards contain the needed hardware mod to allow you to adjust it...  Lightning, Classified, and a 670 PE from MSI.  The Asus DC II need physical modification I believe.  The rest of them?  You need to cut the circuit board and solder some wires to get a higher voltage pass 1.175.  Are you saying that is no longer the case?  Someone figure out a way to bypass the "hardware" lock?  I thought that's impossible.

The way I understand it the hardware limit is at 1.2120 but the bios lock it at 1.175.  Which is why the 680 Classified can use EVbot to raise from the bios limit to the hardware limit.  The modified bios ditch the bios limit. 

maniacvvv 
Save the -Original- BIOS before flashing 
*the first rule of BIOS flashing, is you do NOT talk about BIOS flashing 

Upon any warrenty return to EVGA, the -original BIOS must be -on the card- 
If for ANY reason you attempt to return a card to EVGA without the original BIOS, it will be returned to you -its warrenty void- 

*Personally I think that such voltage modded BIOS for the 600 series is ill-advised, unless you can afford to throw it in the trash and buy a replacement. If you can afford it, mod away 

I understand it needs to be on the card when it's returned.  If it bricks then it's an SOL situation. 

There's a massive amount of people over on OCN that have already tried it and have had success with it.  The average seems to be 50mhz+.  Obviously not a huge but a nice boost none the less. 
MaelstromOC
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 10:52:11
I wouldn't run that much voltage for just 50mhz gain. I'm already a little weary to overclocking these because I had to RMA my first card, though I believe the cause to be failed ram.

That said, I see one guy has reported getting 1450mhz on the core lol, that's pretty awesome! I just wonder how long the hardware could hold up pushing it's max like that. I'd imagine running hardware a safe level below it's max would do wonders for the longevity of the card.
Jpump
Superclocked Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/06 11:56:42
I would love to do it just for the 100% fan speed. The noise wouldn't bother me since I wear headphones and can't hear a single thing with them on.
Menthol003
Superclocked Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/07 06:10:02
EVGA_MatthewH

Honesty and integrity define who you are as a person. Flash and Mod to your hearts content, but don't hold the manufacturer responsible, they are trying to provide you a product and make a profit.
Gerann
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/07 08:17:38
Andrew_K

Gerann

NVVDD GPU Voltage  
FBVDD Memory Voltage
PEXVDD1 PCIe Voltage #1
PEXVDD2 PCIe Voltage #2  

;)

Of course not, but the OP specifically mentioned the Classified and EVBot.

;)
Andrew_K
FTW Member
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/07 09:10:54
Gerann

Andrew_K

Gerann

NVVDD GPU Voltage  
FBVDD Memory Voltage
PEXVDD1 PCIe Voltage #1
PEXVDD2 PCIe Voltage #2  

;)

;)

He mentioned it, but no questions were posed about it specifically. He said he has a 670, not a classified. His question was:

I was thinking about attempting this with one of my 670 FTWs but I wanted to see if it voids the warranty.

;)
Gerann
Re:Modified Bios and Warranty 2012/08/07 09:22:10
Andrew_K

Gerann

Andrew_K

Gerann

NVVDD GPU Voltage  
FBVDD Memory Voltage
PEXVDD1 PCIe Voltage #1
PEXVDD2 PCIe Voltage #2  

;)

;)

He mentioned it, but no questions were posed about it specifically. He said he has a 670, not a classified. His question was:

I was thinking about attempting this with one of my 670 FTWs but I wanted to see if it voids the warranty.

;)

Sheesh, Andrew! lol I was merely trying to correct the slight error made in this statement:

From the original post by mcarey6:

Basically accomplishing the same thing Evbot can do for Classified cards.

• Back to Mobile