EVGA

How to skin Precision X

Author
spacepig
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2012/04/18 08:25:23 (permalink)
Maybe there allready exist a similar post but as a therapy task during a horrible long meeting i am writing this anyway and maybe it can inspire some skinners :)

I am writing this blind (meaning i do not have precision X on my work computer) but i will keep updating the post once i am home and can see if i have made any errors. My goal is to explain each variable and picture as a full tutorial.

Tools:
Notepad (or text/code editor of choice)
Photoshop/Paint.# (or any image editor of choice)

How to start?
Start by decompiling the default skin. You can of course decompile any skin but by using the default you know you get all the pieces that the original composer(EVGA) intended should be there.
You can decompile in 2 ways.
Option A:
  1. Press start, and type cmd in the little search field and press enter.
  2. In the command window navigateto where your evgaprecision.exe is located. (You do this by typing cd c, cd program files etc etc,  cd.. will bring you one step back)
  3. Type EVGAPrecisionX.exe –ds default,jsRfsgTd
(default is the name of the skin/usf file you are decompiling and jsRfsgTd is the password used by precision X)

Option B:
  1. Rightclick on EVGAPrecision.exe and select ‘create a shortcut’.
  2. Rightclick on the shortcut and select ‘Properties’.
  3. Under Target add –ds default,jsRfsgTd
  4. Press ok
  5. Doubleclick your shortcut.

Either case, once done a new folder will be created under the folder ‘skins’ named ‘default’. It have all the files for skinning.
I recommend to open the folder, copy all and then create a new folder with your skin name of choice and paste the files in there.

Now you want to open the file named Header. Open it with Notepad and change the description name close to the top.
This is what will show as name when you go in user interface under the settings tab in Precision X.

Now repeat Option A or Option B above but replace –ds with – cs and replace default with your-skin-name and skip the password.
"EVGAPrecision.exe –cs myskin"
Once done you will have a new skin to chose in Precision X. At this point it is a duplicate of default but still :)

Pics
While browsing your skin folder you will notice that most pics have a white/black duplicate named somethingAlpha.bmp
Alpha images are masks used to make parts of the real picture invisible. Imagine that you put the somethingAlpha.bmp on top of your something.bmp and everything that is under the white areas on the alpha image will be visible and everything that is under the black area on the alpha image will now be deleted/transparent/invisible.
Performancelog.bmp and performancelogalpha.bmp (yeah, its the white pic above the highlighed line lol)
I recommend to use photoshop or other tools that allows you to work in layers. That way it is very easy to work with alpha by creating a new layer on top of the actual image and that way see what will be covered and what will not.

Remember when saving your bmp work, to save it as uncompressed 24bit bmp.  The skin will not compile if not 24bit bmp.(Thanks Drerex, keep em coming)

Do not delete any pictures at this point since it will cause your skin to fail compiling unless it is equally modified in the header file. I have not found a good way of deleting pictures yet so what i have been doing instead for unused items is to give them a 888,888 start coordinate for a skin that is 600,200. That basically place the image in a wasteland nobody can ever see or use without having to delete it.

The header file will use coordinates for 90% of the items. Rather then testing a million times to get everything in the right spot, again i recommend using an image editor that have mouse coords. In photoshop, click on top menu 'Windows' and then select 'Info' in the drop down and it will give you the coords of your mouse cursor.

Header File
Here is a description of the Header file parameters and what they mean. I will only list items that you can change. If it is not listed in here then i can not guarantee the compile will work if you modify it. Ofcourse you can always change it back.
Do not remove a line unless you know what it is, the compile process is fairly sensitive.
Name			= EVGA Precision X Mini skin
The name of your skin, this is not related to your skin folder name.
Author			= SpacepiG
If you write something in here it will add "By SpacepiG" after the skin name.

BMP_PREVIEW				= Preview.bmp
Now you will see a long list similar to this line. It is to give the skin engine a usable name that you will use further down  in the header file. It is not needed to change if you base your skin on an existing skin and dont rename the files. 
BMP_PREVIEW_HOT  = Preview.bmp,Hot
This line indicates that there is a bmp effect added to the image at certain situations. See below.

[BitmapEffect.Hot]Brightness		= 25
Bitmaps effects are used to modify images such as buttons when something is pressed, mouse over or selected. You can add as many effects as you want to a bitmap.
Look at test button. To the left it is normal, middle mouse over and right, mousedown (button, hot, pressed)

Here are some effects:
 Brightness, uses an integer(number for value) Higher value gives more brightness, negative value gives darker effect.
Gamma, uses an integer. Adjusts the color brightness and sharpness.
Scroll, use an x and or y value. (scroll = x,y). This effect will scroll your bitmap. Can be quite powerful with an alpha mask.

Base			= 0,0,,BMP_BASE
Use a coordinate on a picture to define transparent color. In this case pixel 0,0 from the image BMP_BASE will be used as color key. This is mainly used if you want a non square/rectangular main window. You then paint the surrounding with the color found in pixel 0,0 and it will be transparent.
Preview			= BMP_PREVIEW 
An image used to show your skin in PrecisionX. You can also add texts or watermark on that picture if you want. (see pic above)

[WND_MAIN.Sites]SITE_MONITORING		=    186,150,         ,,			,0,0,BMP_MONITORING_PANEL,
You can define panels, as example the profiles, monitoring and framerate are defined as sites. The values are Name of site, coordinates for the top left corner, coordinates for color key, background image used.

[WND_MAIN.Buttons]
This is a long one so i will not list all. Values are: Name of button, Coordinates for top left corner, name for regular button image, name for alpha, name for hot(mouseover), name for hot alpha, name for pressed, name for pressed alpha,

[WND_MAIN.Sliders]
Sliders, used to change values on Fan ie. Values are: Name of slider = coordinates for top left,00000001(up/down) or 00010001(left to right), slider image, slider alpha image, slider hot image, hot alpha, slider background image, background alpha, selected image, selected alpha image.

Keep in mind that a sliders length and thereby sensitivity is controlled by the length of the pic. Too small and you will not be able to change it very easily. Also, all sliders do not have to use the same images.

[WND_MAIN.Texts] TEXT_CORE_CLK		= 210,96,00000011h,,			,BMP_FONT,BMP_FONT_ALPHA,,12,12,2Eh 7Fh 2Fh 20h
This is for various text areas at PX. Dynamic textfields. The values are: Name = Coordinates top left corner, code,,, name of image and alpha,,size x size y, color codes.

Keep in mind that you will need 2 images (reg and alpha) to change fontsize so design well, they take a little time to create.

Indicators are controls changing their appearance based on dynamic values. With some light header coding the indicator can be connected to another control in the skin to respond to a slider position or pressed button as example. 
IND_CORE_VOLTAGE        = 239,103,         ,,                   ,1,1,,BMP_VOLTAGE_INDICATOR,BMP_VOLTAGE_INDICATOR_ALPHA,1,00000000h,0061CEB4h

Indicator Name = x,y,,Indicator image,Indicator image alpha,1,background color, bar color

I am unsure of the remaining values but found the statement below online. I will investigate.
<indicator_id> = <x>,<y>,<flags_override>,<z_order>,<site>,<indicat or_animation_matrix_x>,<indicator_animation_matrix _y>,<indicator_animation_matrix_frametime>,<indica tor_bitmap_id>,<indicator_bitmap_alpha_id>

<indicator_animation_matrix_x>,<indicator_animatio n_matrix_y>,<indicator_animation_matrix_frametime> ,<indicator_bitmap_id> and <indicator_bitmap_alpha_id> items define indicator animation parameters, animation matrix image and alpha channel bitmaps. <indicator_animation_matrix_x> and <indicator_animation_matrix_y> items define horizontal and vertical matrix sizes (in sprite units). <indicator_animation_matrix_frametime> item defines animation frame time in milliseconds. Animation matrix rows define passive animation frames loop and animation matrix columns define animation frames for different states indication.
Please take a note that you can use fake indicators with a single animated row (i.e. indicators looking similar regardless or indicated parameter value) to add some passive animation to your skins.
    I am waiting for some updates on indicators but i will keep adding info while waiting.
[WND_MAIN.Placeholders] 
PLACEHOLDER_MON_WND     =  0, 0,         ,,SITE_MONITORING      ,613,63,000000h,FFFFFFh,181818h,FFFFFFh,00FFFFh,606060h
The placeholders are fake mainly non skinable controls that we need to assign space for. In this example we are telling the monitor graph to start at 0,0 (see above for assigned coords for sites), use the SITE_MONITORING site, 613pixel width, 63 pixel height, black background (000000 hex is black), white text (FFFFFF hex is white. The rest i am unsure of, Drexrer, do you know?

Each time you change anything in your Header file or an image you need to compile to see the change.
  1. change something
  2. compile it
  3. close/open precision X or change to default skin and back to your new skin.
  4. Tadaa, you can now see your changes.
Default skin folder:

post edited by spacepig - 2012/04/19 23:55:34

CoFounder/Lead Programmer ReKoil  
Project Hothead                                              Project Lan Central 
Case:Level 10 GT                                               Case:Kandalf
PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w               PSU:ABS 800w
CPU:i7-2600k                                                     CPU:i7-920
GPU: 680                                              

28 Replies Related Threads

WgregB
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 228
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/18 09:28:57 (permalink)
    I have been wanting to give it a try. Keep going with the instructions. I'll give it a shot. Maybe I'll crash and Burn what the heck.
    "I like the one you are working on."

ASRock P67 Extreme6 - i5-2500k
    G-Skill Ripjaw 1600 -16GB
    OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Agility 4, Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003
     Hitachi GST Deskstar 2 TB - Storage
    2-GTX 460 SLI 
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
    Drerex
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3892
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/18 11:07:49 (permalink)
    Well said spacepig.  Very nice and detailed.  

Remember when saving your bmp work, to save it as 24bit bmp.  The skin will not compile if not 24bit bmp.  

Also when editing the skinbase.bmp,  be careful of the fuschia that might show up in the edited saved graphic.  This color is on the edge of the perimeter of the graphic.  While creating fade or such, it could turn the fushia at certain points to become a shade darker or lighter.  This would result of having a faulty transparency.  Just keep that in mind.

Remember while editing an image with an alpha appreciated with it, be wary that the alpha is very sensitive.  One line, dot, smudge or something like that can create a distorted image in the end.  

Just thought I could share some interesting points.

spacepig
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/18 23:55:26 (permalink)
    Update: First post have been populated with some more header info.

Project Hothead                                              Project Lan Central 
    spacepig
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/19 05:48:07 (permalink)
    Please feel free to ask questions if you do not understand or correct me if i am wrong. English is not my native language, i have only looked into skinning for the past 3 days and my thoughts can sometimes be confusing even for me. I appreciate any corrections or questions.

spacepig
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/19 07:04:04 (permalink)
    Almost complete header section and some update pics info in first post.

spacepig
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/20 00:00:01 (permalink)
    That's about it for today :) Pics and corrections added.

leandrojvarini
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/22 16:44:31 (permalink)
    congratulations for the tutorial!

SORRY MY BAD ENGLISH!
    vernacular
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 187
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/22 23:24:16 (permalink)
    You can also open up a text editor such as notepad and enter:

@echo off
    echo.
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\EVGA Precision X\EVGAPrecision.exe" -ds default,jsRfsgTd
    exit

Then save it as "DecompileSkin.bat". Similarly you can enter:

@echo off
    echo.
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\EVGA Precision X\EVGAPrecision.exe" -cs [-c] default,jsRfsgTd
    exit

Then save it as "CompileSkin.bat"
    You can run these .bat files from anywhere and they'll execute the compile or decompile command. Replace default in them with the name of the skin you wish to compile or decompile. For example: if you place a skin folder full of images into "C:\Program Files (x86)\EVGA Precision X\Skins" named testskin you would replace default with testskin for the compile script. This is all assuming you installed Precision X to that directory, of course. If you're doing this with regular Precision and not Precision X just exchange EVGA Precision X with EVGA Precision in the file paths and it should be the same deal.

CASE: Lian Li O11-Dynamic (Alpine White) .. MOBO: GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master .. CPU: Intel i9-9900K w/ EK Supremacy EVO Nickel .. GPU: EVGA 2080 Ti XC Gaming w/ Phanteks Glacier Waterblock .. RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz .. RADs: 360mm + 240mm .. PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w .. DISPLAYs: Asus PG297 + XP-Pen 15.6 .. OS: Windows 10 Pro
    vernacular
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/04/26 01:25:48 (permalink)
    Here's a simple guide demonstrating hex color conversion for dumb-dumbs like me who couldn't figure it out at first.

^ Shown above is changing the color of the voltage monitor in Precision X to a dim, slightly-less-saturated blue using the hex number from Photoshop that is re-arranged from RGB to BGR. The "h" at the end indicates that it's a hex number which is important so be careful not to erase that when making changes.

CASE: Lian Li O11-Dynamic (Alpine White) .. MOBO: GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master .. CPU: Intel i9-9900K w/ EK Supremacy EVO Nickel .. GPU: EVGA 2080 Ti XC Gaming w/ Phanteks Glacier Waterblock .. RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz .. RADs: 360mm + 240mm .. PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w .. DISPLAYs: Asus PG297 + XP-Pen 15.6 .. OS: Windows 10 Pro
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/05/23 11:50:23 (permalink)
    I wish precision X had a detachable panel that I had the option to add more graphs too then just 3. changing the graphs is a hassle too, if at least it had a drop down or button to change them.

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/05/23 12:22:00 (permalink)
    If you double click the graph area they all will pop out.

ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/05/26 23:18:33 (permalink)
    EVGA_JacobF

If you double click the graph area they all will pop out.
    TY, I love it now!

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    Tom Adams
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/09/09 04:02:30 (permalink)
    Spacepig,
    Great tutorial, I appreciate the work you put into it! Do you have any objections to people modifying Precision X Mini?
    post edited by Tom Adams - 2012/09/09 04:03:47

Stop with the unboxing videos already, it is this generations "mullet hair cut".
    Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=83173

Squeebattack
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/10/25 15:16:38 (permalink)
    I have Remixed a couple of skins to say GEFORCE GTX660Ti, and also Remixed the Sabre skin. I was wondering if I could upload them here. If not if anyone wants them just PM me. They are very well done and look great. I attached a picture of them.

Attached Image(s)

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/10/25 15:19:55 (permalink)
    Put them on a sight that will host them for you like MediaFire.
    Then make a post here with the picture of them and the link to download them.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    Squeebattack
    Superclocked Member
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/10/25 16:56:16 (permalink)
    I had to use 's Vernacular's method to decompile and compile the skins. Without it I would be stuck thanks. Remixing those skins was allot of fun.
    post edited by Squeebattack - 2012/10/25 16:57:41
    lastsamurairick
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2419
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/10/27 10:11:31 (permalink)
    Very nice 

Intel 10900k @ 3.7 Stock
      EVGA Z490 Dark 
      EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070Ti FTW3
      G SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL 32GB
      EVGA 1000G5
    overlordcomputer
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/11/03 13:32:49 (permalink)
    thanks for this!
    Squeebattack
    Superclocked Member
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2012/11/03 20:49:21 (permalink)
    I've been doing some skins and its allot of fun, more people should try it. Check the custom skins thread to see all the cool skins people have made.
    post edited by Squeebattack - 2012/11/14 08:37:47
    gpvecchi
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2013/07/19 08:13:52 (permalink)
    I can't decompile skins, nothing happens...

RushX
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2014/04/14 00:02:53 (permalink)
    such a useful thread it was...! 
    boogeyman
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 181
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2014/04/14 07:31:59 (permalink)
    All images by the OP no longer exist, can this be fixed?

i72600K @ 4.5 water cooled  | Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 | 2 x 4 G Skill Ripjaw
    MSI GTX 970 | BFG Tech EX-1200
    Swiftech MCR360, MCP655-B + D-tek FuZion block
    Crucial M4 128 / 256 GB SSD, (2) HD's + DVD RW  |  X-Fi Xtremegamer
    Asus 26" widescreen | Corsair 800D case | Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2014/04/19 20:06:19 (permalink)
    boogeyman
    All images by the OP no longer exist, can this be fixed?

The OP hasn't been here in the last 2 years. So I doubt it. You could always try a PM to see if he responds.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    tdwhite
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2014/05/13 14:14:04 (permalink)
    So I've been out of the skinning game since the original precision interface.  I'm interested again and would love to start making some new skins but I'm having a brain fart and can't figure out how to change the color of the clock and voltage bars...  The ClockIndicator.bmp and VoltageIdicator.bmp are just black in the decompiled default skin yet they show up blue and white in the actual application.  Is this changed in the header?  If so where at?

Thanks for any help.  

btw boogeyman are you just a penn state fan or are you affiliated with penn state? 

boogeyman
    Superclocked Member
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2014/05/13 14:51:32 (permalink)
    tdwhitebtw boogeyman are you just a penn state fan or are you affiliated with penn state?

HUGE FAN !

tdwhite
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2014/05/13 15:28:15 (permalink)
    Very cool, just wondering because I work there!  Any clue on my other question?  How to change the clock and voltage colors?  Also the performance graphs at the bottom?

Ok, found them, took some experimentation but I found them!
    post edited by tdwhite - 2014/05/13 17:38:30

boogeyman
    Superclocked Member
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2014/05/14 05:59:43 (permalink)
    I thought about giving skinning a go but I just lost my juices to do so.

Here is the developers instructions on how to go about it, I haven't dug deep into (yet).
    http://forums.guru3d.com/...316361&postcount=8

You work at University Park campus? It's about 1.5 hours from me.

WE ARE .....

tdwhite
    Re:How to skin Precision X 2014/05/15 19:14:34 (permalink)
    More questions for the pros.  

When making a new skin from scratch and ploting for placement of items, where do coords start; where is 0,0?  Bottom left, top left?  Also, when I want to plot an item, for example lets say the temp reading...  Is the coord for the top left corner of the item being plotted, bottom left etc?

Thanks for any help.

Oh, for boogyman, new sign going up on the outside of Beaver Stadium.  This was taken yesterday.  Hmm, maybe time for a Penn State skin!

td
    post edited by tdwhite - 2014/05/15 19:19:59

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile