EVGA

VMOD - GTS450/GTX550 VGPU and VMEM Volt Mod and OCP + Pics for GTX 560 VMEM an OCP

Author
blkhole
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 500
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2012/02/01 03:31:18 (permalink)
(V1 – More pics and notes will be added as people ask questions)

Well, after some late nights, a lot of tinkering in the garage, and a lot of whitepaper searching I have finally succeeded in pushing my GTS 450 and GTX 550 project cards to their theoretical limit without H20 or LN2...  I could go into great detail about how I thought I toasted the 450 in particular a few times trying to find the right points to jump from, but I have created some detailed pictures to save any future hardcore enthusiasts such pitfalls and hassles. 

Before I go any further though, let me give the standard disclaimer: 

THIS -WILL- VOID YOUR WARRANTY, IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL IN SETUP, APPLICATION, AND TUNING YOU -WILL- NUKE YOUR CARD AND POSSIBLY MORE; THESE MODS REQUIRE A FAIR AMOUNT OF ELECTRONICS KNOWLEDGE AND SOLDERING SKILLS.  I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY THIS YOURSELF.  DON’T TAKE ANYTHING THAT I WRITE HERE AS GOSPEL, YOU DON’T KNOW ME…  RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF AS WELL, MAYBE I’VE WRITTEN SOMETHING IN ERROR…  THIS IS ON YOU IF YOU DECIDE TO GO FORWARD…

Ok...  So some of you are asking, what's a VMOD?  Well in short it is a hardware modification that allows the user to tweak certain aspects of the card beyond the original defined limits of the manufacturer.  Typically this involves soldering points on the board to either join pathways, increase/decrease voltage, or create a resistance point to manipulate voltage or logic while in transfer.

Quick Glossary: 

VMEM = Memory Voltage - For the 450/550 cards the stock voltage is 1.56v, this mod allows for a theoretical 5v in it's current mode [Farthest I've been on air is 2.15v w/ heatsinks on the RAM]

VGPU = GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) Voltage - EVGA BIOS's max is 1.150v, edited BIOS's can go 1.212v, and this mod allows for a theoretical 1.6v [Farthest I've been on air is 1.26v and that's getting sketchy]

OCP = OverCurrent Protection - This circuit monitors voltage and resistance to ensure that temps do not become too high, this saves cards, but it begins to give a hassle at about ~1.138v after a short bit, and only becomes worse as you go higher

Variable Resistor/Potentiometer/Trimmer = (VR) Think of this as a knob for a faucet, it can allow or restrict the flow of electrons on a particular pathway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer)
Note:  These will have three pins, do not fret, just make sure that one of your solder points to the VR is on the center pin, then the other one that you choose (left or right) in this case is your ‘on’ side…  Turn the dial away from the soldered pin to reduce voltage, and turn the dial toward the soldered pin to increase it.

Required Items:

Soldering Iron - A 35w minimum with a fine tip

Thin Solder - I use silver solder myself, but any small rosin core will do
Small Gauge wiring - 26 gauge or higher I'd recommended

Variable Resistor/Potentiometer/Trimmers – 1x 50k and 1x 20k – I use linear trimmers but those can be dangerous, so if this is your first time I’d recommend the small blue 20 turn potentiometers (http://www.solarbotics.com/assets/images/rt20k/rt20k_pl.jpg)  Note:  These will have three pins, do not fret, just make sure that one of your solder points to the VR is on the center pin, then the other one that you choose (left or right) in this case is your ‘on’ side…  Turn the dial away from the soldered pin to reduce voltage, and turn the dial toward the soldered pin to increase it.

Nail Polish or Quick Dry Superglue - Small wires and small leads, when you set them it's best to stick them down, I use these two as they are non-conductive once they're dry and can be removed later if needed.

Hot Glue - To place your VR's and LP4 at the top or side of your cards board for voltage reading and real time voltage manipulation

LP4 (Molex) Female Connector - (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Molex_female_connector.jpg) This connector makes for a good point to path your voltage read points to for easy access.

Patience  and Common Sense - Most important...  This stuff takes time and practice, I'm still learning and screw things up...  Also, unless you’re making LN2 runs your card can’t do 1.5v VGPU and 5v VMEM, don’t be foolish…  Modding is like crack, it’s all fun until it’s all bad, so be thoughtful at each step... 

Mod:  Voltage Read Points - This is the most important mod you will do, we need to know what voltages we are pushing to the RAM and GPU; even if you're only doing the GPU mod you will need to do this as Precision, Afterburner, etc. only read from the BIOS and not from the actual sensor (i.e. I have my VGPU @ 1.26v and most softwares will just show whatever the default voltage is - don't trust software for this) – Refer to the attached pics, 450 card owners can follow either set of VMEM instructions, I just included the front side PCB option as that’s what I used.

Mod:  VMEM - The 450/550 cards use an Anpec APW7165A Voltage Controller IC (http://www.anpec.com.tw/ashx_prod_file.ashx?prod_id=347&file_path=20110426155913276.pdf&original_name=APW7165.pdf), to gain control of this controller we need to place a 20k variable resistor (VR) on the FB (Feedback Input) pin 6 of the controller and then place the other lead from the VR on to a ground, in this case pin 3 of the controller.  Now before you go soldering though make sure you know where you want to place your VR, for me I place mine on the top as if you look at my machine you’ll see I have some holes, but others may find the side more useful…  Decide your spot and gauge your wiring needs/distances, then cut your wires, solder them to the VR, then use a small dab of hot glue to keep the VR attached; once this is done then solder to your PCB…  Once you solder those two points in I would also put a small dab of super glue or nail polish on the points and a bit on the wire to pin it to the PCB…  You don’t want movement on the wires or they –will- come loose which sucks…  

To use this mod – Be sure to have your VR dialed away from the soldered side pin of the potentiometer before turning your machine on (read potentiometer note under definition or required items) or you will potentially smoke your RAM…  Once you’re sure that you’re ready go ahead and place the multimeter leads in the two LP4 holes that your VMEM voltage reads are pathed to; then turn the machine on and watch the multimeter, if anything higher than 1.6v comes up then turn your machine off immediately and check to make sure your VR is set correctly and try again…  Anything over 2v (unless planned for ahead of time) is dangerous territory…  So once you’re booted up and your voltages look good, you may begin to –slowly- turn the VR toward the soldered joint end of the VR and watch as the voltage on the RAM slowly increases…  NVidia 450/550 Cards typically use Samsung K4G10325FE-HC05 and Hynix H5GQ1H24AFR-T0C RAM, both are rated for 1.6v, but can be increased so long as they’re sufficiently cooled; I’m using small thin heatsinks and push 2.15v, although I’m not going –any- higher, and my results may not be your results…  Remember, it’s all good until it’s not, and you can do permanent damage, go slowly and don’t go past your comfort zone…  I’d try going to 1.62v, then open Precision or whatever SW you’re using to OC and begin pressing your Mclk’s up a bit higher and see where they land…  If you want more then go to 1.65v, etc…  I can’t stress enough, be careful, and touch your RAM to check it’s temperature, if it’s getting hot then back off; even if it’s working, if it’s hot to the touch then it may not be working by next week…  Always use common sense when modding…

Mod:  OCP Defeat – The precursor to doing the VGPU mod is to do the OCP Defeat mod as extra voltage will mean nothing if the OCP is going nuts throttling it back…  Same order of events for soldering take place as I’ve outlined in the VMEM mod, but in this case you’re going to use a 50k VR.  Once this is placed and soldered in be sure that your VR is set open (read potentiometer note under definition or required items), once you’re sure you’re ready then turn the machine on and load into your OC software of choice; what I would do is increase your voltage up as far as you can and then increase your VGPU just up to the point where you begin to freeze up and such (you know that limit)…  Go start Vantage or whatever benchmark tool you enjoy and then begin increasing the potentiometer, you will probably get some repeated crashes, but so long as they’re not temp related it’s ok; just increase the VR to half way or so and you’ll (more than likely) notice that you’re not crashing as much or possibly not at all…  This is good, so we can now lead into…

Mod:  VGPU – Before you do this, have you modded your BIOS already?  If not then I personally recommend that you try this first as this will allow you to go to to 1.212v without having to get into this final step…  Unless you’re good w/ the soldering iron this is where things can get tricky as you’ll be moving tiny surface mounts from one DIP to another (I could write an article as long as this one just on how to properly do this part alone), and even once you’re done unless your watercooled or LN2 bound you’ll probably only increase to about 1.25 or so at most…  It’s not a huge jump over 1.212v from a speed standpoint, and you’ll be risking a lot less if you’re not comfortable with these tiny solder points coming up…  Your call…

The 450/550 cards use ON Semiconductor NCP5395 Voltage/Timing controller (http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NCP5395-D.PDF).  This controller is neat in that it uses eight VID registers to calculate it’s voltages…  The method is pretty simple, use the PDF above and match the VID’s I have listed in the attached pics to find the voltage you wish to try…  The practice of this can be a bit harder as the surface mounts are quite small, but if you’re embarking on this then I’m assuming you have prior experience with this type of soldering…  Not much to say here other than be careful, and make sure you’re matching the registers correctly as it’s easy to read them backwards and end up with a different voltage then you anticipated (bad)…  So, to test I would place your multimeter in the two LP4 holes that you ran your VGPU voltage registers to, write down what you expect your voltage to be and turn the machine on; if you see anything higher than the voltage you expected then turn the machine off immediately and check your work then try again once your error is found…  Once you’re seeing the correct voltage and all is well, go into your OC software of choice and begin seeing what your new GPU Mhz. limits are…  Common sense should tell you that you need to pay –very- close attention to your temperatures; more voltage equals exponentially higher amounts of heat…  I’d recommend that you replace the stock TIM on the heatsink and ideally upgrade the heatsink all together before embarking on this journey, but again, up to you and results may vary…  If you’re finding that at the higher voltages your machine is freezing up a lot then be sure to play with the OCP defeat a bit to ensure that it’s just not OCP trying to stop you, but if OCP is completely defeated and you’re still freezing up then you need to go back a step or two in your voltages (enjoy more soldering – told you this part sucks) and see how that goes… Not all GPU’s are created equal, and some may find that even with the OCP defeat that you cannot stay stable at 1.212v…  Things happen, it’s not EVGA’s fault as the card works at stock clocks just fine, it’s how the cookie crunbles…

Well, this should be a good first draft of coverage; this will be a WIP as I’m sure there’s plenty I’m not thinking about, and I still would like to add more pics, but the most needed ones are here…  Feel free to ask questions or give me any additions you would like to see…  If you tried this and toasted your card let us know that too…  I won’t take any blame, but I also am fairly versed in how to play ‘sudden death round’ and find alternate paths to get things running again (I’ll make a separate post showing what my 450 card looks like up close – it’s UGLY at this point, but it’s been through hell and back to get this info so hopefully yours doesn’t have to).

Enjoy!!

Note:  My camera sucks for macro/up close shots, so I had to use stock photos and add in details; it's all the better as my cards are rosin caked at this point anyways...
post edited by blkhole - 2012/02/06 23:35:19

Attached Image(s)

Heatware Info: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=79249
EVGA Affiliate Code:  XE66EMX2N9

10 Replies Related Threads

blkhole
    iCX Member
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/06 03:35:42 (permalink)
    Wow, not many heavy modders/OC'ers?  Not written well enough?  Maybe the 450/550 just aren't popular cards?  I just did up a GTX 560 w/ VMEM and OCP defeat, is anyone interested in trying this themselves?  This is a lot of work to document, so unless people are interested I'm not going to take the time to post another big how-to for it...

blood4guts
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 419
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/06 07:16:28 (permalink)
    I know that there are a few HC enthusiasts, and I'm always impressed with people that mod their cards so they can OC better.

nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/06 07:52:51 (permalink)
    VERY well written article.  I think Vmods are my favorite type of overclock.  Anyone can find software to overclock, but the people who bust out a soldering iron and measure voltage are a special breed. 
    It can be terrifying at first, but once you become comfortable with a soldering iron, you will wonder why you haven't been doing them sooner.

Post your pics, I dont care how much rosin is on them..., a little acetone goes a long way ;)
    nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/06 21:02:27 (permalink)
    I was wondering when this would get a BR. 
    If only you took some pics?!
    blkhole
    iCX Member
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/06 21:28:19 (permalink)
    Posting up a few shortly, currently digging in a pile of old machines to build more folding zombies. 

blkhole
    iCX Member
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/06 23:30:45 (permalink)
    Here's some pics of the 450 and 560, the 550 is already on it's way to someone (which is what funded the 560) so no good pics of it; all I've done to the 560 so far is VMEM and OCP Defeat, I do have the pins mapped out for VGPU and OVP (I'm pretty sure...  Not sure enough to publish them w/o testing first, but pretty sure), I just haven't done them yet as I am nowhere near exceeding either threshold until I can get better GPU cooling; the 560 runs exponentially hotter than the 450/550 units and I don't have anything in my box of HS and Fan crap that will aid me for this particular card currently...  As it stands I can push 1040 Core / 2450 Mclk stable @ 1.1v, but anything over that and the heat just starts coming too hard and heavy to keep under control...  The drag is I just need a good waterblock or similar as I have an air conditioner sitting in the garage just waiting to either become a phase change or glycol/sub zero cooler, and I have pumps as such already as well because I also run fish aquariums, but I have nothing to tether any of it to a computer yet.  I'm a patient man though, and also not short of projects, so I'll just keep this stuff around until the situation presents itself. 

Attached Image(s)

nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/07 03:59:29 (permalink)
    2 things... WOW, that brown resister looks OLD SKEWL.  I haven't seen one of those working in a functioning anything in like 15 years!

2nd, I think your AC is PERFECT for a chiller.  Fins are nice and clean.  Some alarm in my head is going off saying that it needs to be stored laying down as it would in a window.  Something to do with the oil in the compressor or something.  I just know its not good standing up them up like that.  Hopefully someone can weigh in on that with why that is so.
    blkhole
    iCX Member
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/07 10:36:04 (permalink)
    oh, well crap, I'll turn it on it's side then; probably the seals in the compressor or something...  Good call, thx! 

Heh, and yeah, when I dialed things in @ 4.8k I went to look through my pile and all I had was that (OG +/- .5% swing), so we'll just say I decided to go retro/steampunk w/ it. 
    post edited by blkhole - 2012/02/07 10:39:22

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5183
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/07 12:57:07 (permalink)
    +1 on what nateman said about the chiller unit. you need to keep it in the designed orientation for the oil. You put it the wrong way and the compressor will runout of oil and self destruct or get choked with oil and not cool properly. 

blkhole
    iCX Member
    Re:VMOD - GTS 450 / GTX 550 VGPU and VMEM Voltage Modification and OCP Defeat 2012/02/07 17:32:05 (permalink)
    I placed it back on it's correct end, thx for the heads up (seems like common sense now that it's pointed out). 

Luckily I'm not using it anytime too soon so the oil should settle back...

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile