EVGA

GUIDE: How to sleeve your powersupply power cable.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lutro0
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 115
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2011/12/30 14:45:27 (permalink)
This guide is not by any means the definitive guide and/or the only way to go about sleeving your PSU cord, but is by far the one of the easiest ways to go about it.

!!! A word of warning, your are sleeving a POWER cord, so please if you are not confident that you will hook it back up properly then do not attempt it. Also, please take the proper safety precautions. !!!

This is a two part guide. The first part I will show you how to sleeve your cable using an IEC Connector. In the second part I will show you how to sleeve your cable and keep the original plugs.

-Part 1 : IEC Connector Guide-

This part will be the guide on how to sleeve your PSU power cable using IEC connectors found many places, but can be found cheaply on ebay. (search for IEC connector)

You will need a few things to get your sleeving project done.

1. PSU Power Cord
2. Scissors
3. IEC Connectors
4. Sleeveing of your choice and heatshrink (preferably 3:1)
Please note that the sleeving will need to be a little bigger than the diameter of the psu cord your are using, as well as the heatshrink needs to be slightly bigger than your psu cord with the sleeving on it. (I used 1/8th Clean Cut and 1/8th PET with 1/4th 3:1 adhesive lined heatshrink and 1/8th 4:1 adhesive lined heatshrink for the inner wires)
5. Lighter/ Heat Source for heatshrink.
6. Electrical Tape/Masking
7. Optional exacto-knife

Lets get started.

Here are my connectors, you may find them at this link. These are just the ones I used for this project and I am not affiliated with this ebay seller in any way:
P-037 Rhodium-plated US Power Plug &C-037 IEC Connector -  cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300448783428
You will notice that these will be very sturdy as they have screws clamping everything down in multiple places, they even come with a add on piece of plastic that allows you to use smaller guage cord and keep it secure.

You will want to take them apart by the two securing screws, and you will notice they are well built. And they look cool too!

And here is our victim…erm I mean cord.

Simply cut the ends with a scissors.

Like so.

Now you will want to strip down the ends about an inch, and then the ends of the wires just a bit.

Now we will start the sleeving process. It is always best to tape the end you will be putting the sleeve on as it will catch on the wires. Remember to measure your sleeving with the fact that it might shrink some as the actual length will shrink due to the sleeving being expanded.

I used clean cut sleeving but the choice is endless, if it fits over the wire your golden. I melted the ends just a tad to make sure it didn’t fray like crazy when I put it on the cord.

See! No fray!

This isn’t really a step, but I almost double sleeved the cord for a blue black effect but decided against it.

Go ahead and put the back of the plug on and a small amount of heatshrink, we will use this to seal up the cord end for the sleeving, this might not be needed but it adds a nice effect because of the clear casing.

Cut up small pieces of heatshrink, small enough to cover just the exposed individual cables but not the exposed wire. (again this is for looks only and is not really needed)

Shrink them on, if you look close twards the middle of the wires you will still be able to tell what color the wires are.

At this point I made a diagram of where the wires went, the key here is to make sure that what ever color wire you put on one side has to be the same color in the same spot on the opposite end!

Go ahead and put the wires in and make sure they are screwed tight!

Shrink up the exposed area of color on the wires and your sleeving at the same time. Nice and clean!

Put it all together and this is where you get to notice those little details that cleaned up the plug, if we would have left the colored wires they would have shown through.

Go ahead and follow the steps for the opposite side, please make sure to tighten all screws including the ones at the base of the bottom of the plug, that will make sure you can’t pull your plug out of the end.

Here is another possible combo by lovesan.

And there you have it the final project, the color combos are endless. This is a cheap and easy mod anyone can do. And it will add a nice touch to any computer.

-Part 2 : Keeping the OEM Connector-

You will need a few things to get your sleeving project done.

1. PSU Power Cord
2. Scissors
3. Soldering Iron & Solder
4. Sleeveing of your choice and heatshrink (preferably 3:1)
Please note that the sleeving will need to be a little bigger than the diameter of the psu cord your are using, as well as the heatshrink needs to be slightly bigger than your psu cord with the sleeving on it. (I used 1/8th Clean Cut and 1/8th PET with 1/4th 3:1 adhesive lined heatshrink and 1/8th 4:1 adhesive lined heatshrink for the inner wires)
5. Lighter/ Heat Source for heatshrink.
6. Electrical Tape
7. Optional exacto-knife

We will start with your standard PSU power cable.

Measure out the sleeving to the cord from one end (where the plug starts and the cord ends) to the other end and set the peice of sleeving aside.

Make the first cut about 5 inches up from the plug that goes into the wall.

Using your scissors in a circular motion very softly and carefully cut the outer layer, let the scissors do the cutting for you. When you notice you are through the outer layer stop.

Make the second cut about 4 more inches down in the same fashion.

Using either an exacto-knife or the tip of the scissors cut a slit down the outer layer of the cord until you can pull on it and split it down to your other cut.

Cut your wires in a staggering pattern.

Like so:

----/------------------
-----------/-----------
-------------------/---

Take the piece of sleeving we measured out earlier and put it on the longer side of the cord and push it back until its about an inch out of the way and then tape it with the electrical tape so it doesn't move.

Slide on your two pieces of heatshrink.

I prefer to shrink the opposite end just to have it done with, but this step can be done at the end as well.

Twist your wires together making sure to put a piece of heatshrink on beforehand.

Solder each wire.

Shrink the heatshrink and give the wire a slight twist to bunch them together like so.

While they are twisted tape it tightly with electrical tape, being carefull not to use too much so we don't make a huge bump in the cord. -another good idea would be to put some more heatshrink over it instead of tape as it will turn out more uniform.-

Pull the electrical tape off the sleeving and push it all the way to the end of the plug tightly (where the cord ends and the plug starts) and shrink the heatshrink.

Enjoy your cord.

Pet works great as well but I would put a black sleeve underneath for a cleaner look.

I hope this has helped those that were curious how this was done. I am sure there are many methods to get to the same goal. So if there is any suggestions please speak up and I will add them to the OP.

Thanks for your time.
post edited by lutro0 - 2012/01/03 20:58:50

_.-[The right manner of growth is to grow less in one's own eyes.]-._

47 Replies Related Threads

Little Sister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6072
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:08:55 (permalink)

INTEL I7 2600K  -  CORSAIR H100  -  EVGA Z68 FTW  -  CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2000MHZ 16GB  -  EVGA GTX 580 3GB SLI X3 
    WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB X2  -  CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB X2  -  PLEXTOR BLU-RAY BURNER  -  CORSAIR AX1200
    ENERMAX FULMO GT  -  WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64 

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:14:52 (permalink)
    Little Sister

Thanks!

Little Sister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:18:17 (permalink)
    lutro0

Little Sister

Thanks!

no thank you, great guides and i think you have many more. look forward to seeing them :)

INTEL I7 2600K  -  CORSAIR H100  -  EVGA Z68 FTW  -  CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2000MHZ 16GB  -  EVGA GTX 580 3GB SLI X3 
    WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB X2  -  CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB X2  -  PLEXTOR BLU-RAY BURNER  -  CORSAIR AX1200

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:22:06 (permalink)
    I do! >.< I will have to find the time to port them. Between making customs extensions & tutorial videos and pastoring the free time tends to get kinda low. 

stereoactivo
    • Total Posts : 61
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:22:11 (permalink)
    NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE TUTORIAL!!! 
    Little Sister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:23:08 (permalink)
    lutro0

I do! >.< I will have to find the time to port them. Between making customs extensions & tutorial videos and pastoring the free time tends to get kinda low. 

you could always send some exstentions my way to test for a few years :)  jk

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:23:24 (permalink)
    stereoactivo
    NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE TUTORIAL!!! 

Thanks bud. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Little Sister 

you could always send some exstentions my way to test for a few years :)  jk 

LOL, they really dont need any testing persay haha 

EliteGeek91
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10662
    • Ribbons : 44
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:26:38 (permalink)
    Sweet. I just got the same idea. I sleeved my PSU cable. And sleeved 5ft of ALL my cables. Which are my mouse, keyboard, monitor, ethernet, and all. Haha. So now the few feet that you see plugged into the rig, is ALL sleeved, SO freaking sexy I must say!

Little Sister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:27:48 (permalink)

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 15:29:52 (permalink)
    EliteGeek91

Sweet. I just got the same idea. I sleeved my PSU cable. And sleeved 5ft of ALL my cables. Which are my mouse, keyboard, monitor, ethernet, and all. Haha. So now the few feet that you see plugged into the rig, is ALL sleeved, SO freaking sexy I must say!

Haha, I havent gone that crazy with it - which is weird considering how much sleeving I have done haha. 
    I make sure to get all the cables in my mods and of course will all the extensions I make but I haven't sleeved any head phones or such. Nice enough though my ABS keyboard came sleeved. 

EliteGeek91
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 16:15:55 (permalink)
    Haha nice, nice. Yeah I fully sleeved my Apple headphones. I even removed the actualy ear buds by heating the solder, then sleeving everything. And re-soldering the wires to the ear-buds, and then the next day my friend's dog chewed them up. I wanted to kill the dog lol. But yeah I sleeved my iPhone usb cable, and much more. It's addicting like you said! Just gotta be precise, and have tons of patience lol.

HeThing
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6897
    • Ribbons : 42
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 16:32:10 (permalink)
    What a nice guide!

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 16:34:57 (permalink)
    EliteGeek91

Haha nice, nice. Yeah I fully sleeved my Apple headphones. I even removed the actualy ear buds by heating the solder, then sleeving everything. And re-soldering the wires to the ear-buds, and then the next day my friend's dog chewed them up. I wanted to kill the dog lol. But yeah I sleeved my iPhone usb cable, and much more. It's addicting like you said! Just gotta be precise, and have tons of patience lol.

Hahah I Just realized your sig picture sleeveing is an reverse of my first extension I did a while ago.

HeThing 

What a nice guide! 

Thanks bud!
    post edited by lutro0 - 2011/12/30 16:37:17

EliteGeek91
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 16:36:52 (permalink)
    Haha! Very sweet. Yeah my images got blurry cuz I suck at making sigs, but someone on here is kind enough to be helping me make one right now. 

But yeah that was for a member on here recently. I've never though of it. But he wanted 1 black, 3 red, 1 black, 2 red, 1 black, 1 red, 3 black. Pretty cool I must say.

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 16:40:45 (permalink)
    EliteGeek91

Haha! Very sweet. Yeah my images got blurry cuz I suck at making sigs, but someone on here is kind enough to be helping me make one right now. 

But yeah that was for a member on here recently. I've never though of it. But he wanted 1 black, 3 red, 1 black, 2 red, 1 black, 1 red, 3 black. Pretty cool I must say.

I hear ya, camera work was a bit to learn but once I got it down for the most part you can have fun making stuff like this:

Most important thing is lighting, if you can get that down most pics will look phenom
    post edited by lutro0 - 2011/12/30 16:47:12

z3r0t0l0rence
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9599
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 22:03:35 (permalink)
    Nice write up.

i7 930 OC 4.21 
    EVGA E758 
    GSkill 12GB
    Evga GTX 780 SC
    2x Kingston 240 Raid 0
    2x Seagate 4TB

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/30 22:14:43 (permalink)
    z3r0t0l0rence

Nice write up.

Thanks! 

The_Pyromancer
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/31 01:31:57 (permalink)
    This is a brilliant guide. Now, I only need to find IEC connectors that have the Australian plug on them. In that orange/red IEC pic, have the three wires been separately shielded and braided? That's really awesome.
    HeThing
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6897
    • Ribbons : 42
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/31 02:11:53 (permalink)
    Awesome guide!

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/31 06:33:45 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I found the cheapest place to find the connectors to be ebay, but they can be found on other places as well.
    The braided ones has shielded cables under each of them he just split them apart and then sleeved each on individually.

blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/31 06:57:26 (permalink)
    Wow, fantastic power cord!

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2011/12/31 07:38:39 (permalink)
    blacksapphire08

Wow, fantastic power cord!

Thanks bud, its really easy to do and really doesn't cost much. Its a great touch for a mod.
    I originally did it for my first mod, the Katharos Mod. LINK
    But in my typical log style I made it into a guide as well.

The_Pyromancer
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2012/01/01 00:30:26 (permalink)
    Could you give me a gauge estimate of the individual wires in the cable? I might try making my own PSU cable from scratch.
    Also, in that picture of the rainbow 24-pin mobo extension, how did you make it without heatshrink?
    Dedaciai
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2012/01/01 05:58:52 (permalink)
    +1, Lutro0!  

I have seen your sleeving videos on Youtube and I will definitely be referencing them as I start my first sleeving project. 

Intel Core 4770K @4.25GHz
    Asus Maximus VI Impact    
    Crucial MX200 M.2 SSD 512GB
    EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
    Corsair Vengance PRO RAM 16GB @ 2400MHz
    DAN CASE A4
    ThermoCool Copper CPU Cooler
    Corsair SF600 Watt PSU

lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2012/01/01 06:34:58 (permalink)
    Dedaciai

+1, Lutro0!  

I have seen your sleeving videos on Youtube and I will definitely be referencing them as I start my first sleeving project. 

Thanks man! If you have any questions please let me know!
    I have also posted my sleeving videos over here for your guys to ask questions and such!

The_Pyromancer

Could you give me a gauge estimate of the individual wires in the cable? I might try making my own PSU cable from scratch.
    Also, in that picture of the rainbow 24-pin mobo extension, how did you make it without heatshrink?

phew, I will have to do some looking and asking, as I would not be comfortable just throwing out a gauge, But I would guess it would be your thicker range (higher 10 and up) with a thicker coating to give it a large voltage handling. But I'm not a electrician.
    And the 24pin I posted is an example of the extensions I sell, so I don't share my method for doing them, as it took me a little while to perfect them. Once I am done selling them however I will be doing a video and sharing how to make them.

Norton850
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2012/01/01 18:53:44 (permalink)
    Just when I thought "self!" "it's time to build a new Rig". I'll just use an old case and keep it simple, well how can I when you post all this cool stuff. By the time I'm finished may hardware will be obsolete1
    lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2012/01/03 13:41:37 (permalink)
    ngkplugs@yahoo.com

Just when I thought "self!" "it's time to build a new Rig". I'll just use an old case and keep it simple, well how can I when you post all this cool stuff. By the time I'm finished may hardware will be obsolete1

Go ahead and check out my extensions, that might be a better option for you if you are low on time!

But I would never want to discourage a person from trying it themselves as its a blast!

diegorubeus
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2962
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2012/01/03 19:27:19 (permalink)
    awesome!!!
    i was going to do it but my cable is not even visible so why sleev it when nobody is gonna see it.

-INTEL CORE i7 930 D0 @ 4.00 GHZ LINX STABLE      -WD CAVIAR BLUE 320GB (MEDIA)
    -EVGA X58 SLI LE MOTHERBOARD (E757)                  -LG GH22NS40 DVD MULTI BURNER
    -CORSAIR H50 WC KIT IN PUSH-PULL CONFIG          -ACER S231HLbid 23" LED 1080P 
    -EVGA GTX 580 SUPERCLOCKED W/BACKPLATE 
    -CORSAIR HX1050 PRO SERIES PSU 
    -CORSAIR VENGEANCE 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ 
    -THERMALTAKE ELEMENT S CASE
    -CRUCIAL M4 128GB SSD (OS,GAMES)
    lutro0
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GUIDE: How to sleeve you powersupply power cable. 2012/01/03 20:54:34 (permalink)
    diegorubeus

awesome!!!
    i was going to do it but my cable is not even visible so why sleev it when nobody is gonna see it.

Yea its one of those things that if you do it, its a showcase thing. And most people that sleeve find out that they get a knack for sleeving everything they can. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile