EVGA

Buzzing/clicking noise, or other problems, with Corsair H70 (etc) systems? Check here!

Author
xanderf
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2068
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 36
2011/12/14 18:11:37 (permalink)
My problem
Posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd add some more details...

So, I'd installed a Corsair H70 a while back, and was doing alright with it, but wanted to improve performance some. I had the included radiator mounted in the back of my case, with my case's standard rear fan blowing through it (it's an Antec 300, so one of the Antec three-speed fans). I wasn't really happy with how well it cooled set to 'Medium' fan speed, and 'Fast' cooled well...but was annoyingly loud.

So I did research on this. Positioning of fans on the radiator, fan brands, etc. Ultimately settled on a pair of Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fans as the right balance of performance and volume, mounted on either side of the radiator in a push/pull configuration. (Note that I *am* still using them to exhaust...which I realize is less than ideal as far as the radiator is concerned, but I didn't really want to heat up the rest of my case. And, in any case, the rear fan port doesn't have a filter on it, while all of my other intakes do.)

However, upon putting everything back together...temps didn't really improve. And the Corsair pump had picked up an ANNOYING buzzing or clicking sound. It sounded for all the world like a fan wire being hit by one of the fan blades or something (or playing card in bicycle spokes). Did a quick Google search on that, and HOLY CRAP THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE GETTING THAT.

I even found a Youtube video of someone experiencing it on an H50. Mine sounded just like in that video, but louder - easily audible over the fans. So I was, like, ****?  Bad pump?  I checked the mobo header the pump was plugged into...temp throttling was disabled, it was at full power... Walking through all the things changed, I finally hit on the problem...

My old exhaust fan had been mounted to the case...and as a 4-pin molex adapter, I'd just left it plugged into one of those 4-pin molex connectors directly off the power supply. On the other hand, the newer fans I had just added were both 3-pin, so...I plugged those fans into the fan controllers on the Corsair pump.  Thinking it might be nice to...I dunno, have the cooling system manage the fan speeds or something.  However, since that WAS a change, I decided to undo it...

So I unplugged the new 120mm case fans from the 2x fan headers that came out of the pump/block, and plugged the fans back into the mobo (as seen above).

NO MORE BUZZING from the pump!

Not only that, but the CPU temps have dropped about 7C! Mind-blowing is what it is. I guess splitting the power from the pump to the Scythe fans was just too much for the whole thing.

So my suggestion would be - if you are having problems with the H70, or other Corsair integrated watercooling system, and have fans plugged into the device in any way...REMOVE THEM.  Plug them directly into your motherboard!  Or 4-pin molex connections straight out of your PSU!  Or something...but not the pump!

tl;dr => Unplug the fans from the pump module, noises solved, temp drops.

Other problems
Reading around, there have been some others experiencing problems with noises on some Corsair blocks.

Given my above experience, and some of the solutions others have posted (plug the Corsair block into the motherboard CPU fan header, and using the BIOS to set fan speeds to something other than 100%), my thinking is that running a pump off the motherboard is a tricky idea.  Maybe it will work for you right out, and you'll have no problems.

But if you do have any...poorer performance than you'd like, annoying noise, etc...don't give up!  Just try different configurations of powering the pump.  If removing the fans from the pump header had not, on its own, resolved my issue I was going to next use the 4-pin-molex to 3-pin-fan-header adapter my fans came with to run the pump block directly off the power supply.  I expect that would also have resolved the issue.

The long-and-short of it is...the kit is worth tinkering with to get working.  Performance is good, it's very quiet, and it's super easy to set up.  A bit of tinkering - especially with the power the pump gets - and it seems most problems are solvable.

1 Reply Related Threads

xanderf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2068
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 36
    Re:Buzzing/clicking noise, or other problems, with Corsair H70 (etc) systems? Check here! 2012/02/14 22:58:29 (permalink)
    Reading another post on another forum made me think of this original note I'd made, and I wanted to make sure (if I do link back to this at some point) to note one more discovery...

...by default, many software fan controller setups will set the CPU fan (the motherboard header running the CPU fan, anyway) to be 'auto' controlled.  IE., the RPM on that fan ramped up or down based on the CPU temperature.

Now, since the Corsair pump is running a three-pin adapter (even when plugged into the motherboard) instead of a pulse modulation-controlled four-pin adapter, most of this control in the BIOS works very minimally on them.  However, software packages that attempt to control that speed by adjusting the fan voltage can still definitely have impact on it...and some motherboard BIOSes can do that, too.

And it does seem to make SOME difference.  At least, on an Asus P8Z68, I found more stable reported RPMs on the pump (as well as reduced pump noise and better temps) disabling the automatic fan control, manually setting it to max in the BIOS, and making sure I wasn't running any fan control software.

Honestly, at the moment, if I wasn't concerned with 'cable management', I suspect I would just run the Corsair pump off a 4-pin-molex to 3-pin-fan-header adapter straight off my PSU, rather than using the motherboard at all!

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile