WCG F.A.Q.'s

Author
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 110
2011/11/16 20:07:01 (permalink)
Please feel free to add to this list. As the first 24 hours has just passed by, we went from a team without the WCG in our ranks to having it not only in our ranks, but 26 members joined up in the first 24 hours!

Thank you!

On to the faq's...

• It is critical to sign up with WCG before installing anything. As the program uses your "Defined"/"Chosen" settings to initially setup up and continue to change each system you install this on.
  • Instructions can be found here (Link)
  • And more specifically, WCG allows you to have anywhere from full control of the workloads to just turn it all on and let the computer do all of the causes you select in it's own order/load. This is in the link above, but specifically (Link).
  • It is important if you want to be a part of team WCG@EVGA to go here (Link) while logged into your user name on WCG and click the Blue/green button that says "Join this team".
  • Common Mistakes
    • Computer clock - Make sure your OS has the correct time and date. BOINC uses the computer clock to determine whether your work units have passed the designated deadline. If, for example, your clock is off by a year, BOINC will think all your WU's are no longer valid because they missed the deadline.
    • Web-based settings - If you wish to use the settings on your My Grid page, on the BOINC manager, go to Advanced, then Preferences. In the upper right-hand corner, hit Clear. BOINC will then use your web-based settings.
    • Deleting work units - Some people will delete work units they don't want to run. When you delete a WU, it's considered an error by WCG. And when you submit a lot of work units with errors, you get penalized. Your daily quota of WU's will be less, until BOINC/WCG has determined you've stabilized the problem.
  • Sig's... (Small DC Version) and (WCG Version) and (The latest version
  • WCG/BOINC only update once every 12 hours. During the first week of any kinds of changes that you make, it can take three days to at the most a week for your AVG's to show true production. So be patient!
  • WCG and BOINC total points differently. You will always see two different numbers...
    • BOINC is the true number (Link) and WCG takes that number and multiplies it (Not 100% accurate here but close) by Seven...
    • So for an example... Say your BOINC numbers are 14,805 x 7 equals 103,635 and that would be seen in the WCG calculations, not the 14,805. So in this case BOINC is 14,805 ans WCG is 103,635...
    • Keep this in mind when choosing a sig and when comparing your equipments production to another...
  • BOINC uses a validation process. The same work unit must be processed error-free by at least two different computers (hosts) before credit is awarded. The validation process can take anywhere from a day to a week. So when you install BOINC you will probably notice that you weren't awarded many points the first couple of days. This is normal.
  • Each (What I call them) Unit we Crunch is a part of many. One core on your CPU will Crunch one part, while another core can be crunching another unit for another cause. This is not like SMP's where all cores go to one unit. So an Intel i7 920 with HT on will Crunch on the four cores and the four "Virtual" cores for a total of eight cores Crunching eight different units at a time (If so desired).
  • Many if not all that we process in a day are verified (And part of the reason for points delays or losses later on)(Link here for more details). And if there are any issue they will show up in your WCG log in
    • Highlight "My Grid" (Top middle tab)
    • Click "My Stats" (Drop down under My Grid)
    • "Results Status" (Left sidebar)(Link*Need to be logged in to see that*)
    • It is important to check that about once a week. Hate to have folks working so hard only to learn they have an issue they could have avoided...
  •   Each install (One per computer) can be customized for the user on each computer. This is a great tool as many have different computing needs, yet want to contribute. Say on person has a laptop and only want it to work on one cause for three hours a day, and another to work on many different causes for four hours a day. No problem! Can be done by customizing each install (Devise Manager) (Post on it can be found HERE)
  • And I am linking us to WCG's FAQ page... Be careful... It is the size of a library!!! (Link)
More to come!

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile