EVGA

Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560

Author
Pachi3000
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2011/11/15 18:42:09 (permalink)
Hello all.  I wasn't sure exactly where to post about this because I'm not sure exactly what component in my system is causing this problem. Based on my issue if you think this belongs in a different forum, please let me know. I just installed Saints Row the Third today, and to my frustration, I found that as soon as the cutscenes and gameplay start, the screen becomes filled with constant scan lines in the background.  I don't have a photo at the moment (I will get one as soon as I can - if I take a screenshot through Steam it doesn't appear, but I will use a camera) but it's exactly like what is being described in this thread from the Steam forums: .  Basically, I see horizontal scan lines constantly moving vertically in the background.  The graphics aren't torn or distorted in any way - it's like a filter is placed over the graphics of half-transparent scan lines.  For what it's worth, I've had this issue to a degree in Source games like TF2, but only in a tiny portion on top of the screen - never visible on the entire screen.  This never happens on my desktop or when browsing the internet or playing dvds or in my lower end games - I only noticed it in a big way today when starting up SR3.  And it wasn't like the graphics card got hotter and hotter and then the problem occurred - the moment the opening cutscene kicked in after starting a new game, the lines were there.

Before I say what I did to try and pinpoint the issue, these are my computer's specs.  Keep in mind that everything in my rig is brand new, only a couple weeks old - I got them in a custom pre-build from Cyberpower.  The only thing I'm using that isn't new is my monitor, which is a year old.

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40 Ghz
Memory: 8192 MB RAM
Power Supply: Corsair TX 850
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti, 4065 MB Memory
Driver Version: NVIDIA 275.33
Monitor: HP 2010i, 1600x900 rez

I've had great difficulty figuring out what the cause of this problem is.  The first thing I did was lower the graphical presets inside the Saints Row 3 menu.  When I initially saw the issue, I was at the highest setting possible on all ends.  I tried it on every other setting available.  Even at the lowest setting possible, the lines weren't as OBVIOUS, but I could still see them.  And I know for a fact that the problem I am having is not vertical sync issues - I have made sure every single test that vertical sync was turned on.  I also wasn't using any kind of graphical enhancements through Nvidia Control Panel or any other such program.  Then I tried using a different monitor and a different cable, the ones I had used for an older rig.  The test monitor I used was a Hanns-G JW197D, resolution 1440x900.  Again, the scan lines weren't as obvious on this setup, but I could still see them.  (I'd much rather get rid of the problem rather than attempt to hide the problem).  Then I tried, on my current monitor, switching to the most recent drivers.  I've been using the 275.33 drivers as of late because so far every 28x.xx release has triggered an idle TDR bug that apparently a lot of NVIDIA driver users are getting and has yet to be solved by Nvidia.  But I tried the most recent 285.62 WHQL drivers anyway, and the scan lines were just as visible as before. 

Finally, I tried outright using a different graphics card.  To be fair, I'm not sure if this was the best graphics card to test with, as it's had its own share of problems in the past, but it's all I had to test.  The older card was a GTX 560 SSC.  I had stopped using it because there was some odd compatibility issue with my old computer in which one of the fans would randomly spin up and down without any correlation to heat or activity.  But I didn't get rid of it bc it's still a good, albeit loud, card otherwise.  Trying this card in my newer rig, the scanlines yet again appeared, at the exact same consistency as with the 560 Ti.  So, either both cards have the exact same problem, or the card isn't to blame.  That's the most recent thing I've tried this evening.

But, at this point, I don't know WHAT to blame.  I've tried different graphics cards, different cables, different monitors, different drivers, and different graphical settings, and none of them worked beyond making the scan lines a little less visible.  Granted, I only tried one substitute of each, but it seems unlikely or rather unlucky that none of these methods would help reveal the culprit.  Do you all have any advice?  Do you think I should RMA the card to Cyberpower and hope a new one solves the issue?  Or is there any other thing I might be able to check that could be causing the issue? Or is there something I might have missed based on what I already tried?  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  As it is, I could still play the game no problem - but I have very good eyesight and the scanlines would annoy me to no end.  I will definitely get a picture of the problem as soon as possible.

EDIT: Additional info - no overclocking is being done on either of the 560's used to test this.  Both were at stock settings.

EDIT:  Hm, I guess I can't post links?  Sorry, I wasn't aware.  But, this line from the post I linked describes well what my issue is:

"It's definitely not screen tearing. The image itself remains unaltered and there's no break in the image. The lines themselves are not solid and cause no actual image distortion. It looks something like , the top image. However this is a much more extreme case than I have as the picture is of a deliberate effect.
Also it seems to happen more during a darker scene. So if I'm running around during a bright scene their could be no lines what so ever. The darker it get the more prominent the lines become."
post edited by Pachi3000 - 2011/11/15 18:46:42

11 Replies Related Threads

Pachi3000
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/16 06:44:56 (permalink)
    I've had a possible "aha" moment with this situation.  I just realized this morning that all this time i have been using a VGA cable with a DVI adapter for my graphics card.  I know it seems kind of stupid to "realize" this, but it was something I never really thought about.  This is the same VGA cable I have been using for at least 3-4 years - I've never used an actual DVI cable.  When I tested a different cable on a different monitor, that cable was also a VGA with a DVI adapter.  So now I'm wondering if using a full dual link DVI cable will give me a better signal and give a better picture in those high-end gaming moments.  I'm not sure if maybe my VGA cable is just old and not working as well as it used to or if it just can't handle what my new high end system is sending it at full GPU load (I feel like i notice the issue more in games like Saints Row 3 because it practically maxes out my GPU usage), but I feel this is worth a shot to try as I've eliminated every other possibility. I did a search for "scan lines on lcd monitor" and a lot of proposed solutions were switching from a VGA to a DVI connection.  So I have just ordered one off Newegg and will post the results here once it arrives and i test it out.

I feel kind of silly - that cable was the one thing I've never upgraded along with everything else in my system.  It seems rather easy to assume that a simple cable isn't important, but I guess it really can be with computers.
    post edited by Pachi3000 - 2011/11/16 06:48:38
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/16 11:57:57 (permalink)
    Pachi3000

I've had a possible "aha" moment with this situation.  I just realized this morning that all this time i have been using a VGA cable with a DVI adapter for my graphics card.  I know it seems kind of stupid to "realize" this, but it was something I never really thought about.  This is the same VGA cable I have been using for at least 3-4 years - I've never used an actual DVI cable.  When I tested a different cable on a different monitor, that cable was also a VGA with a DVI adapter.  So now I'm wondering if using a full dual link DVI cable will give me a better signal and give a better picture in those high-end gaming moments.  I'm not sure if maybe my VGA cable is just old and not working as well as it used to or if it just can't handle what my new high end system is sending it at full GPU load (I feel like i notice the issue more in games like Saints Row 3 because it practically maxes out my GPU usage), but I feel this is worth a shot to try as I've eliminated every other possibility. I did a search for "scan lines on lcd monitor" and a lot of proposed solutions were switching from a VGA to a DVI connection.  So I have just ordered one off Newegg and will post the results here once it arrives and i test it out.

I feel kind of silly - that cable was the one thing I've never upgraded along with everything else in my system.  It seems rather easy to assume that a simple cable isn't important, but I guess it really can be with computers.

Possible... that does sound like you're getting interference or perhaps a phase shift in the signal. VGA is analog and what you're describing is not usual. especially at higher resolutions. Another indication is that it doesn't show up on screen shots. Meaning it's not in the output of the card but somewhere from the output to the display.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Pachi3000
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/16 12:02:44 (permalink)
    What I'm describing is not unusual, you mean?  In any case, it's reassuring to get some agreement on my assessment so far.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/16 12:11:52 (permalink)
    Pachi3000

What I'm describing is not unusual, you mean?  In any case, it's reassuring to get some agreement on my assessment so far.

Not unusual. That isn't to say that is what it is, but your description fits the symptoms. According to the spec sheet on your monitor, you can also use HDMI.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Pachi3000
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/18 05:09:30 (permalink)
    Slight update on this.  I haven't received the DVI-D cable I ordered yet, but I have pinpointed what causes the scan lines to appear.  Not what component is causing them to appear, but what actions make them appear.  I tested in a couple other games with v-sync turned off so that I would get higher gpu usage in other games, and the scan lines would appear only at high gpu loads.  I think it has to be at least 40-50% load for them to appear at all.  I tested in Minecraft with v-sync turned off.  In Power Saver mode, the lines didn't appear at 10- gpu loads, but in Balanced and Max FPS, it was there constantly.  So I've confirmed that it wasn't just Saints Row 3 with the problem.

At first, this sounds like a problem with the graphics card.  But maybe not, since when I tested with my other card in the same system, the lines appeared just as strongly.  I'm still hopeful that the problem is cable interference that just gets worse when the gpu is demanding the monitor to show more, but I have a couple other tests in mind if the DVI-D cable doesn't work that should reveal the culprit.
    kal1se
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/22 07:28:20 (permalink)
    Hi Pachi

I think I have the same problem! Few days ago I bought a Zotac GTX 560 1gb and at first it worked properly, but when Im playing a game, I can see the same scanlines type you have described... Curiously this only happens while Im playing new games like Battlefield 3.. but playing Counter Strike 1.6 there's no problem.. I have tried with old drivers, changing refresh rate, disabling Vsync but scanlines doesn't dissapear. I have a VGA monitor with a VGA/DVI adapter. My previous graphic card was a Gainward 8800GT, this card uses the same adapter and it worked properly. In other forums i have read that the monitors refresh rate could be the problem, but I dont think so. I wish we will find a solution for this problem, I will try with other monitor, directly connecting with a DVI cable. If you find a solution, please write it in the forum. Good luck! 
    Pachi3000
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/22 08:27:46 (permalink)
    Still waiting on my DVI cable to come in the mail before I can do my test.  I feel pretty confident at this point that the problem is due to one of three things: the monitor, the graphics card, or the connection between the two.  Let's hope it's the connection because that's the cheapest solution, haha.  If that doesn't work, I have some tests I'll run on my old computer that should pinpoint which of the other two is to blame.  I hope you're able to solve the problem as well!
    Little Sister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6072
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/22 08:50:50 (permalink)
    interesting. i see in benches 100% gpu load weird lines, so faint there not even there almost. also in certain benches i see scan lines scrolling up and down breifly. i changed my hdmi cable to dvi and same thing, but it did improve a bit.

INTEL I7 2600K  -  CORSAIR H100  -  EVGA Z68 FTW  -  CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2000MHZ 16GB  -  EVGA GTX 580 3GB SLI X3 
    WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB X2  -  CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB X2  -  PLEXTOR BLU-RAY BURNER  -  CORSAIR AX1200
    ENERMAX FULMO GT  -  WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64 

kal1se
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/22 10:26:41 (permalink)
    SOLVED!!! I bought (5min ago) a DVI-DVI cable (without any type of adaptor) and it works properly! I tried only with Battlefield 3 and it runs ok, good luck with your DVI cable too! 
    Pachi3000
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/22 10:30:07 (permalink)
    kal1se

SOLVED!!! I bought (5min ago) a DVI-DVI cable (without any type of adaptor) and it works properly! I tried only with Battlefield 3 and it runs ok, good luck with your DVI cable too! 

Well, that's certainly good to hear!  Do you monitor your gpu usage with any kind of program? (I use EVGA Precision)  Can you confirm that you don't get any scanlines now no matter what the level of gpu usage is?  Battlefield 3 should have pretty high usage, so I feel safe in thinking yours will be fine at any setting.  I hope I have the same luck. =)
    Pachi3000
    Re:Getting Scan Lines in High End Gaming on GTX 560 2011/11/22 15:00:52 (permalink)
    Excellent news, guys!  I just received my dvi cable in the mail not 10 minutes ago, and they work great!  I tested in both Minecraft and Saints Row the Third, and neither have scanlines anymore, even at practically 100% GPU usage! (in SR3)  I'll just keep my fingers crossed it stays this way and enjoy my games once again.  Thanks for the help, everyone! :)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile