Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
The1stCAV
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 259
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2011/10/13 12:50:05 (permalink)
I originally posted Frank and his EVGA parts on here a few weeks past - however considering he just went through 5 days of rebuilding, I felt it was almost fitting for a new thread considering I had to purchase a new case (I messed up the ld one trying to repaint it), and in the process I basically rebuilt Frank with a totally different contrast in visuals compared to what he was before.  So I tried to not write a book but give a basic overview of my thoughts and intentions for this build. 

I began a journey into extreme PC building back in Feb of 2011.  I didn’t want to just create another powerful PC (I have been building PC's since 1998 for personal use/gaming, but nothing at this level), but one that not only had some serious beefy hardware, but also contained visually stunning imagery of craftsmanship and planned precision.  Being that I am not really a metal worker, nor do I have the tools/talent for such a task, I am not too much into making some off the wall outrageous cases or case modifications.  There is plenty of talent out there to fill our screens with old clocks turned PC and so on. 

What I was looking to build was something powerful, clean, classy, but with enough flair that this was a one of a kind build in many ways.  So with that plan, I had two goals when I finally “finished” Frank.  I have drooled over the rigs at MDPC and the level of beauty that those kinds of builds boast.  I wanted Frank to be considered as an MDPC one day if possible.  The second was the cover of CPU magazine.  Now that I have “finished” – wish me luck as I am going to begin preparing to take pictures and submit and see if all this work, time and persistence ends in success and in a fulfillment of my goals.

Over the many months I have learned a lot – spent a lot – and had both happy and frustrating moments.  This has been one very big educational process in sleeving cables, painting components, planning a build and so on.  It has been a journey I am proud to have been able to enjoy and make it a part of my life experience – one I would hope everyone has a chance (if desired) to do at least once.

Frank was born January of 2010 during my first attempt at water cooling a full system.  Not knowing what I was doing I had tons and tons of tubes (if anyone here remembers his initial iteration) and I was asked “what are you building Frankenstein?”.  From that day forward he was duly named “Frank N Stein” and his many iterations and transitions over the last year and a half. His name has gone from "Frank N Stein" to simply “Frank” in conversation and finally will be placed in vinyl letters on the PSU when I get that completed in the next day or two as “FRANK”.

Frank now is one beast of a machine that I hope to enjoy for the next couple years as he sits today.  For the last 5 days I took off work to do one thing – make the final push to get Frank picture perfect in my eyes.  In the process I ended up destroying the Corsair 800D case he was housed in forcing me to go buy another because everything I had was purchased, sized and built for that case. Considering it was a brand new case I really had issues with painting it.  I did end up cutting the hole needed for the power cable waterfall I had hand sewn because it was either undo all that work or cut a hole – the hole cut won.

I will be taking a series of pictures over the next few days as time permits, cleaning, preparing and posting them here to show the final state Frank has landed at now that I have finally hit that “I am done” point.  There are always things I want to do to Frank, things I want to add, change, tweak, and so on, but there comes a point when you have to say “I am done!”.  So here it is, I am at that point with this build that I can finally say – here is Frank, I am done changing him, I am done swapping out hardware and changing things.  Here is Frank’s final look – I hope you enjoy viewing images of him as much as I do taking them, using him, and the pride I have that goes with this level of a build.  It has been a journey that I am appreciative that I was fortunate enough to have the means to have taken.

If you like Frank – please give him some “+1 Love” in ModRigs

Many hours were devoted to not only sleeving cables but perfecting my processes in building them.  Not being content with simply the GPU and 24-pin power cables I knew in order to get Frank to the level I wanted him – all his cables needed sleeving.  This image below is just a drop of water in a very large bucket of cables that I have sleeved along the way.  Like photography takes 100 pictures for 1 stunner – it takes quite a few cable sleeving times to get it down right and I still feel I could do much better as time goes on.  The time and detail it takes in creating your own cables from cutting the lengths, crimping the ends, connectors, heat shrink is crazy.  Building Frank as I have has also given me such a huge amount of appreciation to others who have gone down this path before me – my hats go off to you and the amount of effort it takes to build a rig of such caliber.  You all are my inspiration that prompted me to do my own.

Though most of the temp sensors are hidden out of sight, I wanted to make sure that if they did happen to show in any picture that these got the same level of attention as the rest of the cables in Frank.

Though this is more of an “artsy” kind of photo, I can honestly say I do not know how I ever was able to do most of what I did without these QDC’s.  I went to Quakecon in 2010 and saw them on a guys rig and went home and ordered a couple sets.  Now I have about 20+ sets, some in use on Frank, some on my HTPC (VAMPI) and some as spares.  QDC’s are serious life savers, especially when you just want to isolate a portion of a loop without having to drain it all.

Corsair Dominator GT RAM is touted as some serious RAM capable of handling the push when OC’ing.  I loved how the color scheme also worked with minimal effort on my part to change its look.  This RAM IMO was made for Frank and this build.  The DDR3 has been solid and runs now over 2000MHz very well with the 990X CPU at 4.66GHz.

I cannot tell how many times I have pulled the 360 RAD in and out of this Corsair 800D case.  This was always a dreaded task as it required me to balance three 120mm fans for “Pull” duty on top of the radiator, stick it in the case and hold it up under the top of the case, then stick the grills on top of the case and try to line up all the holes of the covers, case, fan, and rad at the same time.  For months I have struggled with ways to make it easy.  As things have always of revealing themselves to you if you search hard enough, the other day I found myself faced with this very challenge. After an hour of trying, I just could not get opposite corners to line up where I could begin getting the rest lined up.  I sat back and had an epiphany!  I got up and went and cut the heads off 6 hex head screws.  I placed a post on opposite corners of the rad for each 120mm fan.  I then slid the fans down the posts, this left the other opposite ends of each fan “open” for screws.  I then inserted the rad into the case, lined up the posts with the case and shoved it up and through.  Once held up there against the case, I was able to then slide the fan grills over the posts on the outside top of the case, then finally started dropping in the hex head screws from the top straight down perfectly aligned holes and mounted the radiator in less than 5 minutes from start to finish once I had the posts on.  I was so excited I had to share this with anyone who has struggled with this very same thing.

Because this time around I did not paint the inside red, I needed to begin creating contrast in other components against the black background of the Corsair Obsidian 800D case.  The first step was to strip and pain the radiator.  Below shows the rad installed with its new shiny matching red color.

The Corsair 800D Obsidian case has decent airflow, but really IMO is a perfect Water Cooling case.  Because of that there really isn’t a major need in Frank for airflow.  Originally I had used the Corsair Airflow attachment then eventually it was tossed aside for the finned look of the Dominator GT Ram that I had painted to match Frank’s red.  This time around I wanted more of a bold color contrast and the need for better cooling to the Ram modules certainly could not hurt as I am now going to start trying to push Frank as far as I can for overclocking.  With that in mind I went ahead and painted the Airflow unit to match and give me that visual contrast.

Once that went in, I saw a ton of red at top, but there was a blank in the middle before getting to his red mesh floor.  Considering the Bitspower Pump Mod Kit is all black, I knew it was going to just disappear into the black cases background.  How to make it “pop” – paint it red and make it pretty.  So here is the pump painted and red now with the chrome connectors and plugs shinning against the red color.

Once I painted the pump, visually it seemed a tad off balance in the visuals and I needed something to bring the eye back center and uniform.  What was left?  The Watercool connector between the GPU blocks was solid black and needed some contrast against all that black behind it and was perfectly positioned to help align the view of reds/blacks – so off I went to paint it red and the result is below.

Below the last GTX 580 sits the newest addition to Frank and that is the LSi RAID controller.  I had already sleeved the SATA cables but they have been hidden behind the pump going into the Classified board.  Now that I have the RAID controller card I was able to show a tad more of the beauty of sleeved SATA cables curving around to their connection.

In an older iteration of Frank’s looks, I had a red bottom with a black mesh top that was held down with a couple strategically positioned screws.  Now that I was working with a new case and a new color scheme, I ended up painting (after cutting a new “floor” from the mesh) the mesh red – this means that anything I used to secure it would be immediately visible.  So I chose to evenly space some tiny hex head black bolts with nuts on the underneath to tighten it down with.  So I used 8 tiny bolts for both function and visual enhancement to the overall build look and feel due to the fact that all the fans are also mounted with the same style hex head bolts.

This brings me to the last point that I felt needed a coat of red and that was the Silverstone Striker Series 1,500W PSU.  Considering I had painted the I/O Panel red, all PCI slot brackets are also red, the last component that shows from the connection side is the PSU and it was black.  Because it is hidden down below and shaded, it disappeared into the obsidian abyss. Painting it red brought it out visually as well as finished out the I/O end flow much better as well IMO.

Asus RE4 | Core i7 3930K | G.Skill 32GB Kit 9-10-9-28 | EVGA GTX 680 4GB x3 3-Way SLI | LEPA 1600W PSU | Corsair Force GT 120g x2 RAID 0 Programs | Patriot Pyro SE 120g x2 RAID 0 BOOT/OS | WD Caviar Black 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2TB SATA | Asus Phobeus Xonar Sound Card - Sill in progress of 2013 upgrade........

VANTAGE: TBD
3DMARK11: TBD
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63019

94 Replies Related Threads

Crusheddream
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1985
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 13:03:26 (permalink)
    Beautiful rig man.  Now give me those dominators! i need some more RAM lol.  Anyway thats an awesome rig brotha.  Great name too.

The1stCAV
    iCX Member
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 13:44:31 (permalink)
    lol Crusheddream - Frank likes to share but said NO, he isnt giving up his RAM for nuthin! haha, hey much appreciated on the comments though.

Once I got Frank put together - it was time for a leak test.  This part has always been a tense moment knowing that I certainly do not want a leak on all that hardware. Here is "Frank" on the floor with the Koolance ERM-2K3UCU unit.  I love the way I can leak test with the Koolance unit being the power/pump behind bleeding Frank without having to get power in or around Frank's components. The ERM unit makes bleeding and filling Frank a breeze.

So here is a closer view of the insides of Frank.  I try to get all the bubbles out of the blocks so I let him sit for a while, turn the pump on for a bit to see if it is pushing any bubbles along then shake the case and so on.  That is also where the ERM unit lends much assistance, the only thing I have to be concerned of are the two tubes going between Frank and the ERM unit.  Nothing else is attached to Frank at this time so I can flip him, shake him, and roll him over and so on as long as I do not kink those two hoses, so it makes bleeding and burping him much easier.

This gives a good view of the front and back of the case and the detail that went into him.  This is before the filling of the liquid as you can see the tubes are empty, but still the images are to show the views of both ends.  The back side of Frank worked out from his last case painting because the red PCI slot covers looks much better here IMO.  The PSU gave a good final visual flow to the back side as well as the I/O panel being completely painted.  You can also make out the red radiator inside at top as well.

Asus RE4 | Core i7 3930K | G.Skill 32GB Kit 9-10-9-28 | EVGA GTX 680 4GB x3 3-Way SLI | LEPA 1600W PSU | Corsair Force GT 120g x2 RAID 0 Programs | Patriot Pyro SE 120g x2 RAID 0 BOOT/OS | WD Caviar Black 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2TB SATA | Asus Phobeus Xonar Sound Card - Sill in progress of 2013 upgrade........

James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4336
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 14:55:34 (permalink)
    I really love the way this turned out. Very nice and the sleeving for the temperature sensors is a wonderful idea.

eNuQQ
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 236
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 14:56:38 (permalink)
    I wish I had that nice of a 800D :) I run mine stock hahaha ;)

I really dig that you forced the 24PIN connector flat with what looks like some sowing work :D

+1, amazing work mate.

Intel Core i7 2600K @4.5GHz | GIGABYTE P67A-UD7 | 8GB Mushkin Frostbyte 1600MHz | Corsair AX1200
    Noctua NH-D14 | 2x EVGA GTX580 Classified | Intel 510 120GB SSD | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Corsair 800D

Alacran72
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 15:24:50 (permalink)
    Very Nice! 

The1stCAV
    iCX Member
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 16:43:31 (permalink)
    Thanks all for your feedback on Frank.

eNuQQ I really dig that you forced the 24PIN connector flat with what looks like some sowing work :D
    +1, amazing work mate.

Thanks man - I did a video set on how to sew cables.  Check my sig, it has a link to Franks YouTube video, my YouTube channel is where you can find the tutorials on how to sew the cables.  Apparently I am finding this is a possibly a new thing to PC building/modding, though sewing cables like this has been around for MANY years, old telecom offices from back in the Bell days this was standard.  That is where I learned hwo to sew these was with much larger wires in telecom offices when I did installs of transmission, switching and mux/demux equipment in major telecom companies central offices.  I just took what I knew and shrunk it down to work with PC sized cables.

BigH3017
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1243
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 18:01:51 (permalink)
    Beautiful I am truly jealous of you and your work. Beautiful rig, hopefully mine will look like that one day! 

diegorubeus
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2962
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 18:20:22 (permalink)
    beautiful!!!
    all i can say.
    pretty good job!

-INTEL CORE i7 930 D0 @ 4.00 GHZ LINX STABLE      -WD CAVIAR BLUE 320GB (MEDIA)
    -EVGA X58 SLI LE MOTHERBOARD (E757)                  -LG GH22NS40 DVD MULTI BURNER
    -CORSAIR H50 WC KIT IN PUSH-PULL CONFIG          -ACER S231HLbid 23" LED 1080P 
    -EVGA GTX 580 SUPERCLOCKED W/BACKPLATE 
    -CORSAIR HX1050 PRO SERIES PSU 
    -CORSAIR VENGEANCE 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ 
    -THERMALTAKE ELEMENT S CASE
    -CRUCIAL M4 128GB SSD (OS,GAMES)
    hutt8400
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 18:24:37 (permalink)
    All i can say is WOW just WOW. Looks great. +1
    Little Sister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6072
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 18:55:47 (permalink)
    very nice and well thought out :)

INTEL I7 2600K  -  CORSAIR H100  -  EVGA Z68 FTW  -  CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2000MHZ 16GB  -  EVGA GTX 580 3GB SLI X3 
    WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB X2  -  CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB X2  -  PLEXTOR BLU-RAY BURNER  -  CORSAIR AX1200
    ENERMAX FULMO GT  -  WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64 

wrinvert
    R.I.P Friend
    • Total Posts : 3751
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 19:44:43 (permalink)
    just asking cause im confused on the 3way sli waterblock. the way you have the hoses connected isnt that (if its a parallel) flowing straight through the link and not the cards? if its series by my looking the last card or the first card(depending on how the link is set up) isnt getting flow.
    post edited by wrinvert - 2011/10/13 20:01:26

tet5uo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3538
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 20:30:01 (permalink)
    That Is freaking amazing. I bow down to you good, sir!
    Alpha Dog SLI
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 452
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 20:51:37 (permalink)
    Looks awesome, not to over the top with the red it all flows very well

z3r0t0l0rence
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9599
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 21:49:23 (permalink)
    Nice work.

i7 930 OC 4.21 
    EVGA E758 
    GSkill 12GB
    Evga GTX 780 SC
    2x Kingston 240 Raid 0
    2x Seagate 4TB

HeThing
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6897
    • Ribbons : 42
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 21:51:11 (permalink)
    VERY nice! GJ!

tet5uo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3538
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 22:50:44 (permalink)
    like seriously put a NSFW on the thread title because from the sounds I was making as I viewed your images someone would have thought I was perhaps touching myself inappropriately if they were within earshot.
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/13 22:52:14 (permalink)

Attached Image(s)

The1stCAV
    iCX Member
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/14 08:42:36 (permalink)
    wrinvert just asking cause im confused on the 3way sli waterblock. the way you have the hoses connected isnt that (if its a parallel) flowing straight through the link and not the cards? if its series by my looking the last card or the first card(depending on how the link is set up) isnt getting flow.

I never really thought how the connector was flowing or passing the water from block to block, I do know that I have to connect the tubing at opposite sides on top and bottom.  If the entry is bottom right in the case it is now, then the exit needs to be top left connector.  I initially had them top right on both and none of the cards stayerd cool.  When I moved them opposite I now hold a steady 30c, under load I may hit 45-48c on all three cards, so whatever it is doing/routing, it works well IMO.  I prefer this over the SLI tubing connections between the cards or the adjustable SLI tubes that goes between SLI Water blocked cards.  I think this solid connector solution is much cleaner and easier between the three cards.

tet5uolike seriously put a NSFW on the thread title because from the sounds I was making as I viewed your images someone would have thought I was perhaps touching myself inappropriately if they were within earshot.
    Haha, umm need some kleenex? that would have been funny had I put a NSFW warning on the subject title.

Afterburner Baby pic
    LMAO - nice!

As time permits I will load some more pictures then the final pictures when I get it all finalized.

wrinvert
    R.I.P Friend
    • Total Posts : 3751
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/14 16:58:38 (permalink)
    The1stCAV

wrinvert just asking cause im confused on the 3way sli waterblock. the way you have the hoses connected isnt that (if its a parallel) flowing straight through the link and not the cards? if its series by my looking the last card or the first card(depending on how the link is set up) isnt getting flow.

I never really thought how the connector was flowing or passing the water from block to block, I do know that I have to connect the tubing at opposite sides on top and bottom.  If the entry is bottom right in the case it is now, then the exit needs to be top left connector.  I initially had them top right on both and none of the cards stayerd cool.  When I moved them opposite I now hold a steady 30c, under load I may hit 45-48c on all three cards, so whatever it is doing/routing, it works well IMO.  I prefer this over the SLI tubing connections between the cards or the adjustable SLI tubes that goes between SLI Water blocked cards.  I think this solid connector solution is much cleaner and easier between the three cards.

so i was right and you just had it hooked up wrong in the one picture. man i was scratching my head for awhile makeing sure i wasnt being stupid myself. glad to see you got it right and working now.

The1stCAV
    iCX Member
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 11:22:32 (permalink)
    wrinvert so i was right and you just had it hooked up wrong in the one picture. man i was scratching my head for awhile makeing sure i wasnt being stupid myself. glad to see you got it right and working now.

Yeah I knew better, but somehow just did not notice what I had done until I fired Frank up and saw high temps. The middle card though was staying cool either way, just the first and last cards were having issues until I fixed the input/output.  The flow actually comes in at the bottom card and exits the top card to the MB water block, which then feeds out the top/back to the external ERM unit.

Here are some additional pictures I got cleaned and prepared - NSFW - lol

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 12:03:02 (permalink)
    How long did it take to stitch the Cables together? Would love to do something like that but not sure if I would want to deal with the hassle.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    71stpsde
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 499
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 12:04:36 (permalink)
    I think this the best looking system on the site. Just looks amazing.

MSI X99 SLI Plus |Intel i7-5820K|Swiftech H240-X|16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400mhz |Gigabyte GTX 970 X 2|Corsair AX1200 |Samsung 250gb SSD Raid 0|WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache| Corsair 750D |Win8     

The1stCAV
    iCX Member
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 12:19:22 (permalink)
    loveha How long did it take to stitch the Cables together? Would love to do something like that but not sure if I would want to deal with the hassle.

Its not for the non-patient builder I promise as it takes about an hour per row of stiching on the 24-Pin cable - and I have stiched cables for many years in a previous life, so I had a pretty good base.  For those who have not it may take longer and be even more frustrating.  I learned how to sew these on much larger cables in telecom central office installation.  I just shrunk down what I knew to PC cable size.  But yeah it takes a while per row of stiching - you have to WANT to do it.

Here are the videos I did on stitching cables
    Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankNSteinPC?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/La6LbgnZJco
    Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankNSteinPC?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/anpOLg5e3HM
    Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankNSteinPC?feature=mhee#p/a/u/2/A7Qukw_OnSk
    Video 4: http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankNSteinPC?feature=mhee#p/u/3/N4YR_WCCcTg

71stpsde I think this the best looking system on the site. Just looks amazing.

Why thank you - I am rather partial to Frank myself as well.    A lot of time and effort has gone into his build over the year and tons of rework, rebuilds, resleeves have gone on - but I am pretty proud of the progress, the experience and the things I have learned along the way.
    post edited by The1stCAV - 2011/10/16 12:23:52

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10344
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 12:41:02 (permalink)
    Simply Amazing! The paint is perfect, you sure went the extra effort on everything and it shows. I hope you enjoyed the process,rather than loathed it. The EVGA case badge looks to be part of the bridge, I love the whole thing. WOW.
    Stuey 1122
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 494
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 13:22:37 (permalink)
    Love the cable lacing! I'm going to be giving this one a try myself, if it turns out have as well as yours has I will be happy. Well done man!
    MJCRO
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 737
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 13:31:17 (permalink)
    What a beautiful creation Frank is! 

Setup:
    Corsair 250D
    Corsair H100i
    Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz
    Asus Z97I-PLUS
    16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
    EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 w/ NZXT Kraken G10 + Corsair H55
    Corsair HX850i
    Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
    Windows 7 x64
    The1stCAV
    iCX Member
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 13:48:43 (permalink)
    Thank you all for checking out and commenting on Frank - very much appreciated.

notfordman Simply Amazing! The paint is perfect, you sure went the extra effort on everything and it shows. I hope you enjoyed the process,rather than loathed it. The EVGA case badge looks to be part of the bridge, I love the whole thing. WOW.

The reason for this thread starting instead of using the thread I had originally used was because the previous iteration did not have that "perfect" paint.  AS time wore on and things went in and out of the case, the paint started chipping.  So I went to strip and repaint the case - and the rest is history.

About 95% of the time I loved everything I did with and to this build.  There were times I got very frustrated be it from the mods or functionally things not working as I hoped they would or would not play nice and I would have to walk away.  Yeah overall I loved the journey I went through to get to this point.  Like Spacey said in "Horrible Bosses" - "you cannot win a marathon without some tape on your nipples". I ripped some tape off a few times during this process and it hurt, but in the end I think it all worked out.

Glad to know that the SLI Bridge badge thing worked as as I hoped.  I was worried it looked kind of cheesy, but at the same time it just fit so well with the build I left it.  I took the stock SLI bridge, painted it red (like most everything else), then used some A.C Ryan Modders mesh, cut the rectangle out and tacked it on with Super Glue.  Then the three EVGA GTX 580 cards I purchased came with this case badge and I thought it was what I needed in the middle of that bridge to tie it all together.  When I got it done I thought it was pretty neat, but then wondered if it really would work well witht he overall look/feel of the entire build.  So thanks for the comment, it helps me validate that keeping it there was the right decision.

Once I get the EVGA PCB covers for the GTX 580's and the remaining two SATA Cables sleeved I will post his "Final" pictures.  I did say I was "done" but there is always one more thing you can do to add that one last special touch.  Well then I saw EVGA's GTX 580 PCB covers and knew that was the final touch I needed.  I may end up painting the Watercool Heatkiller blocks red to give the contrast against the black PCB covers for that striped look like the cables I sleeved.  Still toying with the idea of painting those water blocks red.

Anyway, once done with those last minute things, I will set a date aside to take Frank out for a photo shoot outside when the lighting is right to get some good shots of him.  Then I hope that Frank finds his place on CPU's front cover as well once I submit those final pics.

As you  all can tell that Frank was much more than just the PC itself build, but incorporated the base he sits on, the rack next to him, all the components in the rack, the desk painted to match and so on.  This was a pretty substantial project I have undergone in the last 8+ months working on Frank and my over all office.  I wanted it al to compliment each other, the lighting behind the monitors are three RED LED strips for that ambient/contrst lighting, etc.  Considering this is also my office/work place during the day and gaming/hobby at night, I had to make sure it was something I enjoyed coming to work to use and not get sick of quickly.  So far so good IMO.

Stuey 1122
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 494
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/16 22:13:21 (permalink)
    If the PCB covers you are referring to are the backplates, make sure to double-check that they are compatible with your water blocks. I have an EK water block for my 580 and the EVGA back plate is not compatible, so I had to go with EK's backplate.

(also if you have a minute, feel free to critique my rig: http://forums.evga.com...5&mpage=1#1275145)
    The1stCAV
    iCX Member
    Re:"Frank" - His FINAL iteration for 2011 2011/10/17 05:36:53 (permalink)
    How do I find out if they are compatible or not?  I am using the Watercool Heatkiller Hole Edition water blocks.  What would make them not compatible?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile