EVGA

Realtek HD Audio causing computer to freeze

Author
Cicchino
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/01/15 22:19:27 (permalink)
My computer kept freezing and I've gone through many steps to find out what it was exactly.  The following thread provides specifics, but not really relevant to the question I'm about to ask: http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=122313

When I use noise suppression, my computer locks up in games only.  I've used ventrilo and skype to test to see if it's only when I try to use the mic in general but only during games (odd, i know).  In order for me to be able to do so, Noise Suppression has to be turned off, but this causes considerable white noise.  The only way to reduce (a little, nothing dramatic) the white noise is increase the quality to studio quality (where you cannot use noise suppression).  Is there any way for me to reduce the amount of white noise from my mic or a fix for the noise suppression freezing my computer?

Just to note, driver/codecs I've installed where this froze are 2.32 (provided by EVGA) and 2.40 (from the realtek site).

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

5 Replies Related Threads

Cicchino
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Realtek HD Audio causing computer to freeze 2010/01/15 23:01:25 (permalink)
    Changing quality to CD and enabling noise works fine.
    upstartxt
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Realtek HD Audio causing computer to freeze 2010/02/27 15:48:22 (permalink)
    Hey my friend, I think I have the same exact issue. I upgraded to 7 yesterday from Vista (which worked fine), and now I am getting total system lockups requiring a hard restart. I really think it has to do something with my audio, as I keep getting these crashes when I suddenly turn my mic on or during gaming. 

I will try to use your fix, but do you mean changing my default output device (speakers) to CD quality or my microphone input to CD quality?
    Raver
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 935
    Re:Realtek HD Audio causing computer to freeze 2010/02/27 17:49:05 (permalink)
    Same issue here I think. Plus I think it is causing stuttering but only in one game.
    I disabled OBS tonight and all issues went away so I stuck in my xfi but I can't install it for some damn reason. That's what led me here.

upstartxt
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Realtek HD Audio causing computer to freeze 2010/02/27 18:38:49 (permalink)
    Raver

Same issue here I think. Plus I think it is causing stuttering but only in one game.
    I disabled OBS tonight and all issues went away so I stuck in my xfi but I can't install it for some damn reason. That's what led me here.

So you just went into the BIOS, disabled the Onboard Sound, and you're computer worked fine (well, for a deaf person)?

Some people have suggested it has instead to do with improper BIOS settings for RAM, although those people they were responding to ran MemTest and did stuff like that and came up fine. 

As of right now I have all of my RAM timings and voltages changed back to AUTO, as well as both by Output and Input devices set to the lowest possible quality (CD quality), as well as Noise Suppression disabled. These are all things that people have suggested so I want to at least see if there is any merit to these claims, and if I don't get any crashes I will start back-tracking to figure out which setting it really is. 

Crossing my fingers I won't get anymore crashes.
    flapinux
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Realtek HD Audio causing computer to freeze 2010/06/13 06:49:00 (permalink)
    I was having an issue the last couple of weeks where, if I ran a voice-app like Teamspeak or Ventrilo, I would get a hard lock when launching a game.  Launching without a voice app running, the game would run fine.  When I noticed Realtek had the 2.49 drivers out, I ran the setup & rebooted and everything was working fine, but no realtek audio manager - I realized then it simply uninstalled the old drivers & audio manager & let windows install it's own default drivers (without the manager).  This led me to believe there was a setting in the audio manager causing the lockups.  I disabled echo cancellation & set the mic to DVD quality & bam, the lockups stopped.  I'm just now figuring this out - so if it changes with long-term testing, I'll let you know.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile