EVGA

GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems

Author
newparad1gm
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2011/07/02 17:17:15 (permalink)
First post here guys. Just had a few questions regarding overclocking my SLI EVGA GTX 580 3GBs. I have found that they just refuse to overclock at all. I'm using MSI Afterburner 2.2 beta 4 and NVIDIA 270.61 drivers. These cards are stable at stock speeds and voltages (playing games, OCCT, 3DMark, no problems whatsoever). However, all hell breaks loose when I even slightly overclock them. Here are a few of the things I've tried:

I found I was getting artifacts and crashing even just pushing the core clock to 800MHz on default voltage, so I decided to start from baby steps.
I push the core clock up to 778Mhz from 772Mhz on default voltage (1.025V) and it crashes in Crysis 2 for me (screen goes black, I can still hear sound, but then I am forced to do a hard reset. At this point when I restart, the BIOS says it has encountered problems with my system overclock and everything is reset to default levels (multiplier, memory, voltages, etc). However as explained below my system OC is stable).
I increase the voltage from its default to 1.038V. I then can play Crysis 2 fine at 778 and 781Mhz (I was trying increments of 3Mhz), but OCCT gives me artifacts in its GPU test at those settings. I found that any increase in voltage from the stock voltage will give me artifacts in OCCT, even at stock speeds.
All throughout these tests, I haven't seen my GPUs break 70C temperature-wise.
Also to rule out system problems, I've tried overclocking these GPUs at stock CPU and memory and voltages, yet encountered the same problems.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or do I just have absolutely terrible overclockers? Should increasing voltage cause artifacting even at stock speeds and within reasonable temperatures? OCCT never runs above 50C yet artifacts nearly instantly when I push the voltage up. The rest of my system is as follows:

Intel Core i7 2600K (overclocked to 4.4GHz (44x multi), with 1.22V Core and Level 6 LLC, hours of Prime95 and IntelBurnTest stable).
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4GB (using XMP profile 1.6V)
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H mobo
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD
RAID0 Seagate Barracude 500GBx2 HDD
ABS SL 1050W PSU

9 Replies Related Threads

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/02 19:30:42 (permalink)
    Sounds like your PSU isnt up to the task
    If the shutdown error is is NOT reporting a Nvidia driver failure -and- is resetting your OC...
    -->Then your OC is NOT stable with dual 580's  

Question: you "are" using the onboard molex PCIEx power connection on your motherboard?

Also: Dont touch the Mem clocks on the cards (leave at default), OC just the GPU cores

Have your checked the "default" voltage on each card? The weakest card will be where you need to work on the OC.
    The card that needs the most voltage at "default" is the weak card.... 

Welcome to the EVGA Fourms

EDIT:
    -->after Googling it appears that your MB does NOT have a extra PCIEx power molex connection, at least I did not see any?

post edited by maniacvvv - 2011/07/02 19:54:40

newparad1gm
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/02 21:19:22 (permalink)
    Like I said before though, even at stock CPU settings (no OC, auto voltage in MB), the same crash still occurs in Crysis 2, and artifacting still occurs when increasing GPU voltage. Note that the black screen crash only happens in Crysis 2, all other games I've tried with OC settings have not caused this sort of crash. I am only overclocking cores right now.

I'm using the 6+2 and 6 pin connectors from my power supply to power the GPUs, I didn't see any additional power connectors for the motherboard besides ATX and ATX 12V. Should I be increasing other voltages in the BIOS like QPI/VTT or System Agent Voltage? I seem to recall some having to increase IOH/ICH voltage in X58 mobos for multi-GPU setups.

I've checked the default voltages on the cards, it seems one card defaults to 1.025V and the other to 1.013V. However, once I apply voltage increases and then reset to default in MSI Afterburner, it defaults both cards to 1.025V.

Regarding the PSU, I've used this PSU before to power GTX 480s and to power GTX 580 1.5GBs to 850Mhz overclocks with no problems. How much more additional power does a 3GB GTX 580 use?
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/02 21:27:23 (permalink)
    Try some testing on your OC's with Vantage and Heaven...
    -->Using Crysis2 will NOT give you stable results.

If you still get artifacts with gentle voltage increases in Heaven and Vantage.. I would suspect the PSU, it appears to be a 2-3 year old unit that has been run hard and it may be having issues under stress.

Hit the reset button in the NVCP and run some STOCK/Voltage OC tests with Heaven and Vantage and lets see what the results are.

When you say
    QUOTE: " the BIOS says it has encountered problems with my system overclock and everything is reset to default levels (multiplier, memory, voltages, etc). However as explained below my system OC is stable).

-->Then this would suggest either a problem with the BIOS OC settings or voltage issues

If it was a problem with the Drivers or the cards, you would NOT be seeing the error you quoted above. 
    A NV Driver crash/low VTT/or defective card ETC, does NOT reset your BIOS to defaults bro...
    post edited by maniacvvv - 2011/07/02 21:41:03

newparad1gm
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/03 09:04:40 (permalink)
    Hmm, So I tried disabling SLI and testing each card individually (I have a Surround setup so it was simple to just change the primary monitors to test each card). It turns out only the second card is bad with voltage increases, with OCCT artifacting pretty quickly after bumping up the voltage even a little bit. I just this is just a dud overclocker then? I even tried switching the 6+2 and 6 pin PCIe power inputs between the two cards to rule that out, and the problem still occurs.
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/03 09:12:08 (permalink)
    Just a thought

I belive that motherboard has the Audio front jack pins right next to the PCIE slots...

You might want to just try and unhook the front panel audio from the Motherboard and test.

Such things have been "known" to cause issues like this before and it a very easy thing to check.

newparad1gm
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/03 09:59:10 (permalink)
    Hmm, tried that and still no luck. I even switched the GPUs to rule out any PCIE problems, but it looks like its still happening to the same GPU I switched. Guess I just have a really terrible overclocker here. Tried some testing at stock again, and I've seen no problems.
    JDookie
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1985
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/03 10:12:59 (permalink)
    Sounds like you definitely have a bad card. Over time you will probably start to see artifacts even at stock clocks, and then it'll be time for an RMA.

If it's any consolation, there are a few people reporting odd black screen crashes with Crysis 2, myself included. I can run any benchmark or stability test I want with no problem, but try to play Crysis 2 with all the new DX11 and texture packs installed, and I get odd black screen crashes at certain points in the game. Increasing voltage seems to have helped, but I'm still thinking it's some kind of software or driver issue going on here. It also seems to be happening more often with Tri SLI setups like we have.

i7 3770K @ 4.8GHz (Koolance CPU-380i water block)
    Gigabyte Z77X-UP7
    2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum C9 1866MHz
    Dual 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX in RAID 0
    EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N w/ EK water block
    Corsair AX1200
    Dell 30" 2560x1600 U3011 Monitor
    Koolance ERM-2K3U (copper) external cooler
    Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers  |  Win7 x64
    wdflyer
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5705
    • Ribbons : 24
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/03 10:30:02 (permalink)
    maniacvvv
    If you still get artifacts with gentle voltage increases in Heaven and Vantage.. I would suspect the PSU, it appears to be a 2-3 year old unit that has been run hard and it may be having issues under stress.

If it was a problem with the Drivers or the cards, you would NOT be seeing the error you quoted above.

+1. That PSU you are running is close to the lower end of the power requirements for your set up in the first place.
    Add-in overclocks, and it is making it worse.

Instead of disabling SLI and switching cards around, have you tried removing the "good" card and running the other one on its own?

Some cards won't overclock, unfortunately they don't come with any performance guarantees in that regard.

Gizmo: Asus MVF - i7-3770k - Corsair H100 - 32GB G.Skill 2133MHz - Radeon 7970
    Two Kingston HyperX 120GB SSDs in R0 - Two 1TB WD Black in R0 - AX1200 - Thermaltake A71

Kids Rig: EVGA X58 Classified3 - i7 950 - Corsair H100 - 12GB G.Skill 1866MHz - Radeon 7970 - 240GB RevoDrivex2
    1TB WD Black - Seasonic 1000w Platinum - CM HAF 912
    newparad1gm
    Re:GTX 580 3GB overclocking problems 2011/07/03 22:11:23 (permalink)
    Mmm, just tried that as a last resort. Took out the good card and left the other in, and still saw artifacting in OCCT. I guess I'll be running these at stock for now. My PSU has served me well, I don't think it is the problem here. I will be upgrading to a 1.2kW PSU in the future once I get a Sandy Bridge E chipset though.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile