Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP

Author
planetclown
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1692
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 15
2012/03/20 08:17:47 (permalink)
Since this is a non-BOINC project, thought it would be helpful to post basic setup steps for the client.
  1. Joining a team is a manual step by the admins.  Go here and find the sticky to join a team. Register/login and request to join team Crunching@EVGA.  Also, shoot a PM to user ltd on the PSP forums since he may miss your request.  Since it's a manual step, you can join a team before or after you return results.
  2. Next, click the other sticky titled "Getting Started / Welcome" for basic project info. Under "How to Participate?" there's a link to the guide on setting up the Automated Network Client, which will automatically reserve and return work for you.  EDIT:  Currently the project server is not compatible with PRPnet client version 5.2 and higher.  Earlier clients can be found under the "old" folder when downloading the client using the instructions.  See below for additional configuration notes.  
Other notes
  1. The install.bat files will create a new folder (client) for each core based on the install.bat filename.
  2. Make sure you enter your email and username, and optionally a clientID (unique for each client you setup) in your master_prpclient.ini.  Also, make sure you comment out all of the server entries except for the following two.

// The following servers are from the Prime Sierpinski Project
    // These servers are external to PrimeGrid.
    server=PSPfp:100:1:www.psp-project.de:8100
    server=PSPdc:0:1:www.psp-project.de:8101

The first entry is for first pass (fp) work, which takes ~3 - 4 days.  The second will assign double check (dc) which completes in ~1 day.  You can change the weight of assignments given by changing the first number which adds up to 100.  So PSPfp:50 and PSPdc:50 would request first pass work 50% of the time and double check the other half.
  3. Once you make changes to this file, the appropriate update.bat will copy these settings into each client folder.
  4. On Windows, a separate command window is opened for each running client. Use the optional PSP Runner program to replace the command windows with a GUI interface.  Just copy the two files to the folder containing the .bat files and then run PSPrun.exe.
  5. The user-created site tools.1up.no/psp/stats shows the first/second-pass tasks currently assigned to users.  The user names are links to more details.

post edited by planetclown - 2013/11/25 05:24:09

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

17 Replies Related Threads

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/20 08:20:23 (permalink)
    Wooo Whooo!! Thank you 

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/20 08:42:57 (permalink)
    Guys, for those of us that participated in the Proth Prime Search event, I'm thinking that we are already good to go and just need to select the "Prime Sierpinski Problem (LLR)" in the PrimeGrid preferences/projects list, correct?

rjbelans
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6223
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/20 09:24:40 (permalink)
    texinga
    Guys, for those of us that participated in the Proth Prime Search event, I'm thinking that we are already good to go and just need to select the "Prime Sierpinski Problem (LLR)" in the PrimeGrid preferences/projects list, correct?

If you do use PrimeGrid, you will get credit under PrimeGrid. There is a separate set of stats for directly completing work in PSP (PRP) as decribed above.
    planetclown
    FTW Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/20 09:31:47 (permalink)
    From what I gather it's the same line of thinking with the OGR-27 project.  You can work on it using BOINC under the Yoyo@home project, but the points will show up under Yoyo and not for OGR-27.

EDIT:  Thanks for the BR, AB!
    post edited by planetclown - 2012/03/20 10:13:00

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

RHMash
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1117
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/20 15:39:38 (permalink)
    planetclown

From what I gather it's the same line of thinking with the OGR-27 project.  You can work on it using BOINC under the Yoyo@home project, but the points will show up under Yoyo and not for OGR-27.

EDIT:  Thanks for the BR, AB!

It's the same as OGR/YoYo....  However, for those looking for non-BOINC PrimeGrid stuff, PRP has PrimeGrid servers, and those are reported to PrimeGrid.  I believe those points have to be done manually so updates are done weekly, I think....

MOBAJOBG
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 272
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/20 18:13:05 (permalink)
    Upon user account registration, should there be a question such as 2^32 - 1 then the answer is 4294967295.

Good info. and thanks for sharing the details, planetclown.
    post edited by MOBAJOBG - 2012/03/20 18:56:05

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 CoD: Black Ops edition

C3B0E5FFF3F141E
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3398
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/23 12:25:51 (permalink)
    PRIMEGRID already pushing some crazy numbers do we really need another off-the-books prime project?

planetclown
    FTW Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/23 14:06:05 (permalink)
    Dunno, but there's also GIMPS and Seventeen or Bust if you're looking for even more prime projects.

RHMash
    FTW Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/23 19:08:57 (permalink)
    warlord420

PRIMEGRID already pushing some crazy numbers do we really need another off-the-books prime project?

Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP Crunching@EVGA    16 4,827.586207  
    It's not really "off-the-books" and moving up in this project will get us a few more spots up in the vault.  Between this and GIMPS, if we get them up to the level as the other projects, we'll notice about 5 places up overall and about 5 or so also in the math section.

MOBAJOBG
    iCX Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/23 19:48:14 (permalink)
    ALLIANCE FORMED BETWEEN SB AND PRIMEGRID!
    (posted by Louie Helm)
    Sunday, 31 Jan 2010
    Our friends at PrimeGrid have partnered with us to help solve the Sierpinski problem! All PrimeGrid users are now able to process SB primality tests using their regular BOINC clients. So those users more comfortable using BOINC have the opportunity to contribute to SB without switching away from their preferred distributed computing software!
    Jean Penné also recently completed work on a new custom build of LLR (v3.8.0) that increases the efficiency of our k*2^n+1 tests by 2-5%!
    Testing ranges for this sub-project will be separate for now, with PrimeGrid testing and retesting pre-chosen ranges. The test space was generated by using our sieve data to eliminate test candidates which created a new database of work especially for PrimeGrid. The first range will be n = 17M - 17.2M. In the event of a prime, there will be joint discovery credit shared between SB and PrimeGrid… and the discoverer of course! PrimeGrid will also do full double checking of this range and verification of matching residues.
    And FYI - As far as statistics go, the PrimeGrid test credit will be awarded as BOINC credit and tabulated separately from regular SB credit.
    Special thanks to Rytis Slatkevičius, Lennart Vogel, and John Blazek of PrimeGrid, and Jean Penné (LLR) for helping to make this collaboration possible! And thanks to all our dedicated volunteers who contribute to crunching SB.

Based on the above announcement which was extracted entirely from here, it's clear that the PrimeGrid team is offering its expertise to the Seventeen or Bust team to proof a part of the Prime Sierpienski problem. So, that means Prime Sierpienski problem - PRP project is the original source and the Seventeen or Bust team responsibility is to provide a certain range of sieve data (and not all of them) to the PrimeGrid crunchers to actually test the illusive Prime numbers among other things to do as well.
    Furthermore, the results obtained by each project crunchers are treated as separate and awarded credits differently as well as independently.

post edited by MOBAJOBG - 2012/03/23 20:09:25

RHMash
    FTW Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/23 19:59:47 (permalink)
    MOBAJOBG

ALLIANCE FORMED BETWEEN SB AND PRIMEGRID!
    (posted by Louie Helm)
    Sunday, 31 Jan 2010
    Our friends at PrimeGrid have partnered with us to help solve the Sierpinski problem! All PrimeGrid users are now able to process SB primality tests using their regular BOINC clients. So those users more comfortable using BOINC have the opportunity to contribute to SB without switching away from their preferred distributed computing software!
    Jean Penné also recently completed work on a new custom build of LLR (v3.8.0) that increases the efficiency of our k*2^n+1 tests by 2-5%!
    Testing ranges for this sub-project will be separate for now, with PrimeGrid testing and retesting pre-chosen ranges. The test space was generated by using our sieve data to eliminate test candidates which created a new database of work especially for PrimeGrid. The first range will be n = 17M - 17.2M. In the event of a prime, there will be joint discovery credit shared between SB and PrimeGrid… and the discoverer of course! PrimeGrid will also do full double checking of this range and verification of matching residues.
    And FYI - As far as statistics go, the PrimeGrid test credit will be awarded as BOINC credit and tabulated separately from regular SB credit.
    Special thanks to Rytis Slatkevičius, Lennart Vogel, and John Blazek of PrimeGrid, and Jean Penné (LLR) for helping to make this collaboration possible! And thanks to all our dedicated volunteers who contribute to crunching SB.

Based on the above announcement which was extracted entirely from here, it's clear that the PrimeGrid team is offering its expertise to the Seventeen or Bust team to proof a part of the Prime Sierpienski problem. So, that means Prime Sierpienski problem - PRP project is the original source and the Seventeen or Bust team responsibility is to provide the range of sieve data to the PrimeGrid crunchers to actually test the illusive Prime numbers among other things to do as well..

But they are still all separate projects.  Just because someone does PSP or SOB work in PrimeGrid, we don't get points for the SOB or PSP teams.  

MOBAJOBG
    iCX Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/23 20:07:12 (permalink)
    RHMash ...yeah agreed with your response and as usual, I was still doing some unfinished long editing. I'm satisfied with all of my posts now inclusive of this too.]
    post edited by MOBAJOBG - 2012/03/23 20:22:16

duboisi
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 195
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/23 22:17:19 (permalink)
    There is no acknowledgement yet to my request to join our team. I have just completed 1 PSP task 12hr ago but can't see the result (http://www.psp-project.de/statdetail/prpteam35.html) and not sure if i have set it up properly. Will crunch the next task when I know my setup is correct.

225*2^1417568+1 (My prime)   

MOBAJOBG
    iCX Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/24 00:03:52 (permalink)
    duboisi

There is no acknowledgement yet to my request to join our team. I have just completed 1 PSP task 12hr ago but can't see the result (http://www.psp-project.de/statdetail/prpteam35.html) and not sure if i have set it up properly. Will crunch the next task when I know my setup is correct.

Hi!, duboisi.
    Below is my prpclient.ini configuration and settings for 64-bit o/s performing first pass task (server=PSPfp:0:1:www.psp-project.de:8100) or double check task (server=PSPdc:0:1:www.psp-project.de:8101). Kindly change to your own email address, please.

I'd decided to crunch my first task to almost until completion and then, stop it. Wait impatiently about 4 to 5 days for my request to join our team to be granted before continue onwards to finish it. Furthermore, 12 file folders were created to facilitate its client installation to reflect the i7 990X processor 12 logical cores. By the way, the necessary contents have been highlighted in bold font.

prpclient.ini
    // email= is a REQUIRED field.  The server will be use this address
    // to send you an e-mail when your client discovers a prime.
    email=yourownemailaddress@abc.com

// userid= is a REQUIRED field that will be used by the server
    // to report on stats, etc. without having to reveal the user's
    // e-mail address.  DO NOT USE spaces.  Instead use underscore _.
    userid=MOBAJOBG

// This value differtiates clients using the same e-mail ID
    // DO NOT USE spaces.  Instead use underscore _.
    clientid=233734

// Tests completed by this "team" will be rolled-up as part of team stats.  This
    // will be recorded on tests that are pending and then updated when tests are
    // completed.  Since it is stored on the server per test, it is possible for a
    // single user to be a member of multiple teams.  If no value is specified for
    // this field, then completed tests and primes will not be awarded to any teams.
    // DO NOT USE spaces.  Instead use underscore _.
    teamid=Crunching@EVGA

// server= configures the mix of work to perform across one or more
    // servers.  It is parsed as follows:
    //   <suffix>:<pct>:<workunits>:<server IP>:<port>
    //
    // <suffix>     - a unique suffix for the server.  This is used to distinguish
    //                file names that are created for each configured server.
    // <pct>        - the percentage of PRP tests to do from the server.
    // <workunits>  - the number of PRP tests to get from the server.  The
    //                server also has a limit, so the server will never return
    //                more than its limit.
    // <server IP>  - the IP address or name for the server
    // <port>       - the port of the PRPNet server, normally 7101
    //
    // Setting pct to 0 means that the client will only get work from the
    // server if it cannot connect to one of the other configured servers.
    // Please read the prpnet_servers.txt in this directory for information
    // on the latest PRPNet servers.

// The following servers are from PrimeGrid
    // For descriptions of each project, please see this post:
    // http://www.primegrid.com/...&nowrap=true#13329
    //server=SGS:0:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12000
    //server=121:0:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12001
    //server=FPS:0:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12002
    //server=GFN65536:0:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12003
    //server=GCW:0:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12004
    //server=GFN32768:0:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12005
    //server=27:0:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12006
    //server=PRS:0:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12008

// Additional servers from PrimeGrid
    //server=ESP:0:1:prpnet.mine.nu:13005
    //server=GFN262144:50:1:prpnet.mine.nu:11002
    //server=GFN524288:50:1:prpnet.mine.nu:11001
    //server=SR5:0:1:prpnet.mine.nu:7171
    //server=PPSElow:0:5:prpnet.mine.nu:12000
    //server=PPSElow2:0:5:prpnet2.mine.nu:12000
    //server=MEGA:0:1:prpnet.mine.nu:12010
    //server=WIEFERICH:0:1:prpnet.mine.nu:13000
    //server=WALLSUNSUN:0:1:prpnet.mine.nu:13001

// The following server is from the Sierpinski/Riesel base 5 Project
    // This server is external to PrimeGrid.
    //server=SR5:0:1:www.psp-project.de:8105

// The following servers are from the Prime Sierpinski Project
    // These servers are external to PrimeGrid.
    server=PSPfp:0:1:www.psp-project.de:8100
    //server=PSPdc:0:1:www.psp-project.de:8101

// This is the name of LLR executable.  On Windows, this needs to be
    // the LLR console application, not the GUI application.  The GUI
    // application does not terminate when the PRP test is done.
    // On some systems you will need to put a "./" in front of the executable
    // name so that it looks in the current directory for it rather than
    // in the system path.
    // LLR can be downloaded from http://jpenne.free.fr/index2.html
    // If your CPU is AVX capable, comment out the llr.exe line
    // and uncomment the llravx.exe line
    llrexe=llr.exe
    // llrexe=llravx.exe

// This is the name of the PFGW executable.  On Windows, this needs to
    // be the PFGW console application, not the GUI application.
    // PFGW can be downloaded from http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/openpfgw/
    // If you are running a 64 bit OS, comment out the pfgw32 line
    // and uncomment the pfgw64 line.
    //pfgwexe=pfgw32.exe
    pfgwexe=pfgw64.exe

// This is the name of the genefer executables used for GFN searches.  Up
    // to four different Genefer programs can be specified.  The client will
    // attempt a test with CUDAGenefer first if available...otherwise, genefx64
    // will be first.  If a round off error occurs in either, it will try genefer.
    // If a round of occurs in genefer, it will try genefer80.  If
    // genefer80 fails, then the number cannot be tested with the Genefers.  It will
    // then be tested with pfgw if available.  The order they are specified here
    // is not important. (NOTE:  Linux only has genefer available)
    // Uncomment the line (genefX64) if you are running on a 64 bit machine
    geneferexe=genefercuda-boinc-windows.exe
    //geneferexe=genefx64.exe
    geneferexe=genefer.exe
    geneferexe=genefer80.exe

// This is the name of the executable used for Wieferich and Wall-Sun-Sun searches.
    // Available ONLY to 64bit OS.  Uncomment if you have 64bit OS.
    //wwwwexe=wwww.exe

// This sets the CPU affinity for LLR on multi-CPU machines.  It defaults to
    // -1, which means that LLR can run on an CPU.
    cpuaffinity=

// This sets the GPU affinity for CUDA apps on multi-GPU machines.  It defaults to
    // -1, which means that the CUDA app can run on an GPU.
    gpuaffinity=

// Set to 1 to tell PFGW to run in NORMAL priority.  It defaults to 0, which means
    // that PFGW will run in IDLE priority, the same priority used by LLR, phrot,
    // and genefer.
    normalpriority=0

// This option is used to default the startup option if the PREVIOUS
    // SHUTDOWN LEFT UNCOMPLETED WORKUNITS.  If no previous work was left
    // this will act like option 9.
    //    0 - prompt
    //    1 - Return completed work units, abandon the rest, then get more work
    //    2 - Return completed work units, abandon the rest, then shut down
    //    3 - Return completed, then continue
    //    4 - Complete in-progress work units, abandon the rest, then get more work
    //    5 - Complete in-progress work units, abandon the rest, then shut down
    //    6 - Complete all work units, report them, then shut down
    //    7 - Complete all work units then shut down (do not report completed work)
    //    9 - Continue from where client left off when it was shut down
    startoption=3

// stopoption= tells the client what to do when it is stopped with CTRL-C and there is
    // work that has not been completed and returned to the server.  Options 2, 5, and 6 will
    // return all workunits.  This will override stopasapoption.  The accepted values are:
    //    0 - prompt
    //    2 - Return completed work units, abandon the rest, then shut down
    //    3 - Return completed work units (keep the rest), then shut down
    //    5 - Complete in-progress work units, abandon the rest, report them, then shut down
    //    6 - Complete all work units, report them, then shut down
    //    9 - Do nothing and shut down (presumes you will restart with startoption=9)
    stopoption=3

// stopasapoption= tells the client that it needs to be shutdown automatically, i.e. without
    // a CTRL-C.  It is evaluated after each test is completed.  It should be 0 upon startup.
    // The accepted values are:
    //    0 - Continue processing work units
    //    2 - Return completed work units and abandon the rest
    //    3 - Return completed work units (keep the rest)
    //    6 - Complete all work units and return them
    stopasapoption=0

// Timeout on communications errors
    // (default is 60 minutes, minimum is 1 minute if not specified here...)
    // Note that the actual used in the client is anywhere from 90% to 110% of this value
    errortimeout=3

// Size limit in megabytes for the prpclient.log file...
    // 0 means no limit.
    // -1 means no log.
    loglimit=1

// Set the debug level for the client
    //    0 - no debug messages
    //    1 - all debug messages
    //    2 - output debug messages from socket communication
    debuglevel=0

// Whether or not to echo "INFO" messages from server to console for accepted tests
    //    0 - no echo
    //    1 - echo (default)
    echotest=1
    post edited by MOBAJOBG - 2012/03/24 00:33:51

planetclown
    FTW Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/24 04:37:18 (permalink)
    duboisi

You may want to send a PM to ltd on the PSP forums to get added. I've updated the OP with this info as well.

One more request. Due to the fact that i sometimes miss the new posts in this thread please create also a forum PM to me (ltd) when you want to join a team.

duboisi
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/03/24 19:47:57 (permalink)
    Thank MOBAJOBG and planetclown.
    I have already PM ltd on March 23. So now just have to wait patiently.

duboisi
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Prime Sierpinski Project - PRP 2012/04/07 23:03:52 (permalink)
    Those with AVX instruction set can copy over the Primegrid V3.8.8's  LLR ".exe"
    (primegrid_cllr64_3.8.8_dev20120326_windows_x86_64.exe) or (primegrid_cllr_3.8.8_dev20120316_windows_intelx86.exe)
    to yr pcpclient folder and rename it to llr.exe. I have completed 2 WUs without any problem. But not sure how much faster then the original llr.exe.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile