EVGA

My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :)

Author
Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3939
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 62
2012/03/19 18:05:59 (permalink)
Hi all

After rethinking of something new to post, I thought about decorating my Orchids with some dragons and Dinosaurs haha, this is what I have created so far:

Panned from the left side lots of Dragons & Serpents tooz! 

Panned from the right side:

As for the Spinosaurus and that big Amethyst Crystal a real one btw I made that my Diorama of that Dinosaur Sculpture and that big crystal.
The Title is Spino and the Big Amethyst, featuring a real Amethyst from Grottes Du Tarn, France

So here a rear place side shot of my Spino hanging his head above that big purple rock:

Here his surprised face, as he is surprised to the colors of the rock, it seems he wants to protect it, for the mystic powers it may hold

And here Spino guards this magical rock, it seems he is very satisfied by it's looks and power :) The Triceratops also loves this rock xD

As for my old Dinosaur club, the Dino Toy Forum aka DTF has moved to here:

Click to enter if you'd like to see it

We always seek new members, fans, collectors, even Palaeontologists, Geologists and Scientists but also members that are just Dino-Fanatics like us :)
It's just good to see my old Dino Club taking shape again, I have not been there in years and after accidentally finding the old place via my email box after receiving an email from one of the DTF crew members that we moved to anew place, my interest in this old hobby is slowly regaining it's strength, I am Tylosaurus over there, just for the ones wondering 

Happy reading!
post edited by Gold Leader - 2012/03/19 18:17:42

16 Replies Related Threads

InputUsername
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 972
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2012/05/04 07:36:31 (permalink)
    I remember the British Museum Brachiosaurus. Brachio was always my favorite since before Jurassic Park (yes, ~5yr old me was a hipster). It stood there on top of the display shelf at the museum gift shop. Whenever we visited the museum i'd dedicate whatever time my parents spent in the shop, just looking longingly at that brachiosaurus.

It was at the top of my list for chrismas and birthday presents every year for i don't know.. three years maybe? It was outlandishly expensive for a "toy" so i knew chances were slim, but i put it there, just in case. With memorized spelling, "Brachiosaurus" would be followed by some lego sets, books and other stuff.

Saving most of my allowance still didn't take me close to being able to afford it.

Then when i was perhaps 8 or so, my heart would skip several beats as i saw a parcel that miiiight fit the shape and weight of the Brachio. "Oh my god, this might be it!". Previous years i'd been able to quickly determine "nope, none of these big/heavy enough" but this time around, hope was rekindled!

I unwrapped it almost reverently and happiness washed over me as i discovered its contents. It was everything i had wanted it to be. My aunt who's an artist had helped me sculpt a clay replica but it was brittle with a frail neck and tail. This however, was a tank.

I would just slowly move it across my field of vision and do pretense camera angles and flybys with it for hours. Feel it with my hands and take in every anatomical detail. Walk it slowly across the floor, test the theory that it lived in swamps in the bathtub.

Thanks for reminding me.

http://commons.wikimedia....the_British_Museum.JPG

W7 Ultimate on Samsung 840 Pro 512gb run by:
    Intel QX9650 @3.5 cooled by Noctua U12P with:
      Kingston HyperX Genesis  2x4gb @1600 on:
    EVGA
    790i Ultra featuring:
      EVGA GTX 980 SC.  Powered by:
    1000W Zalman PSU, encased in: SilverStone FT02B.
    Viewed on: Dell U2711 @2560x1440.
    Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7807
    • Ribbons : 30
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2012/05/04 11:56:12 (permalink)
    huh...neat hobby. Minus the dino's, dragons are ok though...I like dragons :P

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!
    Associate: 5L1LJB5JQ94H892 Affiliate Code: QRXQKO8ZJS

Kanti
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4739
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2012/05/04 19:41:38 (permalink)
    Are orchids hard to keep?  I've been thinking of getting some.

Muh 'filiate code: 387JKEF57G
    seabigbear
    The Polar Rig Master
    • Total Posts : 20424
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2012/05/04 19:44:17 (permalink)
    Your a nut but, the Bear loves you bro!

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2012/05/04 20:41:28 (permalink)
    seabigbear

Your a nut but, the Bear loves you bro!

Na, I think he's just eclectic. Of course a lot of us around here have crazy hobbies so we're not much to talk.
    Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/13 07:35:51 (permalink)
    Here the latest updates :)

Well here we go then
    Keeping it short is normally my main objective, but usually it may be a bit longer than expected, okay!

Here is how it all began:
    Back in 1976 when I was born my first dinosaur well was not a dinosaur to some point it was this 1976 Dimetrodon from the brand Imperial:

As you see it's dated 1976, my birth year xDD You will have to click to enlarge it,to see 1976 printed under the Imperial Logo

It was probably given to me at birth, I truly can't remember but yeah it probably triggered my future to collect dinosaurs, I also was given a big rubber snake my mother told me, but even that is all way too vague. to even remember hehe

From 1980 to about 1995 I collected Chinasaurs & Dinosaurs alike, ya know them everyday rubber and plastic dinosaurs you could buy all over the place, not only dino's but also the odd looking dragons, monsters, snakes, lizards, crocs, snakes, rats, mammals, sharks and gators! You name it, ghost busters toys it all added up to these four boxes:

Which I have sold to my partner Tyrantqueen and my Sister for her 6 year old son

But it is fun to show what these boxed have in them hehe, this was before and during my Dino-Riders collecting days.

Box One:

Box Two:

Box Three:

Box Four:

After looking for a particular item for like the past 22 years!!!!

I finally found it and bought it, which is this Mint In Box!! Dino-Riders Pachyrhinosaurus with Atlas !!!
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251189172641?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Sometimes you will have to look 20+ years to find what you really have been dying to look for and that seemed to of worked out for me!

But yeah, I am still baffled by this awesome find, after20 years you kinda lose hope that you will never find it and now 2 years from that point I am like NOOO WAIIII hahahahaha
    But I just have to hope now that the seller will do a good job packing it and shipping it, this is also a great fear for us collectors right

Here a photo I took of the new Dino-Riders Pachyrhinosaurus with Atlas with my new Sony CuberShot DSC-HX200V 18.2 MP HD Camera, I still need to learn and cope with it, I resized the image to 7.2 MP format.

More pics coming soon, I just gotta learn to use this new camera I guess, for now my old one is better at such photo's the new one is better for scenery shots, oh well I just gotta take more practice with it

Okay!

After a good friend helped me out with my Camera and help me set the Aperture to 8.0, I was able to make a much cleaner shot!
    And here the result:

As you can see everything is sharp now And oh the shadow you see in the front is from my chin xDDDD :hyena: :hyena:

Here a total shot of the two top rows of my Dino-Riders Showcase:

As for that one, it's not that sharp, maybe too much going on in there? I dunno, I still have to figure that one out.
    Middle Row:

Bottom Row

The loose Pachyrhino has been placed in the box of this new one, which you can see here:

Here the top of the box showing what the toy is capable of:

And here the rear view with a famous art done by Ezra Tucker:

As you can see this item is from 1989

Searching for new items for this collection is sooo hard these days, most items go for overrated price tags, really I have seen the Mint in Box Pachyrhino's go for like 560 to even 1300 Euro's
    It's really insane, so 350 Euro's compared to those is just a very good deal, even that it is a lot of money still, I mean back in 1990 they sold for about 49 euro's or so, really, it's a shame that items such as these sell for such high amounts. But at least I didn't have to pay that much for mine!

As you can see my oldest prehistoric reptile, the 1976 Imperial Dimetrodon can also be seen in that collection, and it still gives me many good memories.

Around 1989 when I had a lot of Dino-Riders and many of these Chinasaurs, my Karate Shihan Sir Alan Burdett organized an interview of me and my Dino collection in the Bunbury Mail, which was the biggest Dino collection known in Western Australia of that time, I had 286 Dino's then and yeah I have a picture of this day too:

The Steggies collection is now complete witha total of 26 Steggies

The first three Steggies can be seen here:

That are:
    01. 1977 Marx Stegosaurus
    02. 1988 Dino-Riders Stegosaurs with Tark & Vega
    03. 1988 Dino-Riders Kentrosaurus with Krok

The other 23 can be seen here with my Orchids collection:
    Left:

Centre

Right:

Which are all these:

04. 2011 CollectA Dacentrurus
    05. 2011 Carnegie Miragaia
    06. 2006 Kaiyodo Huayangosaurus Version A Brown / Sand
    07. 2006 Kaiyodo Huayangosaurus Version B Green / Sand
    08. 2009 CollectA Stegosaurus Deluxe Edition
    09. 2009 CollectA Weurosaurus
    10. 2007 CollectA Lexovisaurus
    11. 2004 Frame Masters Kentrosaurus 4D Puzzle Green Version
    12. 2008 Colorata Tuojiangosaurus
    13. 1996 Safari Ltd. Stegosaurus
    14. 2010 CollectA Kentrosaurus
    15. 2010 Safari Ltd. Kentrosaurus
    16. 2012 CollectA Miragaia
    17. 2006 Happinet Kentrosaurus
    18. 2009 Bullyland Stegosaurus
    19. 2011 Mojo Stegosaurus
    20. 2012 Schleich Stegosaurus
    21. 2008 Safari Ltd. Stegosaurus
    22. 1996 Safari Ltd. Wild Safari Great Dino's Collection Stegosaurus
    23. 2001 Kaiyodo Chocolasaurs Dinotales Part 2 Stegosaurus
    24. 1994 Custom Painted Battat Stegosaurus
    25. 2006 Sega Kentrosaurus
    26. 2012 Favorite Kinto Stegosaurus

And this is my latest achievement:

Battat Ouranosaurus Nigeriensis:
    Left side:

Right side:

Top view:

Belly view:

Rear view:

It's my new replacement, since the first one I gave to Weez1990, my partner she repaints Dino's and since it's colours were fading that didn't matter for her

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4805
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/13 08:09:34 (permalink)
    I tell you what bud I am a big fan of dinosaurs as well. Did you see about this new dinosaur discovered. It looks like a little cute pigeon LOL. Also about that scientist finally found the oldest dinosaur yet discoverd.

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...d-dinosaur-discovered/
    http://www.foxnews.com/sc...r-oldest-dinosaur-yet/ 

post edited by XrayMan - 2013/02/13 08:14:06

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/13 08:32:23 (permalink)
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT

I tell you what bud I am a big fan of dinosaurs as well. Did you see about this new dinosaur discovered. It looks like a little cute pigeon LOL. Also about that scientist finally found the oldest dinosaur yet discoverd.

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...d-dinosaur-discovered/
    http://www.foxnews.com/sc...r-oldest-dinosaur-yet/ 

Hey many thanks for them links mate
    That is some nice stuff!

JoeZipp
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4344
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/13 17:31:49 (permalink)
    The dinos are OK but I'm really impressed by the orchids. I understand they are really hard to keep and yours look very healthy. Nice hobby.

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/13 22:20:59 (permalink)
    JoeZipp

The dinos are OK but I'm really impressed by the orchids. I understand they are really hard to keep and yours look very healthy. Nice hobby.

Yeah well just give them a bath every week and they will look like they are now, Thanks for the reminder I am gonna do that today again

clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5274
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/14 10:38:20 (permalink)
    Very cool Gold Leader!

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/14 12:16:22 (permalink)
    clo007

Very cool Gold Leader!

Many thanks clo007 ! Yeah I kinda miss them old days, it feels as if the older we all get the faster time flies. Oh no!

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/16 00:33:17 (permalink)
    The good news is that my feeling for collecting Steggies has returned haha!

And tonight I came across this lovely Stegosaurus from Colorata!
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/190645782623?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I just love the colours this one has and it's pattern also

This one is from the brand Colorata and was sold and made in Japan only, it's something really cool to have amongst my Steggy collection, this is also my 27th Stegosaurid of my Steggy collection

More Steggies will come, but I take it easy for now hahaha
    post edited by Gold Leader - 2013/02/16 00:37:23

z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/16 01:00:35 (permalink)
    I need to start collecting things again, collected coins there for a bit, but that's one of the most boring things to collect, everyone does it.

Maybe I'll collect pieces of paper with presidents (or Benjamin Franklin) on them.

I know, I'll collect losing lottery tickets! that way whenever I buy a lottery ticket, it's a win-win situation!

Anyway, glad to see that you're not collecting real wolves or Dinosaurs, don't want to end up on that animal hoarder show
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/16 01:21:10 (permalink)
    A walk around your house must be interesting....

can I come?

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:My Orchids, an old Dinosaur hobby that returns & a new Dino website too :) 2013/02/16 01:55:03 (permalink)
    RushXTC

A walk around your house must be interesting....

can I come?

Sure any day, all friends are aloud and very well accepted, if you live in The Netherlands too I can pass along my info tooz

If not, maybe I should make a video   I always get shy  when I hear my own voice haha FAIL  Lemmie see what I can do!
    post edited by Gold Leader - 2013/02/16 01:57:32

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile