EVGA

Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix)

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
AngryAce
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 867
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 08:28:27 (permalink)
BenchZowner

2*480 on air/water = no risk.

WRONG!  I like how people talk as if they know what they are talking about. There are people who had their PSUs and Boards melt with 2*480s on air such as myself and Donta.  I lost 2 PSUs and 2 boards from this issue and the TWO cards were at stock speeds and voltages so please stop spreading info you obviously know nothing about

Sum1uNo83
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2691
  • Ribbons : 12
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 08:40:53 (permalink)
these molex fixes are a must if you dont have a mb with it built in already and are extremely overclocking the gpu's. other wise you will get a melted 24-pin connector. rare im sure, but enough people to make it an issue.

AngryAce
SSC Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 08:45:52 (permalink)
jrmitchell1983

these molex fixes are a must if you dont have a mb with it built in already and are extremely overclocking the gpu's. other wise you will get a melted 24-pin connector. rare im sure, but enough people to make it an issue.

Agreed but the point is you dont need to have your cards O/C'd at all. Your at risk when running at stock speeds but these guys throw out information like they are experts on the subject when they are not. I went throught it twice so I know what it takes to melt the PSU 24-pin plug and it was 2 GTX 480s @stock speeds and voltages.

Sum1uNo83
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 08:49:34 (permalink)
woojyee

jrmitchell1983

Agreed but the point is you dont need to have your cards O/C'd at all. Your at risk when running at stock speeds but these guys throw out information like they are experts on the subject when they are not. I went throught it twice so I know what it takes to melt the PSU 24-pin plug and it was 2 GTX 480s @stock speeds and voltages.

stock clocks can do it as well, you are correct. the 400 series is just to powerful and draw to much from the 24-pin alone. this is why the mod has been invented by evga. there are 2 other mods you can do depending on which mb you have, but they both require soldering. evga will fix this solution IMO because they have always treated there customer right IMO and will continue.

BenchZowner
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 09:53:49 (permalink)
woojyeeWRONG!  I like how people talk as if they know what they are talking about. There are people who had their PSUs and Boards melt with 2*480s on air such as myself and Donta.  I lost 2 PSUs and 2 boards from this issue and the TWO cards were at stock speeds and voltages so please stop spreading info you obviously know nothing about

(facepalms)

Thanks for educating the uneducated arrogant "average joe" ( that's me! yeah lol ).
I'll take your advice in consideration next time I overclock my GTX480 3-way SLI past 1300MHz on liquid nitrogen.

Thanks master!
And sorry for my ignorance and amateurism ( laughs out loud )
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10053
  • Ribbons : 165
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 10:44:55 (permalink)
BenchZowner

woojyeeWRONG!  I like how people talk as if they know what they are talking about. There are people who had their PSUs and Boards melt with 2*480s on air such as myself and Donta.  I lost 2 PSUs and 2 boards from this issue and the TWO cards were at stock speeds and voltages so please stop spreading info you obviously know nothing about

(facepalms)

Thanks for educating the uneducated arrogant "average joe" ( that's me! yeah lol ).
I'll take your advice in consideration next time I overclock my GTX480 3-way SLI past 1300MHz on liquid nitrogen.

Thanks master!

I'm very happy for you, and am glad you have not suffered any problems or damaged hardware.
Congrats!

But I dont think the EVGA fourms are a good fit for you. You continue to post in a disrespectful fashion towards those who have lost hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of hardware to this issue.

Your continued posting that there "is no problem" is clearly false and misleading, given the many users who have (doucumented) these 24pin failures, and EVGA itself who has RMA'd many of these motherboards and has seen the results firsthand. 

No real experianced system builder/overclocker, would ever discount properly documented failures from other respected members of these Fourms.

That you choose to continue to do so is disrespectful, and shows your complete lack of understanding of what these fourms are for.

If you cannot respect others and post in a adult fashion, dont be suprised that nobody is listening....
It's quite clear, you dont know what you are talking about.

Bragging and laughing at others who have lost hardware, speaks for itself... how sad is that. 

post edited by maniacvvv - 2010/11/25 10:54:49

dmoheban
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1506
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 10:57:55 (permalink)
An Evga tech support rep told me that this problem can only happen if you run the system 24 hours a day. Is this true or can it happen with less use?

Associate Code: K8XL098LGS5O4WZ
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 11:00:21 (permalink)
According to those who have experianced this issue, the EVGA Tech is misinformed...
The system does NOT have to run 24/7 to experiance the 24pin meltdown.

One member posted that from boot to meltdown and PSU failure, took less than 15mins under Furmark.

I suggest you read Donata's extensive post, where many users have posted the failures and failure modes.
It is the amount of voltage (drawn by the videocards) under certain conditions, not how long a system has been running.  
post edited by maniacvvv - 2010/11/25 11:07:09

Sum1uNo83
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 11:04:48 (permalink)
The bottom line guys, is that it can happen. regaurdless of what setup or config your running. IMO better to be safe than sorry. for all Motherboards that do not have the added pci-e power connector, you should have this fix.

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 11:10:47 (permalink)
+1

I am so waiting to get my adaptor and be able to overclock my SLI config....  Hopefully before my stepup 580's come in

Gaaretjax
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 162
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 11:35:59 (permalink)
I think overall it "can" happen to anyone with a 480 card under the right conditions.  That doesn't mean it will but for my peace of mind i'd like a couple of the fixes due to how I use these cards.  I plan on getting a pair of 580 HC2's as well and niether MB has the Molex connection for added 12v power on the PCIe lane.  I've Not had any issues "yet", but that doesn't mean I may not in the future at likely the worst possible time.  This fix would in my mind fix the potential for a failure of the 24pin meltdown.   I am very happy for those that haven't had any issues with single to 4x sli config's.  That doesn't mean every person will have the exact same result though.  We all spend varied amounts of cash on our computers and like to see them perform and last a good long time. 

I again want to thank EVGA for coming up with this fix for thier customers when in my mind it's clearly a Nvidia issue in regards to being out of the PCIe2.0 spec for power draw.  That is what I call Customer service and that is EVGA.

EVGA X299 Dark 9900X CPU oc'd @ 5.0GHZ 64GB Ram 2x 2080TI FTW3 HC in SLI
Mountain Mods Ext UFO CYO Case 
Affiliate code# M90AIN72H1

AngryAce
SSC Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 11:41:36 (permalink)
BenchZowner

(facepalms)

Thanks master!

No one is calling into question your technical knowledge, your just spreading wrong information when u say  
"2*480 on air/water = no risk"

If your system is prone to this issue then I would guess it would have happened by now. My first went down at the end of May, about a week after installing the GTX 480s.... no one knew what the reason was at the time so after a series of bad RMA boards, I received a good e760 and a week later it was down from melted pins again.  By now, others were beginning to have similar issues and Donta's (who also had issue at stock speeds) post is the one that got the most attention.

Now EVGA is aware of the issue and is developing a fix. In my case, they offered me the Classy 3 which I accepted. System has been running flawless since.

Sum1uNo83
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 11:51:36 (permalink)
woojyee

BenchZowner

(facepalms)

Thanks master!

No one is calling into question your technical knowledge, your just spreading wrong information when u say  

If your system is prone to this issue then I would guess it would have happened by now. My first went down at the end of May, about a week after installing the GTX 480s.... no one knew what the reason was at the time so after a series of bad RMA boards, I received a good e760 and a week later it was down from melted pins again.  By now, others were beginning to have similar issues and Donta's (who also had issue at stock speeds) post is the one that got the most attention.

Now EVGA is aware of the issue and is developing a fix. In my case, they offered me the Classy 3 which I accepted. System has been running flawless since.

wait a min. why are you guys arguing over this. we already went through this in 4 different threads. no one is right or wrong, thats just opinions and asumptions. the facts are what you should be worrying about IMO. All MB without an additional power connector to the pci-e lanes need the fix. regarudless if on only runs 480 in sli or more. stock clock or overclocks. it is an issue and is being addressed as such.

as your self this? if it was not an issue then why is evga making a fix? better yet why are we discusing it?
IMO if you dont think you need it, dont use it. if you do then use it.

AngryAce
SSC Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 14:44:25 (permalink)
jrmitchell1983

woojyee

BenchZowner

(facepalms)

Thanks master!

wait a min. why are you guys arguing over this. we already went through this in 4 different threads. no one is right or wrong, thats just opinions and asumptions. the facts are what you should be worrying about IMO. All MB without an additional power connector to the pci-e lanes need the fix. regarudless if on only runs 480 in sli or more. stock clock or overclocks. it is an issue and is being addressed as such.

as your self this? if it was not an issue then why is evga making a fix? better yet why are we discusing it?
IMO if you dont think you need it, dont use it. if you do then use it.

He made a statement that said

I had 2*480s  that melted 2 PSUs and ruined 2 e760s and both cards were @stock speeds and voltages. So my input is neither an assumption or opinion, it is FACT.

I just dont want someone to read his flawed statement and ruin their hardware but you are correct, enough has been said on many threads.

remenaker
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 356
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 15:27:12 (permalink)
So I have 4 E760 MB and  4 GTX 480s so I have to wait till the end
of Dec. now oh will waiting again. But I will get 4 of them for my
boards Please Evga and I will pay for them if you like.
Sum1uNo83
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 16:12:13 (permalink)
no one will have false info after they read all the posts here and other threads on it IMO. it is not a risk for everyone and should you be worried sure, but use your best judgment imo. evga will only have a limited number to give out and im sure the lucky ones to get them wil post results and test them. hopfully i will be one.

AngryAce
SSC Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 17:14:11 (permalink)
remenaker

I have not read that single card configurations had any issues. have you???

Sum1uNo83
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 20:00:42 (permalink)
woojyee

remenaker

I have not read that single card configurations had any issues. have you???

single cards, no. i can confirm no issues at all. only sli/tr/quad

badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 21:29:08 (permalink)
Well I must be one of the lucky ones to never had this problem at all. I been running this setup overclocked for the last 5+ months with even my 2x480 overclocked at as well.
post edited by badboy64 - 2010/11/25 21:34:28

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
KMoore4318
Pistoj Doulos Unum Pluribus
  • Total Posts : 17850
  • Ribbons : 238
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 21:34:57 (permalink)
badboy64

Well I must be one of the lucky one to never had this problem at all. I been running this setup overclocked for the last 5+ months with even my 2x480 overclocked at as well.

Yea, It's like smokeing, some can light up day after day, and enjoy there cigarettes, and never have an issue; But you still feel bad for those that get diagnoised with Lung Cancer.  
post edited by KMoore4318 - 2010/11/25 21:39:23

Just clink Link to Register >  My Affiliate Code:VTJPDC4OMB 
1)965 V-8  E761(77)
2)980X AX1200 E760(77) 980 ti
3) E770 (77)2(590) SLI AX1200 
4) X299 FTW K, 9980XE 2 2080 supers on AX1200
badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 21:40:25 (permalink)
KMoore4318

badboy64

Well I must be one of the lucky one to never had this problem at all. I been running this setup overclocked for the last 5+ months with even my 2x480 overclocked at as well.

Yea, It's like smokeing, some can light up day after day, and enjoy there cigarettes, But you still feel bad for those that get diagnoised with Lung Cancer.  

Of course I would feel for them but my Dad had it plus COPD and Emphysema at the same and been dead for 2 years after smoking for 57 years.

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
KMoore4318
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 21:47:37 (permalink)
^ I guess my point is you may never have a problem, It may run like a champ for a week, a month, a year, 50 years, or you might wake up to the smell of smoke, what has most of us concerned, is not the thousands that are running without issue, it's the 2% or so that may. We all hope to be among the 98% that question what is happening, but even at the quoted >2%, no one wants to be one of them.

1)965 V-8  E761(77)
zoltanthegypsy
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 721
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 21:47:40 (permalink)
That's a problem with trying to share high-current low-voltage power between several contacts.  If all have the ~ same resistance down to the milli-Ohm level, all is good.  If one is slightly higher resistance (contamination, corrosion, tarnish, whatever) it can start to heat up, which can raise its resistance and the current gets steered to the other contacts, which overheat, which etc, etc, etc.

And the cascade of death is underway.  I'm a little skeptical of the PCI-e/molex fix.  It will certainly provide an additional current path, but balancing that high-current, low-voltage power between contacts may still be an issue.  ( It actually helps if each path has a built-in resistance, since it balances the load, but that won't fly for low-voltage high current apps.)

The real long-term fix is providing a _separate_ supply path to each heavy load, not doubling up on existing common paths.  Not something that can be done w/an existing MOBO.  Hopefully the bandaid will work.

Just talking out of my backside here, it's been a long day...

Z.

5thduke
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3343
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 21:48:22 (permalink)
i ve got the rare set up a  hx1000 2x 480 sli and a e760 i dont feel good about over clocking at the moment.i thank EVGA for doing this for us they didnt have too.

never attempt to remove a fly from your friends head with a meat cleaver .  

KMoore4318
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/25 21:57:38 (permalink)
5thduke

i ve got the rare set up a  hx1000 2x 480 sli and a e760 i dont feel good about over clocking at the moment.i thank EVGA for doing this for us they didnt have too.

I wouldn't think your setup is all that rare, I have a 760 with a HX1000 and two 580's, also, have a 759 with 2(295's) and am holding off on any upgrade for now, ( the 759 has the AX1200), and the third system is a 758 with a HX1000, will be upgrading Graphics from Tri 260's, once I have a firm handle on what the safe options are.

1)965 V-8  E761(77)
remenaker
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 356
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/26 05:48:20 (permalink)
Oh forgot to say two E760 have two GTX 480s and the other
two have GTX 285s so running SLI GTX 480s on two of my
E760 boards.
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/29 09:35:38 (permalink)

Attached Image(s)

Fentzinator
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/29 09:45:28 (permalink)
Thanks for the update JacobF.  Will this also work in PCIe x 1 slot?  When will these be available?

Evga Classified 759, I7 980x @4.4 ghz, 12 gigs G-Skill  8,8,8,24,  Thermaltake 1350 PSU, Corsair 240 GT SSD,  Heat killer water block HK , Thermaltake Level 10 Case ,  2-xfx 7970 x-fire, Dell 30" Monitor,

EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/29 09:46:07 (permalink)
Yes it will.

Fentzinator
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix) 2010/11/29 09:47:07 (permalink)
Great news!  How do I get one?

Evga Classified 759, I7 980x @4.4 ghz, 12 gigs G-Skill  8,8,8,24,  Thermaltake 1350 PSU, Corsair 240 GT SSD,  Heat killer water block HK , Thermaltake Level 10 Case ,  2-xfx 7970 x-fire, Dell 30" Monitor,

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile