returning 970 SC reference

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18917
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2014/10/16 21:08:19 (permalink)

I recently purchased a 970SC reference (non-ACX) card from Newegg for my wife, and 2 x 980SC reference (non-ACX) cards from EVGA for myself (yeah I got lucky there). I had seen that the 980 reference card was available on step up ("was" being the operative word) so I got the 970SC with the view of maybe stepping up depending how the 970 and 980 cards performed.

Shortly after the 970 arrived, I registered it and paid $20 for extended warranty, having read that the warranty transfers to step up cards.

The 980 cards are great so far, but soon after installing, I noticed the 970 card made a whining noise like a small turbine (which I commented on somewhere else in these forums at the time). It's not loud at all, but the pitch is really annoying, and it gets  worse under load. I did the 'finger test' on the fan and established with reasonable certainty that it is not coil whine, it is the fan making the noise. Rather than mess around with RMA and the expense of it when I may well have the same problem with a replacement card, I instead registered for step-up.. and found the 980 reference is no longer available for step-up, only the 980 ACX card.. which I definitely do not want.

I registered for step-up anyway thinking maybe the 980 non-ACX will become available again soon, and after some thought, I contacted EVGA explaining my situation and asking if the 980 reference cards will be available again on step-up in the next few weeks, or if not, could I transfer the $20 I paid for extended warranty on the 970 just a week ago and put it towards an extended warranty on one of the 980SC reference cards I purchased, and I'd return the 970 to Newegg and buy a 980 reference card separately when they came back in stock.

EVGA responded promptly (good service as usual there) and advised that there are no plans to put 980 reference (non-ACX) cards back on the step-up list, so if you were waiting for that, sorry, it's not going to happen.

EVGA also advised the warranty is non-refundable (which is stated on the warranty page quite clearly), so I was out of luck there.. and they only transfer with a step-up.

As a result, I'm out $20 for the warranty, $54 for the Newegg restocking fee, plus the shipping + insurance to send the card back to Newegg, which I am guessing will be another $20-30 (I have not sent it back yet, I just put the request in now)... so about $100 in total. An RMA I guess I'm going to have to pay shipping as well.

As a long-time customer of EVGA and one who spends a significant amount of money on their products (significant to me at least, lol), this is an appeal to see if EVGA might reconsider helping me out in some way, although I realize there is no obligation to do so since everything was made clear up front re non-refundable warranty etc.. all except the 980 reference unexpectedly being pulled from step-up without warning and for no apparent reason.

Also wondering if maybe I might be better to step-up to a 980 ACX card anyway, and then sell the 980 ACX and buy a reference from whoever has stock, considering it's going to cost me at least $100 taking the other route.. hmmm  ...actually that may be the better option, assuming EVGA doesn't want to help out in any way.

post edited by Nereus - 2014/10/16 21:11:04

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

18 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 21:13:43 (permalink)
    I would just RMA it since you're still within the first 30 days of purchase. You will receive another brand new card since you're within the first 30 days.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 21:48:12 (permalink)

You should have checked the step up list before diving into the step up. http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/#FAQ
    You also have the option to get out of the step up. If there's a fan defect your best option is to RMA the card, or have Newegg replace it if it's within 30 days.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 21:57:33 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    You should have checked the step up list before diving into the step up. http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/#FAQ
    You also have the option to get out of the step up. If there's a fan defect your best option is to RMA the card, or have Newegg replace it if it's within 30 days.

I did check the step-up list way back around when I ordered the 970 - the 980 reference (non-ACX) card was on there back then, along with the 980 ACX card, but now it's only the ACX card.  :(

Regarding RMA for another 970, yes I could, but there's not much point if I want to get a 980 for my wife's desktop instead, having experienced them on my own desktop.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 22:03:08 (permalink)
    Nereus
    XrayMan

I did check the step-up list way back around when I ordered the 970 - the 980 reference (non-ACX) card was on there back then, along with the 980 ACX card, but now it's only the ACX card.  :(

Regarding RMA for another 970, yes I could, but there's not much point if I want to get a 980 for my wife's desktop instead, having experienced them on my own desktop.

Well I guess you will have to pay a restocking fee then. Your punishment for changing your mind a lot. LOL.        :P

&nbsp
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 22:04:12 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    Well I guess you will have to pay a restocking fee then. Your punishment for changing your mind a lot. LOL.        :P

lol, well aren't you a ray of sunshine!

Screw it, I don't think EVGA are going to help out, there's no reason they should. I'm going to do the step-up to 980 ACX, then sell it bnib slightly discounted, then buy the 980 reference.. that should work out maybe a little cheaper than that restocking fee, throwing away the warranty cost, plus shipping the thing back to Newegg.

Maybe someone who wants an ACX card can buy the reference and do a swap plus whatever the diff is in cost... whatever. Next time I wont be quite so hasty to buy a new card, lol. 

post edited by Nereus - 2014/10/16 22:07:17

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 22:08:54 (permalink)
    Nereus
    XrayMan

lol, well aren't you a ray of sunshine!

Screw it, I don't think EVGA are going to help out, there's no reason they should. I'm going to do the step-up to 980 ACX, then sell it bnib slightly discounted, then buy the 980 reference.. that should work out maybe a little cheaper than that restocking fee, throwing away the warranty cost, plus shipping the thing back to Newegg.

Maybe someone who wants an ACX card can buy the reference and do a swap plus whatever the diff is in cost... whatever. Next time I wont be quite so hasty to buy a new card, lol. 

Sounds good. GL with everything.        =)

&nbsp
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 22:17:37 (permalink)

cheers ;)

knowings7
    • Total Posts : 80
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 22:26:01 (permalink)
    Do you know if the problem with the whining on the cards is only with the reference cards? or are other cards having this problem? im thinking about purchasing a 970 so this would be good to know...
    knowings7
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/16 22:27:11 (permalink)
    btw you would probably would be better off just to sale you 970, considering there mostly sold out everywhere im sure you could get close to what you paid for it.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/17 00:28:51 (permalink)
    knowings7
    Do you know if the problem with the whining on the cards is only with the reference cards? or are other cards having this problem? im thinking about purchasing a 970 so this would be good to know...

Have a scan through the forums. For some, the cards are brilliant, others have some coil whine, others have noisy fans. I think the majority are perfectly ok though, or there would be a lot more noise about them on these forums.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/17 00:30:46 (permalink)
    knowings7
    btw you would probably would be better off just to sale you 970, considering there mostly sold out everywhere im sure you could get close to what you paid for it.

LOL dude I wouldn't sell a card knowing that it has an issue (albeit minor), or else I'd sell it discounted...

MvdL79
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 550
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/17 01:25:25 (permalink)
    Nereus

I recently purchased a 970SC reference (non-ACX) card from Newegg for my wife, and 2 x 980SC reference (non-ACX) cards from EVGA for myself (yeah I got lucky there). I had seen that the 980 reference card was available on step up ("was" being the operative word) so I got the 970SC with the view of maybe stepping up depending how the 970 and 980 cards performed.

Shortly after the 970 arrived, I registered it and paid $20 for extended warranty, having read that the warranty transfers to step up cards.

The 980 cards are great so far, but soon after installing, I noticed the 970 card made a whining noise like a small turbine (which I commented on somewhere else in these forums at the time). It's not loud at all, but the pitch is really annoying, and it gets  worse under load. I did the 'finger test' on the fan and established with reasonable certainty that it is not coil whine, it is the fan making the noise. Rather than mess around with RMA and the expense of it when I may well have the same problem with a replacement card, I instead registered for step-up.. and found the 980 reference is no longer available for step-up, only the 980 ACX card.. which I definitely do not want.

I registered for step-up anyway thinking maybe the 980 non-ACX will become available again soon, and after some thought, I contacted EVGA explaining my situation and asking if the 980 reference cards will be available again on step-up in the next few weeks, or if not, could I transfer the $20 I paid for extended warranty on the 970 just a week ago and put it towards an extended warranty on one of the 980SC reference cards I purchased, and I'd return the 970 to Newegg and buy a 980 reference card separately when they came back in stock.

EVGA responded promptly (good service as usual there) and advised that there are no plans to put 980 reference (non-ACX) cards back on the step-up list, so if you were waiting for that, sorry, it's not going to happen.

EVGA also advised the warranty is non-refundable (which is stated on the warranty page quite clearly), so I was out of luck there.. and they only transfer with a step-up.

As a result, I'm out $20 for the warranty, $54 for the Newegg restocking fee, plus the shipping + insurance to send the card back to Newegg, which I am guessing will be another $20-30 (I have not sent it back yet, I just put the request in now)... so about $100 in total. An RMA I guess I'm going to have to pay shipping as well.

As a long-time customer of EVGA and one who spends a significant amount of money on their products (significant to me at least, lol), this is an appeal to see if EVGA might reconsider helping me out in some way, although I realize there is no obligation to do so since everything was made clear up front re non-refundable warranty etc.. all except the 980 reference unexpectedly being pulled from step-up without warning and for no apparent reason.

Also wondering if maybe I might be better to step-up to a 980 ACX card anyway, and then sell the 980 ACX and buy a reference from whoever has stock, considering it's going to cost me at least $100 taking the other route.. hmmm  ...actually that may be the better option, assuming EVGA doesn't want to help out in any way.

Just sell the card on eBay or craigslist. Let someone else have the problems. EVGA doesn't care anymore about their products as of late. Support is going downhill also. EVGA is the new Abit.
    ManBearPig
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6130
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/17 04:46:24 (permalink)
    MvdL79
    Just sell the card on eBay or craigslist. Let someone else have the problems. EVGA doesn't care anymore about their products as of late. Support is going downhill also. EVGA is the new Abit.

He has already said that he has a conscience (nice to know at least some people still do) and wouldn't want to do that to someone else.  And I've seen nothing but the opposite about eVGA's support.  Here is a thread that eVGA went out of their way to help someone even though they didn't have to (person caused physical damage to their board).

MvdL79
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 550
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/17 07:24:44 (permalink)
    ManBearPig
    MvdL79

He has already said that he has a conscience (nice to know at least some people still do) and wouldn't want to do that to someone else.  And I've seen nothing but the opposite about eVGA's support.  Here is a thread that eVGA went out of their way to help someone even though they didn't have to (person caused physical damage to their board).

idc, I would just sell it. Instead of making such a loss on a card. :-)

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/17 13:55:00 (permalink)

So a certain someone would be a Red Flag in the FS section?

&nbsp
    staypuft
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4013
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/17 16:19:49 (permalink)
    I'm not sure the warranty transfers if you sell, so still out that cost either way. Usually the seller pays shipping insurance and fees, So still out that cost as well if you sell. Restocking fee should not be an issue since it is defective for coil whine. Ask newegg for a return label (usually get that if you call), so possible only out the warranty fee. Seems to me the cheapest route.

Interested in a discount on EVGA products?
    Click here for details and enter this Associates code at checkout >> 2ILPLQQ8IWY8DPN

2021 Build: Gigabyte Z590 Ultra | Core i7-10700K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Asus TUF VG27AQL1A
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/17 16:54:00 (permalink)
    XrayMan

So a certain someone would be a Red Flag in the FS section?

Heh.. well I didn't want to say anything, but...

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: returning 970 SC reference 2014/10/23 12:26:24 (permalink)

Closing update: the 980 reference card appeared in stock for a few minutes on EVGA and I successfully ordered one for my wife. I sent the 970SC back to Newegg yesterday. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile