EVGA

overclocking question

Author
nealb90
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/09/17 15:23:37 (permalink)
I have the 5930k overclocked to a stable 4.5 under prime95 load (ran for several hours). Highest recorded temp was 70℃. I have my cpu multiplier option in the bios set to manual and its at a multiplier of 45 right now, and my cpu voltage mode is set to auto. When set to auto, I noticed that it brought my voltage up to 1.337 volts. Now, is that too high of a voltage for this cpu or is the voltage within range if the temps are reasonable? Idle it sits around 35-38℃ and under load sits at 70℃. Is it ok to push this thing further?

Also, when I set cpu voltage mode to adaptive should I manually enter 1.34 volts because I know that's what it's stable under? Any suggestions for the offset if needed? Probably small incraments like +5 or +10?

Any advice from experienced overclockers would be very appreciated! Thanks to anyone who can shed some advice on the subject!
post edited by nealb90 - 2014/09/17 15:46:16

2 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: overclocking question 2014/09/17 15:55:43 (permalink)
    So far, the only think I am not liking about manual is that it *seems* constant, instead of downclocking while at idle. I am still new to CPU overclocking, and want to get better at it honestly. Why not set it to 1.34 and see how it does under load, and if you need to bump it a little you can. I wouldn't want it to ramp up that much if I were you, but as I stated, I think it sets the voltage to constant when using manual. I don't have my new board yet, so I can not test everything just yet, unfortunately.
    nealb90
    • Total Posts : 33
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: overclocking question 2014/09/17 16:06:43 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    So far, the only think I am not liking about manual is that it *seems* constant, instead of downclocking while at idle. I am still new to CPU overclocking, and want to get better at it honestly. Why not set it to 1.34 and see how it does under load, and if you need to bump it a little you can. I wouldn't want it to ramp up that much if I were you, but as I stated, I think it sets the voltage to constant when using manual. I don't have my new board yet, so I can not test everything just yet, unfortunately.

You won't regret getting this board! It's awesome. Overclocking is easy and it has tons of great features. I absolutely love the temp readout on the mobo in Windows, it's so convienant. Fortunately I have not had any random restarts or BSOD at all like I've seen in other posts on this forum. I'm usually really unlucky when it comes to that stuff! Plus I already got a great overclock without too much effort.

Also, if I set my cpu voltage to adaptive, should I turn off turbo mode under the advanced tab in cpu settings?
    post edited by nealb90 - 2014/09/17 16:47:25
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile