Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
mdk7777777
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 220
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/04/26 10:49:23 (permalink)
Since the inception of FOLDING there has been concern that the donor results would simply be used for the profit of Stanford, PandeLab, or associated companies to directly profit, patenting drugs or procedures.

While I always thought those concerns were valid, there appeared to be a reasonable policy of openness and a  promise to maintain non-profit from the donor research.

"
Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?
Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an academic institution(specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University's
Chemistry Department), which is anon profit institution dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or make any money
off of it. Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular, the results from
Folding@home will be made available on several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations
will be submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be posted on the
web page after publication. Next, after publication of these scientific articles which analyze the data,
the raw data of the folding runs will be available for everyone, including other researchers, here on
this web site."

However, recently it has come to my attention that Dr. Pande now leads a venture capital firm, investing in companies that mine data for drug companies, with the intent of patenting those results.

This seems like not only a betrayal of all donors for the last 15 years, but also a ethical conflict of interest. I have to doubt if FOLDING is still an altruistic non-profit, or rather a thinly veiled vehicle for personal enrichment. This thread on reddit explores the issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/..._conflict_of_interest/

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/04/26 11:09:52

67 Replies Related Threads

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/26 11:35:35 (permalink)
    Yeah, it is the direct link that I find disturbing. That a logical progression of data leading to commercialization of a finished product(drug)...one knows that this will happen. It is actually proof that the work is beneficial right?
    The problem is vertical integration...Pande running a non-profit, and a for profit that directly profits from the non-profit. That is a clear and obvious conflict of interest...you cannot possibly be fair to mutually exclusive interests.
    He needs to turn over the project to someone who does not have the clear and obvious ethical conflict.

It cannot be more clear:
    "We will not sell the data or make any money
    off of it."

Obviously Dr. Pande leading a multi-million dollar venture capital firm is intending to make a shed load of money off of it. Great for him. Just remove yourself from the donor contribution process that you are not profiting from

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/04/26 11:39:59
    nathan_P
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 359
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/26 12:20:02 (permalink)
    AFAIK the folding results are in the public domain and free to use, until/unless that changes I don't see a problem

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/26 12:34:28 (permalink)
    Well, here is a very real possibility:

As director you have access in real time to the publishing of results.
    Now this information would allow you to direct, influence, or otherwise encourage the start-up company to pursue a promising lead.
    This "insider information" is subliminal...you really don't even have to make a conscious effort to exploit something out of order of the the publishing and general dissemination process...you merely pursue what you "know" is a promising area without necessarily thinking through how you "know" it.

The direct, indirect, and even unknowing potential for capitalizing on your position is huge...I could think of a 100 cases off the top of my head.

Access, process, and timing are everything in patent law...first to file, first to process...

Proving 10 years later that the information was misappropriated never undoes the damage. Billion dollar industries are built on such insider information. If you have followed technology for the last 40 years, you know this is the case with nearly every major company that exists today.
    Who you know, and when you know it is just as important as what you know...perhaps a great deal more important.  

Insider information makes it impossible to have a level playing field even with pure "public information."
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 05:22:19 (permalink)
    bill1024

So comes the question, are the results being sold, or are they giving them away?
    If pharma can just see the results published somewhere in a journal on the web for free, maybe they should have to pay.
    If they have to pay, pay who? Folders, Stanford the students or everyone?

I can only conclude that the results are being sold to the Pharma companies. The simulations that we Fold can only come from one place and that is the Pharma companies to see if it is viable for drug developement. You don't think that Stanford just willy-nilly snatches these formulas out of the air, do you? It was and still is my understanding that we Fold these proteins to help keep the cost of drugs down but we have no control or information of where the actual results are going or what is being done with them. It shouldn't take long for some ambulance chasing attorney to get wind of this, start digging into where the results are going, and if Stanford is profiting from the sale of these results begin a class-action lawsuit to have each and every person who was duped into Folding out of shear generosity reimbursed for their expenses. Sign me up!
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 06:00:49 (permalink)
    Well, I'm not certain it has gotten that bad yet.
    What I am concerned is that the line between non profit and for profit work has been obliterated!
    This is what Dr. Pande posted on the FF:
    "This role is very compatible with my role at Andreessen Horowitz; in fact, it is very synergistic, as I benefit greatly from being at the center of cutting edge research in software eating biology (our primary investment thesis) with Folding@home and FAH benefits from my VC ties. Moreover, it’s common for Silicon Valley VC’s to have these sorts of ties"

Now we all know that ethical corruption is wide-spread in the business world, from banks and insurance companies buying off regulators and politicians to software companies stealing patents.

A defense of "everyone is doing it" hardly gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of assurance.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 06:09:19 (permalink)
    I think the key phrase here is 'investment company'. The most promising results can be taken from the Folding results and given to the investment company to insure a larger profit. This borders on securities fraud and insider trading. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see the dear sweet loveable Dr Pande sitting in prison right next to that jerk who raised the price of a known AIDS treatment drug through the roof in the near future. 
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 10:20:53 (permalink)
    Well, the delete hammer is out on the reddit.
    This post from foxnews777 was deleted:
    Both are interested in environmental resources. EXXON has much greater resources to research environmental impact...sure the Sierra Club would benefit from the experts . It is an exact anology. Dr. Pande's interest in research is now entirely on what can be patented. ..or otherwise made exclusionary for profit...it is what venture capital does...total opposite of [link=mailto:folding@home]folding@home[/link]

So, I guess they have a different view of what venture capital is about?
    You really have to be joking.
    You think people put up $200 million and hire you to direct the investment...and they want the director to do what exactly?
    Spend his time... what?...evenly split between non-profit and for profit?
    Really? You really think that?

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/04/27 10:22:15
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 10:28:42 (permalink)
    Folding results have always been very open since the program started.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 10:47:12 (permalink)
    "Folding results have always been very open since the program started."

And they should stay that way!
    However, there was always a process of publishing papers, the normal academic process of peer review and dissemination of results.

Dr. Pande in his speech specifically states his intention to by-pass that process, to allow data mining that goes around the usual process of peer review, clinical trials, etc. etc.
    The reddit thread lists the source. You should definitely read it.

He gave a presentation on how cloud computing could be used by start-ups to avoid the delays and plodding of the standard research process.

One of the companies he has invested in promotes their software tool set to again, allow researchers to avoid using standard boring excel data sheets(that everyone uses and allows peer review) and instead use the cloud to speed their research directly to start-up companies(https://benchling.com/)...to immediately monetize the results. (I'm not making any of this up...I didn't know anything about it until I read his presentation)From his talk:

"Yeah, I think where this translates is the idea that right now, in the software side, we could give a bunch of smart grad students or young entrepreneurs $3 million and they can use that with cloud computing and so on and get to a product. And then, at later stages of investment, we can assess like how they are selling, how they’re building up the sales and basically, at each stage, we can think about funding based on data-driven metrics of their performance. It’s very different from biotech where you only have revenue at the very end and it’s very difficult to de-risk in those ways.
    I think this levels the playing field in the sense that we’re going to see better startups that can be invested in and raise money like these software companies where along the way, they’ll be able to move much more quickly to product and proof of concept and even potentially to revenue very early. That’s something that would be very key to the health of the company, but also to the de-risking of the company going forward."

When you go around, when you make the process exclusionary (only people using your tools and software)...you are no longer being open in the classical sense that everyone agrees on.

Finally, I see nothing wrong with being a force of disruptive change...it is actually how most progress occurs, methods/business models that are a significant factor, rather than merely evolutionary or percentage, more efficient crowd out older models.

The point is that makes no sense to be in both places at once. Business capitalization at the greatest speed possible...and plodding, public, open research ....there is a clear conflict of interest. 

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/04/27 11:55:59
    Drazhar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2370
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 19:35:09 (permalink)
    Now that they've added another mod to the reddit who appears to be quite happy to lock threads, I'm strongly considering abandoning this ****show of a project.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 19:50:58 (permalink)
    Drazhar
    Now that they've added another mod to the reddit who appears to be quite happy to lock threads, I'm strongly considering abandoning this ****show of a project.

I've noticed that too along with a few deletions. My PC is currently down after the PSU failed and I had a blockage in my loop. I should be back up by Saturday but I won't be Folding again. These Mods are self employed, self appointed volunteer moderators that don't want any distractions from their source of income. Without us, the Folding community, they are nothing. I see more and more Folders dropping out because of the mismanagement of those forums. We deserve to be treated with dignity and respect and our voices have a right to be heard not censored. We have legitimate question, observations and concerns and all we get is a kick in the face for our efforts. Goodbye Stanford.
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/27 20:45:51 (permalink)
    "Now that they've added another mod to the reddit who appears to be quite happy to lock threads"

Yeah, I've been persona non Grata for sometime. However, it shocked me that Dr. Pande has just thrown everyone who asks a question into the "troll" category. I asked if they really meant to imply that about you, and a number of other OP, whose threads he ignored. However, my question was deleted and the threads locked. So much for rule #5 Eh?
    Use the delete button sparingly. This is currently a small subreddit so deletion of comments is highly disruptive. Please refrain from doing this whenever possible.

I get the feeling they really, really, really do not want anyone asking about how the project is administered, or about any non-profit conflicts of interest.

Ask anything along these lines, and I guess you are automatically a troll.
    post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/04/27 20:56:48
    7 i m
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/28 14:56:55 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Folding results have always been very open since the program started.

Hurray, a voice of reason and logic.

As noted above, this is one of the oldest FAH FAQ entries.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/#ntoc4

Who “owns” the results? What will happen to them?
    Folding@home is run by an academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University’s Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or make any money from it. Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular, the results from Folding@home will be made available on several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be posted on the web page after publication.
    Following the publications of these scientific articles, we will make the raw data of the folding runs available to other researchers upon request. The data sets from some of our most prominent simulations are already publicly available. We’ve also striven to share our key technologies with other scientists, to assist their research as well. 

Synergistic benefit does not equal sizable bank account.  They are sharing ideas for mutual benefit, not for loading up their mutual funds.

With all of the fah data and results open and free to researchers, I don't see how one could possibly accuse Dr. Pande of trying to profit from something that is already FREE!  It would be like accusing him of trying to profit by selling people some California Air.    
    Data mining these results is not going to turn up a golden nugget.  That is not the nature of this fah data.  It has already been well processed by [link=mailto:Folding@home]Folding@home[/link].  And even if they do find something interesting, it would still take millions of dollars of investment and years of development to bring anything to market, even by big pharma. 

A conflict of interest accusation can only be supported by someone with a very poor understanding of the FREE FAH research data and how all this really works.  The type of startups that Dr. Pande is promoting will not be running data mining on the fah data.  But if anyone wants to burn $3 million dollars on any kind of data mining, they are more than welcomed to keep whatever they find. Selling this conflict of interest story has about as much worth as the California Air that Dr. Pande is selling.  Stanford and Dr. Pande cannot profit in any way from FREE data, especially if anyone has to start $3 Million in the red.  Hey, at least the data was free.

post edited by 7 i m - 2016/04/28 15:10:30
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/28 17:41:51 (permalink)
    We will not sell the data or make any money from it.
    Yes, that pretty much distills down the promise made to donors.

"I don't see how one could possibly accuse Dr. Pande of trying to profit from something that is already FREE! "

Well, I guess we should just look at his recent statement and compare it to the plain language above:
    Dr. Pande from FF
    "This role is very compatible with my role at Andreessen Horowitz; in fact, it is very synergistic, as I benefit greatly from being at the center of cutting edge research in software eating biology (our primary investment thesis) with Folding@home and FAH benefits from my VC ties. Moreover, it’s common for Silicon Valley VC’s to have these sorts of ties"

Let's break it down.
    "This role is very compatible with my role at Andreessen Horowitz"
    This role(director in a venture capital fund) and director of a non-profit research project are compatible....wait...what?...how?

"in fact, it is very synergistic, as I benefit greatly from being at the center of cutting edge research in software eating biology (our primary investment thesis) with FAH

Because I fully intend on profiting from my position, which grants me unique access to on going(cutting edge) research, and researchers( I obviously can't deny my intentions as every Biography and press release from Andreessen Horowitz describes the reason I was hired and my job description.)

and FAH benefits from my VC ties.
    Not clear how the donors or FAH benefit...no elaboration other than "synergistic". But the connotation is basically...Yeah, I intend on profiting from my position as director of FAH, but hey, that is really a good thing, not a bad thing. 

Moreover, it’s common for Silicon Valley VC’s to have these sorts of ties
    Rather than address the whole ethical details of why this profiting should not be considered a conflict of interest...let me just say "everyone does it." Because you know, that is such a convincing argument for my sudden reversal on the whole "not Profiting" from FAH donor's contribution. 

So 7IM, no one needs to make any accusation. Dr. Pande has plainly stated that he will profit, and sees no problem doing so.

Going into details of the millions already invested, and the details of the corporations and their stated objectives is not really necessary. It doesn't matter if you understand how they could possibly profit...Dr. Pande has already made the case to the venture capital fund...and they have already agreed. These companies already exist and are already exploiting/capitalizing/data mining under the direction of Dr. Pande(not direct as in president, but as representative for the investor Venture Capital group) .  

"Andreessen Horowitz funded the seed round from a new $200 million bio fund it announced alongside the TwoXAR news. Vijay Pande, a professor of chemistry, computer science, and structural biology at Stanford, is joining the firm as a general partner dedicated to the fund.
    TwoXAR was founded in 2014 by Radin—a Stanford grad who developed the algorithms and has been a chief technology officer in previous jobs—and another man with almost the exact same name: Andrew M. Radin, the chief business officer, who is a former venture capital and private equity investor."

So while you may think access is as free as air, someone with $200 million is willing to pay for that access.

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/04/28 17:54:16
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/28 18:03:02 (permalink)
    "A conflict of interest accusation can only be supported by someone with a very poor understanding of the FREE FAH research data and how all this really works.  The type of startups that Dr. Pande is promoting will not be running data mining on the fah data.  But if anyone wants to burn $3 million dollars on any kind of data mining, they are more than welcomed to keep whatever they find. Selling this conflict of interest story has about as much worth as the California Air that Dr. Pande is selling.  Stanford and Dr. Pande cannot profit in any way from FREE data, especially if anyone has to start $3 Million in the red.  Hey, at least the data was free."

Again, you appear to not understand the "that was then and this is now" thing.

You describe the old system where peer review of research papers was a slow, evolutionary process.

Dr. Pande gave his speech specifically laying out a new paradigm. You may reject it, but that doesn't mean that Dr. Pande does not believe it. We should really take him at his word:
    "And also, on the entrepreneurial side, I’ve been involved in several startups, one of the more recent ones, Globavir BioSciences, takes a lot of these concepts and applies it to therapeutics and infectious disease and imuno-oncology where we use computation to be able to very quickly identify new compounds, especially for drug repurposing and to move within months or under a year from having nothing to something that’s ready to go to Phase-II clinical trials.
    What I want to talk to you about today though, is a particular trend that we’ve been observing, which we call Bio 2.0."
    He see a great deal of money to be made and is managing investments to do just that. Will they all succeed? No. that is the nature of venture capital...However, the object remains crystal clear.

PROFIT.

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/04/28 19:22:29
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/04/28 19:06:54 (permalink)
    And even if they do find something interesting, it would still take millions of dollars of investment and years of development to bring anything to market, even by big pharma.

Dr. pande will respond directly to your question:

"Yeah, I think where this translates is the idea that right now, in the software side, we could give a bunch of smart grad students or young entrepreneurs $3 million and they can use that with cloud computing and so on and get to a product. And then, at later stages of investment, we can assess like how they are selling, how they’re building up the sales and basically, at each stage, we can think about funding based on data-driven metrics of their performance. It’s very different from biotech where you only have revenue at the very end and it’s very difficult to de-risk in those ways.
    I think this levels the playing field in the sense that we’re going to see better startups that can be invested in and raise money like these software companies where along the way, they’ll be able to move much more quickly to product and proof of concept and even potentially to revenue very early. That’s something that would be very key to the health of the company, but also to the de-risking of the company going forward."
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/03 10:21:29 (permalink)
    Just to be clear, there are possible "right answers" in my opinion.
    Conflicts of interest are not new, and there are ways to deal with them.

Dr. Pande simply has chosen to pretend that he is somehow exempt.

His statement is nearly identical to the old "what is good for GM is good for America" tone death statement.

He could have said:

yes, there are of course many inherent potentials for conflict of interest and possible exploitation of insider information. In response, Stanford and the PG lab have established the following ethics review board to provide a firewall between my non-profit and for profit activities. My disclosures can be found listed here....the non profit statements and disclosures for PG lab to the IRS are found here...our review board statements and updates are found here...etc. etc. etc.

Of course, the simplest thing would be to turn over directorship of the project to someone who did not have the complex and extensive vertical integration chain of investments and obvious potential to exploit the position for personal profit.

But to say there isn't any reason to do either...well, that falls into the category of just not even making a pretense of caring about ethics.
    Does ethics have a place in research? Is it important for verifying, for the peer review process?

If you don't care about right and wrong, truth and fraud...well, where does that end.??????
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/03 10:39:36 (permalink)
    It begins with Dr Pande being able to focus more on the WU and Projects that are most promising to his investment group. It ends with me and many others walking away from the Folding program until some changes are made.
    MARSTG
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/09 18:17:36 (permalink)
    I guess I am stopping folding for a while till the waters get clear.
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/10 12:48:13 (permalink)
    Well, someone(it was not me) asked the FF about the drop from 46 last year at this time to 17.5 PFLOPS today.
    https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28812

the first answer was the discontinuation of ps3 (retired as of November 6, 2012)
    also the end of bigadv was cited as a possibility (January 31, 2015)

I pointed out that the high last year at this time occurred well after those two events.
    I supplied the graph that shows the dates and exact numbers.
    Folding@Home Non-Official Statistics

This post was rejected by the censors (IDK why, only listed facts without any commentary)

Others pointed out that the rise and fall by over 30 PFLOPS was obviously attributable to undisclosed corporate and or institutional donors.

Bruce to his credit said that while that may well be the case, there is no way to know, and(not to his credit) it doesn't matter anyway.

Well, if you don't know who is donating, and you don't know who has control of the data, and you don't know the connection between undisclosed participants, their association or interests....well, you just really know nothing about the project do you?

Statements of non-profit really don't mean anything if you have no means to verify them.

There is no need to claim I am trying to manufacture a conspiracy theory. The facts are that we don't even have enough information to even start!!!

Things done completely in secret just don't even come close to meeting the standard of open source and non-profit.

Since it is completely secret, we just have no way to even guess if it is on the level.
    post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/05/10 13:18:25
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/10 13:12:52 (permalink)
    More reason for me to not Fold again. 'Barnacle Bruce' has to go for starters. I'd call him a leech but leeches are easily removed while barnacles are securely attached. This man obviously doesn't like being distracted from his employment opportunuties and devote any time giving answers to a bunch of dumb contributors like us. Those forums are better off being staffed by students who are familiar with and active within the Folding program for extra college credits not by self-employed idiots like Bruce.
    drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2715
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/11 03:34:12 (permalink)
    I just want to throw this out here, take it as you will: It is quite common for VC firms to hire experts in many fields to act as BS detectors - Vijay's roll will be to get eyes on a startups claims and using his experience with the Folding@Home program, will gauge how full off BS they are/how likely their 'new groundbreaking technology' will be to work, and advise the VC firm accordingly.

VCs don't get involved with the day to day functions of the companies they invest in UNLESS that company suddenly starts hemorrhaging money - Then the VCs will swoop in and try to salvage their investment so their funds can continue to grow.

The only major red flag I would have seen in Vijay being hired by someone would have been a statement like "I've been hired as the lead researcher by Pharmaco Industries. As a direct result, I've altered the charter for the Folding@Home program to make all of the results and research direct property of Pharmaco Industries."

I may seem naive in my assessment, but I have watched the F@H community reel from crisis to crisis, shedding folders for what, most of the time, ended up being "I'm simply sick of the drama!" and am getting kind of frustrated at it. To my eyes, in this case, there is nothing shady or untoward going on. Vijay was offered a great opportunity and he jumped at it.

That is not to say that I'm not agreeing that something needs to be done with how FF.org is run and what kind of damage THOSE moderators have done to the folding program and community as well, but that is not related to Vijay's new job.

Again, my $0.02. Take it as you will.

d

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/11 07:00:09 (permalink)
    "I've been hired as the lead researcher by Pharmaco Industries. As a direct result, I've altered the charter for the Folding@Home program to make all of the results and research direct property of Pharmaco Industries."

Well, that is indeed a pretty low bar.

But I guess that is where we are with ethics and holding people accountable for avoiding conflicts of interest.

Reminds me of this quotation:

“The only way I can lose this election is if I’m caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy” – Edwin Edwards
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/11 07:13:46 (permalink)
    My biggest gripe is the lack of Moderators which were replaced by Censors who don't answer our questions or address our concerns so much as they lock threads and delete content when they don't want to be bothered. Being self-employed and a volunteer Moderator is a bigger conflict of interest to me especially when you're more interested in your money making ventures and not your responsibilities to the Folding community.
    mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/11 08:35:47 (permalink)
    PS RE:"I've been hired as the lead researcher by Pharmaco Industries....."
    I just started 13107 WU which includes the following :

This project is being done in conjunction with Dr. Anton Sinitskiy of the Pande lab, as well as collaborators at Genentech, Inc.

This project is managed by Dr. Nathaniel Stanley at Stanford University & Genentech, Inc.

So, I will give him,Dr. Nathaniel Stanley, credit for being up front with the affiliation...and letting donors decide if they want to donate to a corporate research project.

If Dr. Pande were as direct and transparent...I would not see a problem.

However, after 3 years of confabulating stats and deception regarding donor participation, I fail to see any inclination on his part to communicate honestly with the donor community.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/11 08:42:19 (permalink)
    So what do we do if we object to this? Should we 'dump' all Project 13107 WU unless we get a cut of the action and profits from it? Just asking, not suggesting anything.
    drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2715
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/11 09:29:47 (permalink)
    So, collaborating with a well known research corporation suddenly negates the potential good the program is doing?

What I want to know is how the inclusion of other researchers is first) A violation of ethics as as been implied several times and b) a conflict of interest.

Again, I'll be likely seen as naive, but without evidence of any wrong doing DIRECTLY by the program (Meaning the staff members of the Folding@Home program, not the volunteers we've had issues with) I'm continuing on supporting the effort as I always have.

I simply do not see an actual issue here. Everything is, so far, 100% above board and really is to be expected - It really was only a matter of time before larger dollar research labs came to the program looking to collaborate. If this collaboration means that at some point corporate dollars flow into the F@H program and bolster their efforts, I'm all for that, so long as the research results belong to the public.

On the other hand, if Pharmaco Industries decided that they wanted to release Pharmaco@Home to do their own corporate research, and don't try to steal work by tricking regular folders to instead do Pharmaco work units, that's up to Pharmaco.  They'd have every right to license the F@H software from Stanford just as Stanford would have every right to license the code to them.

Again, my $0.02 on that matter.

If you disagree with corporations collaborating with F@H? Beyond reaching out and voicing your displeasure to the program, I honestly have no suggestions, but dropping work like that is certainly an option. Just one that is likely to hurt the program as a whole, in my opinion.

d

d

mdk7777777
    Superclocked Member
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/11 09:51:46 (permalink)
    "What I want to know is how the inclusion of other researchers is first) A violation of ethics as as been implied several times and b) a conflict of interest."

When google donated cycles...they were doing just that...making a pure donation of their excess infrastructure.

There was no way possible for them to profit other than goodwill.

The premise that was originally presented to donors was that their donation of their time, equipment, and electricity would "never" be used for profit.

What we have now is collaboration, the potential for profit. If you are donating to a joint Folding/genetec INC. project, it is no longer the original not for profit model.

I don't have a problem if you want to do this and are AWARE of what you are doing.

The Violation is that I don't think any donors are aware of this sea change in the project.

7im recently stated the original non profit statement as iron bond proof that nothing has or will ever change.

Facts prove this is clearly not the case. The premise has changed. I am open to interpretation if that is good or bad.

I think I have been very consistent in stating that I think there is certainly a mechanism for disclosure, there is certainly a way to pursue joint research and corporate sponsored collaboration in an ethical way.

However, simply lying to donors and saying that profit and collaboration does not exist is not that way.

"I'm all for that, so long as the research results belong to the public."

I'm not sure how you can have any idea if this is still the case. You may make that assumption based on prior promises. However, it has been clearly shown that "everyone" from Dr. Pande on down is now working from a different set of premises. It is obvious to me that Dr. Pande crossed the Rubicon some months ago when he took a full time job at a venture capital firm. He rationalized in his mind why he should retain his position at FOLDING. He didn't feel the need to even disclose or explain his actions until asked several months after the fact. So, based on this record, do I feel there is no chance that Genetec INC. doesn't have an exclusive arrangement to have access and joint patent rights to the research they sponsor? It would actually be unusual for them not to.

post edited by mdk7777777 - 2016/05/11 10:17:23
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: non profit conflict 2016/05/11 10:28:45 (permalink)
    Donors should be made aware of these profit making WU and either have the ability to 'opt out' of Folding them or be compensated with stock options. Just my current thoughts.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile