2014/01/30 18:09:08
saer.
kmc234

FYI those anti kink coils belong on the OUTSIDE of the tubing, not inside!  You want to fix that ASAP as mixing metals within a loop will cause blocks to breakdown and deteriorate. Could make the tubing cloudy and can clog your pump/blocks.

Don't let this happen to you!

2014/01/30 20:31:05
chrisdglong
I would never buy something like this without EVGA promising to pay for any ruined parts. I own Corsair on everything, but the graphics card. 
2014/01/30 20:41:40
giltyler
saer.
kmc234

FYI those anti kink coils belong on the OUTSIDE of the tubing, not inside!  You want to fix that ASAP as mixing metals within a loop will cause blocks to breakdown and deteriorate. Could make the tubing cloudy and can clog your pump/blocks.

Don't let this happen to you!

Yuck
Is that the EK block??
2014/02/07 01:24:20
Acorn248
How hard was it to drain the loop? And how did you do it?
2014/02/07 13:05:47
kmc234
I am not an experienced water cooling enthusiast, so a question of difficulty will be subjective.  I didn't think it was very easy because I was afraid of getting coolant on my sensitive electronic parts.  Still, I've done it 3 times now and I only had a tiny spill one time and it didn't fall on anything sensitive.

Here is what I do:
I went to the store (Target?) and purchased a "Flavor Injector", which is just a plastic syringe that comes with a pair of metal needle tips.  I say needle but the diameter of the tip is actually something like 2.5 mm.  The tip wasn't suited to my purpose so I snipped maybe the last cm off of it using the snippy part of a pair of pliers.  So now I've got a syringe that can get into a tight space and suck the water out.  I also purchased some plastic containers to hold coolant.

Because the old pump was poorly designed with the reservoir cap on the SIDE of the reservoir (****), I now had to tilt my Hadron case to the side maybe 60 degrees from vertical.  I propped it up with some books to make sure it didn't slip during this delicate procedure.  I also had to tilt it so that the open panel of the case of facing up  towards me, which meant that if I had a spill it would go right onto the motherboard.  Sadly, this was my only option because of the placement of the reservoir cap.

I opened up the cap, and I used the syringe to drain as much of the coolant as I could get to.  Then I squirted the coolant into one of the plastic bins I purchased.  Following this I closed up the cap, picked up my entire Hadron case and tilted the machine around until some of the coolant was back in the reservoir.  I repeated this several times; this took a while.  I didn't get ALL of the coolant out this way, but I was able to clear most of the lines, allowing me to transplant the pump safely without getting any coolant on conductive surfaces.

I'm going to have to do this one more time because of the metal anti-kink coil inside 2 of the tubes.  I put them in there because the instructions that came with the Hadron case said I should.  However, the poster above you in this thread has really put the fear of me of corrosion for my water blocks, especially the delicate one on the GPU (GTX 780 Hydro Copper).  So I'm going to have to drain the coolant, pull out the metal coils, cut more tubing, replace the tubing, put the plastic anti-kink coils I purchased on the new tubes, hook up everything, put the coolant back in, and then leak test again.  Thankfully, draining the coolant should be A LOT easier and less risky because the reservoir of the pump I purchased (images earlier in thread) allows me to fill / drain the reservoir from the top.

If someone had told me how much work this would end up being before I started, I'm not sure I would have tried to water cool my system.  I think, knowing what I know now, I would have custom purchased all the parts of my loop instead of buying the kit.  That would have allowed me to make sure everything was compatible, put a drain fitting on the lowest tube, and really made maintenance a lot easier.
2014/02/07 13:23:17
Jfeil
There's a much easier way to drain your system.  With the case sitting upright on the edge of a table or countertop, stick the edge of a large funnel as far as you can under the graphics card with a large bowl underneath it.  Now slowly unscrew one of the plugs on the underside of the GPU waterblock and let her drain.  Tilt the system toward the funnel slightly to get as much as out can out of the GPU block.  Plug it back up, wipe off any drips, and pick up the case and tilt it back and forth in every direction (even upside down).  This gets what liquid is left hiding in the radiator and other components to drain down farther (GPU block being the lowest point).  Again, drain it into the funnel.  You may have to repeat this process a couple times, but if you didn't install a drain tube on your loop, this is by far the easiest and safest way to do it.
2014/02/07 14:30:44
kmc234
Hi Jfeil,

Thanks for your suggestion.  Yes, I had immediately considered using one of the end caps on the bottom of the graphics card as a drain port.  The reason I did not is because I didn't know the viscosity of the coolant; I imagined it would be like unscrewing the joint underneath a sink.  Fluid would start oozing out of the unsealed screw, and I didn't know if it would start running along the bottom of the graphics card towards the motherboard.  I suppose I could tilt the machine a little bit towards the table edge so that gravity would encourage the fluid to run away from the motherboard.  I had actually purchased a medium-sized funnel expressly to carry out the procedure you outlined.

In the end, I still went with the syringe because then I would be 100% sure I wouldn't leak even a single drop of fluid onto a conductive surface.  But you're right I think; even if I did spill some coolant I could just dab it up with a paper towel and wait 24 hours to ensure everything was dry before plugging in the power again.

Acorn248, of course I detached the power from the case before doing anything related to the fluid lines.  I didn't mention it earlier as a step because I thought it would be obvious.
2014/02/08 00:33:10
Acorn248
Ok thank you, no GPU water block so your original comment helped me out a lot.  
2014/02/26 11:09:26
Juli3us
Hmm not pleased to read this, since I was almost ordering hardon hydro + waterkit and it will be my.first watercooling computer so I was happy when I found the evga kit since its all completed and made for the case... But what now? What's the name or size of your new pump? And did u need to replace anything else,? Is it worth buying the kit? Please advice me
2014/02/26 11:09:29
Juli3us
Hmm not pleased to read this, since I was almost ordering hardon hydro + waterkit and it will be my.first watercooling computer so I was happy when I found the evga kit since its all completed and made for the case... But what now? What's the name or size of your new pump? And did u need to replace anything else,? Is it worth buying the kit? Please advice me

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account