EVGA

is it ok to run the radiator fans on my EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID through the MB

Author
kulviks
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/04/12 11:31:25 (permalink)
Hi guys, i know this might be a stupid question, and ive seen pictures of other setups doing this, but i really just wanted to be 100% sure, before changing anything
So is it 100% ok to unplug the radiator fan from the GFX power and run it through the motherboard, perhaps with a second fan, or some other Noctua fans or something?

Would love if some EVGA people could post an answer :)

PS. Loving this Card, really hope this trend of making hybrid cards picks up, or even better making some versions with AIO coolers instead of still cooling the RAM with air, but other than that, its awsome, i love these low temps, with out having to mess with a custom loop for my GFX :D

Kind Regards
Dennis Andreasen

5 Replies Related Threads

z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: is it ok to run the radiator fans on my EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID through the MB 2016/04/12 11:37:09 (permalink)
    I think one possible problem could be that it won't crank up the fan speed based on GPU temps if you run it through the motherboard (unless the motherboard has some option to adjust fan speed based on GPU temps) so you'll likely have to manually set it. I'm guessing that unless you set the fan to a very low speed, temps are going to still be better than an air cooler however.

As for full coverage AIO, I recall there was a request for that when the first watercooled cards from EVGA was released (they weren't called Hydro-copper at the time, going full copper instead of copper/aluminum was another feedback based changed. So it's possible that might change in the future as it did with the watercooler.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: is it ok to run the radiator fans on my EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID through the MB 2016/04/12 11:37:42 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum kulviks

As long as you keep the original fan in case you need warranty support you will be fine.
    Their are a lot of Threads that show what users have done with their cards.
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti!            
    Can The GeForce GTX 980 HYBRID Support Two Fans with a Y-Adaptor?
    Titan X and 980 hybrid cooler official thread   
    980 Ti Hybrid - Fan Control   
    GeForce GTX 980 HYBRID! 
    GTX 980 Ti Hybrid Radiator Location 
    Cannot find the 980Ti Hybrid's radiator fan's specs 
    is it ok to run the radiator fans on my EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID through the MB 

More Searches
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/04/12 11:48:34

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

kulviks
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: is it ok to run the radiator fans on my EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID through the MB 2016/04/12 11:46:05 (permalink)
    Thanks, im aware of the possible problems with controlling the fans through the MB, but i was simply planning on using some low noise fans and run them as high as i can as long as they dont make to much noise, ive never liked the setup where the fans turn almost off during idle, so i always keep mine running as fast as i can, within acceptable noise levels :) i just wanted to hear from some officials that it woulden mess with the card when it suddenly had no radiator fan to control :)
    fragility_V1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 940
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: is it ok to run the radiator fans on my EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID through the MB 2016/04/28 12:50:30 (permalink)
    Can you control the case fans through Speedfan monitoring the GPU temp?  I just got my Phanteks 120mm rad fan and was going to try to set it up that way tonight.
    toyking22
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1169
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: is it ok to run the radiator fans on my EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID through the MB 2016/04/29 14:35:40 (permalink)
    z999z3mystorys
    I think one possible problem could be that it won't crank up the fan speed based on GPU temps if you run it through the motherboard (unless the motherboard has some option to adjust fan speed based on GPU temps) so you'll likely have to manually set it. I'm guessing that unless you set the fan to a very low speed, temps are going to still be better than an air cooler however.

As for full coverage AIO, I recall there was a request for that when the first watercooled cards from EVGA was released (they weren't called Hydro-copper at the time, going full copper instead of copper/aluminum was another feedback based changed. So it's possible that might change in the future as it did with the watercooler.

my kraken x61 set up makes it to where i can make the fans go up with gpu tems, 

Attached Image(s)

Cpu= I7-9700k
    Cpu cooler= Nzxt Kraken x62
    GPU= Evga Hybrid 2080 ti
    Motherboard= Asus Prime Z390 a (dont recommend)
    Ram=G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB
    Ssd/Hdd Samsung 970 pro 2T / Intel 660 1t
    Monitor= Gigabyte M28U 144Hz 28" 4K
    Power Supply= EVGA SuperNOVA 850 PQ 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile