EVGA

help with new buid(for gtx 780 classified)

Author
sam_816
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/09/15 11:17:57 (permalink)
Hey all,
my first post.
I am planing to build a small form factor gaming pc.
here are the parts i have selected so far.
MoBo- Asus Rog maximus vi Gene
RAM- corsair vengeance 4x4Gb
GPU- shiny new Gtx 780 Classified
now, i really like bitfenix phenom matx case because
     1. of its small, compact, minimalistic style &
     2. of no slots for drive bays as i am not going to have a disc drive and most of the other cases have these slots that ruin the look for me.
due to small space in phenom the airflow management is difficult and this is where i need help.
i was wondering if this would be enough for the build as it will save some space and i can buy to further improve space management.
 Cpu- looking to get i7 4770k or i5 3690k depending on power avaialable for the cpu.
also, i am not going to play games on higher resolutions. i have a 720p plasma TV but i want all the other settings on high or maximum.
Suggestions about other cases are welcome but in my country the options are limited.
If any of you have this case please share your build pics. 

:)

7 Replies Related Threads

dave851
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1696
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: help with new buid(for gtx 780 classified) 2014/09/15 12:04:26 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums!

The only concern I would have about that build is that the ACX cooler will dump a fair amount of heat into that small case, but honestly that case looks to have quite good airflow for a m-atx case. Do you plan on running something like a cosair h80 for the cpu or a normal air cooler with the cpu? If possible getting a blower type cooler to exhaust heat out of the case would help. Definitively put some nice case fans in all slots to help the airflow.
    sam_816
    Re: help with new buid(for gtx 780 classified) 2014/09/15 13:01:00 (permalink)
    thank you for your reply.
    For the cpu i am looking to use corsair h80 liqued cooler(if budget allows) and put it on one of the fan mount at bottom or rear .
    i am planning to put 2 fans on top to help gpu fans suck in good amount of cool air from top. i am not sure about psu and psu fan orientation.
    any idea if 600w gold rated sfx psu by silverstone will be good enough?
    dave851
    FTW Member
    Re: help with new buid(for gtx 780 classified) 2014/09/15 13:51:30 (permalink)
    Well I would really suggest the h80 if possible because you can mount the fan and rad to push the heat outside of the case, I fear that if the cpu and gpu are both dumping heat into that small of a case there might be problems. A 600w power supply would be cutting it close and with the overclock of the classified models, a little to close for me personally because I like to have ~150w headroom. Nvidia says the reference gtx 780 will use ~250w, and the card you have has a factory overclock which can drive up the power use. Also if these parts have not yet been bought, the gtx 980 should be released soon, and if the rumors are true it will have about the same performance as a 780ti but consume less power then then even the 780 and may fit on a 600w power supply. 
    sam_816
    Re: help with new buid(for gtx 780 classified) 2014/09/15 15:36:48 (permalink)
    Yes, with phenom either the cpu or the gpu should be liquid cooled. And since it can't fit 240mm rad; CPU cooler is the only option :/
    Would you suggest h90( with 14 mm fan) over h80( with 12mm fan) they are similar in price here.h80i is costlier than both.
    I have already bought the gpu, mobo, ram, 512gb Toshiba ssd & peripherals like mouse keyboard etc.
    I need to buy cpu, psu, cpu cooler n case. I think I will go for a semi/fully modular 750W psu. I can choose any lga 1150 cpu without worrying about its tdp. :)
    Btw I just saw cooler master n200 case n I like it too. Won't fit into my home's aesthetics as nicely but it can fit 2 240mm rads for future expansion.
    Any thoughts on this?
    sam_816
    Re: help with new buid(for gtx 780 classified) 2014/09/15 15:43:53 (permalink)
    I forgot to ask another thing. Can you help me understand how acx cooler on 780 works? I know that in the case of a psu intakes the air with the help of the fan and exhausts from one of the sides. Will the acx fans intake the air or throw away? Depending on that h how should the fans be aligned on the top panel? Intake or exhaust.
    dave851
    FTW Member
    Re: help with new buid(for gtx 780 classified) 2014/09/15 17:53:21 (permalink)
    Well if its like the old asus cooler that I had, what it will do is "pull" air into the card, such that the air will flow into the face of card and out of the sides. Little hard to visualize hope you got it. The only big differences between the h80 and h80i is that the h80i comes with a better fan and software(corsair link) to control the fan. One thing I will say about 120mm vs 140mm is that there are a lot more 120mm fans out there. What you can do get the h80, see how it works, and you could always go find a better 120mm fan for it to help lower the temps. In terms of the fan setup for the phenom, I would do intake at the top and bottom of the case and exhaust on the rear to start, then maybe try intake for the back and bottom and exhaust out the top. In terms of which case you pick, pick the one you like as there really doesn't seem to be major differences between the two other then one can fit a 240mm rad. How big of a cooler you want is up to you, if you plan to be overclocking a lot, the bigger the better.
    sam_816
    Re: help with new buid(for gtx 780 classified) 2014/09/15 22:11:17 (permalink)
    dave851
    Well if its like the old asus cooler that I had, what it will do is "pull" air into the card, such that the air will flow into the face of card and out of the sides. Little hard to visualize hope you got it.
    yes, i understand what you are saying.

so, looking at this sample pic, i'd say the fans will be facing upwards and sucking in air so the top fans should be mounted to bring in air to help the card.
    The only big differences between the h80 and h80i is that the h80i comes with a better fan and software(corsair link) to control the fan. One thing I will say about 120mm vs 140mm is that there are a lot more 120mm fans out there. What you can do get the h80, see how it works, and you could always go find a better 120mm fan for it to help lower the temps.
    i like your suggestion, thank you. will try to look for h80i else stick with h80 and find a better fan.
     In terms of the fan setup for the phenom, I would do intake at the top and bottom of the case and exhaust on the rear to start,rear will be used for h80 rad fan and front will be covered by psu fan. the psu will exhaust hot air to the bottom. also, there are no dust filters on the bottom so, they will be used for exhaust. which is little strange as hot air will rise up then maybe try intake for the back and bottom and exhaust out the top.
    In terms of which case you pick, pick the one you like as there really doesn't seem to be major differences between the two other then one can fit a 240mm rad. N200 can fit 2 rads, one in front with push-pull config and one at the top. but it doesn't look as nice as phenom  How big of a cooler you want is up to you, if you plan to be overclocking a lot, the bigger the better.
    this card should provide desirable performance(720p with high settings) for games(most of them) launched by mid of 2015 so, overclocking is not on the priority list. may be then i'll add a water block and dive into overclocking.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile