Answeredgaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Author
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 04:13:05 (permalink)
velo-x
he offers him brand new cards because he is in the 30 day purchase window. people need to read or think what they read.

i saw that later, sorry for my misleading
evgacustomer01
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 04:39:24 (permalink)
I'd like to know 2 things:
1. if you RMA your card, do you get the full Thermalmod? In Germany, too? I'm asking because the EVGA page only states that they will install the bios update for you.
2. even with full Thermalmod in a RMA'd card, you still might get faulty Ram pads?

So basically EVGA has no quality control in production and is missing 2 important thermal pads (backplate and power) and 1 doesn't fit (ram). And when you RMA your card you get the 2 missing pads, but since there is still no quality control, the Ram pad still doesn't get fixed.

Is this a nightmare or is this actually happening?
HawkM1
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 10:57:55 (permalink)
Is the 1070 affected by this also?
luckyirishlad
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 11:18:35 (permalink)

I can confirm with the OP & the reddit post ..
Done 3 cards all ready for clients

All three varied from the memory that where not in contact with the T pads to the pcb plate this is a serious issue more so the memory near the VRM's.

The band aid from evga does not address this.

So its 2 things either the t pads are too thin ..as i have had to replace all 3 cards using thicker ones or could be the whole design of the pcb plate not fitting / clamping as intended.

I use Thermal strips and cut to size...

So you want good quality thermal pads or strips

On the evga card there 1mm thickness on the Memory and most are not touching the plate so you can use 1.5mm thick but i went for 2mm thickness yes the thicker they are there is a cost of being less efficient but its far better than an air gap.. so 1.5 or 2mm if you want

The Vrm strip is about 7mm wide and 110mm long 1.5 mm thick
As these are touching the pads mainly due the the vrms being slightly higher and the pad is thicker.. so no need to replace i used what was there already...

I also did what EVGA have advised to do too a strip above the chokes and above the vrms above the pcb base plate and the pad on the rear of the pcb behind the back plate ...

TAKE NOTE

When using Thermal pads make sure you take the thin plastic protective film off before applying otherwise you will run into issues...if i remember right recently didn't one manufacture forget to do this on a line of cards ...

So all in all its not nice having to finish off the manufacturers design and not being paid doing this as i have to keep my clients happy rather than them messing around with RMA...

TBH and as stated in another post

If it was me

As i am sure consumer laws extend further for a product that as design defects being badly designed so forth which this is mainly the pcb plate not clamping down enough or the wrong thickness of t pads used either way its a poor design.

So surly there must be some law emplace for such things regardless of the shop 30 day window ..at the end of the day the resale value of a EVGA 1000 series cards are sure going to be effected which is not good is it ....

So

1. return for full refund with no questions asked ...which i think one is entitled too on the grounds of poor / bad design faulty product even after the 30 day period

Or

2.return card rma at no cost and receive a brand new card with pads and new bios basically as the card should have been released in the 1st place unused with the fixes made (I will be disgraced to find out there sending back used refurbishing cards back unacceptable)

Or

3. apply the fixes yourself but again the money paid for these cards its crazy peeps are having to complete the design for them to work as they should ...again reminds me of this

post edited by luckyirishlad - 2016/11/03 11:53:41
DSP1
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 11:36:16 (permalink)
They are sending out refurbished cards for older than 30 days.

HungryHamster
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 14:41:24 (permalink)
luckyirishlad

I can confirm with the OP & the reddit post ..
Done 3 cards all ready for clients

All three varied from the memory that where not in contact with the T pads to the pcb plate this is a serious issue more so the memory near the VRM's.

The band aid from evga does not address this.

So its 2 things either the t pads are too thin ..as i have had to replace all 3 cards using thicker ones or could be the whole design of the pcb plate not fitting / clamping as intended.

I use Thermal strips and cut to size...

So you want good quality thermal pads or strips

On the evga card there 1mm thickness on the Memory and most are not touching the plate so you can use 1.5mm thick but i went for 2mm thickness yes the thicker they are there is a cost of being less efficient but its far better than an air gap.. so 1.5 or 2mm if you want

The Vrm strip is about 7mm wide and 110mm long 1.5 mm thick
As these are touching the pads mainly due the the vrms being slightly higher and the pad is thicker.. so no need to replace i used what was there already...

I also did what EVGA have advised to do too a strip above the chokes and above the vrms above the pcb base plate and the pad on the rear of the pcb behind the back plate ...

TAKE NOTE

When using Thermal pads make sure you take the thin plastic protective film off before applying otherwise you will run into issues...if i remember right recently didn't one manufacture forget to do this on a line of cards ...

So all in all its not nice having to finish off the manufacturers design and not being paid doing this as i have to keep my clients happy rather than them messing around with RMA...

TBH and as stated in another post

If it was me

As i am sure consumer laws extend further for a product that as design defects being badly designed so forth which this is mainly the pcb plate not clamping down enough or the wrong thickness of t pads used either way its a poor design.

So surly there must be some law emplace for such things regardless of the shop 30 day window ..at the end of the day the resale value of a EVGA 1000 series cards are sure going to be effected which is not good is it ....

So

1. return for full refund with no questions asked ...which i think one is entitled too on the grounds of poor / bad design faulty product even after the 30 day period

Or

2.return card rma at no cost and receive a brand new card with pads and new bios basically as the card should have been released in the 1st place unused with the fixes made (I will be disgraced to find out there sending back used refurbishing cards back unacceptable)

Or

3. apply the fixes yourself but again the money paid for these cards its crazy peeps are having to complete the design for them to work as they should ...again reminds me of this

Thanks for the detailed post.

To be clear, what do I need to do to have these cards fixed? I already ordered the free thermal pads, but now I might need to buy more thermal pads that are 2mm thick because it's likely the memory thermal pads are not touching?
evgacustomer01
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 14:48:30 (permalink)
@ HungryHamster
Yes, you need to fix the RAM pads yourself and buy the correct pads yourself too. As of right now, EVGA has not issued any press release concerning the faulty RAM pads and people who received the Thermalmod from EVGA only got 2 pads for the backplate and the frontplate. No replacement for faulty RAM pads are included. It seems they need to redo the entire Thermalmod, because they somehow screwed up their fix too.  :(
HungryHamster
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 17:29:28 (permalink)
evgacustomer01
@ HungryHamster
Yes, you need to fix the RAM pads yourself and buy the correct pads yourself too. As of right now, EVGA has not issued any press release concerning the faulty RAM pads and people who received the Thermalmod from EVGA only got 2 pads for the backplate and the frontplate. No replacement for faulty RAM pads are included. It seems they need to redo the entire Thermalmod, because they somehow screwed up their fix too.  :(

Yes, I agree. EVGA screwed up AGAIN by not acknowledging how widespread of an issue the RAM pad gaps is.

My question is about what size/brand of thermal pads I need to buy to fix the RAM pads not touching and how many are needed? 
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 21:21:29 (permalink)
i highly suggest change the stock vrm pad too, you should use thicker pad for vrm as well. if you check other gpu reviews, you can find that those vrm pads have got seriously marks of fully contact. so thicker pad is recommended. dont need to care about the cooling plate will be bent, let it bent and do the job right is better than keep it untouched but bake the vrm and vram.
relevance
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/03 23:05:35 (permalink)
well, while installing the thermal pad that EVGA provided, I decided to check the VRAM contact on thermal pads with mid-plate. and all VRAMs are firmly marking indentation on each pads so I'm happy with it. also updated the bios for more aggressive fan control, now fans seem to be ON the whole time @ minimum of 30%. good news is my core temp went from 42C to 34C. I couldn't really tell the noise differences. overall I'm very happy with the mod. just waiting for hydro copper kit for my FTW now..

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/04 02:33:45 (permalink)
relevance
well, while installing the thermal pad that EVGA provided, I decided to check the VRAM contact on thermal pads with mid-plate. and all VRAMs are firmly marking indentation on each pads so I'm happy with it. also updated the bios for more aggressive fan control, now fans seem to be ON the whole time @ minimum of 30%. good news is my core temp went from 42C to 34C. I couldn't really tell the noise differences. overall I'm very happy with the mod. just waiting for hydro copper kit for my FTW now..

if your case is in firmly indentation then it is good.
but i see someone pic showing it is only marginal indentation.
indentation needs to be deep to ensure there is perfect contact, if the stock pads only make contact with the surface of the vram chips and the stock pads seem to be no downward pressure at all then it is problematic.
PhantomApollyon
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 212
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/04 08:43:37 (permalink)
Does anyone have the actual measurements of the memory chips themselves? I want to make sure I'm getting the correct amount of thermal pad if I end up needing to replace all of them.

14mm x 14mm x 9mm maybe?
post edited by PhantomApollyon - 2016/11/04 09:16:48

ASUS Maximus z690 Hero // i9 12900K // 4090 FE // 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 // EVGA 1600 T2
fightinfilipino
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/04 09:05:35 (permalink)
wait hold on a sec.

OP modded the plate completely out of spec, and is now complaining that the pads don't work? and i thought i've seen it all. of course they don't work anymore, you ground out new holes in the plate and likely changed the way the plate secures to the PCB! you likely warped the plate as well! 

and i entirely suspect the other two posters dogpiling on the OP are not real either.

EVGA has a warranty and exchange process. and a good one. 

i swear, no wonder JayTwoCentz was pissed, so much baseless whining.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2016/11/04 12:20:59
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: gaps between vram chips and the stock thermal pads on the midplate 2016/11/04 09:29:22 (permalink)
fightinfilipino
wait hold on a sec.

OP modded the plate completely out of spec, and is now complaining that the pads don't work? and i thought i've seen it all. of course they don't work anymore, you ground out new holes in the plate and likely changed the way the plate secures to the PCB! you likely warped the plate as well! 

and i entirely suspect the other two posters dogpiling on the OP are not real either.

ffs EVGA has a warranty and exchange process. and a good one. 

i swear, no wonder JayTwoCentz was pissed, so much baseless whining.

This Alone Killed the Warranty.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/11/04 09:48:13

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 10:07:18 (permalink)
TPI_The_Axeman
I've just pulled apart my replacement FTW 1080 and taken some photos, as i thought I saw a gap between memory chip and thermal pad.

Here it is, thermal pads are clean and unblemished by chip indents. 

Looks like I'll be submitting another RMA....

It also looks like when you pulled off the Mid Plate the suction pulling of that bottom Left vRam sucked off any indentation and pulled the Thermal Pad upwards and that is why you see no indentation on that Thermal Pad.
This Plate also looks too clean as if it sat out for a while in the sun or very warm place.
The Height or thickness of that Thermal Pad looks 2 times that of the other ones.

Both TPI_The_Axeman and the OP Should have Posted Photos of the Card showing the vRam.
This way we could all see what markings that were on them before you cleaned then up.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/11/04 10:21:50

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 11:10:31 (permalink)
like i said before, i could have hidden my mod and post the gap photo only. 
not just me saying there are gaps between stock pads and vram chips. and i am not the first one at this forums to report this with photo.

this photo is interesting. the middle one has a gap. but the rest seems contacted. but this type of contact is not enough. it is marginal contact. without seriously downward pressure from the pad to the vram chip, i highly doubt there is perfect contact and the cooling performance. unless evga is using some kind of new and unique pads which are much more powerful than other pads that have remarkable indentation to show pads are perfectly contacted with vram and vrm.

http://forums.evga.com/Up...date-m2573491-p14.aspx

if this problem affects only few ppl, evga should have offered a brand new card for rma.
because this problem is 100% evga qc fault.
of course i have modded the plate, you can blame this problem to me, and evga can simply cancel my warranty.  evga, just please take a good look to other's report and pics to this bad contact problem, find the root cause and fix this whole mess, with little respect to these victims.

i am already tired to this contact problem.

post edited by acxcoolerssuck - 2016/11/04 11:27:18
Enosoma
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 223
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 11:17:51 (permalink)
I'm sure it doesn't help that your GPU is smashed up against your PSU ventilation

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 11:24:11 (permalink)
Enosoma
I'm sure it doesn't help that your GPU is smashed up against your PSU ventilation

Where is this Photo at?

Scott_W
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 12:34:36 (permalink)
It is odd that some people have "gaps" and others don't with the same model card. I can only conclude that there is some variation in the parts.... Either different thickness thermal pads, or different thickness VRAMs, or different length standoffs resulting in a "mixed" part supply at the factories, so some cards are fine and others have gaps.

I just took a photo of my 1080FTW. This card is about 6 weeks old, and has never been disassembled. There are clearly gaps between the VRAM and the thermal pads. No problems so far, but obviously those thermal pads aren't doing their job when they aren't touching the VRAMs.

Attached Image(s)

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 12:37:07 (permalink)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHemB3_thFc
here is a video of jayztwocents showing his card about few ppl and my claim to the contact probem, started from 8:24 and you can jump to 15:00 to see the result.

one thing i want to point out, according to micron data sheet about the gddr5 vram chip, temp of vram up to 95c is fine. so passive cooling for vram is fine. but if there is a gap between the vram and the stock pad, this mean most of the airflow are blocked by the cooling plate and it is even harder for vram to be passively cooled. if serious overclocking on vram, during gaming or even benchmarking once the vrams reach 95c then it will fail.
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 12:40:33 (permalink)
Scott_W
It is odd that some people have "gaps" and others don't with the same model card. I can only conclude that there is some variation in the parts.... Either different thickness thermal pads, or different thickness VRAMs, or different length standoffs resulting in a "mixed" part supply at the factories, so some cards are fine and others have gaps.

I just took a photo of my 1080FTW. This card is about 6 weeks old, and has never been disassembled. There are clearly gaps between the VRAM and the thermal pads. No problems so far, but obviously those thermal pads aren't doing their job when they aren't touching the VRAMs.

dont need to post photo anymore dude. 
i highly suggest you stop overclock on vram now and go buy at least 1.5mm thick pads for vram and replace them by yourself.  also, if i were you i will also change the stock vrm pads too, of course buy thicker one, 2mm~2.5mm should be fine as someone said the stock vrm pad is 1.5mm thick.
pawelblyskal
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 12:51:04 (permalink)
Just checked a GTX1070. Same issue gaps between the thermal pad and VRAM chips. They clearly used the wrong pad thickness.
luckyirishlad
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 14:26:43 (permalink)
pawelblyskal
Just checked a GTX1070. Same issue gaps between the thermal pad and VRAM chips. They clearly used the wrong pad thickness.

Yes as i stated before done 3 evga cards thus far all had gaps ...

And its very strange some are worse than others ....I suspect the one in the jay2cents vid was a later rev build with thicker pads i bet ...

All in all this whole evga saga as gone from bad to worse

On a brighter note there is a new EVGA promo and tbh i am kind of tempted seems a great deal for being stuck inside keeping warm and stuffing one's face during the cold winter months ...

post edited by luckyirishlad - 2016/11/04 14:35:50
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 14:30:35 (permalink)
Scott_W

In the Master Thread about this issue users were told that they Should RMA their cards if they have a gap or two on their card.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 14:31:33 (permalink)
pawelblyskal

Are you going to post images of the three cards or did you just return the cards or RMA the Cards?

Scott_W
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 15:33:02 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Scott_W

In the Master Thread about this issue users were told that they Should RMA their cards if they have a gap or two on their card.

Well, an RMA is certainly one option.  Or, I could just replace the pads myself, which (to me) is less hassle than an RMA.  Or I could install a Hybrid kit. 

Or....  I could just ignore it.   I have had the card about 7 weeks, pushed it pretty hard, and it has performed flawlessly.  No lockups, no artifacts, no reboots, no black screens.  Those gaps -- at least with my usage, my fan curve, my case fans and my temps -- has not caused any failure yet.

It is certainly possible the chips may be getting hotter than desired, and that may reduce their lifespan.  If I was planning to keep the card beyond the 3-year warranty, that might worry me.  But I typically upgrade every 18-24 months, and I don't sell my old boards.  So why do a preemptive RMA now, when it is working perfectly?   If it eventually fails, I can always RMA it if and when that happens.

So for me, ignoring the gaps might be the best choice.  But that might not be my advice to someone who plans to use their card beyond the warranty expiration.  Since there is a question of "reduced life", it might be best to address the problem NOW, one way or another.
post edited by Scott_W - 2016/11/04 15:36:26
BRooDJeRo
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 16:16:51 (permalink)
The VRAM chip gaps can also be caused by different factors or a combination.
Variety in height of the spacers, torque of the screws as well as the order in which screws need a specific amount of torque. For instance step by step tightening crossed from the center to outside in stages of different torques. Or even different brands of chips. (micron/samsung)
This is well known in other industries too where surfaces need to have a tight fit to keep fluids in, have it gas tight or also for cooling purposes.
This kind of all goes out of the window though when the PCB has significant wobble, is too soft or is curved. This can be different with individual cases.
When you use thicker cooling pads than specified you might causing a new problem somewhere else too.
post edited by BRooDJeRo - 2016/11/05 08:29:26
pawelblyskal
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 17:26:41 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
pawelblyskal

Are you going to post images of the three cards or did you just return the cards or RMA the Cards?

Im providing information to the community on the unit. You can verify my ownership as I have registered the videocard. Seems like every mod on this forum is trying to down play multiple major issues with these new cards.
hapkiman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 17:55:42 (permalink)
Anyone have advice on what thermal pads to get for the VRAM?  And where to get them?

Intel Core i9-9900k, Corsair H115i Platinum RGB, 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 @3466MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC2 Ultra, MSI MEG Z390 ACE, Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, WDHDD 2TB, Dell P2715Q 4K/UHD @60Hz, Samsung T27A300 1080p @60Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fractal Design Define R6 with x3 Corsair 140mm ML fans, SeaSonicXP2 860w, Corsair K70 RGB MK2, SteelSeries Rival 600, Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers.
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate 2016/11/04 18:32:01 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby acxcoolerssuck 2016/11/04 21:58:59
Starting next week we will ship thermal grease, memory thermal pads, along with PWM thermal pads in the package. It is recommended to remove the existing grease on GPU and memory pads and apply the new ones. For any customers that did not receive memory thermal pads, please contact us so we can arrange it.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile