Hmm now i r pissed at LG ><

Author
Nex_Lupus
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12267
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 31
2011/01/06 06:45:55 (permalink)
i just until i get my 3 dell u2410s am using a samsung with a 5ms reaction time...... my 42" was listed with a 2.6ms which seems to be a load of BULL

im doing much better now in fps's..... meaning it was no neurological issue or me just losing mah mojo

IT WAS LG who made me believe they were teh uber...

2.6 probally is 26ms in reality...

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67306
STOP PIRACY - Sorry but pirates stole the link

14 Replies Related Threads

bucyrus5000
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3153
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 06:50:28 (permalink)
    That was fast. Can we see a pic of the new setup?

Rant about what Grinds Your Gears HERE

Need help finding places to shop for computer goods? Find stores HERE and review them.
    Nex_Lupus
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 06:51:21 (permalink)
    its not ready yet atm its a temporary setup

SirMaster
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2321
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 07:31:22 (permalink)
    Response time is only the measure of how fast the pixels change state.  It says absolutely nothing about the input-delay or delay caused by the frame-buffer in the monitor.

The U2410's have about a 24ms input delay (the time it takes the signal to go from the input port to the actual panel).  The LGs may have had more, especially if you had video enhancements and processing turned on.

LG didn't lie about anything, it's just that no companies report on the input delay.  Response time is only going to make things less blurry in very fast motion, not reduce lag any noticeable amount.
    dhemke
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4827
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 08:02:09 (permalink)
    LG, what do I have to say?

32" LG LCD, 3 years old, the menu scrolls all by itself, you CANNOT use it. The Volume bar is ALWAYS on, never leaves the screen. The remote does not work.

Picked this up at the same time as the 5.1 surround sound system, LG again, figure it's best to have a matching set. DVD player died, built into the amp/surround sound, so if you want it fixed, you lose everything.

LG DVD burners, welp, enough said, BenQ on the next one.

I am so disappointed with LG. We have to use an external DVD player to watch movies now, and because the TV menu is screwed, I have to swap the HDMI cable from the converter to the DVD player, as I can't just switch the input source.

I will NEVER buy LG again.

Got some stuff in a plastic box that's makes my screen turn on when I push the button on the front, cool.

I think it's aliens, but I'll have to confirm with voodoo do-er on that.

blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 08:19:26 (permalink)
    I'm sorry to hear that you guys have had bad experiences with LG. They're my favorite brand for HDTV's and the only reason I did not get one this last time around was because I got a deal on a Sony LED that too good to pass up. I've noticed that Samsung and LG use better materials than Sony on their HDTV's though. Dont get mad at a company though because you're trying to use the TV for something it was not designed for. I've tried PC gaming on my LG and Sony, but neither were up to the task as they had horrible screen tearing, probably due to that input lag (both 120hz sets). I believe that the VGA input on the tv is meant for basic computer use and not for PC gaming. I was bummed that I had to go out and buy a monitor but it fixed the problem.

Nex_Lupus
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 08:35:30 (permalink)
    i thought ms represented input lag which represented ghosting

what is a good input time then?

Gakusei
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 388
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 09:01:20 (permalink)
    Huh, I have a LG 42" TV, a LG 19" monitor, LG Washer and Dryer, LG DVD and Surround sound system, and I put a LG DVD-RW in the computer I built for my mom.

And uh, no, I'm not a fanboy. The monitor was great when I bought it, vivid colors, and an impressive 10,000:1 contrast ratio (which was the highest of her day when I bought her without a hefty price tag). Now she looks dull and grey compared to the Dell's 8,000,000:1 contrast ratios (though I believe both my LG and the new Dells use a digital process to obtain higher contrast ratios). Only problem I have is after hours online, there is a 'burn in' of the browser on my monitor. It goes away after I turn her off for 30 minutes or so, and it doesn't show up in games, but it does still bug me. I like perfection, lol.

My TV works absolutely great, no issues. Same with all my other LG products.

Funny though, I didn't buy any of it because of the name, I bought it because of the deals and/or ability to perform better than others at the time of purchase. Just worked out that LG kept coming in first. However, I've heard that LG and Samsung make the best TVs. While I can't confirm that for LG, I am a believer for Samsung, especially having seen their TVs in action. Sharp, vivid, colorful images, nothing like I have ever seen before. I want a Samsung TV now, lol. Not that there is anything wrong with the one I have, but you guys know how it is. Always gotta have the newest, bestest thing. 

Anyway, no issues with LG myself (aside from the slight issue with the monitor). But when I get the money to upgrade, I'm getting Dell Monitors (unless something else better comes out, I wasn't impressed with the Samsung monitors), a Samsung TV... and thats it. Washer and dryer will last me forever (I hope), and a disk burner is a disk burner, so whatever is cheaper at the time I build a new PC, lol.

MSI Z87 G45 | Intel i5 4670K @ 4.0 GHz | 32 GB 1866 G-Skill RAM | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 1TB 850 EVO | Dell U2718Q & Dell P2715Q | Still on Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

Planned Upgrades:
    Samsung 2TB or 4TB SSD
    2nd Dell U2718Q
    Windows 10 Pro
    Alucard666
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6164
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 09:10:14 (permalink)
    Never had a real problem with LG, I've owned several of their TV's and monitors and all have been stellar

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB Crucial Ballistix PRO RGB 3600mhz| ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC | ASUS X570i STRIX | 2TB Sabrent Rockit M.2 SSD| NZXT H1 w Ghost Sheets Mesh Front | Noctua 140mm & 2 40mm | Samsung Odyssey G7 32" | Logitech G Pro Wireless | Logitech G915 | SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless | Logitech G560 RGB Speakers |
    dhemke
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4827
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 09:12:06 (permalink)
    blacksapphire08 
    Dont get mad at a company though because you're trying to use the TV for something it was not designed for. 

I've always used my TV as a TV, my DVD player/surround sound all-in-one as nothing more than what they were designed to do.

Just too bad they weren't designed to do those tasks for more than 2 years.

Got some stuff in a plastic box that's makes my screen turn on when I push the button on the front, cool.

I think it's aliens, but I'll have to confirm with voodoo do-er on that.

SirMaster
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2321
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 10:03:04 (permalink)
    Nex_Lupus

i thought ms represented input lag which represented ghosting

what is a good input time then?

Well of course the total delay would be the time it takes for the signal to go from your video card to your eyes.

The largest source of delay here is the time it takes for the signal to enter the monitor and go through the image processor (this is typically called input lag).

The next largest source is the response time.

Any other sources are far less than 1ms and undetectable.

A good input lag would be under 33.33ms and a great input lag would be under 16.  This is found by taking 1000ms and dividing it by the frame rate of the monitor.  So 1000/60 = 16.66.

This means that 16.66ms is how long each frame is being displayed on the monitor.

If you have 33.33ms of input delay on your monitor, it means you are seeing 2 frames "behind the action".

If you are under from 16.66 - 33.33 you are seeing ~1 frame behind, and under 16.66, it's less than one frame behind the action.

After this, you can factor in the response time by simply adding it to the total delay since it takes that long for the pixels to physically change color after the panel has received the processed image. Response times are already so small though that they don't really impact a noticeable delay.  They do contribute to motion blur though and that's about it.

I drew this simple illustration to help.

This would be what it's like on a 60hz monitor with a 5ms response time.  You still see each frame for 16.66ms, you just see it 5ms later and see a blur during the transition times.  Blur between 0-5ms, 16.66-21.66ms, 33.33-38.33ms, and 50-55ms.

The problem with some TVs is that they have lots of image processing to improve the picture quality.  They may have 100-200ms or possibly more input lag.  This doesn't matter for video because they also delay the audio by the same amount so it stays in sync.  TVs like this though often have a "game mode" that turns off or minimizes the image processing.  It's made to be used with game consoles and such because of the input delay problem.

Some TVs have extremely fast image processors that add only 10-20ms of delay.  It just depends on how it's built.

The only real way to measure this input delay is to clone the image on the LCD with a CRT and take a picture with a camera with a shutter speed of at least 1/1000th of a second.  CRT's have 0ms input lag.

You take a picture of this clock running with the screens in clone mode.
    http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html

Hope this helps.
    post edited by SirMaster - 2011/01/06 12:37:03
    krane
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5067
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 10:03:39 (permalink)
    I happen to like LG,  I have a LG HDTV and A LG monitor.  I had a monitor go out after almost 3 years sent them an email,  they sent me what looks like a brand new monitor without so much as a scratch and no dead pixals and much better then my old one.
    Did I mention I like LG? 

i7 7800X | EVGA x299 micro |Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
    | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING |Tosiba OCZ-TR150 ssd| EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5 PS  | Win 11 pro 64-bit | Corsair Obsidian 350D
    Affiliate Code: PPZ-BV2-N9LE
    "When it stops being fun,  it's no longer a game"
    Heatware 

Nex_Lupus
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 11:58:50 (permalink)
    Sir master *bows* i thank thee for putting it forth in such a way that was not "DUDE YOUR SUCH A FOOL ****"

you explained it well ill report you for a br i shall!

Also ill go back to liking lg stuff seeing as i should of checked those hidden delays

brcromer
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4503
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 15:51:47 (permalink)
    LG FTW!

seabigbear
    The Polar Rig Master
    • Total Posts : 20424
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re:Hmm now i r pissed at LG >< 2011/01/06 15:58:20 (permalink)
    TV's are not for PC gaming, IMO!

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile