What do you think of this headset?

Author
Zillerz
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2010/12/14 20:42:48 (permalink)
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665774402

I was thinking of getting this. I have some music on my Iphone and would this be good for some minor gaming like counter-strike, crysis 2, etc?

EVGA P67 SLI
Intel Core i5 2500K w/ EVGA SuperClocked Cooler 
16GB Corsair Vengeance 
EVGA GTX760 SC Dual w/ ACX Cooler 
Intel 730 Series SSD 
Corsair TX750W
Logitech G933, Logitech Z623
Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10 Carbon

18 Replies Related Threads

Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12859
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 21:08:33 (permalink)
    Played around with them in best buy, wasn't really impressed. My in ear Razer's do better imo.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

Zillerz
    SSC Member
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 21:14:49 (permalink)
    Halo_003

Played around with them in best buy, wasn't really impressed. My in ear Razer's do better imo.

whats the best you recommend for gaming/music?
    (tigerdirect, futureshop, sony, bestbuy, ncix, IN STORE Only no online)

EVGA P67 SLI
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 
    Intel 730 Series SSD 
    Corsair TX750W
    blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 21:25:00 (permalink)
    I have the Sony noise canceling headphones ($50) and they work great. I tried out other headphones like Dr Dre Beats and IMO they're not worth the money.

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 21:29:15 (permalink)
    I hear the logitech G35 is a pretty good headset. I almost purchased that when I was up at bestbuy last year. I ended up getting the Plantronics Gamecom 777's instead. I love em, but I all ready cracked the plastic on the mic, it still works, but i'm just annoyed I broke it... Bad habit of leaving the headset in my chair when walking away for a second and sit on em minutes later.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 21:33:15 (permalink)
    Zillerz

Halo_003

Hmm well I can only give an opinion on what I've used..

Ipod headphones... Decent overall, very little bass unless you push on them.
    Razer Moray+... Very nice, I love them. I think I paid $40 for them, very well spent. Awesome bass and mids/highs.
    ABS 7.1 Virtual... Pretty good, they died after a yearish. Good bass/mids/highs.
    Klipsch in ear headphones... Same as the Razer's really, except the Razer's do better bass imo.
    Steelseries 7H... Untested, I can't have them till Christmas.
    Beats Solo... Good but not worth the price, about the same levels as my Razer's.
    Beats Studio... Some sweet bass, but again not worth the ridiculous price tag.
    The Sony's you linked... Pretty good mids/highs, I found the bass to be a bit lacking though. I mean the bass levels are good but I prefer a lot of bass so they didn't meet my wants. Noise cancellation however I thought was excellent, couldn't hear anything around me and this was in Best Buy on a Saturday at 3PM. So it's a busy store, people talking, kids screaming etc. I put them on and it was silence. It was nice, and for something like classical music where there's not much bass they are awesome. However once you start pumping a lot of bass I found they didn't perform quite as well.

Overall I've used my Razer's the most so I'm a bit biased towards them. I would recommend shopping around for the next few weeks, try some out in stores and see what you like best. The sony's will serve you well though, And I'd imagine the bass can be better optimized if you play your iPod/iPhone on them.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 21:33:41 (permalink)
    RainStryke

I hear the logitech G35 is a pretty good headset.

Those are very nice and also work with the PS3. I'd buy them if they werent $130.

Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 21:39:42 (permalink)
    G35 is very nice from what I've heard but I haven't had the pleasure of trying them myself.

Zillerz
    SSC Member
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 21:57:21 (permalink)
    Halo_003

Zillerz

Halo_003

Razer Moray+... Very nice, I love them. I think I paid $40 for them, very well spent. Awesome bass and mids/highs.
    ABS 7.1 Virtual... Pretty good, they died after a yearish. Good bass/mids/highs.
    Klipsch in ear headphones... Same as the Razer's really, except the Razer's do better bass imo.
    Beats Solo... Good but not worth the price, about the same levels as my Razer's.
    The Sony's you linked... Pretty good mids/highs, I found the bass to be a bit lacking though. I mean the bass levels are good but I prefer a lot of bass so they didn't meet my wants. Noise cancellation however I thought was excellent, couldn't hear anything around me and this was in Best Buy on a Saturday at 3PM. So it's a busy store, people talking, kids screaming etc. I put them on and it was silence. It was nice, and for something like classical music where there's not much bass they are awesome. However once you start pumping a lot of bass I found they didn't perform quite as well.

Overall I've used my Razer's the most so I'm a bit biased towards them. I would recommend shopping around for the next few weeks, try some out in stores and see what you like best. The sony's will serve you well though, And I'd imagine the bass can be better optimized if you play your iPod/iPhone on them.

problem is, newyears coming up. Mostly no time gotta finish the presents by next week (going on vacation :DDDD)
    From what i've read from you, I think the my sony linked ones, the Razer Morays and ABS 7.1 virtual are the best choices.
    From those three what do you think?
    the bass even on the MDR500 (or the one before mine) was purely amazing to the ears i wanted to buy em there and then
    Never tried anything else except for those Dr. things which are like 300$ but massive noise cancellation. wear it at a concert to kill time faster rofl

EVGA P67 SLI
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 
    Intel 730 Series SSD 
    Corsair TX750W
    Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 22:04:28 (permalink)
    Zillerz

Halo_003

Zillerz

Halo_003

problem is, newyears coming up. Mostly no time gotta finish the presents by next week (going on vacation :DDDD)
    From what i've read from you, I think the my sony linked ones, the Razer Morays and ABS 7.1 virtual are the best choices.
    the bass even on the MDR500 (or the one before mine) was purely amazing to the ears i wanted to buy em there and then
    Never tried anything else except for those Dr. things which are like 300$ but massive noise cancellation. wear it at a concert to kill time faster rofl

Well the ABS 7.1 are USB only, and they didn't last long. So I wouldn't say to get them.

Nice thing is the Moray+(Same as the Moray just has an inline mic) are $60 on Newegg right now, so I would say go ahead and get the Sony's if you don't like them return them and order the Razer's. One thing to remember is I have an extremely high bass preference, so the Sony's are most likely limited by what Best Buy can play for you, whereas I use the bass booster on my iPod.

Linkie: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153052&cm_re=razer_moray%2b-_-26-153-052-_-Product

Zillerz
    SSC Member
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 22:11:01 (permalink)
    Halo_003

Zillerz

Halo_003

Zillerz

Halo_003

Well the ABS 7.1 are USB only, and they didn't last long. So I wouldn't say to get them.

Nice thing is the Moray+(Same as the Moray just has an inline mic) are $60 on Newegg right now, so I would say go ahead and get the Sony's if you don't like them return them and order the Razer's. One thing to remember is I have an extremely high bass preference, so the Sony's are most likely limited by what Best Buy can play for you, whereas I use the bass booster on my iPod.

Linkie: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153052&cm_re=razer_moray%2b-_-26-153-052-_-Product

Thanks for you're help!! I'll look into those and for now get the sony's
    Thanks again and enjoy the holidays :)
    (to everyone that reads this :D)

EVGA P67 SLI
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 
    Intel 730 Series SSD 
    Corsair TX750W
    Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 22:20:10 (permalink)
    Anytime, let me know how it goes and what you think of them!

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/14 22:24:02 (permalink)
    Head-fi seems to suggest that the XB500's are a better set if you want bass and clearer sound.  A lot of what is good for one person depends on what type of music you listen to.  Halo mentioned a lot of headphones/headsets critiquing them on the bass levels.  If you listen to music that uses a lot of bass, then his reviews are pretty spot on.  However, if you don't, then your needs will change.

Take a look at this LONG thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/395231/sony-mdr-xb700-headphones-any-reviews

G35's, imo as I've owned them, are great if you only want bass and you need a good mic.  Otherwise, music and movies were rather blocked out by the massively distorted bass on them.  The best audio quality will be through 3.5mm jacks, rather than USB.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    Zillerz
    SSC Member
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/16 13:41:14 (permalink)
    Hmm... last thing.
    The Sony MDR-XB700
    or Psyko Audio 5.1 PC Gaming Headset? (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_223&item_id=031021)

Which would deliver better music/gaming overall?

EVGA P67 SLI
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 
    Intel 730 Series SSD 
    Corsair TX750W
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/16 13:48:49 (permalink)
    Headphones are a lot like TV's... Even with the same specs they do not all look or sound the same. You are pretty safe in the $150+ range for any gaming needs. Otherwise a HiFi headset made for Studio use is where I go... The problem is finding any set under $350 with a mic on them... Seems like oil and water...

Trying to find one in a single unit is possible, just depends on your ear as far as satisfaction...

And let's be honest for a second.. Not many games have sick sound tracks worthy of to much deep thoughts on this...

P.S. I love my G35's for gaming....

post edited by Afterburner - 2010/12/16 14:10:13

crazy_scout
    • Total Posts : 52
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/16 14:03:39 (permalink)
    I just bought the G35 headset literally yesterday, and they were a major improvement over my Fatal1ty Pro Gaming Headset.

It seems as though it is noise canceling gives good bass and has great mids/highs. Its a good buy for the price, and you might want to check them out later on.

Overall they are like 8/10 for me.
    klutzy
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 405
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/16 14:14:27 (permalink)
    I got the Dr. Dre Studio headset for $75 because of a small scratch on the outer plastic of the head piece.  They are great headphones, but honestly I wouldn't have purchased them for the original price.  If you got the cash to spend though, they are great. 

jeffro66
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6912
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/16 14:33:15 (permalink)
    definetly check sennheiser headphones there great love mine there these,i've had them for 2 years they still look and sound like new sound very good clear and noise canceling,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Headphones+and+Accessories-_-Sennheiser+Electronic+corp.-_-26106328

case;Phanteks Enthoo 719 High Performance Full Tower  i9-12900ks MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI kingston fury beast 64gig rgb ddr5
     lian li 360b galahad aio
     ,Nvidia RTX4090 FE
    ,super flower 1000 platinium power supply,wd black M.2 2TB NVMe,windows11 -LG ultragear 38 inch ips monitor 
    Zillerz
    SSC Member
    Re:What do you think of this headset? 2010/12/16 16:15:28 (permalink)
    jeffro66

definetly check sennheiser headphones there great love mine there these,i've had them for 2 years they still look and sound like new sound very good clear and noise canceling,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Headphones+and+Accessories-_-Sennheiser+Electronic+corp.-_-26106328

they look great but none of them are in my retail stores (tigerdirect.ca, canadacomputers.com or NCIX.com)
    For now im not sure on the sonys and their small cable but ipod/computer able or the psyko headset and no iphone usage just gaming

EVGA P67 SLI
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 
    Intel 730 Series SSD 
    Corsair TX750W
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile