EVGA

LockedEVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 25
Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18916
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 17:20:16 (permalink)
YerBuddy
Nereus
No I don't own 480's. Again, for the FIFTH time, I posted today because of a certain someone putting someone else down for having an opinion. A few people trying repeatedly to twist it into something else does not change this fact.

I have also posted up right-angled molex solutions for Donta, and linked that mod thread for another user who asked about it prior this last page or two of bs, so cut it with the accusations of me being here to flame.

I will try not to post any further on this, but please, EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion, so don't put others down if you don't happen to agree with them, particularly when your opinion is no more substantiated than theirs. That is what prompted me to comment today, and how this somehow got turned into me being some sort of pariah is just ridiculous.

Holy cow.  All I did was ask if you own some components.  

What I'm trying to gauge is the difference in feelings between those of us who are in the "possible" potential for problems and those that are not.  It's easy to be on one side of the fence or the other depending on your actual stance.  I want to see if my own personal feelings are clouding my perception or not also.  Thanks...you helped me with that a great deal.

Well sorry YB, but in light of the last 2 pages, I was expecting your question to be asked so I could then be told to butt out since it doesn't concern me because I don't own any 480's. As my reply stated, my feelings were about a certain person putting down another's opinion, so it should not be included in your gauging feelings about the melting connector issue. I suspect you realize that already...   

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Ribbons : 72
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 17:28:03 (permalink)
I have a E760 that I ran two GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW cards in and didn't have an issue. Just picked up a B-stock E759 that I have yet to fire up as I need a cpu for it, plus going to water block the video cards for that system. Going to run three vid cards in it, two GTX 465's and a GTX 470. I'm now worried about this setup for my E759 board. :/
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 17:34:28 (permalink)
remenaker
I have two E760 and both have two GTX 480s on them so you know how I Feel about this.
Not to good, so I will have my brother do the MODs and hope for the best.

How long have you been running those rigs for? Is one for folding or something?
I definitely can understand your apprehension, but this issue has happened on what, a dozen boards from what I can tell here, out of how many hundreds or even thousands of boards that have been sold? I've seen posts on here saying EVGA could be responsible for burning houses down, and other posts inferring most of the EVGA mb design staff left because of this etc.. This is nothing but fear-mongering, and clearly it is working.
Give EVGA a chance to investigate and respond, and don't forget, this is not limited to just EVGA products. EVGA have run the top service and product business for years, and are well known for going waaay beyond the call of duty to do what is right, so try to keep that in mind.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

remenaker
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 356
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 18:10:43 (permalink)
I have them both up and running for 6 mouths now and the plugs look ok for now.
both are gamming systems.
KMoore4318
Pistoj Doulos Unum Pluribus
  • Total Posts : 17850
  • Ribbons : 238
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 18:57:58 (permalink)
rona1012

I can understand how some of you MAY be accepting to having to hit up solder points on  your board but I just am not all jumping for joy for this amazing mod for a board that's a month old.

No one said I was jumping for joy to do this mod, it’s more like reaching the realization, that either I can do it, wait for someone else to do it, or wait for the board to grow it on its own. Unfortunately, I am too impatient to wait on someone else, too much of a realist to expect it to correct itself, too determined to make it work, to not try the mod, Also I am too cheap to buy another board.
 Those of you with Deep pockets, or an exuberant faith in others, or an excess of patience, may have other options. For me it boils down to: If I want 480's do the mod, If I can be satisfied with 2(460's) the mod is not necessary.
All that's left is to decide what It is I will accept. other than that , the choices are pretty much made.
( It is what it is; I have what I have; I have no control over the actions of others;  and I do what I have too, to get what I have to work. ) It's not like there is any real choice.
Results dictate actions. Lack of action, can dictate consequences.  I deem the consequences unacceptable . Also the mod was engineered by someone with more knowledge and expertise than I have, Not capitalizing on his experience, diminishes, my capabilities, and options.
post edited by KMoore4318 - 2010/10/10 19:02:09

Just clink Link to Register >  My Affiliate Code:VTJPDC4OMB 
1)965 V-8  E761(77)
2)980X AX1200 E760(77) 980 ti
3) E770 (77)2(590) SLI AX1200 
4) X299 FTW K, 9980XE 2 2080 supers on AX1200
rmmil978
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 446
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 19:04:53 (permalink)
I'm using 2 470's and a 450 for phsyx...so I assume I'm safe?  Also...I'm using a 758...it does not have the extra Molex connection, does that mean that it's potentially at risk, or does anyone have any input on this?  I haven't seen any mention of the 758.

RIG #1                                   

i7-7700K (Stock, 4.2 GHZ)             
Gigabyte Gaming - 8
EVGA GTX 1080 TI FE           
32 GB RAM @ 3000 Mhz       
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=73018
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 19:38:00 (permalink)
rmmil978

I'm using 2 470's and a 450 for phsyx...so I assume I'm safe?  Also...I'm using a 758...it does not have the extra Molex connection, does that mean that it's potentially at risk, or does anyone have any input on this?  I haven't seen any mention of the 758.

read though the post, your GTX 470 should be fine it only pulls an extra 5watts per card your other gpus also are power friendly, its mostly what we gather so far GTX 480's  in sli/tri sli, old ATI 38XX cards whatever ones where the most power hungry, some 4800 series the high end power hungry ones, would have to look at the 58XX series not sure im sure iv you upp thier voltages on the higher models yes.... but only the higher models the lowers will not hit the power consumption of the better cards.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
Rona
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1502
  • Ribbons : 6
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 19:45:05 (permalink)
KMoore4318

rona1012

I can understand how some of you MAY be accepting to having to hit up solder points on  your board but I just am not all jumping for joy for this amazing mod for a board that's a month old.

No one said I was jumping for joy to do this mod, it’s more like reaching the realization, that either I can do it, wait for someone else to do it, or wait for the board to grow it on its own. Unfortunately, I am too impatient to wait on someone else, too much of a realist to expect it to correct itself, too determined to make it work, to not try the mod, Also I am too cheap to buy another board.
Those of you with Deep pockets, or an exuberant faith in others, or an excess of patience, may have other options. For me it boils down to: If I want 480's do the mod, If I can be satisfied with 2(460's) the mod is not necessary.
All that's left is to decide what It is I will accept. other than that , the choices are pretty much made.
( It is what it is; I have what I have; I have no control over the actions of others;  and I do what I have too, to get what I have to work. ) It's not like there is any real choice.
Results dictate actions. Lack of action, can dictate consequences.  I deem the consequences unacceptable . Also the mod was engineered by someone with more knowledge and expertise than I have, Not capitalizing on his experience, diminishes, my capabilities, and options.

Well said, indeed. I'm *almost* in the same situation as yourself and I could very well do the mod myself quite easily. I work w/ low voltage wiring all day everyday so to solder these points is not a hard task for me. I just feel like I shouldn't have to considering how recently I purchased it, that's all.

Also, do we have any confirmation this is strictly if you are running a multi-gpu setup w/ *480's* and not w/ the 470's? I ask this because currently I run 2 470 SC's in SLI and my next investment was going to be a 3rd 470/waterblock to complete my system, with the exception of possibly changing the PSU as I think a HX1000 will be pushing the limit with 3 470's and an OC'd 980x, even though the HX1000 is listed as a compatible SLI PSU on Nvidia's SLI chart.

I'd just like some confirmation, honestly. If said confirmation is "You will only run into this issue w/ (insert certain GPU's here) and the solution is either do the Molex MOD or purchase a board with additional molex to provide the additional power" I would be okay with it. I wouldn't be happy with how recently I bought my board but I'd have confirmation, know what I need to, and move on. If the problem can be created with my 470's then I am looking at the Molex MOD or moving to a different board. I am much like you Kmoore and don't have deep pockets, it's why I am so concerned and keep mentioning how recently I purchased the board ;)

Heck, I'd be happy as all get out if I was able to get confirmation my 470's won't cause the issue and I would proceed on with my 3rd GTX 470 upgrade and be happy w/ my 760 but if it's not to be, it's not to be. It would just be really nice to know the circumstances that create the problem so myself and everyone else overly concerned can make a decision, move on, and put this issue to bed and behind us.

donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 19:46:30 (permalink)
Nereus

Ok I give up. Clearly a few of you are determined to vilify EVGA and anyone who does not agree with you. Have at it. This is just bs now.

edit: LOL and now Donta edited his thread I am responding to with this post.. you guys are really too much.

Actually I added to my post... didnt take anything out.... add to the convo and the topic or move on... I do not want my post locked... TY though for the 90% molex I ordered one have it on the way, I just dont want this post locked is all. Hopefully though this post EVGA can give some type of official response on whats up that is the main purpose for it, so those with 759/760's minds can be put at ease, know what combination of hardware exactly will cause this so they can take action or no not what to put on thier boards, or they know they need to swap out a board.
post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/11 08:48:55

Heatware   

My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 19:55:39 (permalink)
rona1012

KMoore4318

rona1012

Well said, indeed. I'm *almost* in the same situation as yourself and I could very well do the mod myself quite easily. I work w/ low voltage wiring all day everyday so to solder these points is not a hard task for me. I just feel like I shouldn't have to considering how recently I purchased it, that's all.

Also, do we have any confirmation this is strictly if you are running a multi-gpu setup w/ *480's* and not w/ the 470's? I ask this because currently I run 2 470 SC's in SLI and my next investment was going to be a 3rd 470/waterblock to complete my system, with the exception of possibly changing the PSU as I think a HX1000 will be pushing the limit with 3 470's and an OC'd 980x, even though the HX1000 is listed as a compatible SLI PSU on Nvidia's SLI chart.

I'd just like some confirmation, honestly. If said confirmation is "You will only run into this issue w/ (insert certain GPU's here) and the solution is either do the Molex MOD or purchase a board with additional molex to provide the additional power" I would be okay with it. I wouldn't be happy with how recently I bought my board but I'd have confirmation, know what I need to, and move on. If the problem can be created with my 470's then I am looking at the Molex MOD or moving to a different board. I am much like you Kmoore and don't have deep pockets, it's why I am so concerned and keep mentioning how recently I purchased the board ;)

Heck, I'd be happy as all get out if I was able to get confirmation my 470's won't cause the issue and I would proceed on with my 3rd GTX 470 upgrade and be happy w/ my 760 but if it's not to be, it's not to be. It would just be really nice to know the circumstances that create the problem so myself and everyone else overly concerned can make a decision, move on, and put this issue to bed and behind us.

Well said both of you... like my case I have hardware gone from this whatever mystical combination it was....I'm out hardware plain and simple, EVGA Sent me a Classified 3 was a nice gesture But I cannot use it, I do not have the clearance in my case because where they put the molex adapter I just opend it up to double check not going to happen. So not a total loss getting the asus board. But I am out a limited edition board, some hard drives, some power supply's, my ram, an HP DVD/CD Burner/Lightscribe made exclusivly by voodoo pc for the HP BB 002 It cannot be replaced, nor my 2 months of 3D work that I was going to use for the Digital Domain Job Fair to land myself a job that actually had a full contract not a short set time contract that is lost because it was on those hard drives that got cooked...

When this issue first arised EVGA tbh should had come clean and open instead of it hitting us one by one.... I would had modded my board in a second.... to keep it... between my step-up, paying the difference I think I paid close to 500 dollars for the 759 board... then due to negligence, or lack of seeing into the future thinking all would be ok but the ati card thing should had been the red light.

Myself and many others have had to pay for it in some way sort or fashion. It all could had been avoided, this post would had not existed, my board and others would prob still be running if the issue was in the open and brought to our attention by the vendor. would we had been happy? No, but we would have more trust in EVGA for them being up front and honest with us... and like I said many of us would not be biting the wallet having to replace hardware from this... Am I mad? of course. dissapointed? yup Let down? oh yeah. Do I want this or worse to possibly happen to someone else?  No way in hell...
post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/10 20:13:17

Heatware   

My Build
emach
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1106
  • Ribbons : 6
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 20:09:39 (permalink)
This post might not add value to the thread but I feel I need to get it off my chest. I have put thousands into my rig, literally over 5K. Some have spent more and others less, but when a person spends that kind of money they expect the best. I expect the best performance and reliability from my pc. If I went out and bought, oh lets say a Mercedes, that car should be fast, comfortable, beautiful, and safe. If Mercedes finds a problem with it's reliability they would, and have, immiadetly notify their customers and recall the car for a fix. Why shouldn't we expect the same from Evga, Asus, Gigabyte, Msi or whoever makes these top end mb's? It's not like I went to Radio Shack and bought a $50 mb. No, I sought out the latest and best mb and manufacturer around and paid the premium for it. I would rather not speculate on when the mb makers knew about the problem or why Shamino is no longer with Evga but, the fact remains that there is a risk here and that risk goes beyond the computer. This in fact is a risk to our very lives and that is unecceptable. I am not willing to do the mod, just like I would not be willing to fix my seatbelts in my Mercedes if they failed. That is the responsibilty of the manufacturer. I know it's the weekend and tomorrow is a holiday and so I will hold out for verbal or written explanation and or solution. It is my hope that a company with a reputation like Evga has, will step up to the plate and do the right thing!

Emach
post edited by emach - 2010/10/10 20:29:13
overclockerguru
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 21:26:01 (permalink)
nevermind....   not worth the argument
post edited by overclockerguru - 2010/10/10 21:38:19
donta1979
Primarch
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 21:45:36 (permalink)
overclockerGuru your right there is no conspiracy that evga wants to burn down our house, those of us are mad at the after affects of this or are worried what might happen because of this. Antec did state that it will keep happening with the 759/760 classified boards no matter how many psu's they gave us even if we changed brands due to the reasons I explained they even said get a different board since the 759/760 Classy has a defect. That is just where the issue is sadly... its get a new board, mod your board before it happens to play it safe. Also the fact we had no warnings of this, someone had to do some digging to find out this would happen and they knew it would happen in its construction with a certian power hungery card setup combination. That is where the issue really is.

Heatware   

My Build
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/10 21:48:29 (permalink)
overclockerguru

nevermind....   not worth the argument

BUMPS are not allow in this thread  j/k

To those that clicked the link about the mod, keep in mind that the thread is dated 6/11/09, so basically it is a year and 4 months old.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
YerBuddy
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8919
  • Ribbons : 59
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 01:12:04 (permalink)
Nereus

YerBuddy
Nereus
No I don't own 480's. Again, for the FIFTH time, I posted today because of a certain someone putting someone else down for having an opinion. A few people trying repeatedly to twist it into something else does not change this fact.

I have also posted up right-angled molex solutions for Donta, and linked that mod thread for another user who asked about it prior this last page or two of bs, so cut it with the accusations of me being here to flame.

I will try not to post any further on this, but please, EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion, so don't put others down if you don't happen to agree with them, particularly when your opinion is no more substantiated than theirs. That is what prompted me to comment today, and how this somehow got turned into me being some sort of pariah is just ridiculous.

Holy cow.  All I did was ask if you own some components.  

What I'm trying to gauge is the difference in feelings between those of us who are in the "possible" potential for problems and those that are not.  It's easy to be on one side of the fence or the other depending on your actual stance.  I want to see if my own personal feelings are clouding my perception or not also.  Thanks...you helped me with that a great deal.

Well sorry YB, but in light of the last 2 pages, I was expecting your question to be asked so I could then be told to butt out since it doesn't concern me because I don't own any 480's. As my reply stated, my feelings were about a certain person putting down another's opinion, so it should not be included in your gauging feelings about the melting connector issue. I suspect you realize that already...   

I do.  I also understand your position and comments.  Actually, that's what brought me to my own personal look at myself to gauge what I'm feeling here.  I was not trying to make you out as the bad guy and I apologize if it looked that way.  Maybe it's the drugs I'm taking for the back surgery or my own paranoia, but I don't like feeling like I got scammed or cheated in any way. 

Safety is paramount in my home and with my expensive toys.  I've spent a small fortune just on EVGA components in the last 5 years or so and I've never felt like I do right now.  All I want is an official statement from the company and a way to be reassured that my components won't be destroyed or worse.  I also realize that it's the weekend, but this thread was started on Thursday.

Some of you are electronic genius' and can do the mod to your board(s) in a heartbeat.  Me...I don't have the soldering experience nor the knowledge to make this ghetto mod happen.  I'm sure, if told which wires and things I need and a good diagram/explanation, I could give it a go and figure it out.  That would be my last resort however.  I feel as others do that EVGA should do the mod for me and I should not be charged for any part of it.  I may feel different later, but that's what I'm sticking with at the moment.
SirJamesDTech
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4253
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 04:23:36 (permalink)
I share YerBuddy's sentiments...all except for taking drugs
For me, it's not about being disloyal to the brand at all. In fact, I feel I'm being very loyal because otherwise I'd have dumped this board and gotten another one already.
I'll just wait for the official word, and then decide what my options are after that.

Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | i7-4790K Devil's Canyon @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H105 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Samsung 840 EVO 1TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB SSD | 16GB Dominator GT DDR3 2000 @ 2400 | EVGA 850W G2 Full Modular | Acer Predator 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz G-Sync | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Headphones | Razer Blackwidow Chroma RGB Mechanical Keyboard | Corsair 760T Full Tower
remenaker
iCX Member
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 08:22:54 (permalink)
Hay YerBuddy I feel the same way with my two E760.
And I am glad to see you are doing good after your surgery.
AngryAce
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 867
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 08:46:44 (permalink)
I suffered from 2 melt downs, 2 Antec TPQ 1200s down, 2 e760s down (due to melted plastic in the 24-pin socket) so it is clear there is an issue with certain configurations and an OFFICIAL response would be in order.

On the bright side, I was upgraded to the Classy 3 and this week end added a GTX 480 for 3-way sli. I ran Furmark, Fluid Mark, 3Dmark Vantage, Heaven Benchmark, Crysis and Star Craft II all at max settings (96x AA) all day saturday and so far the 24-pin looks normal.

remenaker
iCX Member
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 09:25:12 (permalink)
Hay that is good new that the new motherboard is working out.
woojyee keep use up todate on how it works out this week.
nooberclocker
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 09:54:10 (permalink)
I did about 10 minutes of googling and found this.
3oh6 
the problem is with the ATX standard...not the motherboard.

http://www.hardwarecanuck...tors-3.html#post420538

kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 10:06:11 (permalink)
I wonder if these boards that have had this issue where with multi rail psu's?

Like I stated I ran my E760 with two GTX 480 HC FTW cards and no issue, but my psu is in single rail mode (switch on the back) plus it also has the dual 8-pin cpu power plugs that I do use.
Suicidalgi
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 440
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 10:14:08 (permalink)
I made this post last night and saved it on a text doc. Wasent going to post it but what the hey.

I don't think its cool how people are quick to stab EVGA in the back when this is clearly a problem with not just there board. I mean if you put a Pratt & Whitney F100 jet engine (480) on a Ferrari (Motherboard) and then get mad at Ferrari for something failing or falling off at 600MPH is just ludicrous.

Did EVGA know about the problem months ago ? Probably and so did other board makers that's why they have new revisions out with added molex power.

Would it have been nice to be warned about this problem months ago before new boards and gpu's were purchased by consumers from all board maker's ? You bet it would have been nice but are they obligated to ? no they are not.

Maybe there is something we are all missing here like an industry hush hush and all parties are at fault but they all said nothing for they wont take a revenue hit.

Now they just figure we offer new boards to use these power hungry cards and its up to you the consumer to upgrade or wait for something to happen then RMA your board.

Its sounds harsh and ruff but these are the times we live in and business is business and they need sales. The ugly truth in all this is if you really have to use power hungry GPU's then i guess its time to upgrade your motherboard or wait for Hiroshima to happen in your case.

In all seriousness if i went out right now and bought a new PSU and 3 GTX 480's for my E758-A1 and watched my 24 pin melt and then expected EVGA to give me a classy 3 is like the Jet and the Ferrari. Why should they upgrade me. More like i should upgrade my board because there was no power hog gpu's back in Feb of 09 when i got it and expecting it to perform more then it was designed for is just irresponsibility on my part. I am not saying people that went out and bought 480's when they first came out for there classy are nuts but what i am saying is knowing what we know now and going out and buying this setup or currently running this setup is nuts.

If i found out the config i was running was dangerous and could possibly damage other parts i would ether sell my GPU's and keep 1 or sale my board and upgrade. Yelling and bashing EVGA will get me nowhere and only affirmative action on the users part will see a result.

When i  built this rig it was my first and i always felt in the back of my mind that there was a small possibility that something could catch fire or go wrong. That is why i never leave it on when i am not home. I don't even leave it on when i am in the shower and no one is home or when i fall asleep. Now that i am on water i freak out even more thinking what will happen if my pump fails if i am not around. I have always treated my rig like a fire place or candle never leave it unattended.

That is why i do not fold, use torrents or leave my pc on overnight.

Just don't like EVGA being portrayed as the bad guy here. for all we know there hands could be tied by bigger folks *Cough *Cough Nvidia.

Corsair Obsidian 650d Case  
Intel Core i5 2500k @4.4GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB
EVGA Z68 FTW
EVGA GTX 670
EVGA 750 Gold PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
1 velociraptor 150gb
1 seagate barracuda (7200.12 Model) 500 GB
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 10:43:09 (permalink)
^ +1

AngryAce
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 867
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 10:44:07 (permalink)
@Hellcat714

I agree with your post and lets not forget, EVGA is stepping up and handling this issue on a case by case basis. I think they are doing a excellent job.

I was initially offered the e762 which I would have taken if it had fit in my small Corsair Obsidian 800D

wetfit9
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 11:30:35 (permalink)
Funny, I went from mad as hell, to upset, to just wanting to get a safe system. Me myself, I have gone through two power supplies. SO, I much agree, with the two posts ahead of me, time to upgrade my board because I cannot live with the what if's. I would love if they did a RMA, but if not, I refuse to live with what might happen. So I will upgrade this week one way or another. 

+1 to the guys ahead of me.

That said, now that word is out, be careful when building your new system.

I7 980X
Gigabyte G1 Assassin
Dominator's GT 2000mHz
Evga 580 in SLI
Rasa RS360 kit
Hanns G 28in 19x12
COOLER MASTER HAF X
Corsair AX1200 p 
OCZ agility 2(3)120g in RAID 0
WINDOWS 7 PRO 
WD Blk 2tb for back up
Logitech G19 keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
Picard1701E
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 12:09:00 (permalink)
wetfit9

Funny, I went from mad as hell, to upset, to just wanting to get a safe system. Me myself, I have gone through two power supplies. SO, I much agree, with the two posts ahead of me, time to upgrade my board because I cannot live with the what if's. I would love if they did a RMA, but if not, I refuse to live with what might happen. So I will upgrade this week one way or another. 

+1 to the guys ahead of me.

That said, now that word is out, be careful when building your new system.

Same here, I just ordered the R3E. I checked the 24pin connector of my 759 Classified a few times over the weekend (I'm running 480's in tri sli) and it's hot as hell, can't touch the thing for more than 2 seconds. Since nothing has melted yet, EVGA won't accept an rma, but just like you I can't live with the thought of what might happen. My dog is alone at home when I'm at work and I would never forgive myself, if anything would happen to him because of a bad motherboard.
dejanh
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1553
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 12:10:18 (permalink)
donta1979, can you confirm something for me please for Classified 3 board...

1. Does it have a single eSATA port? Confirmed.  There is no eSATA port on this board
2. When two graphics cards are installed in slots 1 and 2 (top most X16 slots), do they operate in full X16 mode?
3. If all four X16 slots are populated (1 and 2 with graphics cards) and 3 and 4 with X1 PCI-E cards do the slots 1 and 2 still operate at full X16?

I'm getting worried now that the Classified 3 will not work as a replacement for me going from E759

post edited by dejanh - 2010/10/11 12:19:41
recon 7185
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 186
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 12:27:48 (permalink)
dejanh

1. Does it have a single eSATA port? Confirmed.  There is no eSATA port on this board
2. When two graphics cards are installed in slots 1 and 2 (top most X16 slots), do they operate in full X16 mode?
3. If all four X16 slots are populated (1 and 2 with graphics cards) and 3 and 4 with X1 PCI-E cards do the slots 1 and 2 still operate at full X16?

I'm getting worried now that the Classified 3 will not work as a replacement for me going from E759

Well if you do decide its not for you PM me if you decide to sell it... not sure I want to do the molex mod to my board

i7 930 @ 4.2ghz
EVGA X58 CLASSIFIED E770
EVGA 970 GTX SC
6 gigs Corsair Dominator 1600
Thermalright Venomous X
Intel 730 series SSD 240gb
OCZ Vertex 2 160gb SSD
Antec HCP 1200w psu
Antec 1200
Logitec G110 and G9x
Windows 7 64-bit
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 1920x1080
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 12:35:58 (permalink)
dejanh

Classified 3 is a downgrade from the E759 Classy. The only good things about the Classy 3 are the USB 3.0 and the SATA II, minus the NF200 chip (16x/16x/16x PCI slots) nothing else
It will be better off that you do the MOD if you plan to keep it.
Can u dig it?
post edited by atfrico - 2010/10/11 12:40:18

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
dejanh
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1553
Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/11 12:43:21 (permalink)
atfrico

dejanh

Classified 3 is a downgrade from the E759 Classy. The only good things about the Classy 3 are the USB 3.0 and the SATA II, minus the NF200 chip (16x/16x/16x PCI slots) nothing else
It will be better off that you do the MOD if you plan to keep it.
Can u dig it?

Yep, I can dig that *as long as I get a written record guarantee from EVGA that they will accept the board back in case I need to RMA it despite the mod being done*
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 25
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile