EVGA

Helpful ReplyIs there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too Hot!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
brownsfan70
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/04/19 14:56:52 (permalink)
i love the speed of my titan black, it's very fast. and i have a case with lot's of airflow, hax xb evo. but if i don't run the fan at around 78%-100% (way to loud) it will very quickly downclock itself once it reaches the 82C temp target. and if i raise the temp target to 95C, in precision, it will just keep boosting the clock speed, and voltage, while ramping up the fan speed to compensate and then downclock itself once it reaches 95C, just as stated above when it is set to 82C.

so any thoughts on what am i supposed to do here? i bought this card for long extended gaming sessions, 6-10 hours at a time. but the card downclocks itself just a couple minutes into heaven 4.0 if the fan isn't running at around 75%-100%. this is not going to work for me, it's simply too loud and makes no sense for use in gaming.

is there any way i can just turn off the gpu 2.0 boost and keep the card at a fixed clock speed? i'm thinking that if i can do this i can in turn set the fan speed to an acceptable noise level that will also keep it at a cool, safe and constant operating temp.

please help, i don't want to just give up and throw this up on ebay... i love this card, it's frinkin' crazy fast! i have been waiting to get one for months and finally got my wish. but the continual boost serves only to slow the card down; i just don't don't see the point it's implementation...

IDK, maybe i just haven't figured something out yet, but it seems the gpu 2.0 boost is a completely self-defeating concept unless one only buys a $1000 video card for benchmarking only and/or running the fan speed at max (way too loud). am i wrong? maybe i am, IDK... ??

please help!

thanks
:)
post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/19 18:47:41
holeyguy66
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 19:41:51 (permalink)
have you thought about liquid cooling it. i dont have the new black series but im having the same issue with the one sc thats not liquid cooled. waiting on my back plate to add it to my loop. my card that is liquid cooled does not throttle back at all temp wise. i had an issue of it throttling due to the tiny power target. i think the only way to get rid of gpu boost is flash the cards with third party bios. which i am going to do in the future just a little on the scared side with the amount of money spent. i do agree that gpu is a waste but at the same time its a baby sit program from what i read on it. it can be handy but for us who wants all our power it sux
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10053
  • Ribbons : 165
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 19:51:07 (permalink)
Headphones or watercooling are the answer for running high end cards.

You have not posted "what" games you are running....
For many games there are many tricks available to keep temps under contol

donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 20:03:01 (permalink)
We need to know what case you have, and what fans are in your pc, a picture of your setup and fans how they are setup would be great. With good airflow you can easily run a GTX Titan Black or a GTX 780 TI with autofan and not break 65c. No need to turn off boost clock.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 20:11:42 (permalink)
holeyguy66
have you thought about liquid cooling it. i dont have the new black series but im having the same issue with the one sc thats not liquid cooled. waiting on my back plate to add it to my loop. my card that is liquid cooled does not throttle back at all temp wise. i had an issue of it throttling due to the tiny power target. i think the only way to get rid of gpu boost is flash the cards with third party bios. which i am going to do in the future just a little on the scared side with the amount of money spent. i do agree that gpu is a waste but at the same time its a baby sit program from what i read on it. it can be handy but for us who wants all our power it sux

appreciate the reply, holeyguy66, thanks for replying.

but no. water cooling is out of the question. for $1100, the cooler supplied should be better or they should at least give us an option to turn off the gpu boost with an acceptable low fan speed that isn't too loud and keeps the card nice and cool.

the only purpose the gpu boost 2.0 serves (from what i have seen so far) is to ramp up the voltage, clock speed and heat until it reaches the target heat temperature which then, in turn, downclocks the card so it doesn't overheat. after it does this it tries to boost again just to overheat and downclock yet again even though it has already reached the temp limit from the previous boost/temp limit in the first place. 

this is the dumbest and most pointless "feature" i have ever seen in any video card ever. it's an absolutely pointless and self defeating concept that is also an exercise in futility. amd did the exact same thing with the r9 290x. i just don't get the point of it all...

seriously. if i wanted a card that runs slower i would have just bought one for a lower price with a lower clock speed rather than spend $1100 for a absolute beast of a card (which it is) that downclocks itself (thus ruining the point of owning one) to the same speed of a $500 card. it's like a bad joke or something...
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 20:16:17 (permalink)
Coolermaster HAF XB evo.... not a quiet case, even worse if he didnt get the solid clear top...

I agree, the card should not be getting very loud if it was getting good airflow. (unless your running older games or low res)
-->How do you have the H100 fans setup? they really should be set as EXHAUST or you will be pumping heat into your videocard 

You really do need to post up your detailed hardware config info as well as your monitor setup details AND what games you are playing

I am not sure what you expected from a top end videocard, GPU boost works perfectly as long as the fan profile is setup correctly.
*Most users report awesome performance with -zero- downclocking and temps below 70c 

Sounds like a very nice pair of headphones and a strong fan profile would solve all your problems

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/19 20:22:11

donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 20:27:26 (permalink)
I would suggest a Corsair c70 vengeance gaming case, air flow is awesome, throw in some bitfenix specter fans or even more corsair fans and you should not have a problem. I would also suggest turning on vsync, This will help keep your temps under control, and keep the boost clocking from going crazy.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 20:31:00 (permalink)

I agree with Maniac. Get a CM case. Sure Corsair is a good company who makes good Ram. But for cases, forget it. 

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 20:34:35 (permalink)
XrayMan

I agree with Maniac. Get a CM case. Sure Corsair is a good company who makes good Ram. But for cases, forget it. 

LOL--> Coolermaster HAF XB evo is the case he is using, and setup correctly its loud -without- a videocard

From his reported temps he must have the case fans and H100 fans setup incorrectly
post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/19 20:39:09

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 20:50:07 (permalink)
donta1979
We need to know what case you have, and what fans are in your pc, a picture of your setup and fans how they are setup would be great. With good airflow you can easily run a GTX Titan Black or a GTX 780 TI with autofan and not break 65c. No need to turn off boost clock.

hey thanks for the reply, donta. my case is a haf vb evo and the case is wide open like a test bench. there is no lack of air flowing through the case, but that's not the problem. the problem is that the gpu boost 2.0 causes the fan to run too loud. the unnecessary noise, from the fan, that is caused by gpu boost 2.0 is not wanted. i don't want my card to keep trying to boost to a faster clock only to have it reach a target heat level and then downclock itself to the speed of a 780 or a 770. if i wanted that i would have just bought a 780 or a 770 for less money. same performance, less money.

what i'm trying to say is this:
i want the card to run at an acceptable low to low-mid noise level for prolonged gaming sessions. but...
the card won't run at an acceptable noise level because...
it keeps boosting the clock speed and voltage which in turn...
causes the card fan speed to rise in order to keep the card from overheating. which in turn...
causes the fan to spin at 84% (too loud) or higher just to keep the card under 82C. the 84% fan speed is just way too loud for a $1100 video card. the reference cooler is just not good enough for a $1100 card.

now if the boost was disabled it wouldn't keep ramping up the voltage and heat and thus it wouldn't need a crazy high fan speed to keep it cool and it also wouldn't have to disable it's own cores after prolonged gaming sessions. this is the exact same thing the reference r9 290x cards did. i'm definitely not saying this titan black card is a terrible and loud monstrosity that the r9 290x reference piece of garbage cards were - those cards flat out sucked! those cards fans sounded like bigfoot's hairdryer crossed with a jet turbine engine (near deafening) with a whoosh of air on top of it all. while the titan black fan is near silent but the massive air it pushes, and the noise which that air creates, while continually ramping up the fan speed, too keep it from reaching the target heat temp which inturn downclocks the card, is still way too loud for a $1100 video card. 

this is why i want to know how to disable the gpu boost 2.0. for if i can disable the gpu boost 2.0, it won't boost the temps to the target limit and thus won't downclock the card from overheating when it gets there. and if i can find a nice acceptable fanspeed that isn't too noisy and will allow the card to run at under the target heat level then it also won't downclock itself because it won't try and boost itself until it hits the max temp level.

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 20:53:08 (permalink)
maniacvvv
XrayMan

LOL--> Coolermaster HAF XB evo is the case he is using, and setup correctly its loud -without- a videocard

From his reported temps he must have the case fans and H100 fans setup incorrectly

the case is open like a test bench and even with it closed there is no difference with the temps. the case fans are running fine and i don't have an h100. the cpu is generating nearly no heat and is running at about 46C full load during heaven 4.0.

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:03:36 (permalink)
"...causes the fan to spin at 84% (too loud) or higher just to keep the card under 82C..."

That would be incorrect, as proper airflow should keep the videocard under 70c with the fan at only appox 70%
You clearly have airflow or room temp issue.

The performance envelope of your videocard and its temps/fan speeds is well known.
-->your reported temps of 82c at 84% fan speed means something is incorrect as those numbers are out of range
-------------------------------

As others have mentioned, with the videocard fan at 80% the temps on your card should NEVER go above 65-70c and the card will NOT downclock.
post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/19 21:07:13

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:03:39 (permalink)
i can't get the photo's of my pc or of heaven 4.0 benchmarks to upload, any suggestions? if i link the pic of my pc from imageshack it shows up as a broken link pic icon. if i try and upload it from my pc, it says file is too big.

i have no clue as to how to reduce it to an acceptable size.

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:05:45 (permalink)
maniacvvv
"...causes the fan to spin at 84% (too loud) or higher just to keep the card under 82C..."

That would be incorrect, as proper airflow should keep the videocard under 70c with the fan at only appox 70%

The performance envelope of your videocard and its temps/fan speeds is well known.
-->your reported temps of 82c at 84% fan speed means something is incorrect as those numbers are out of range

open test bench = no airflow problems.
brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:07:06 (permalink)
donta1979
I would suggest a Corsair c70 vengeance gaming case, air flow is awesome, throw in some bitfenix specter fans or even more corsair fans and you should not have a problem. I would also suggest turning on vsync, This will help keep your temps under control, and keep the boost clocking from going crazy.

lol stop. i will never turn on vsync ever... vsync is the enemy.

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:09:24 (permalink)
brownsfan70
maniacvvv

Have you run open a open bench setup before?
Because there is NO air pressure, it is normal for fans to run faster in such a setup. And of course a open bench is as loud as it gets.
post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/19 21:16:10

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:10:48 (permalink)
brownsfan70
i can't get the photo's of my pc or of heaven 4.0 benchmarks to upload, any suggestions? if i link the pic of my pc from imageshack it shows up as a broken link pic icon. if i try and upload it from my pc, it says file is too big.

open the picture you want to upload in PAINT
hit resize and make the pic 700x (or below 500kb) and save it as a JPG
Then hit "attach image" and then "gallery upload" and browse to the save pic 

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/19 21:19:37

Attached Image(s)

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:12:33 (permalink)
maniacvvv

As others have mentioned, with the videocard fan at 80% the temps on your card should NEVER go above 65-70c and the card will NOT downclock.

the lowest temps i can get the card to hold at is 63C and that is when the fan is at 100%.

if i run it at 84% (during heaven 4.0) it will stay at a "respectable" 74C-76C and that is still too loud IMO.
brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:17:10 (permalink)
maniacvvv
brownsfan70

open the picture you want to upload in PAINT
hit resize and make the pic 700x (or below 500kb) and it will upload fine

post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/19 21:21:47

Attached Image(s)

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:21:35 (permalink)
I updated the post with more clear instructions 
The above you tried to upload is a--> chrome HTML doc, you need JPEG 

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:22:39 (permalink)
maniacvvv

lol i got it, eureka! ty soooo much!

LOL!

post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/19 21:27:26

Attached Image(s)

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:24:17 (permalink)
thats a bit small (250x188) to see details...  you need to aim for about 700 for the first number

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/19 21:26:47

Attached Image(s)

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:30:19 (permalink)
it's weird. if i don't edit my own post, the icon you pointed to in your instructions (which were awesome btw) won't show up for me to use... so i will post this and then edit it with a bigger pic. 

ok there, check that out. the side of the case where the video card intake is facing is off just like the other side is. it's completely open.
post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/19 21:33:26

Attached Image(s)

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:37:35 (permalink)
maniacvvv

yeah. that was my heaven 4.0 benchmark score, i have a ton of them i saved. i clicked save when the benchmark was over and and it was saved as a html file with a google chrome icon. i don't know why or how to make it a jpeg.
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:42:53 (permalink)
brownsfan70
maniacvvv

yeah. that was my heaven 4.0 benchmark score, i have a ton of them i saved. i clicked save when the benchmark was over and and it was saved as a html file with a google chrome icon. i don't know why or how to make it a jpeg.

Open the Heaven score HTML on the desktop so you can see it....
Then hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard

Now OPEN the PAINT program.... and hit CTRL and V at the same time (this will paste the entire desktop capture into the paint program) 
Now you have the desktop screen capture in PAINT, just use the CROP tool and then re-size it and save as JEPG

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:48:36 (permalink)
maniacvvv
brownsfan70
maniacvvv

Have you run open a open bench setup before?
Because there is NO air pressure, it is normal for fans to run faster in such a setup. And of course a open bench is as loud as it gets.

yeah man. i've been building pc's since like 2000, my first video card was a voodoo 5 5500 agp, my second video card to replace that was a an evga ti 4200. i have been a pc junkie since 1984 (i'm old).

when i close the case it doesn't change the fan speed, the gpu temps or the cpu temps. there is a mesh window on the top of the case so heat can rise out, or i can even mount a 200mm fan on it if i want to. the temps are the same when it is open and closed and the airflow is supreme in that case, it's actually fantastic.

also. if you look closely at the pic, there is  no exhaust fan on the case mounted by the cpu cooler. it's sitting on the table in the background. i even bother didn't install it yet because there is absolutely no heat coming off that cpu at all. that is one amazing cpu cooler! 
post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/19 21:52:17
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:51:04 (permalink)
Do you live in the U.S.?

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:53:04 (permalink)
maniacvvv
brownsfan70
maniacvvv

Open the Heaven score HTML on the desktop so you can see it....
Then hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard

Now OPEN the PAINT program.... and hit CTRL and V at the same time (this will paste the entire desktop capture into the paint program) 
Now you have the desktop screen capture in PAINT, just use the CROP tool and then re-size it and save as JEPG

ok getting through technical difficulties with your expertise here, hahaha! 

this is the score i got when i OC'd the card 1 time with a 4.2 (3930k) cpu OC
+103 gpu clock
+404 vram
with max power target and temp in precision, i think it was 105 and 95C.

post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/19 22:01:39

Attached Image(s)

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 21:59:38 (permalink)
Psst...snipping tool. So much easier.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

brownsfan70
Re: Is there any way I can disable GPU boost 2.0 (Titan Black) in precision? Card is too H 2014/04/19 22:04:03 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Psst...snipping tool. So much easier.

man i'ma total nub when it comes to this stuff. "it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks." but i'm learning :)

i've been doing this for about 15 years now, i guess it's time for me to finally "get it." hahaha!

edit: i never even knew there was a "snipping tool" in win 7 LOL! just googled it and am watching a video on it. 
post edited by brownsfan70 - 2014/04/19 22:06:18
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile