thebski
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 958
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2012/06/04 17:53:31 (permalink)
Part 1 - Initial Scaling Review

Part 2 - BF3 Online and Memory Data - Page 1, Post #18
Part 3 - BF3 Online High vs. Ultra and Stock vs. Overclocked - Page 5, Post #128

Well my three EVGA GTX 670 FTW cards arrived via UPS last Thursday. After a weekend which included moving into a new house and some testing of these cards I've got some information I'd like to share with you guys. I won't waste any time as we've got a decent bit to get through.

Three little bundles of joy!

Out with the old, in with the new!

Test Setup

My current gaming rig is in my signature with more info on the Mods Rigs link, but here are the basics:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K at 4.7 Ghz on water
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance at 1866 Mhz CL9
Power Supply: Seasonic Gold Series X-1250
Storage: 240 GB OCZ Vertex 3
Monitors: 3x Samsung 2333T up to 5760x1080
GPU(s): GTX 670 FTW, GTX 670 FTW SLI, GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI (301.42 Drivers)
PCI-E: As you will see in the screenshots, my PCI-E settings are as follows -

Single Card: PCI-E 2.0 x16

I didn't grab a picture of the single card setup, but as you can imagine it was used in the top slot

SLI: Top Card - PCI-E 2.0 x8
Bottom Card - PCI-E 2.0 x16

Tri-SLI: Top Card- PCI-E 2.0 x8
Middle Card - PCI-E 2.0 x8
Bottom Card - PCI-E 2.0 x16

I'm not really sure why my bottom card is the one that defaults to x16 in either of the SLI configurations, but that's what it did. I should also note that all of my testing is done offline so far. The cable and internet man didn't get here until last night, so most of the testing was done by the time I got connection at my new place.

A little shot of my work area in my new basement! My new build uses the Xigmatek Elysium case with a 420mm rad mounted in the top and the 240 you see mounted in the front. These cards will be going on water soon. See my signature or Mods Rigs page for more details on the loop.

Test Methods

For testing these cards I used some regular benchmarks as well as in-game play similar to the method [H]ard|OCP uses. I ran each test with a single card, SLI, and Tri-SLI and recorded the results. For the games, I played through a certain section of the game while recording my FPS with FRAPS and repeated the same section for each card configuration. I recorded 5 minutes of FPS in hopes that that would be long enough to get at a good average. For the benchmarks I simply ran them and recorded the results. For all tests I have summarized results into graphs that I'll get to in a little bit. For now, I'll go through each test individually.

3DMark 11

For this benchmark I just used the standard Performance benchmark. There really isn't a lot else to say about this one. I took screenshots of the results as well as the graphs.

Heaven 3.0

I ran Heaven at both 1920x1080 and 5760x1080 using standard settings with the addition of Normal Tesselation and 4x Anti-Aliasing. I tried to record screenshots, but for some reason the screen showed up blank when I tried to take the screenshots of 1920x1080 with SLI and Tri-SLI. I just ended up recording the results by hand on those. I do have screenshots for the rest of the configurations though.

Battlefield 3

For BF3 I ran all tests at 5760x1080. I ran one set on Ultra Settings with the exception of using 2xMSAA and another set on Ultra Settings to compare the difference between 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA. I ran these tests during the Ambush in the Car Park section of Operation Swordbreaker. It's close to the beginning of the game, but it was easily repeatable and had a good combination of a lot of gunfire and explosions. 

Skyrim

I tested Skyrim at 5760x1080 on Ultra Settings. I also modded the SkyrimPrefs.ini file to take VSync off. For these tests I ran around Whiterun for about the first 40 seconds and then exited into Skyrim and walked toward Riverwood along the paths. Along the way with each configuration I ran into the same 3 enemies, so I was happy with that as far as the as the ability to replicate goes.

Crysis 2

Crysis 2 was also ran at 5760x1080 on Ultra Settings. I did have the DX11 pack and High Res Texture pack installed, so this was full blown graphics. I had not yet played Crysis 2 on this build, so I ran the benchmark near the very beginning of the game when you walk out and get introduced to the binoculars and then later stealth mode for the very first time. Probably not the best place to bench the game as there weren't that many enemies, but I didn't feel like taking the time to find the perfect spot.

Results

Now for the fun part .

My Cards

I just wanted to talk about my particular cards for a second. I have one card that is clearly better than the others which boosts to 1229 Mhz out of the box, the second that will boost to 1189 out of the box, and the third which will spend about half its time at 1176 and the other half at 1189. I can't say too much about the temps of these cards as far as factory fan profile goes. I have a fairly aggressive custom fan profile set in Precision X. Since these cards will throttle at 70C, I have basically drawn a straight line from 50C, 40% fan to 70C, 80% fan in the fan profile editor to try to hold temps at or under 70. Even in Tri-SLI with them all sandwiched together, I saw a max of about 71C on the top two cards with what I would guess to be about 80% fan speed. When it was either a single card or SLI with a space between them, they had no problem running about 63 or 64C on roughly 65% fan speed which is very quiet. I did not worry about recording temperature data because these cards are going to find their way under water soon. I also don't do any overclocking in this little review because I'm waiting for water for that.

3DMark 11

Single Card:

SLI:

Tri-SLI:

Summary:

I don't know that I put very much stock into benchmarks like Heaven and 3DMark 11, but people like to see them so I ran them. I think what we see here is pretty good SLI scaling. When you look at the graphics score it's not quite linear but pretty close.

Heaven 3.0

Single Card 1920x1080:

Note: No visible screenshot for SLI or Tri-SLI 1920x1080, but results are in graph.

Single Card 5760x1080:

SLI 5760x1080:

Tri-SLI 5760x1080:

Summary:

We don't see scaling quite as good here as we did with the graphics score on 3DMark, and something is obviously wrong with this benchmark in surround resolutions and SLI configurations. It doesn't concern me too much because these benches don't mean too much to me, but this is what I found.

BF3

Single Card:

SLI:

Tri-SLI:

Summary:

For BF3, I am amazed at how well these cards ran it. I doubt you could play with 4xMSAA unless you can tolerate somewhat frequent stutters, but the game is phenomenal on 2xMSAA. Frankly, I can't really tell the difference in appearance on the screen anyways. I am really interested to see if disabling Aero makes 4xMSAA playable. That's testing that this testing has bred. I have to say in this game that I was amazed at how smooth SLI and even single card were. Even when it would dip down to 27 or 28 fps with one card on 2xMSAA, it was the smoothest 27 or 28 fps I'd ever experienced. I honestly thought Tri-SLI wasn't as "smooth" as SLI even though the frame rates were higher. I think you can kind of see it in the FRAPS recordings too with the huge variance in frame rates, especially toward the end.

Skyrim

FRAPS:

Summary:

You can easily play Skyrim on a single card at 5760x1080 from what I experienced. Overall, I wasn't too impressed the the Tri-SLI scaling of this game. Maybe as drivers mature more it will get better, but to be honest it's just not needed in this game. You will noticed that in each configuration the frames dropped to basically nothing around the 40 second mark, but this was just the transition between Whiterun and Skyrim. You could also feel little hitches in this game, with all configurations, which I perceived to be textures loading in to the memory when transitioning between parts of the world.

Crysis 2

FRAPS:

Summary:

This was a fun game to test because the benefits of SLI and Tri-SLI were very clear. The game was simply not playable with one card, was playable and decent with two cards and was pretty awesome on three cards. The differences between the three configurations were by far the most noticeable in this game. I won't complain about 2.5x Tri-SLI scaling.

Data Summary

Scaling Summary

My Thoughts

I had a lot of fun testing these cards and putting together the data. Overall, I have to say I was a little disappointed with the SLI scaling, but that could be due to my Z68 platform and it could also be immature drivers. I would love to do further testing with a Z77 and/or X79 platform, but unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees. I was really curious to see how these cards scaled with the 2GB of memory, and I can't say that I was terribly surprised that they were simply stunning. SLI is really all you need for a very smooth game play experience, but there were advantages to Tri-SLI. If you look at the FRAPS graphs, Tri-SLI rarely dips below 60 FPS in any of the games with the exception of Crysis 2 where I thought Tri-SLI to be the most "necessary."

I know everyone wants to know about memory usage, but honestly I didn't bother trying to record it. Memory usage doesn't concern me near as much as memory required, and I don't know how to get at that number. I will say that my memory usage in the three games hovered around 1900-2000 MB most of the time, but as we know most games will use more than they need if it's available. I think the 2GB of memory does limit you on 4xMSAA in BF3, but I can't say that it was limiting in anything else. I have a hunch that the Skyrim texture loading pause has more to do with the memory bandwith than the memory size, but I have no way of proving that. I also know Crysis 2 was much more GPU horsepower hungry than it was memory hungry because there was such a noticeable difference between all three configurations.

Overall, these cards are really insane. I'm tempted to return them and go with SLI 4GB 680's just because I don't know that I need three of these things, and my head says that it's money better used in 4GB of memory considering how fast two of these things are. On the other hand, my heart says three of them looks way too cool in there and I just need to order water blocks so the overclocking and real fun can begin. 

I do have more testing ideas. I want to redo the games with Aero turned off to see what that does for me. That should help identify any memory bottlenecks I may have had (cough cough BF3 4xMSAA cough) . I also want to buy Max Payne 3 and test on it since I've heard some grumblings that it's really memory hungry. For now though, that's all I've got. I'm ready to actually game on these babies for a while. Let me know what you guys think!

post edited by thebski - 2012/08/09 08:39:36

Asus Maximus X Apex || Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.2 Ghz 1.376V || 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum SE @ 4133 C17 || EVGA GTX 1080 || EVGA 850 T2 || Saumsung 950 Pro 512 GB || Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB || Saumsung 850 Pro 1 TB || Creative ZxR ||

142 Replies Related Threads

chump7431
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3143
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/04 18:01:43 (permalink)
    WOW great job!!!!! Fantastic data

Build log +1
    EVGA X79 DARK, 2 EVGA 780 Classified's, I7 4930K, Custom EK H2O, 16G 2133 GSkill Ram, Corsair AX1200, 900DubsD, Logitech G700-19-35 
    ransan309
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 556
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/04 18:07:23 (permalink)
    Really excellent and comprehensive job! Anybody running surround will definitely benefit from looking at this.

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT. 4790k at 4.4Ghz. W/ XSPC Raystorm Block  
    G Skill ARES PC3-19200 16GIG. @ 2400Mhz
    EVGA 980TI Classified/ w. EK-FC780 Classy Block EVGA GTX 780ti REF. W/ EK-FC780ti Copper/Plexi
    Block (Physics)                                                                                                                  (Single Loop) EK-Coolstream 360
    Solfaur
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 215
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/04 21:39:12 (permalink)
    Hey you mentioned that you want to trade them off for 2 4Gb 680s, but aren't those almost as expensive as 3 2Gb 670s while the performance is lower? I too wanted to go 2 4Gb 680s but now seeing as how great 670s perform I would rather go 2 or even 3 4Gb 670s...

Also, you made some very nice testing here.

neal0790
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1574
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/04 22:29:05 (permalink)
    You didnt go over you VRAM in any games you tested?

Ive gotten up to 2100MB in metro 2033, 2508MB in saints row 3, 2200MB in skyrim and 2500mb in crysis 2 in surround at 5760x1080. No clue what it is in BF3, since i used the injector mod and cant seem to get the OSD display to work. But im assuming its up there too. 

I got a 670 SC 4GB

Case: CM Storm Stryker
    CPU: i7 3820
    Mobo:  Asus Rampage Extreme IV x79
    Ram: 16GB Kingston HyperX
    GPU: 3x670 SC 4GB
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    SSD/HDD: 128GB Crucial M4/2TB+1TB Seagate Barricuda
    Monitors: Asus VG278HE 27" 144hz 3D 1080p/ Acer H5630 3D projector 85" 
    G700/Razer Black Widow Ultimate/G27 Racing Wheel/Razer Nostromos
    Mod Rigs Give Me A +1 If You Like It
    shaneduce
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2017
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/04 23:20:39 (permalink)
    Cool setup!
    When are you going to put some new pic's of this setup on ModRig's?
    hoserx
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2787
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 04:34:18 (permalink)
    A BR for the OP please?  Lots of work obviously went in here. 

Asus Rampage IV Formula x79/ Core i7 3820 /16gb G Skill ddr3-2133mhz  / 2x EVGA GTX 680 /   Intel X-25m 80gb G2 + 120gb G2  / Corsair Force GT 120gb   /WD Caviar black 1TB  /WD Caviar green 500gb /Sound Blaster X-fi titanium fatal1ty / Corsair AX1200 /NZXT Switch 810 (white)/Corsair H100/ HP ZR30W 

foxmino
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 657
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 04:37:21 (permalink)
    Nice review, im getting 3 670 4g's friday ill post my results on my
    surround setup

Asus Z790 Apex
    13900ks
    Custom water cooling
    Msi 4090 Suprim Liquid
    V color 7800mhz A die memory
    Seagate Firecuda 4tb
    Evga 1300watt G plus
    Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic evo
    HeatWare http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=76088
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 06:18:04 (permalink)
    hoserx

Agreed, thank you for the PM 

AB Was Here... 

thebski
    SSC Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 06:27:36 (permalink)
    Solfaur

Hey you mentioned that you want to trade them off for 2 4Gb 680s, but aren't those almost as expensive as 3 2Gb 670s while the performance is lower? I too wanted to go 2 4Gb 680s but now seeing as how great 670s perform I would rather go 2 or even 3 4Gb 670s...

Also, you made some very nice testing here.

They are and that's why I bought the three 670's instead of two 680's like I originally planned. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I've thought of quite a bit more testing I want to do, so for now I'm going to keep working on that.

neal0790 

You didnt go over you VRAM in any games you tested?

Well as I said in the review VRAM used in all of the gaming scenarios hovered around 1900-2000MB usage. It just varied between 1900 and max the whole time during game play. BF3 2xMSAA was lower usually being between 1700-1900. I would really like a program that will record a 5 minute segment of memory usage alongside FRAPS recording. Is there a program that I can toggle recording on and off like FRAPS for memory stats?

That stuff said, as I also mentioned in the review, memory used and memory required are often two very different numbers. Games will use more than they need if it is available. I don't know how to find out the memory required stats unless there was a way to somehow artificially cap your VRAM available so you could keep lowering it until you found the VRAM wall.

As I said, I'm definitely VRAM limited on BF3 4xMSAA, but I didn't perceive that it limited me in on any of the other games.

shaneduce

Cool setup! 
    When are you going to put some new pic's of this setup on ModRig's?

Thanks man. It's been a really fun build so far with my first time doing water cooling and everything. I am planning on updating everything and probably making a thread about the whole build itself in the Mods Rigs section as soon as I get the graphics cards finalized and under water as well as do my final cable tidying. It's pretty messy right now because it's kind of in "test mode." Once it's done done I'll get some good pictures of it and update all that stuff!

foxmino

Nice review, im getting 3 670 4g's friday ill post my results on my 
    surround setup

I can't wait to see that. I would love to have 3 670 4GB sitting here to run the same exact tests on to see the difference, but money will not allow having almost 3k worth of graphics cards laying around just for testing .

I will be adding more to this thread with online BF3 as well as some testing in BF3 with Aero disabled. I may also try to figure out a way to record memory usage. I know Precision X can log it, but I don't know that I really have a way of going back and pulling out the same 300 seconds that FRAPS recorded.

Asus Maximus X Apex || Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.2 Ghz 1.376V || 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum SE @ 4133 C17 || EVGA GTX 1080 || EVGA 850 T2 || Saumsung 950 Pro 512 GB || Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB || Saumsung 850 Pro 1 TB || Creative ZxR ||
    hoserx
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2787
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 07:56:58 (permalink)
    Thanks, AB! Once again , nice work thebski.

Asus Rampage IV Formula x79/ Core i7 3820 /16gb G Skill ddr3-2133mhz  / 2x EVGA GTX 680 /   Intel X-25m 80gb G2 + 120gb G2  / Corsair Force GT 120gb   /WD Caviar black 1TB  /WD Caviar green 500gb /Sound Blaster X-fi titanium fatal1ty / Corsair AX1200 /NZXT Switch 810 (white)/Corsair H100/ HP ZR30W 

raw2dogmeat
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 799
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 08:07:21 (permalink)
    I hope to find out if games are memory required this Thursday when my new 4 gb 670's show up. Im curious to compare your numbers to mine. But I'm only running 2 way sli..did 3 way with my 480's and found performance to not match cost.

Cooler Master Cosmos S
    I7 4930K @ 4.4 GHz
    Asus Rampage IV Black  
    4 x 4 gb G.SKill - 2133  9-11-10-28-2T

Corsair 1200w
    Sandisk Extreme II 240 gb (Windows 7, 64 bit) 
    Velociraptor 1 tb 
     (games) 
    980 Ti SLI

XSPC Raystorm - XSPC Razer - EK Rampage IV Black Edition blocks

BaubDylan
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 09:03:29 (permalink)
    thanks for the review i'm waiting for 2 of my 670's to get here and will be running a very similar set-up. looks like I'll have to turn a few setting down or sell off my 670's and upgrade to the 4gb models.

Case: HAF 932  --  Motherboard: Z77 FTW  --  CPU: I5 3570K @ 4.7ghz  --  GPU: Evga 780 SLi - Ram: 16gb Patriot viper 3 2133mhz  --  PSU: Silent pro 1000W  --  Cooler: Corsair H100  --  HDD: seagate 2tb  --  SSD: Intel 120gb  OCZ 240gb  --  Optical: Blu-ray  --  Display:  3x27in 1440p in portrait surround

thebski
    SSC Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 09:13:47 (permalink)
    Afterburner

hoserx

Agreed, thank you for the PM 

AB Was Here... 

Woah, thanks guys! Didn't expect that. I had so much fun doing this review that I wouldn't consider it work!!

ryu4000
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 649
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 15:40:49 (permalink)
    Can't wait to see some reviews on the 4gb version thinking of going tri sli or getting 2 gtx 680's classy just wanna see how well tri 4gb play out first.

Case phanteks p500a
    Mobo Msi b550 tomhawk   
    Cpu ryzen 3700x        
    SDD mx-300 525gb     intel 512gb wd black nvme 1tb
    GPU  gigabyte vision 3080
    PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply
    Monitor LG 34GK950F-B 34
    Ram Corsair vengeance  rgb pro 32gb
    HDTV LG CX oled 65
    ki11joy92
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 16:04:26 (permalink)
    AMazing job on the thread! 

ikeyes
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 166
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 16:48:31 (permalink)
    Excellent job thebski your time and effort put into this post are greatly appreciated and the BR is well deserved! 

I got a pair of 670 FTW's for SLI just two weeks ago today... and I have a 5760x1080 setup incoming tomorrow via UPS.  Newegg has ASUS VH236H's on sale for $149.99 so I just decided to take a chance and I am hoping it will work out well enough.

For the VRAM testing, I would suggest that you don't worry about benchmarking the usage over time but rather just focus on the highest usage you see in game.  Rarely does the VRAM drop significantly once it's been filled up from my experience, so I just focus on what the highest possible usage I see is and then I just take a picture with my phone and then crop it to something like this:

BF3 w/ AERO (1920x1200 Ultra Preset including 4xMSAA - 8xSSAA also forced in NVCP):

I watched the VRAM # closely and waited until that # just did not go any higher no matter what I did.

Now here's where I think you'll be interested to see what kind of impact Aero can really have... in that same game from the screen shot above, I just ALT+TAB out and then switched my W7 Theme from Windows 7 Aero to Windows 7 Basic... 200MB of VRAM freed up instantly:

Again those are only at 1920x1200 but I will begin testing at 5760x1080 tomorrow evening.  

I have two weeks from today to decide on staying with 670 FTW SLI or going for some 4GB cards.  I really just don't like the 670 4GB reference design and like yourself will plan to move to water down the road as I did for my previous build.  However the 670 4GB SLI setup would only run me an additional $130... and they are readily available.  

680 FTW 4GB SLI would set me back $1260 and they don't exist!  The price difference between 670 FTW SLI and 680 FTW 4GB SLI is $420!  I just bought three new 1080p displays for my 5760x1080p setup for $450... so yeah... I am REALLY hoping my 670 FTW SLI setup can handle it with only 2GB of VRAM.

If the 670 FTW SLI setup really can handle it with only 2GB of VRAM then I will probably just use my Step-Up in August for whatever the best possible cards I can get my hands on.  Even if it's just a slight bump up to 680 SLI every bit will help at that resolution I'm sure.

If the 2GB thing is really just not cutting the mustard and I really want to stick with the 5760x1080 setup then I may just order up a pair of 670 4GB cards after all to see if it's really worth the change... Amazon has a great return policy so I will just keep the cards that I feel work best for my setup.

I have to say though... these 670 FTW cards have been F-L-A-W-L-E-S-S!!! 

Congratulations on the new setup man, looking forward to seeing pics of the beast when completed.  I saw your post last week about how you were moving and I've been waiting patiently for this post so welcome back!  Looking forward to seeing more numbers from your setup, and KICK ASS job on the graphs man... A+ presentation. 

3770K @ 4.5 (EVO)|EVGA GTX-670 FTW SLI|ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe|16GB Vengeance DDR3-1600|830 Series 256GB SSD
    2D Surround @ 6048x1080 on ASUS VH236H (x3) & Dell 2405FPW @ 1920x1200 Accessory Display
    ***********************************************************************************************
    Q6700 @ 3.8 on Swiftech GTZ - EVGA GTX-280 SLI @ 756/1566/1350 on Swiftech MCW60r2 & GTX200 Heatsinks
    EVGA 780i P08 & Zalman ZM-1000HP - HAF-932 - Dual Loop CPU/GPU each with MCR320 & D5 (7/16" Masterkleer) Pentosin G11 1:9 & PTNuke
    ***********************************************************************************************
    Surround Gamer?  This is a must have!  https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen
    thebski
    SSC Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 18:30:34 (permalink)
    Part 2

I have gone back to the drawing board a little bit. Now that I've got some internet I've done some BF3 online testing. I did this a little bit differently as I used Precision X to record the data from all of the GPU sensors. All tests were ran on 64 player servers and I tried to make sure there were at least 55 players in the server when I entered the server. I just played for a while and tried to do a little bit of everything including flying, tanks, jeeps, ground support, etc. Once I was done playing I just picked a 7 minute segment out of the middle of the log and created some graphs of the data. I did both 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA both with and without Aero enabled. Oh, and I also tested both SLI and Tri-SLI. I didn't bother with a single card as I doubt many people are buying a single 670 FTW planning on running surround. 

I'm going to show you time logs of the FPS with each setup as well as time logs of memory usage. I also want to show you time logs of the GPU usage because it's pretty funky. Finally I'll give the summary stats of the different setups.

SLI

Tri-SLI

Thoughts

I can definitely say that 4xMSAA is simply not playable on BF3 online at 5760x1080. Even with Aero disabled it was not even close to playable. It was better than Aero enabled, but not better enough. 2xMSAA without Aero enabled was very good. I think there is even the occasional memory hickup at 2xMSAA, but with Aero disabled I didn't see any of that. It really shows up in the minmum FPS as well. It never went below 30 FPS with tri-SLI  or SLI and Aero disabled.

My GPU usages are awfully odd I think. They are almost never all above 95% at the same time. I have a feeling that is the memory bottleneck coming into play. You see very sporadic GPU usage with Tri-SLI, and I have to assume it's due to the memory. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Even after playing this game quite a bit more, there are times when I still feel like SLI is just smoother than Tri-SLI. I'm not sure if the GPU usage variance is causing the frames to vary a lot more and make it seem less smooth or what. All I know is that you can see the huge FPS variance with Tri-SLI and it's not as bad with SLI, and sometimes I really think it feels like it.

This probably concludes most of my testing with these cards unless I think of something else I'm dying to find out about. I think after everything I'm probably going to end up sending these cards back to the Egg and trying to snag some 4GB 680's. I won't know without playing it, but just after playing with 670 SLI I feel like 680 SLI with 4GB of memory would just really be the ticket at this resolution. As I've mentioned several times, despite the frame rates being higher with Tri-SLI, I really felt like SLI was just as smooth if not more smooth. Getting a little bit more out of each card while maintaining the smoothness of SLI and coupling it with 4GB of memory I think would just be really awesome. I'm going to play around on them for another week or so and then have to make a decision, but I'm pretty heavily leaning towards the 4GB 680's. I think 3 670's is just way more GPU than can be fully utilized with 2GB of memory and therefore it's just kind of a waste of money.

With that, it sure has been fun! Oh, and I do have all of the raw data for ALL of the GPU sensors so if anyone has particular questions about other stats just ask.

thebski
    SSC Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 19:00:19 (permalink)
    ryu4000

Can't wait to see some reviews on the 4gb version thinking of going tri sli or getting 2 gtx 680's classy just wanna see how well tri 4gb play out first.

Three GTX 670 4GB would be the absolute best way to go to be honest. You get the best of both worlds. Tons of GPU power and more memory than you could ever use currently. If EVGA made a full length PCB 4GB GTX 670 I'd buy three of them in a heartbeat and be done with it, but I can't get over the small PCB for water cooling purposes. I'm hoping they come out with some more details about the 680 Classy this week because that's probably what I'll have to go with since no water block for the 680 FTW .

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 19:13:38 (permalink)
    I like that you made the Excel plots, most EVGA members that report only present their results with screenshots and pictures.   Makes me smile you tried some analysis and discussion.

Considering that the LGA1155 processor has 16 lanes available, and bridge chips are just switches and don't magically create more lanes, each of your GTX670's had the equivalent of PCIe 2.0 x5 each, which could only show itself in GPU-heavy circumstances.  Luckily, the games you tested at the resolutions you tested never taxed those lanes.

thebski 
    I don't know that I put very much stock into benchmarks like Heaven and 3DMark 11, but people like to see them so I ran them. I think what we see here is pretty good SLI scaling. When you look at the graphics score it's not quite linear but pretty close.
    Might not be a 100% scale (dropping percentage with each additional card does imply an eventual CPU-bottleneck if you get a future 3-way setup with your 2600K), but it is very linear, the R2 statistical factor is 0.9995 and 1.0000 for both scores respectively.  It shows that the benchmark was GPU-bottlenecked for each additonal card to have an impact.  Pretty nice, especially since most games you analyzed had the same result.  They were all GPU-bottlenecked and none hit the limit of the PCIe lanes, thus each GTX670 wasn't even using 5 lanes of 2.0.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    ikeyes
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/05 19:54:29 (permalink)
    Did you try just disabling MSAA all together in BF3?  Curious.

3770K @ 4.5 (EVO)|EVGA GTX-670 FTW SLI|ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe|16GB Vengeance DDR3-1600|830 Series 256GB SSD
    2D Surround @ 6048x1080 on ASUS VH236H (x3) & Dell 2405FPW @ 1920x1200 Accessory Display
    Q6700 @ 3.8 on Swiftech GTZ - EVGA GTX-280 SLI @ 756/1566/1350 on Swiftech MCW60r2 & GTX200 Heatsinks
    EVGA 780i P08 & Zalman ZM-1000HP - HAF-932 - Dual Loop CPU/GPU each with MCR320 & D5 (7/16" Masterkleer) Pentosin G11 1:9 & PTNuke
    Surround Gamer?  This is a must have!  https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen
    thebski
    SSC Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 06:16:11 (permalink)
    ikeyes 

Did you try just disabling MSAA all together in BF3?  Curious. 

I tried that last night after I had finished posting here actually. That was really the way to go. I was also too busy playing to really pay attention to see if I could tell a difference between just FXAA and FXAA+2xMSAA, but the picture is still incredible. The performance was incredible too in 3-way SLI. All three cards spent most of their time in the 90%+ usage area and many times were all hitting 95%+ simultaneously. The game play experience was also perfectly smooth.

I went back when I got up this morning and reviewed the [H]ard|OCP 3-way SLI GTX 680 review now that I have something to compare it to. I had actually forgotten, but they did all of their testing with ONLY FXAA on the 3-way 680's in BF3. They found 2xMSAA to be unplayable. I can see how one could come to that as there was the occasional hiccup even with Aero disabled.

I don't have much doubt that there are memory bottlenecks present at 2xMSAA as well. They are just not as frequent or severe as they are at 4xMSAA. It is not until MSAA is off that I can really utilize all 3 GPU's and have a perfectly smooth gaming experience in 3-way SLI.

In comparing my results to the [H] review, I have to say I'm pretty pleased. You can't make a direct comparison as I was at 5760x1080 and they were at 5760x1200, but I was only 3 FPS under their 3-way SLI configuration in both single player and online multiplayer when comparing their FXAA only results to my FXAA+2xMSAA results. I am going to rerun a quick test of single player and online multiplayer with only FXAA on, and I bet mine will be quiet a few frames higher than their results. A lot of that will be due to the resolution differences, but I'd say the GTX 670 FTW and reference GTX 680s are very very close in performance. It also made me feel good that they got very similar results so I can rest at ease a bit on scaling. That's just how these are.

Another thing I thought was very interesting in the [H] review was that they tested both the 3-way 680's and the 3-way 7970's at 5040x1050 to be absolutely sure to be rid of any memory bottlenecks and that the 7970 was still faster than the 680's just like it was at the other resolutions. This begs the question, does BF3 exploit a memory bandwidth limitation of the GK104 chips? I would think if the 680's were being capacity limited and that was removed they would surge back in front, but their results didn't show that at all. In fact, the difference between the two configurations looks very similar in each of the settings they tried when you look across the graphs.  Another key piece of evidence for this is my  memory usage graph over time up above. Memory usage with 2xMSAA in either Aero configuration never once reached the levels that it was at pretty much the whole time during 4xMSAA testing in either Aero configuration. That tells me that there is a slight bit of memory capacity left if it needs it, but when you look at the GPU usage, it still jumps all over the place which I attribute to there being memory bottlenecks present. I'm almost certain of that after playing with no MSAA and seeing how the GPU usages acted as I played the game. I just can't wait to see someones results with some 4GB cards. If they are bandwidth limited in BF3 then it will show up then.
    post edited by thebski - 2012/06/06 06:35:07

ikeyes
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 07:25:05 (permalink)
    Pretty sure I'm going to order a set of 4GB 670's tonight... will make for a fun weekend testing them against my FTW's on the new 5760x1080 setup.

I just have to know!  

thebski
    SSC Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 07:47:06 (permalink)
    I'd feel bad ordering 3 4GB 670's from Newegg because I know that I won't keep them (due to short PCB) and I don't want to buy something only for testing purposes. At least with these cards I truly was (and still am to be honest) on the fence of these or the 4GB 680's.

I am going to be paying very close attention to your results. I don't know if you have Microsoft Excel or not, but I would love to see some memory usage and GPU usage graphs over time on the 4GB cards similar to what I showed. All I did was click the monitoring tab in Precision X and start the recording right before I entered BF3, played for a while, stopped the recording as soon as I exited BF3, and then imported the file into Excel. You'd have to set the column width so your columns come out correctly in Excel when you import it as a fixed width file, but once in Excel the graphs are easy to make. I just picked out a segment in the middle of game play and graphed it.

There are two things that are going to help me make this decision. 1) I need to decide if I care about having MSAA on or if FXAA is good enough. As I said, I was too busy playing to pay very close attention to the difference last night, but I'll do some more playing around tonight. And 2) I am going to be watching your testing very closely. I'm curious if removing the capacity limitation helps or if we're dealing with more of a bandwidth limitation than capacity.

If I think FXAA is good enough for me and/or I am even more convinced of a bandwidth limitation after your testing of the 4GB cards then I'm keeping what I have. If both of those are not true then I'll have to part with these for some 4GB cards.

ikeyes
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 08:03:14 (permalink)
    Oh I'm buying them with the intention of keeping them IF they prove worthy... not just for fun.  I am also not wild about the 670 4GB PCB setup but if they do the job and run cool enough I could see using them.

Again the price difference between 670 4GB and 680 4GB is enough to pay for my brand new 5760x1080 setup... so I just can't see spending that much more to have AA cranked up.
    I am hoping the 670 FTW's can do the job, even if I have to dial back the settings a touch.  I plan to test with them tonight, and then maybe order a pair of 670 4GB depending on how tonight goes.

I def. have access to Excel and will be happy to put together some #'s if I do end up ordering the 4GB cards.

thebski
    SSC Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 08:09:13 (permalink)
    Yea I was just talking in my scenario I really doubt I would keep them unless they just blew me away. I could potentially even warm up to the idea of even having the short PCB's if I could just see some pictures of EK's full cover blocks for the 670's with them installed on actual cards. To my knowledge, none have been put out there yet though. I just think they'd look really funny in my huge case.I hear you completely though on the cost of 680 4GB vs. 670's. I just don't know that MSAA is worth that much to me.

I'm going to play some more tonight, but I know that 3-way SLI with only FXAA was just insane performance last night. If it's constantly going to be a struggle being able to play with MSAA on 3 screens no matter what cards I have then I'll just say screw it, stick with FXAA and have stupid fast frame rates.

micas
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 09:16:20 (permalink)
    Thanks to the OP for this thread - very informative and helped me decide what would work for me.

My mum had an expression - @%&* or get off the pot.. so I took the @%&*.  The Egg should have 2 4GB 470 SC's at my door tomorrow.  I waited as long as I could.. and I hemed and hawed over the different options and their performance/price points (plus the issue of availability) and I think I picked the right combination for me.  It's 5760x1200 glory INC!

For a bit of perspective, I hated Bad Company 2 until I got a 2600K and 460 FTW SLI.  Suddenly the game became awesome, even if on just one monitor.  I expect the same thing will happen with BF3 and being able to play it in surround will be fantastic. I have no issue just using FXAA, but I'll try MSAA x4 and then x2 and see what it does having the extra frame buffer memory. Even if the extra memory doesn't have much, or any, impact, I still feel like it was worth the extra money taking the issue out of the equation.  The price difference in with the 670s is much less then it is with the 680s.

I'm also into racing sims, and knowing that the new video setup will laugh at any title I throw at it is great.  

EVGA gets my business again.  You guys do a great job.
    ryu4000
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 649
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 09:17:53 (permalink)
    Well im joining the 600 series tommorrow.Just order 3 evga superclocked 4gb 670's from amazon.Got a friend buying my 2 580's for 300 per card.

Case phanteks p500a
    Mobo Msi b550 tomhawk   
    Cpu ryzen 3700x        
    SDD mx-300 525gb     intel 512gb wd black nvme 1tb
    GPU  gigabyte vision 3080
    PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply
    Monitor LG 34GK950F-B 34
    Ram Corsair vengeance  rgb pro 32gb
    HDTV LG CX oled 65
    ikeyes
    Superclocked Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 09:20:45 (permalink)
    micas - PLEASE update us on your findings ASAP 

thebski
    SSC Member
    Re:GTX 670 FTW Tri-SLI Scaling Review at 5760x1080 (pics, benches, graphs, charts, etc.) 2012/06/06 09:24:59 (permalink)
    ikeyes

micas - PLEASE update us on your findings ASAP 

+1 on this.

I'm going to do a little further analysis tonight by looking at the variance of the GPU usage with NO MSAA, 2xMSAA, and 4xMSAA. I want to look at that alongside memory usage statistics, and I think there will be some pretty strong evidence that we have more of a memory bandwidth issue than a memory capacity issue.

That said, you guys with 4GB should be able to tell pretty easily if it's a bandwidth or capacity issue, but from my experiences it will take 3 GPU's to make the bandwidth issues really show up if they are present with 4GB cards.

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile