sli... physx question(s)...

Author
uncle poop
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 576
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/02/29 08:12:37 (permalink)
so since my build is on hold right now sue to some unforeseen circumstances... and since i changed my graphics card from a gtx580 classified to 2 gtx560's... so i figured i would try to get some more information about these things... these are put in simple terms because i'm a simple guy...

ok so sli from what i was told and understand it is... it makes one card faster it does not double the memory of the card... each card does different jobs splitting the workload...

from what i know of physx is that it makes in game objects react differently to different effects... things like explosions, bullet shots near or at a movable object will cause that object to move... and physx allows that object to react differently to those effects... if i'm wrong please correct me...

i've been looking at people's benchmarking and comments about their systems.... i noticed a few of them had 2 or 3 cards in sli and a seperate physx card... during benchmarking there were mentions that when the physx card was used the scores were lower...

so i'm wondering about physx and sli.... can sli cards utilize physx? do you need a seperate card for physx? does physx hurt performance that much? what i mean is if i get a card for physx will my fps drop to where it's noticeable?

6 Replies Related Threads

_MatthewH
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4236
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:sli... physx question(s)... 2012/02/29 08:26:07 (permalink)
    SLI cards can use physx, most benchmarks don't use physx (3dmark11 for example) thus your score can be lower since your system still has to communicate with the card but it is not factored into your score. For games like batman, metro 2033, and others that use physx a dedicated card should yield better performance.

Thanks,
    Matthew Hurwitz - Assistant Product Manager Matth@evga.com 
    Feel free to contact us with any questions, comments or concerns: Toll Free 888-881-3842 
    You can rate our service here: http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

Kanti
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4739
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:sli... physx question(s)... 2012/02/29 08:26:57 (permalink)
    I've read that 3x gpus are best for SLI in order to get rid of the micro stutter.  I'm not sure how well two cards in SLI will handle Physx, it is my understanding that they work as one card, so neither will work specifically as a PhysicsProcessingUnit.  U use my original GPU for dedicated physics, a GTS 250 I picked up for $80.  Many say that a single high end card ought to do fine with physics, but I'm not sure since I don't have a GTX  580.

My single GTX 560 Ti struggles badly with processing gfx and physx, Batman AA for me is unplayable with the aid of the dedicated physx card.   

Muh 'filiate code: 387JKEF57G
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re:sli... physx question(s)... 2012/02/29 09:11:41 (permalink)
    uncle poop

so since my build is on hold right now sue to some unforeseen circumstances... and since i changed my graphics card from a gtx580 classified to 2 gtx560's... so i figured i would try to get some more information about these things... these are put in simple terms because i'm a simple guy...

ok so sli from what i was told and understand it is... it makes one card faster it does not double the memory of the card... each card does different jobs splitting the workload...

from what i know of physx is that it makes in game objects react differently to different effects... things like explosions, bullet shots near or at a movable object will cause that object to move... and physx allows that object to react differently to those effects... if i'm wrong please correct me...

i've been looking at people's benchmarking and comments about their systems.... i noticed a few of them had 2 or 3 cards in sli and a seperate physx card... during benchmarking there were mentions that when the physx card was used the scores were lower...

so i'm wondering about physx and sli.... can sli cards utilize physx? do you need a seperate card for physx? does physx hurt performance that much? what i mean is if i get a card for physx will my fps drop to where it's noticeable?

SLI does not make "one card faster" what it does is increase the rendering power available to a game by splitting the workload between them. Most commonly used today is a technique called alternate frame rendering. What happens is that if you took the frames and numbered them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...ect. The top card would be rendering the odd numbered frames 1, 3, 5...ect while the bottom card would be doing the even numbered frames 2, 4, 6...ect.

Having a card dedicated to PhysX will help but only in PhysX supported games like Batman AC, Mafia II and Cryostasis. However most do not make any use of Nvidia's GPU PhysX so if you play games like Battlefield or Call of Duty you will get no performance benefit since the PhysX card is doing nothing in those games.

Regarding benchmarks, I'm sure you're referring to 3Dmark Vantage in it's hugely misunderstood PhysX test. All that the test in Vantage is measuring is the PhysX performance of your selected PhysX processor, nothing more. It is not an accurate measurement of how your system will perform in a game. The reason is simple, say for instance you have 2 GTX580s in SLI and a dedicated GTX460 for PhysX. Of course the GTX580 is going to be faster at processing PhysX than the GTX460 as it has 512 cores vs 336. So when that test is run in Vantage your PhysX benchmark is lower than if you had selected your GTX580 as the PhysX processor. However therein lies the problem that most people don't understand. Your system, when playing a GPU PhysX enabled game will not be faster if you had left one of your GTX580's to do PhysX. It will in fact be faster in that game if you left your GTX460 to do the PhysX. Because in a game, there is much more going on than just PhysX calculations. The GPUs have to render complex 3D images, with multiple light sources, post processing effects, multi pass texture mapping....ect. And if you lump in PhysX calculations it's yet another task your GPU has to complete. It's also important to note that your GPU cannot process both PhysX and 3D game data at the same time. It must completely stop one task to do the other. Now of course this happens very quickly but it's yet another burden placed on your GPU. Removing this from your main GPU or GPUs and offloading it to a separate GPU can speed up the whole process.

Now on to your last question. Do you "need" a dedicated PhysX card? No, you do not. Your GTX560's are perfectly capable of processing both like I mention above, but there is a performance penalty for it. If you're playing games that use PhysX and play them a lot, then that's where having a dedicated PhysX card will make sense.

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    uncle poop
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 576
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:sli... physx question(s)... 2012/02/29 09:27:34 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne

SLI does not make "one card faster" what it does is increase the rendering power available to a game by splitting the workload between them. Most commonly used today is a technique called alternate frame rendering. What happens is that if you took the frames and numbered them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...ect. The top card would be rendering the odd numbered frames 1, 3, 5...ect while the bottom card would be doing the even numbered frames 2, 4, 6...ect.

Having a card dedicated to PhysX will help but only in PhysX supported games like Batman AC, Mafia II and Cryostasis. However most do not make any use of Nvidia's GPU PhysX so if you play games like Battlefield or Call of Duty you will get no performance benefit since the PhysX card is doing nothing in those games.

Regarding benchmarks, I'm sure you're referring to 3Dmark Vantage in it's hugely misunderstood PhysX test. All that the test in Vantage is measuring is the PhysX performance of your selected PhysX processor, nothing more. It is not an accurate measurement of how your system will perform in a game. The reason is simple, say for instance you have 2 GTX580s in SLI and a dedicated GTX460 for PhysX. Of course the GTX580 is going to be faster at processing PhysX than the GTX460 as it has 512 cores vs 336. So when that test is run in Vantage your PhysX benchmark is lower than if you had selected your GTX580 as the PhysX processor. However therein lies the problem that most people don't understand. Your system, when playing a GPU PhysX enabled game will not be faster if you had left one of your GTX580's to do PhysX. It will in fact be faster in that game if you left your GTX460 to do the PhysX. Because in a game, there is much more going on than just PhysX calculations. The GPUs have to render complex 3D images, with multiple light sources, post processing effects, multi pass texture mapping....ect. And if you lump in PhysX calculations it's yet another task your GPU has to complete. It's also important to note that your GPU cannot process both PhysX and 3D game data at the same time. It must completely stop one task to do the other. Now of course this happens very quickly but it's yet another burden placed on your GPU. Removing this from your main GPU or GPUs and offloading it to a separate GPU can speed up the whole process.

Now on to your last question. Do you "need" a dedicated PhysX card? No, you do not. Your GTX560's are perfectly capable of processing both like I mention above, but there is a performance penalty for it. If you're playing games that use PhysX and play them a lot, then that's where having a dedicated PhysX card will make sense.

ok so physx is not in all games... and really not in games i would play... so this may no even be an issue... i'll just keep to the gtx560's and not complicate things like adding a dedicated physx card...

thank you for the explanation and help everyone...
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re:sli... physx question(s)... 2012/02/29 14:06:17 (permalink)
    Yep, if you don't play any games that use GPU PhysX then don't bother with adding another card just for that.

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    Hawaiiboi808
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1163
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:sli... physx question(s)... 2012/02/29 15:07:34 (permalink)
    uncle poop

ok so physx is not in all games... and really not in games i would play... so this may no even be an issue... i'll just keep to the gtx560's and not complicate things like adding a dedicated physx card...

thank you for the explanation and help everyone...

Unless a game states that it uses PhysX on the box, or online reviews on said game talk about the use of PhysX, you can automatically assume, by default, that the game doesn't need PhysX.

Profile Update: 9/19/2013. 
    i7 4960x IVB-E w/ EK Supremacy Copper @ 4.4 Ghz, w/ Prolimatech PK3 TIM, Avg Idle Temp @ 34 deg C, load @ 46 deg C; Vcore: 1.02v.
    x79 ASrock Extreme 11.
    65.5 GB Corsair Platinum 2133mhz @  9-9-9-24 0.6667Ghz (not OC).
    1 Asus ROG Ares II, 7970x2, 819 of 999  W/ Lonovo Display Port Cable; AMD Cat Beta 13.10. 
    Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3Di, Monster Inc Toslink, Asus Essence One DAC, Beyerdynamic Tesla 1.
    Corsair AX 1200 Watt PSU.
    Win7 Ultimate x64.
    Asus VG278 LED Monitor.
    OCZ Vertex 0.24 TB S3, PCIe OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 0.48 TB, Segate 2TB HDD,  WD VelociRaptor 0.6TB S3 HDD, OCZ Vertex 4 0.5 TB, 50 GB AsRock ScanDisk Drive, Samsung 840 500 GB. 
    Madcatz Cyborg MMO7.
    Corsair K95 Mechanical Keyboard.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile