EVGA

dvi-i port trouble

Author
tryf97
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
2016/09/27 17:35:15 (permalink)
hi i just bought an evga gtx 950 ssc the problem is that the card is running fine using hdmi connected to my tv but when i switch to dvi-i adaptor and my analog pc monitor i get no signal.Is my card faulty???please someone help me!

13 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 00:07:14 (permalink)
    Have you tried another adapter?
    tryf97
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 01:46:28 (permalink)
    not yet..today i will try with another cable and monitor...but how is it possible if my card is faulty to work fine with the hdmi connected

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 06:44:56 (permalink)
    does seem strange ?   I'm set up that way with a old crt monitor running off the cards dvi-I   with the adaptor you get in the box with the card ??  thing is I don't ever have the 2 hooked up at the same time   ?  hmmmm....    with dvi-I you should carry analog signal native off the card  ?    I don't guess having the hdmi plugged in the card and try to use the dvi-I in analog if the all digital signal  for the hdmi use cancels out the analog part in some way ?  [ I wish I had extra cable to test this out quick ]  reason I bought a 900 series card for native dvi-I analog use for my older monitors
    post edited by Dr.Death - 2016/09/28 06:47:46
    JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 07:00:55 (permalink)
    Hello tryf97 and welcome to the Forums!

I also suspect this is the adapter. Most likely the graphics card is fine since it is working using the HDMI input. Often times adapters can cause several issues so it is recommend you test with another adapter or (if possible) a DVI capable monitor and eliminate the adapter altogether.

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 07:20:49 (permalink)
     Welcome to the Forums tryf97

Time to buy a new monitor ---> RE: analog pc monitor

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 07:22:29 (permalink)
    ya, why I don't have a extra cable here anymore   I invested in a good quality   dvi-I to hdmi  cable for the modern displays and just use the adaptor that comes in the box with the cards for the crt's ?      I don't guess why you suggest another monitor  ?    I use 2 old crt vga/d-sub cabled monitors with a 980 ti  ?   all work excellent  ..   maybe its easy for you to just run out and spend on a 200 bucks  new monitor  ??  some folks it may not be ..     thing is does he know the monitor works  or does the monitor work on something else or with another card as expected ??    dvi-I to vga/d-sub should be all a go  and compatible -  thing is these crt monitors  I'm using are every bit as good display wise  as my best flat screen  or hdtv    and far better for gaming  on them  -0- lag . what flat screen offers that ?/

I forgot to add was not port issues like the dvi-I port not/stopped working  a common thing with 900 cards  ??   seemed a lot of complaints over them  along the way  ??  [any brand ]  seemed more with gigabytes cards though ?

just google  gtx 900 dvi port  and see them all  read and weep
    post edited by Dr.Death - 2016/09/28 08:08:42
    tryf97
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 08:26:09 (permalink)
    Well.. i tried with another monitor/vga cable and another adapter...Still i get signal on the tv via hdmi but no signal on vga monitor...also i noticed that pc recognizes the 2nd ( vga ) monitor and goes into dual screen mode.When i disconnect the vga it makes tha "device disconnected" sound and it comes up to the hdmi again.When i start up the computer with the dvi-i only i get no signal and sometimes no post sound.Can it be a power problem? i use a 6 to 8 pin adapter to power the card.!??
    P.S thanks for the advices guys!!
    post edited by tryf97 - 2016/09/28 10:10:01
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 10:46:39 (permalink)
    Sounds like a busted output.
    tryf97
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 10:52:00 (permalink)
    so i ll have to return the gpu back to the retailer right?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 10:53:05 (permalink)
    tryf97
    so i ll have to return the gpu back to the retailer right?

Yep.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 11:14:04 (permalink)
    thing I was wondering is if you disconnect everything  [hdmi ]  and only hook up the vga monitor   will it then work ? [all you plug up is the d-sub  unplug the hdmi from the ''card'' ]     what I cant test is if the hdmi is plugged in will it lock out / disable the analog part of things ??

seeing how you put this ??
    ''.Still i get signal on the tv via hdmi but no signal on vga monitor...also i noticed that pc recognizes the 2nd ( vga ) monitor and goes into dual screen mode.When i disconnect the vga it makes tha "device disconnected" sound and it comes up to the hdmi again'' and  ''When i start up the computer with the dvi-i only i get no signal and sometimes no post sound''  ?

like me I use one at a time   and then all go through the dvi-I port  as well    and I have nothing plugged in to the hdmi or display ports  ??   thing is the hdmi is all digital  and no anlog support  where the dvi-I is using just analog only  for the d-sub use ??  

so just hook up the vga monitor as if it was your only monitor  nothing else ??    [I guess I need to order/ find  a hdmi cable  so I could test this out here ]  hard to work on something when not there for any hands on . 

all you could do is try another card  in rma  ?    but  should work  I got 2 hdtv's  2 old crt's and a regular  computer monitor  all work as expected on the 980ti's dvi-I port   I just don't have a straight hdmi cavble to see if using it affects the analog part  of things some how ??  don't seem like it should but todays cards are funny   

like here maybe  ?

''I'm still a little surprised that this did not work but it is entirely possible that the graphics card only has one set of hardware for converting the digital video signal to analogue VGA and so will only work with one VGA monitor at a time.  This would mean you can use either the VGA or the DVI-VGA but not both.''

http://superuser.com/questions/547551/video-card-with-2-ports-1-vga-2-dvi-not-running-2-monitors-properly

looks like he goes on to say if you use 2 digital ports and use a active adaptor from that for the vga  ???

and this ??

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/connect-dual-monitors-dvid-vga-computer/

post edited by Dr.Death - 2016/09/28 11:56:02
    tryf97
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 15:00:24 (permalink)
    Well I have tried to connect only the dvi-i i get no signal again and sometimes as I said I get no post sound.I packed the card in its case tomorrow morning I will return it to the retailer and claim a new one via warranty ...I hope that they will find out that the port is faulty and replace the card.Thanks guys u are very supportive and helpful community!!!
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: dvi-i port trouble 2016/09/28 15:35:51 (permalink)
    sorry maybe just bad then    if you get display and post under hdmi you  should as well with the dvi ?    I never tried to run a all digital display like a hdtv   off the hdmi port and a 2ed display  analog  like dvi-I /vga ?   I figured the cards can only do the digital side of things or the analog side of things but not both at the same time ??    like I said I don't have a correct cable to test that out  here ..

out side of that   like me I just pull the plug of the digital monitor out of the dvi-I and plug in the vga /dvi-I  adaptor like came in the cards box  for the crt and fire up  alls good to go  all auto detected   works fine and dandy  no mess no fuss other then the cable swap   heck I pulled out a old HP pavilion MX50 15'' crt monitor to see if it worked on this 980 ti and it did  and ran firestrike   on it  for fun

let us know how it goes after you exchange the card or what ever you find out  and good luck 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile