EVGA

crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance

Author
playboyer
  • Total Posts : 99
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/09/27 20:01:44 (permalink)
Awhile back I was having crackling/popping noises while watching movies, music aswell as poor fps in gaming with my EVGA Z87 FTW mobo setup.  I did everything GPU and Motherboard technical support suggested (driver wipe/reinstall and even after upgrading to Windows 10 from Win7 problems still persisted, even rma'd GPU and still same issue, tried different PSU..etc...) and nothing worked.  I ended up RMA'ing Motherboard and still had the same issues.  Finally after I was waiting on my 3rd RMA on my EVGA motherboard (because I had another issue with the replaced motherboard unrelated to the main issue).  While I waited for the cross-shipment to arrive I continued to troubleshoot and found out that setting the pci-e setting to GEN2 or GEN1 in the bios I no longer had the noise and poor performance issues.  When I set it back to Gen3 problems returned.  Anyway, aside from this, I also have another PC setup with a EVGA Z97 Classified mobo that I purchased back in late May of 2015.  Today, I booted up my Z97 PC and the all too familiar problem occured.  Did multiple reboots, tested music, game and there was the dreaded crackling popping noises but fortunately no performance degredation.  Went into the BIOS and manually set to GEN2 and all was fine after multiple reboots and tests but I will not rest with knowing my GPU 3.0 is running at 2.0.  Currently we setup an RMA but I really feel we need BIOS update to resolve this issue.  If anyone of you encounter the same issues it could likely be the PCI-E Gen version settings. 
post edited by playboyer - 2015/09/27 20:05:19

23 Replies Related Threads

AKToronto
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/28 09:12:44 (permalink)
    These generally sound like audio issues to me that aren't specifically related to the mobo... There are many things that could affect your audio set up.. This includes the location of your amp, subwoofer and all the cables that run audio as well as power.... Often its best to keep the audio cables and audio devices away from power cables and power sources. Ive had audio issues before and rather than trying to change things up in the bios it was more about positioning the audio equipment and keeping things away from power bars, etc, etc. The fact that you are experiencing the same issue with different motherboards does seem to suggest its not a mobo problem.
    playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/28 10:35:04 (permalink)
    AKToronto
    These generally sound like audio issues to me that aren't specifically related to the mobo... There are many things that could affect your audio set up.. This includes the location of your amp, subwoofer and all the cables that run audio as well as power.... Often its best to keep the audio cables and audio devices away from power cables and power sources. Ive had audio issues before and rather than trying to change things up in the bios it was more about positioning the audio equipment and keeping things away from power bars, etc, etc. The fact that you are experiencing the same issue with different motherboards does seem to suggest its not a mobo problem.

I am currently using the GPU HDMI audio(tested multiple HDMI cables and on different displays and audio system same result).  This problem occurred even with my other PC setup with a EVGA z87 FTW which was eventually replaced with a z87 Classified and all is normal ATM.  I am currently uploading a 10 minute video on Youtube of me selecting GEN3, GEN2 and GEN1 to show that my problem only occurs when GEN3 is selected as I do multiple restarts and launch benchmark or youtube videos so you can hear the cracking and popping noises when set to GEN3 3.0.
    post edited by playboyer - 2015/09/28 10:39:29
    playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/28 10:47:16 (permalink)
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/28 14:55:42 (permalink)
    Do you have the nvidia hd audio driver installed? If so, uninstall it and retest the system.
    playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/28 15:38:33 (permalink)
    Done that still same problem. All is fine when I use the onboard audio. Only when GEN3 is selected.
    UnstableOne
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/29 08:31:02 (permalink)
    Seems really weird.  Assuming you've tried different nvidia drivers.

1) What bios are you on, have you tried different ones
    2) Are you using the intel gpu or have you tried disabling it, possibly with the integrated sound also disabled
    3) Have you tried putting the graphics card in a different slot
    playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/29 09:13:32 (permalink)
    UnstableOne
    Seems really weird.  Assuming you've tried different nvidia drivers.

1) What bios are you on, have you tried different ones
    2) Are you using the intel gpu or have you tried disabling it, possibly with the integrated sound also disabled
    3) Have you tried putting the graphics card in a different slot

Yesterday I updated to BIOS 1.08.  At first it seemed to have fixed the problem.  Did multiple restarts, benchmark and watched youtube videos and no annoying pops and sorts until last night when I decided to test again in games, music etcs the problem came back.  like I said this was the same issues with the z87 FTW on an entirely different build and it all came down to GEN3.  I've don't PSU swaps, pc case swaps, double check for cable management to make sure no grounding issues and all, test different ram sticks on different slots, different GPUs and on different pci-e slots, bios version update down to even earlier versions, tried wiping the nvidia drivers and install from the earliest to the latest drivers, tried disabling onboard audio, used windows 7 and eventually upgraded to windows 10 all the same problems only when GEN3 selected.  My current setup is 
    i7 4770k
    evga zx97 classified
    GTX Titan X
    16gb ram
    1200w PSU
    My other RIG that had the same exact issues with GEN3 is 
    i5 4460
    evga z87 FTW
    GTX 650 Ti (now using GTX 750 Ti)
    8gb
    500w PSU

Ive tested using the GTX 650 Ti, GTS 250 and GTX Titan X.  However, no noise problems using the GTS 250 because it is an older pci e 1.0 or 2.0 so It won't run at GEN3 3.0 setting.
    playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/29 13:03:30 (permalink)
    Can anyone try setting GEN3 in your Bios.  I am curious to see if anyone else would also experience this noise issue aswell. 
    UnstableOne
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/29 13:24:21 (permalink)
    z97 classified here with 980ti on 355.82 win7.

just dragged over my tv to test the hdmi audio.
    tried auto and forcing gen3 in the bios and couldn't get your problem to happen.

1.08 bios
    1 pcie sound card currently in slot 2 for other testing
    integrated sound currently disabled for other testing
    gpu currently in slot 4
    tv is a vizio

most bios settings are auto detected except for vcore/cache on adaptive, and memory manually adjusted
    post edited by UnstableOne - 2015/09/29 13:30:22
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/29 13:53:19 (permalink)
    Looks like it's definitely a hardware problem. 

Time to test the card in another system to see if the issue follows the card.
    playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/09/29 18:58:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for trying. If you don't mind could you manually leave it at gen3 and keep me updated these nexts days if no issues arise. So far today at gen3 I didn't have the noise issue. I recently updated to bios 1.08 and I thought it fixed the problem but it eventually started again.
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/05 10:05:06 (permalink)
    Playboyer, could you please provide some additional information for us to help troubleshoot this?

- Does this only happen over HDMI?
    - Is your HDMI going into a receiver?
    - Have you tried different HDMI inputs on the TV/monitor/receiver?
    - Have you tried different speakers or a headset?
    - Have you tried different PCIe slots?

Get me that info, and I'll pass it on to our product team for further evaluation.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/05 12:32:33 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    Playboyer, could you please provide some additional information for us to help troubleshoot this?

- Does this only happen over HDMI?
    - Is your HDMI going into a receiver?
    - Have you tried different HDMI inputs on the TV/monitor/receiver?
    - Have you tried different speakers or a headset?
    - Have you tried different PCIe slots?

Get me that info, and I'll pass it on to our product team for further evaluation.

Only happens over GPU HDMI.  I've tried different HDMI cables to different TVs even thru receiver system aswell all when GEN3 is selected.  No problems with GEN2 or GEN1.  No popping noises when using onboard audio.  Tried different PCIe slots same problem when on GEN3 even tried other GPU on different slots same problem when GEN3 selected over HDMI.  Here is a video of when I Choose GEN3, GEN2 and GEN1 and the noise happens only when in GEN3 mode.  https://youtu.be/F6kl7bVB8U4
    BTW, This exact same problem was happening to my other build that had an EVGA Z87 FTW motherboard that was eventually swapped out with a EVGA Z87 Classified which is also set to GEN3 and so far so good not sound problems.....and hope it doesn't!

*Also, I even tried connecting a 6-pin power to the ATX_PWR on the bottom right side of the motherboard and that didn't help.
    post edited by playboyer - 2015/10/05 12:43:44
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/05 12:45:31 (permalink)
    And you don't get the crackling in Auto, correct? Can you try setting it to Auto, then boot up and check with GPUz to see if the board is running Gen3?  You'll need to use the renderer in GPUz to get the card to run at full speed, or it will clock down to a lower gen at idle. You can also check the Nvidia Control Panel as it will tell you what Gen the PCIe slot is running in the System Information found on the bottom left corner of NCP. 

playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/05 12:55:37 (permalink)
    Ive done all of that. Pls refer to my link to the video that I showed you because I even launch GPUz in the video to show what gen mode its in and even the render test.
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/05 13:24:37 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, but unfortunately Youtube and other video sites are blocked by our firewall so we cannot view videos. Could you post a screenshot or just let me know the results?

playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/05 13:41:57 (permalink)
    What is number I can reach you with???
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/05 14:45:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for talking with me about the issue. I'm glad everything is working properly on Auto, but I'll pass on the info to the product team to see if we can replicate the issue forcing Gen 3 just to be sure.

playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/05 16:31:03 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    Thanks for talking with me about the issue. I'm glad everything is working properly on Auto, but I'll pass on the info to the product team to see if we can replicate the issue forcing Gen 3 just to be sure.

Thank you very much!  So far done multiple restarts, did some gaming, listened to music, watched some youtube videos and so far not a single crack/pop when left to "Auto".  Set back to GEN3 for fun and noises came back.  So it is "Auto" from here on out.  Hopefully there is a bios update in the future that could address this IF it is not an Hardware issue.  Thank again just made my day :)
    PrestonOwens
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/08 17:50:02 (permalink)
    I have had the same problem on z97 classified and I found the my OC CPU was the problem, When I took off the overclock all my problems went away. I just don't know enough about overclocking to do it right I guess. CPU 4790k was 4.5Ghz now stock. 
    playboyer
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/08 20:35:11 (permalink)
    PrestonOwens
    I have had the same problem on z97 classified and I found the my OC CPU was the problem, When I took off the overclock all my problems went away. I just don't know enough about overclocking to do it right I guess. CPU 4790k was 4.5Ghz now stock. 

I had mine overclocked too and reverted it to stock speed and problem was still there.  Have you set the PCIe in the bios to GEN3 or left at auto?  Mine is left at "Auto" and it was fine since but this morning the noise was back but very subtle not as bad and ass annoying but I could live with it.
    PrestonOwens
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/08 20:39:41 (permalink)
    Ok I also had to unistall the onboard audio software not the drivers just the software also go into sound properties and disable all room correction/ enhancements too. See if that doesn't clean it all up,
    PrestonOwens
    Re: crackling/popping noises often followed by poor gaming performance 2015/10/08 20:41:09 (permalink)
    Pcieis set to auto gen3 using pcie 2and 3 for 980's and not overclocked either.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile