could really use some help with this...

Author
Evil Harb
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/03/05 05:07:34 (permalink)
Hi folks...

I'm really hoping someone can help me out here as I'm starting to lose it with this issue. I got a 970gtx card back in December (see first item listed below) - love it so far - and decided to get a second one for an SLI setup, something I've not done before. I did try and get an exact copy for the SLI setup but it wasn't avaliable on the OCUK website anymore. After chatting to the sales guys I was told to grab the second card listed below and that it would no issue using it for SLI mode (I really hope that was correct). I tried most of Monday to set it up - didn't succeed for whatever reason. Gave up trying on Tuesday and tried again most of Wednesday with no success either. I tried chatting the tech guys (said they weren't able to support me directly but did try their best pointing me in the right direction). I have tried everything I can think of...removing and reinstalling both cards - deleting and reinstalling the drivers...using one card alone and then the other...nothing. My motherboard is an Z77 Extreme4 - the system was built at the of the summer in 2013. I have not ever updated the bios if that is what needs to do be done...I've never updated a bios before...scares the crap out of me.

GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW "Plus Edition" ACX 2.0 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

My system is running on Windows 7 64bit.

When I check in the control panel (and the control panel) both cards are shown and my monitor work in both...after a reinstallation of the cards it does mention that an SLI bridge is missing, which is strange as I have tried 2 bridges on both connectors from each card. The option for setting up the SLI mode is visible in the nvidia control panel but everything is greyed out and I can't change or set anything up...could it be the bridges that are faulty?

If there is someone that can help me out here I would be eternally greatful. I'm hoping that because the cards are being shown in both control panels that that means I do not have to update the bios, but if I do I could really use some help doing this...as I said before I've never done it before and I don't want to risk damaging anything. I guess I could copy down any overclock settings and set those up again later...I think my mobo has the option on the back to click a button to restore a previous bios but I'm unsure about that.

So, if anyone can help please do! I'm now officially stumped as to how to solve this and I would like to get this sorted out soon.

Thanks in advance for any help received!

NOTE* someone has since mentioned to me that I would really need a second identical Plus Edition card for the sli to work...is this right?

8 Replies Related Threads

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: could really use some help with this... 2015/03/05 05:45:28 (permalink)
    Updating the BIOS probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Since your motherboard has an old BIOS, it's possible that it's a BIOS issue. But if I had to guess its probably not the issue. However, you should keep your BIOS upto date. The manufacturer releases new BIOS's because the old one didn't work properly so either way your BIOS is still bad and should be updated at some point to keep your machine compatible with the world. (It's fairly safe as long as you don't really screw up, like pulling the plug during installation).

To get back to your issue, I would probably return the bridges for a replacement (RMA).
    post edited by bsmegreg - 2015/03/05 05:47:43

Evil Harb
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: could really use some help with this... 2015/03/05 06:00:57 (permalink)
    As I mentioned before I've never updated a bios in my life - I really wouldn't want to do that without someone more experienced in that sort of thing sitting right next to me at that moment. I've got a major fear that I will screw my whole system in some way and I certainly can't afford that happening. I know from videos it all seems supposedly straight forward but still am hesitant to do it. I haven't really played around with overclocking either so having to redo all my settings is a bit mind blowing to me too.
    pcmaster00
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2752
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: could really use some help with this... 2015/03/05 06:53:15 (permalink)
    Inside Nvidia Control Panel, check the bandwidth allocated to both graphics cards.  This can be done with the system information link at the bottom left of the window or up in the help drop down.  I had a similar issue with my Z77 motherboard board where I was using the PCIE 1x slots and it turned one of my GPU slots down to 4x which is too low for SLI.

EVGA!!! TAKE CARE OF MY MATES!!!!   Heatware
    Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
    16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,
    All HDDs in trayless bays, 6x LG 24x DVD-RW drives, 3x Acer 22" V223W monitors

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: could really use some help with this... 2015/03/05 07:45:38 (permalink)
    CLEAN graphics driver only **TEST**
    As a test:  

1) First after power off (pull the plug and wait; I usually push the DVD caddy button or power button to drain PSU capacitors)

2) Remove the SLI bridge

3) Start Windows, Setup Windows for generic Windows display driver; native resolution of your monitor

4) Remove Nvidia drivers for the GPUs.

5) Reboot

6) ***Turn OFF ALL back ground software including security software*** (disconnect from all networks for security)

7) Then reinstall the latest GPU driver -selected Custom Install - ONLY install GPU graphics driver.  NO sound drivers, NO 3D, No Geforce Experience.

8) Reboot

9) Let Windows find GPU

10) shut down Windows

11) power off (pull the plug and wait) Install the SLI bridge

12) Restart Windows

Some system users have reported issues with installing full software with automatic install and a minimal install resolved conflicts.  -This is a good test

If you want/ need to install more later, install one at a time to determine conflict source.

This is a case where less is more. 
    Just make sure if your motherboard has any Nvidia drivers that you do not uninstall those.

Also:  Tells us ALL the details of your system - please.  RAM (amount, type what MB slots are populated), Power supply (PSU)- really important to know if the 12V rail can support 2 Graphics cards.

- You are following the MB instructions on which slots to use for SLI -?

Your system is couple years in use, were/ are the PCIE slots clean - dust bunnies are great insulators (OK, I'm reaching here)

This is a case where more information would be good for the members to have in order to help you.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/01/05 11:08:29

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

HOWARD70
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 290
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: could really use some help with this... 2015/03/05 07:55:31 (permalink)
    check ur mother board manual and make sure your using the right pcie lanes. If ur using one and two and for sli on ur motherboard u need to be using one and three for ex the cards wont sli, it may have nothing to do with the sli bridge.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: could really use some help with this... 2015/03/05 08:13:07 (permalink)

There is a reason for the saying:   If it is not Broke - Do not fix it!

Bricking a MB is a real possibility:(some MB have multiple BIOS making it safer to recover - (Read and understand MB makers directions to Flash)

Bricking risk is highest for anyone who would be foolish enough not to backup the original BIOS and use a good UPS to prevent power drop for 20 or so minutes while flashing / recovering flash of BIOS. 

BIOS flash + power interruption = BRICK  =  ++ and more of this $$$$$$$$

Unless your MB has duplicate BIOS or needs an update; best to leave it as is. - take it to a shop

Read the BIOS updates notes - if an update would possibly address a known issue like you are having; then by all means update the BIOS.

Some overclockers, have regretted changing the BIOS as they needed to re-tweak their settings.  Unstable OC can cause your OS not to boot and require a reinstall of OS.

BIOS flashing:

1) READ the directions First - and then again - ask questions Now - not during Flash!
     2) Use a quality UPS (uninterruptible power supply) gives you clean power and will allow you to finish flashing if utility power goes out. (ever see your lights flicker?)
     3) Get all of your supplies ready, refer to step 1
     4) Download all software from vendor:  BIOS, BIOS Flash utility,anything else from step 1
     5) Copy all current BIOS settings
     6) Setup your PC for limited software auto-loading upon restart (NO background software, turn OFF the security software -disconnect from network for security)
     7) Backup the current BIOS
     8) Flash new BIOS
     9) IF there is an ERROR - Do NOT turn Power OFF! - Try again or reinstall BIOS from step 7
    10) After BIOS flash, enter BIOS and setup your PC again

Good luck, hope this helps.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/03/05 08:20:57

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: could really use some help with this... 2015/03/05 09:25:13 (permalink)
    Evil Harb
    NOTE* someone has since mentioned to me that I would really need a second identical Plus Edition card for the sli to work...is this right?

This is correct. The reason the cards won't SLI with each other is because the PCB's of each card are a different size, http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2263746, the 970 FTW's PCB is 9.5in long while the 970 FTW+ PCB is 10.1in long. There is a workaround to get SLI working when using different cards with different PCB sizes you can get it here
    post edited by Sajin - 2015/03/05 09:29:47
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: could really use some help with this... 2015/03/05 12:44:08 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Evil Harb

This is correct. The reason the cards won't SLI with each other is because the PCB's of each card are a different size, http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2263746, the 970 FTW's PCB is 9.5in long while the 970 FTW+ PCB is 10.1in long. There is a workaround to get SLI working when using different cards with different PCB sizes you can get it here

+1K thanks, for this information

Also:   http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sli-with-different-cards.158907/

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile