EVGA

Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ?

Author
Watever44
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/20 15:47:23 (permalink)
I would like to know how people were able to snap theses in place ?

I wasn't able to connect the first set, the EVGA technician said I should "grip" them a little bit. It didn't work. I used some snips and was able to press one against the m.2 card but the other one didn't work.
EVGA send me one that I just received today. They said that the system would work but my wifi could have some problem, and that's what I had in the last few days.

When I opened the case to install the new connector, I realised that the current connector was disconnected. I tried to put it back, but didn't work.
I tried both new cables I have and I am unable to make them snip to the card for more than 1 minute. As soon as I move they will disconnect and it's impossible to connect both. Even worse if I want to put the "evga" backplate cover.

What am I doing wrong ? What are the others doing ? Cause the only way I can think now is to use fast epoxy or something like that.

Otherwise I will ask for a refund and purchase a gigabyte or asus as I always did in my previous build.
(I also tought that the wifi card was AC and not N mode, just a misinformation on partpicker that I didn't verify back I think).

9 Replies Related Threads

twoheadedlamb
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/05/06 14:17:13 (permalink)
    Yup, it's a task. Just have to breathe in, fixate, fiddle with it until it clicks in solid, breathe out. It's annoying. I do have tiny girl hands though, so it's not too hard getting in there... but they do come out easily with a tug. This comment probably doesn't really help much, but it's possible to do.

Also, I make sure the wires are already facing down before clicking them in so they don't get in the way of the backplate. Just have to be REALLY gentle. Or have someone hold them in place while dealing with that.
    sipherous
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/05/22 19:08:30 (permalink)
    I used a pair of plyers to snap them in. my hands are large and fiddling was tasking also bent the wires so the stick out at the top and then head down, made it a bit easier.
    dodobv
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/05/27 23:38:55 (permalink)
    I would like to see a new mATX board from EVGA with m2, sata express, wifi ac, BT, usb 3.1 and all this really work from box to case.

smyatt
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/06/13 06:59:00 (permalink)
    I'd have been happy if they had preinstalled those never-sufficiently-damned-enough antenna leads. It has marred an otherwise good experience, making me doubt my own ability to "simply snap on" two wires. I now understand frothing-at the-mouth-rants on YouTube. I thought them fumble-fingered foul-mouths.
    Now I am also one.
    It's even got me hyphenating all over the place.
    smyatt
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/06/13 07:01:56 (permalink)
    At Computex EVGA showed upcoming boards for Intel Skylake, Z107 chipset?
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18916
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/06/17 23:29:51 (permalink)
    smyatt

Yup. Waiting for those myself.. Z107 series includes a Stinger (mini) model. Not sure if it is WiFi or more like the Core3D.. will have to wait and see.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Mackan42
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/06/21 10:52:16 (permalink)
    Nereus
    smyatt

Yup. Waiting for those myself.. Z107 series includes a Stinger (mini) model. Not sure if it is WiFi or more like the Core3D.. will have to wait and see.

The Z170 Stinger they showed didn't seem to have any wifi. Though, a small port is visible in front of the CMOS battery. Maybe some M.2 wifi can go in there, as with the Stinger Wifi. Disappointing to see no M.2 port, and no U.2 or SATA Express. Other manufacturers can do it, so why can't EVGA? 
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/06/21 11:01:48 (permalink)
    Mackan42
    Nereus
    smyatt

The Z170 Stinger they showed didn't seem to have any wifi. Though, a small port is visible in front of the CMOS battery. Maybe some M.2 wifi can go in there, as with the Stinger Wifi. Disappointing to see no M.2 port, and no U.2 or SATA Express. Other manufacturers can do it, so why can't EVGA? 

I can't speak for EVGA but I assume EVGA concentrated on the most requested user features. I don't know if the info in this article is correct but there seems to be a lot packed into this very small board:

http://www.techpowerup.co...011v3-motherboard.html

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Mackan42
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Z97 stinger wifi - How to connect the antenna ? 2015/06/21 11:20:32 (permalink)
    Yeah, but the one you link to is mATX. I am mostly complaining about their ITX board. It looks the best, overclocks well, but has least features compared to all other OEMs. Rather depressing situation. I would expect Wifi to come standard, and then another M.2 port for PCIe X4 speed SSD, and then another U.2 port for cabled PCIe SSDs. Together with a great audio solution, and maybe one USB Type C port. Bring that in one package, and maybe look over their port placements on the motherboard, and they suddenly have the most attractive offer amongst all. Well, and fixing their UEFI bugs, more solid PWM support for fans, etc.

SSD solutions are now leaving SATA behind, for U.2 or M.2 solutions. There might be adapters offered from newer SSDs to SATA ports, but then there is also NVMe that takes over AHCI. So... there is a very good reason for EVGA to step up and offer more features.

Maybe they have hidden a M.2 underneath the motherboard, but I doubt that. If so, it couldn't be used for a U.2 adapter port anyway.
    post edited by Mackan42 - 2015/06/21 11:23:15
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile