EVGA

Z97 FTW CPU Throttling @ 800mhz BD PROCHOT sensor failure

Author
iowamoe300
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/20 21:21:43 (permalink)
Anyone else had this issue with their board?  I must have the worst luck with this stuff.  Board started locking the multiplier at 8x and cpu wouldn't go above 800mhz.  Jacked around with bios and settings for hours.  EVGA support of course wants me to have basically an extra computer to test parts on which I don't because it's either the board or the cpu.  I finally found out about this BD PROCHOT which is the motherboard sensor thinking the cpu is overheated (which it isn't it never goes above 55c under full load) so the cpu shows thermal throttling if you look at it in the intel tuning utility.  Once I found the "unthrottle" program and disabled this BD PROCHOT crap cpu goes back to normal (only when in windows, in bios it will still be throttled) so I now know for sure it's a board failure.  Of course I shouldn't have to use software for the board to work properly so we are rma'ing it under my lifetime EAR but good god... I have spent more on purchasing warranties and ear's on this stuff because it fails on a yearly basis.  This particular board is maybe a little over a year old so I have to burn my EAR to replace it over this nonsense (if they even have another Z97 FTW Board which I hope to god they do).

I guess I'm looking for answers.  Do other people have these issues with failures?  Why the heck doesn't the bios have the ability built in to turn off this PROCHOT crap like the other manufacturers?

EVGA Z97 FTW.  i7-4790K, G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-2400 x 16gb (2 x 8gb), EVGA GTX970 SC 4GB (EK Full Cover Blocks with parallel bridge) (SLI), EVGA Supernova 1200w,  Feser X-Changer 120.3 radiator x 2, Swiftech MCP355 w/xspc res top x 2, Heatkiller 3.0 (CPU). 

3 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Z97 FTW CPU Throttling @ 800mhz BD PROCHOT sensor failure 2016/07/20 21:44:48 (permalink)
    PROCHOT is a signal sent by the CPU to the motherboard and tells the motherboard to initiate CPU Thermal Control (throttling)..You should update to the latest BIOS if you haven't yet and roll from there..CPU Thermal Control can normally be found in the CPU settings section of the BIOS where it can be disabled/enabled..You can find the latest BIOS for you board in the EVGA Download Center.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

iowamoe300
    Re: Z97 FTW CPU Throttling @ 800mhz BD PROCHOT sensor failure 2016/07/20 21:59:18 (permalink)
    bob16314
    PROCHOT is a signal sent by the CPU to the motherboard and tells the motherboard to initiate CPU Thermal Control (throttling)..You should update to the latest BIOS if you haven't yet and roll from there..CPU Thermal Control can normally be found in the CPU settings section of the BIOS where it can be disabled/enabled..You can find the latest BIOS for you board in the EVGA Download Center.

Yes I have the latest BIOS.  I was going by information I read here https://hardforum.com/threads/3-4ghz-cpu-stuck-at-1-6ghz.1762299/
    It is basically what you said except it is explained that it is a motherboard sensor that is telling the cpu to throttle which is opposite of what you are stating.  If that were the case my cpu would be the culprit.  It is also stated that even if you have BD PROCHOT disabled the cpu will still retain its native ability to throttle in case it gets too hot.  This led me to believe it is a motherboard sensor going bad because my temps are fine and the cpu runs flawlessly.  This is especially true after disabling the BD PROCHOT with the throttlestop program and everything works fine when it's running.  Go into bios and it will always be in an 8x multiplier and it won't change though so that makes me think it is the motherboard sensor and prochot causing it.

EVGA Z97 FTW.  i7-4790K, G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-2400 x 16gb (2 x 8gb), EVGA GTX970 SC 4GB (EK Full Cover Blocks with parallel bridge) (SLI), EVGA Supernova 1200w,  Feser X-Changer 120.3 radiator x 2, Swiftech MCP355 w/xspc res top x 2, Heatkiller 3.0 (CPU). 

iowamoe300
    Re: Z97 FTW CPU Throttling @ 800mhz BD PROCHOT sensor failure 2016/07/24 18:59:03 (permalink)
    After receiving my RMA replacement board I did discover that it was indeed a hardware failure with the motherboard and not my cpu.  Everything functions normally now with the new board.  So anyone having the cpu throttling with the cpu showing thermal throttling even though temps are good can be pretty sure it is the motherboard and the BD PROCHOT sensor on the motherboard.  I inspected the board closely and did find one very small resistor that failed but I have no idea if that is what caused the prochot failure or not.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile