EVGA

Z170 FTW Rear I/O cover and gpu clearance question.

Author
Sato_LTU
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/01/30 03:51:14 (permalink)
Hello, I'm about to order the z170 ftw and I have a question which concerns me. 
While reading many reviews I saw a couple people mention that the rear i/o shield can be in the way when installing certain graphics cards in the top pcie slot. Is this really an issue? And are there any cards that are known to not fit with the shield on? Im planning to use gigabyte's g1 gaming 980 ti with EKWB Backplate.

5 Replies Related Threads

nowcontrol
    • Total Posts : 55
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Z170 FTW Rear I/O cover and gpu clearance question. 2016/01/30 05:45:30 (permalink)
    I think it gets in the way of pretty much any card, more so those with back-plates, but it can still be fitted if you do what i did.

It only gets in the way when you actually screw it down to the board at the bottom, I just omitted using the bottom screw through the shields fitting hole which allowed enough flex in the shield too be pushed up slightly as i seated the card and then let the shield rest atop of the card. There is insufficient pressure to cause any damage.

And if your card has no back-plate and you are worried about the shield connecting with the PCB, do not worry, the shield comes with a piece of thick-ish vinyl tape at the bottom too. And you can always add some more yourself.

EVGA Z170 FTW / EVGA RTX 3070Ti XC3 ULTRA
    Intel Core i7-6700k / Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM
    Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB @ 3200MHz [C16]
    Corsair HX850i / Corsair Carbide Air 540
    WD BLACK SN750 [500GB]

snapbeaver
    • Total Posts : 87
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Z170 FTW Rear I/O cover and gpu clearance question. 2016/02/13 15:11:14 (permalink)
    yeah, its a shame, i agree

the I/O cover was first released on X79 Dark, and thats almost 3 years ago

but is common that the the designers dont even test the HW properly before launching onto the market..

Some major brands, dont even care to test the new graphics card in 3 and 4 way before shipping them out..

whats looking good on the paper, is not always the true scenario

I am a bit "putty" also, that i cant use the I/O cover on my FTW/Micro 2 boards
    post edited by snapbeaver - 2016/02/13 19:07:10

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 203
    Re: Z170 FTW Rear I/O cover and gpu clearance question. 2016/02/15 08:29:30 (permalink)
    nowcontrol
    I think it gets in the way of pretty much any card, more so those with back-plates, but it can still be fitted if you do what i did.

It only gets in the way when you actually screw it down to the board at the bottom, I just omitted using the bottom screw through the shields fitting hole which allowed enough flex in the shield too be pushed up slightly as i seated the card and then let the shield rest atop of the card. There is insufficient pressure to cause any damage.

And if your card has no back-plate and you are worried about the shield connecting with the PCB, do not worry, the shield comes with a piece of thick-ish vinyl tape at the bottom too. And you can always add some more yourself.

This is true only the top screw will work, you can bend the bottom up and install like pic or just leave it off like I did. I may do some cutting on it with metal snips which would also make it fit my card has the backplate.

snapbeaver
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Z170 FTW Rear I/O cover and gpu clearance question. 2016/02/15 10:38:04 (permalink)
    yes, i know it can fit, with a slight jam..

its possible to fix this by using a drenel and alter the holes in the I/O cover (grind them oval) , so the cover can slide up a bit

But its a compromise, and in the long run mods like that often end up in a disappointment, after all its a brand new product, and if i speak for myself
    i like to keep it that way.. stock and unmodded out of the box

Nice build btw

you dare to have AIO and fans with fluid bearings in there ^^

I lost a Lightning once, due to crappy designed CM bearings.. Jetflo fans = red screen of death, and a pond of polluted fluid all over and under my lightning backplate.. RIP 680 / 1500mhz
    post edited by snapbeaver - 2016/02/15 10:53:23

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 203
    Re: Z170 FTW Rear I/O cover and gpu clearance question. 2016/02/15 10:50:11 (permalink)
    snapbeaver
    yes, i know it can fit, with a slight jam..

its possible to fix this by using a drenel and alter the holes in the I/O cover (grind them oval) , so the cover can slide up a bit

But its a compromise, and in the long run mods like that often end up in a disappointment, after all its a brand new product, and if i speak for myself
    i like to keep it that way.. stock and unmodded out of the box

Nice build btw

Yeah I'm fine with it off myself probably never get around to cutting on it may pull my card and do the same as he did in the pic I already have it in the box bent right but just left it off being one screw and my old rig went down needed to get business graphics finished for the season so put it all together without worrying about the I/O cover

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile