Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
DAVE2HOT4U
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1114
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2016/05/22 18:25:37 (permalink)
Has anyone bought one of these Newer Boards ? If so how do you like it ?

36 Replies Related Threads

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/23 00:42:30 (permalink)
    Yes, is it possible to OC Cache/NB Frequency?

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Warboy
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 212
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/23 03:33:33 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    Yes, is it possible to OC Cache/NB Frequency?

I highly doubt they a put a OC Socket on it. Since It's suppose to be lower then the Classified. I would keep demanding it on the X99 Dark when this is talked about.

My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 GigaFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/23 03:45:10 (permalink)
    EVGA X99 FTW-Killer is premium board, almost same as Classified.
    She have only 2 phases less but on paper offer more features and
    If people could change Cache Frequency I can say than I'm sorry because I don't upgrade on X99 now.
    This board have everything I need, lack of SATA Express is not flaw at all if you ask me.
    That feature will be removed from motherboards in next 2 years and only up to 32Gbps M.2 Gen 3 will be used for faster and faster devices.
    Because they fit in very small PC compare to SATA Express, almost as PATA HDD Cables.
    M.2 go directly on PC and offer faster speed and I think that's feature for next 5-10 years.

I have in my head now one great setup... and if someone want something powerfull, nice or similar, could use my recommendations for 2016 build.

i7-5820K/i7-6850K or something similar
    EVGA X99-FTW-Killer
    32GB 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ 3000
    EVGA GTX1070 SLI or GTX1080 SLI or single for people with smaller budget.
    Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB + Samsung 850 EVO SATA III 1TB 
    EVGA 850 P2 small, cool, efficient, excellent for Pascal SLI.
    In Win 303 case.
    CPU Cooler EVGA AIO 120mm or CORSAIR before EVGA show up
    GPU Cooler EVGA AIO 120mm Hybrid
    CORSAIR AF120mm fans

I guarantee you that will look AWESOME.
    post edited by Vlada011 - 2016/05/23 03:56:09

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

ValkyrieStar
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 169
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/23 10:15:49 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    EVGA X99 FTW-Killer is premium board, almost same as Classified.
    She have only 2 phases less but on paper offer more features and
    If people could change Cache Frequency I can say than I'm sorry because I don't upgrade on X99 now.
    This board have everything I need, lack of SATA Express is not flaw at all if you ask me.
    That feature will be removed from motherboards in next 2 years and only up to 32Gbps M.2 Gen 3 will be used for faster and faster devices.
    Because they fit in very small PC compare to SATA Express, almost as PATA HDD Cables.
    M.2 go directly on PC and offer faster speed and I think that's feature for next 5-10 years.

I have in my head now one great setup... and if someone want something powerfull, nice or similar, could use my recommendations for 2016 build.

i7-5820K/i7-6850K or something similar
    EVGA X99-FTW-Killer
    32GB 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ 3000
    EVGA GTX1070 SLI or GTX1080 SLI or single for people with smaller budget.
    Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB + Samsung 850 EVO SATA III 1TB 
    EVGA 850 P2 small, cool, efficient, excellent for Pascal SLI.
    In Win 303 case.
    CPU Cooler EVGA AIO 120mm or CORSAIR before EVGA show up
    GPU Cooler EVGA AIO 120mm Hybrid
    CORSAIR AF120mm fans

I guarantee you that will look AWESOME.

32Gbps M.2 and U.2 connectors will become standard alongside SATA 3, Sata Express was a s**t idea to begin with, I mean, it takes up 2 sata ports AND 2 PCIe lanes? Not to mention there's like 1 drive that uses it.

M.2 and U.2 are pure thoroughbred PCIe (except the stupid sata variations, which were just silly, we already have mSata for that shiz, sata M.2 just causes more confusion).

I have a feeling my 950 Pro might get retired soon, or be accompanied by an even faster SM961, those are rated 3.2GB/s Read, 1.8GB/s Write.. insane! and available up to 1TB, wouldnt mind a 950 pro 1TB though.

Questors
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 08:18:27 (permalink)
    I am still formulating. Since Computex is so close at this point, it can't hurt to wait a few more days to see what else may be released. One of the considerations on the table: X99 FTW K, 5930K, G.Skill 3200 RAM, pick up a Killer wireless M.2, use a PCIe 1x adapter and use Killer's Double Shot Pro feature set. Having experienced Killer Nic with and without DS Pro, to me, it's the ONLY reason to pay for a Killer equipped board. Otherwise I am less than impressed with Killer, especially as a mainboard sole LAN.
    As using two full x16 lanes to SLI my GPUs is a must for me and the FTW K has a second Intel Nic and USB covered, the last consideration is the onboard sound ability versus an add on card (which will force an x8 situation for the a GPU).

post edited by Questors - 2016/05/24 08:21:14
    ValkyrieStar
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 08:58:21 (permalink)
    Questors
    I am still formulating. Since Computex is so close at this point, it can't hurt to wait a few more days to see what else may be released. One of the considerations on the table: X99 FTW K, 5930K, G.Skill 3200 RAM, pick up a Killer wireless M.2, use a PCIe 1x adapter and use Killer's Double Shot Pro feature set. Having experienced Killer Nic with and without DS Pro, to me, it's the ONLY reason to pay for a Killer equipped board. Otherwise I am less than impressed with Killer, especially as a mainboard sole LAN.
    As using two full x16 lanes to SLI my GPUs is a must for me and the FTW K has a second Intel Nic and USB covered, the last consideration is the onboard sound ability versus an add on card (which will force an x8 situation for the a GPU).

What exactly is the point of DS pro? To me it seems like you're better off just doing some QoS management to make sure your game is high priority. To me channeling 40kb/s down your 1,000,000kb/s (gigabit) connection is pointless, whatever lags and stuff you're having is going to be caused by your actual internet connection on the ISP side of the router.

I've tested this before, using a 5 port switch, and I ping flooded my main pc using bootable copies of ubuntu from 3 other gigabit devices, task manager showed the NIC being full on 100% throughput, yet my latency in game didn't change a single bit. I then tried downloading the same file 3x across the network, again maxing out the throughput of the NIC, and again, no difference at all on the game.

The only thing that would effect is if you had two really crumby connections, and you connected to one on ethernet and one on wifi. If you've got 1 internet connection, like pretty much everyone does, then there's most likely 0 benefit.

Anyway, what do you do that requires 16x/16x between 2 gpus? So far there are no GPUs that even take a performance hit from 2.0 x8, never mind 3.0 x8. Heck, my Titan X doesnt fit in my spare pc so it's linked up by a 3.0 x1 extender cable, and i'm having exactly 0 issues what so ever, infact bus load averages around 30%, no stutter, no frame drops. I might even patent it and build an external housing for it and sell it as an External GPU solution!

Even with running 16x/16x you still get the bottom slot with x8, you could stick a nice sound card in there, though i'd recommend putting an M.2 x4 to PCIe adapter and grabbing a Samsung 950 Pro SSD, probably more worth it. Audio quality compared to my Sound Blaster Z is almost indistinguishable, with the only exception that you get slightly higher volume with the external card.

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 09:14:18 (permalink)
    Well I have to Admit there are a Few good inputs on this thread but Not One Person has Answered my Original Question !
    ValkyrieStar
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 09:17:27 (permalink)
    I don't think anyone here already owning an X99 EVGA board will buy one right away, maybe with Broadwell-E, but not yet.

Maybe someone already has bought one, but might not be active on the forums etc.

Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 10:39:08 (permalink)
    ValkyrieStar
    Questors

What exactly is the point of DS pro? To me it seems like you're better off just doing some QoS management to make sure your game is high priority. To me channeling 40kb/s down your 1,000,000kb/s (gigabit) connection is pointless, whatever lags and stuff you're having is going to be caused by your actual internet connection on the ISP side of the router.

I've tested this before, using a 5 port switch, and I ping flooded my main pc using bootable copies of ubuntu from 3 other gigabit devices, task manager showed the NIC being full on 100% throughput, yet my latency in game didn't change a single bit. I then tried downloading the same file 3x across the network, again maxing out the throughput of the NIC, and again, no difference at all on the game.

The only thing that would effect is if you had two really crumby connections, and you connected to one on ethernet and one on wifi. If you've got 1 internet connection, like pretty much everyone does, then there's most likely 0 benefit.

Anyway, what do you do that requires 16x/16x between 2 gpus? So far there are no GPUs that even take a performance hit from 2.0 x8, never mind 3.0 x8. Heck, my Titan X doesnt fit in my spare pc so it's linked up by a 3.0 x1 extender cable, and i'm having exactly 0 issues what so ever, infact bus load averages around 30%, no stutter, no frame drops. I might even patent it and build an external housing for it and sell it as an External GPU solution!

Even with running 16x/16x you still get the bottom slot with x8, you could stick a nice sound card in there, though i'd recommend putting an M.2 x4 to PCIe adapter and grabbing a Samsung 950 Pro SSD, probably more worth it. Audio quality compared to my Sound Blaster Z is almost indistinguishable, with the only exception that you get slightly higher volume with the external card.

I have had excellent experiences with Intel LAN solutions. I have had horrible experiences with Killer LAN solutions. I recently had the opportunity of using DS Pro capability on my network. Using my wireless to offload other than gaming, turned bad impressions to possibilities of a positive nature. QoS done for you. I rarely benchmark anymore. If my fingers tap too many times and the tray clock flips minutes, that is all the benchmark I need.

As for the dual x16 for GPU: I upgrade much less frequently than I used to. Hopefully when some unfulfilled features become realized, I won't have to upgrade right away. That all depends on other technologies too though. If PCIe were to phase out for a newer, better, faster interface, my efforts would have been wasted. It's a chance. Look at the SATA Express. It was going to be the next big thing. Now it's a waste of motherboard space.

I currently have Sound Blaster Z and it performs better than the Rampage V Extreme motherboard audio. Naturally, if it made a difference on the R5E, it stands to wonder if it wouldn't be noticeably better than any motherboard audio.

I have Samsung 950 Pro already.

With all of this, there is still the, "because I can" factor. My Mustang didn't need over 500 hp, but it was there. 
    ValkyrieStar
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 10:46:00 (permalink)
    Haha, i agree sata express was a stupid idea from the begining, PCIe devices have been around for along time, U.2 and M.2 is pretty much the way forward, sata-e uses 2x sata + 2x pcie lanes to give you throughput of only the two pcie lanes? Makes no sense to me.

As for onboard sound, the realtek ALC1150 is a huge improvement from previous generations, my Z97 board with a pretty beefy set of nichicon audio caps and ALC 8 hundred something sounded really poor compared to the SBZ, while the Micro2, with a much smaller array of caps, is almost matching the SBZ in every way except volume.

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 11:22:36 (permalink)
    The ALC1150 is a definite improvement over the ALC898 pretty much in all areas.  Sound is much like 90 degree power plugs, no matter which way you go, half the people will not be happy.  I have had tons of discussions that keep telling me that the SBZ there is no point for as most are on headphones that you don't hear the difference on, and others instantly buy a card if there is not SBZ onboard because Realtek doesn't keep up.  I have MANY discussions in forums, PMs, and some via email and onboard sound is like the power headers, the 90 degree headers I get just as many complaints about it being wrong as I see for the straight power headers being asked why we didn't go 90 degree. 
    The ALC1150 is a definite step forward and the caps are far better, this board is meant to be an upgrade to the FTW, not an upgrade to the Classified, a good example would be the X58 lineup, this is effectively this gens E768, better than E758, but no E760/770.  It's just unfortunate that sound can be such a touchy subject.
    Overall this is a really solid mid-upper end X99, while not the pinnacle, it wasn't meant to be either.  I think this board will serve anyone well that grabs it.
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 11:58:35 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    The ALC1150 is a definite improvement over the ALC898 pretty much in all areas.  Sound is much like 90 degree power plugs, no matter which way you go, half the people will not be happy.  I have had tons of discussions that keep telling me that the SBZ there is no point for as most are on headphones that you don't hear the difference on, and others instantly buy a card if there is not SBZ onboard because Realtek doesn't keep up.  I have MANY discussions in forums, PMs, and some via email and onboard sound is like the power headers, the 90 degree headers I get just as many complaints about it being wrong as I see for the straight power headers being asked why we didn't go 90 degree. 
    The ALC1150 is a definite step forward and the caps are far better, this board is meant to be an upgrade to the FTW, not an upgrade to the Classified, a good example would be the X58 lineup, this is effectively this gens E768, better than E758, but no E760/770.  It's just unfortunate that sound can be such a touchy subject.
    Overall this is a really solid mid-upper end X99, while not the pinnacle, it wasn't meant to be either.  I think this board will serve anyone well that grabs it.

The only thing keeping me from buying this board is it doesnt have dual Power to CPU !
     I mean really it is supposed to be a Overclock board and No extra Power connections ?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 12:14:40 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U

The only thing keeping me from buying this board is it doesnt have dual Power to CPU !
     I mean really it is supposed to be a Overclock board and No extra Power connections ?

If you aren't going to do crazy OCs on LN2, it isn't needed.  If you are, well you have a point then.  I'd wait a few more weeks before making a decision in your case, just in case a Classified replacement shows up.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    ValkyrieStar
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 13:13:51 (permalink)
    gtxjackbauer
    DAVE2HOT4U

If you aren't going to do crazy OCs on LN2, it isn't needed.  If you are, well you have a point then.  I'd wait a few more weeks before making a decision in your case, just in case a Classified replacement shows up.

There's also no OC Socket for the uncore/cache. Besides, the 8pin EPS connector is designed to support upto 336w. The 24 pin connector supports up to 144w on the 12v rail. So overall you're talking 480w available to the CPU. That's enough for like.. anything xD

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 16:26:16 (permalink)
    What about the PCIe lanes dont they use the same power sourse ? My CPU supports 40 lanes and never Know what I might thro in there in the future.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 16:51:30 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
    What about the PCIe lanes dont they use the same power sourse ? My CPU supports 40 lanes and never Know what I might thro in there in the future.

I think there is a bit of confusion here and believe I know what you're talking about.  I believe you're referring to the 6-pin PCIe power header located at the lower part of the board in most cases as is on the X99 FTW K, that feeds more power if the PCIe lanes need it because of the power draw when on multi-GPU or at least filling up majority of the slots.  

I had issues not too long ago with my secondary rig (X58) while folding as she would lock up after long sessions or short as it just progressed for the worse.  I finally investigated and took the CPU out to check her socket in case of damage, etc.  All she wanted was the 6-pin PCIe power connected to her via PSU for more juice because the GTX 760s in SLI (x2) got demanding. lol  She hasn't had a hick up for months now and folds 24/7. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 17:43:15 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
    EVGATech_DaveB

Realistically, how hard are you pushing it?  4.6 on a 5960x is still definitely possible for a single EPS connector.  Of course, there will always be that one dud chip you have to volt the heck out of to make work right, however I am referring to the average contenders.  Haswell-E chips suck down power in general, that is certain, but in most cases, if you are cooling on ambient, and not in the arctic circle a single will do the job just fine.  Now you start hitting the Chiller, Phase changer, or something heftier, then the second connector is definitely in order.

gtxjackbauer
    DAVE2HOT4U

I think there is a bit of confusion here and believe I know what you're talking about.  I believe you're referring to the 6-pin PCIe power header located at the lower part of the board in most cases as is on the X99 FTW K, that feeds more power if the PCIe lanes need it because of the power draw when on multi-GPU or at least filling up majority of the slots.  

I had issues not too long ago with my secondary rig (X58) while folding as she would lock up after long sessions or short as it just progressed for the worse.  I finally investigated and took the CPU out to check her socket in case of damage, etc.  All she wanted was the 6-pin PCIe power connected to her via PSU for more juice because the GTX 760s in SLI (x2) got demanding. lol  She hasn't had a hick up for months now and folds 24/7. 

Yeah, the second 6pin can be a HUGE help for stability in SLI, and this just keeps the load from being pulled from the 24pin.  Originally this was added in the end of the X58 days because 480s in tri-SLI were melting 24 pin headers, some boards had a molex there already and it was not an issue, so pretty much everything got a molex at minimum or a 6pin PCIE later on.  Now cards aren't like 480s and pulling the current of an arc welder (yes kidding about the welder, only a little though ) so there really isn't much of a concern with melting the 24 pin except in extraordinary circumstances, but, it tends to be a big help with stability.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 19:17:15 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB

Yeah, the second 6pin can be a HUGE help for stability in SLI, and this just keeps the load from being pulled from the 24pin.  Originally this was added in the end of the X58 days because 480s in tri-SLI were melting 24 pin headers, some boards had a molex there already and it was not an issue, so pretty much everything got a molex at minimum or a 6pin PCIE later on.  Now cards aren't like 480s and pulling the current of an arc welder (yes kidding about the welder, only a little though ) so there really isn't much of a concern with melting the 24 pin except in extraordinary circumstances, but, it tends to be a big help with stability.

The irony here is, this same machine ran x2 GTX 480s SC's in SLI without the 6-pin Power Header prior when folding.  Which is odd and happy that nothing got melted.  Man oh man was she a screamer and my power meter was telling me she was pulling close to 900w on heavy benching. lol  Of course everything was stock as I don't think I had any room for any sort of OC's whatsoever. hehe

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 19:57:48 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB

With a single 980 Ti and an Adaptec 7805 RAID controller (with eight 3TB drives), my X79 Dark became unstable after a year and a half of use. After RMA'ing (and getting two completely dead boards), on the third board it was unstable still. Oddly enough, plugging in that extra power connector for the PCIE lanes stabilized everything.

Now with the X99 Classified and the same 980 Ti and an Adaptec 8805, I just plug in the extra PCIE power connector anyways. Something about EVGA boards and PCIE power... causing a month of downtime. Not again, dang it. (edit: and a lot of wasted TIM)
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/05/24 20:01:09
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/24 22:29:22 (permalink)
    Its funny as I almost forgot, back in the day (X58), EVGA used to sell a product that would help power your PCIe lanes as there wasn't a 6-pin Power Header back then as DaveB said.  They came later on.  Wondering if it was EVGA that started the whole 6-pin power header on MBs or not.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/25 09:07:29 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB

English poet John Lydgate once said, You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. That said, it appears to me a large number of people who complain about the angles (regardless of which angle) either:
    1. Have small cases and/or lack cable pass-through to accommodate the 90° headers
    2. Have larger cases (like my CaseLabs ST10 Merlin ) or bench setups that do accommodate the 90° header and prefer them for cable routing purposes
    Conclusion: There is no way to please the entire DIY PC community. If one could create a gorilla-grip safe pivoting header would probably bridge the gap sufficiently, but that connector would have to be built with stainless steel mounted through granite blocks!

EVGATech_DaveB

The ALC1150 being a step up for on board sound is easy enough to grasp.

I have wondered exactly where EVGA meant this board to be positioned, as there has been no news of other EVGA board releases around Broadwell-E. I knew it wasn't meant to be an X99 Classified per se, but the feature set the FTW K includes, appears to fill a space between the X99 FTW and the X99 Classified, yet overlapping both.

EVGATech_DaveB
    It's just unfortunate that sound can be such a touchy subject.

People want the best and most they can get for their money. If they read on a forum, especially at a respected enthusiast community, the SBZ or ASUS Xonar are "all that and a bag of chips" and so forth, it becomes gospel to them. Adding to this is the unknown quantity factor a new motherboard brings to bear.

They may know a "Core 3D Super Sonar Advanced Tech Laser Sound Blasting Chip" (on board) has a reputation for quality sound, so anything other than that automatically gets filed in the "less than" category to them. On board sound has taken a lot of abusive press over the years and how well they are implemented still varies as well. The ALC1150 on one mainboard may not provide the same quality sound as another; an add-in card is more consistent.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/25 09:54:09 (permalink)
    Number one reason I like EVGA MBs are for the 90° Header Connectors I only wish the lower Headers all were 90° headers pointing down to allow the 4th GPU to seat better. If only the MB Case Connectors were 90° headers I would have gotten this MB.
    For users that do not like the 90° Headers only because they want a small case should say away from any MB FTW and above.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/05/25 09:57:09

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/25 10:04:21 (permalink)
    I made the mistake not realizing the 90° header existed on the EVGA boards, when I first purchased the x79. It fit in my previous case, but it didn't exactly fit. had to shimmy it a little bit until I purchased the case I now use, which I really like.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/25 13:10:39 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Number one reason I like EVGA MBs are for the 90° Header Connectors I only wish the lower Headers all were 90° headers pointing down to allow the 4th GPU to seat better. If only the MB Case Connectors were 90° headers I would have gotten this MB.
    For users that do not like the 90° Headers only because they want a small case should say away from any MB FTW and above.

Right on BC.  I agree 100%.  I found a remedy for those folks who have issues.  Plug the cables to the MB before you install and tightened down the board to the small case or get a bigger case.  Its simple as that. 

I will also say, not knocking these folks but there are a few chanting for a X99 Dark which would replace the existing X99 Classified while I feel they should keep the same brand.  If people don't like lights, turn them off OR don't buy the board at all.   EVGA has always been black/red themed.  A few people complaining isn't going to make them change their colors or branding.  Most of us choose EVGA exactly for those reasons to begin with.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/25 13:39:48 (permalink)
    gtxjackbauer

Right on BC.  I agree 100%.  I found a remedy for those folks who have issues.  Plug the cables to the MB before you install and tightened down the board to the small case or get a bigger case.  Its simple as that.

My thoughts exactly! Been there, done that, got the system up and running quick, fast and in a hurry.

gtxjackbauer

I will also say, not knocking these folks but there are a few chanting for a X99 Dark which would replace the existing X99 Classified while I feel they should keep the same brand.  If people don't like lights, turn them off OR don't buy the board at all.   EVGA has always been black/red themed.  A few people complaining isn't going to make them change their colors or branding. Most of us choose EVGA exactly for those reasons to begin with.

The only thing I really want to see on a refreshed version of the X99 Classified is USB 3.1 Gen 2. Otherwise, the current version has almost everything I could want. It is missing another USB 3.0 Header or two. My hesitation is, well, Computex, the FTW K with it's new features, the possibility of a special edition board release (Pure rumor laced with wish, want & hope - Powerful drug!), and I blew an opportunity to buy an X99 Classified for $279.00 shipped a couple weeks ago. My fault all around,  but it is hard for me to cough up that extra Benjamin Franklin having seen it that much lower recently.

I usually choose EVGA for the solid quality I don't consistently find elsewhere and their black themed boards - with or without a tasteful splash of color.  While some complain about no wireless or whatever else, I like the "bring your own wireless adapter" feature of the X99 Classified
    post edited by Questors - 2016/05/26 08:54:04
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/25 14:22:52 (permalink)
    Questors
    EVGATech_DaveB

English poet John Lydgate once said, You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. That said, it appears to me a large number of people who complain about the angles (regardless of which angle) either:
    1. Have small cases and/or lack cable pass-through to accommodate the 90° headers
    2. Have larger cases (like my CaseLabs ST10 Merlin ) or bench setups that do accommodate the 90° header and prefer them for cable routing purposes
    Conclusion: There is no way to please the entire DIY PC community. If one could create a gorilla-grip safe pivoting header would probably bridge the gap sufficiently, but that connector would have to be built with stainless steel mounted through granite blocks!

You hit the nail square on the head.  The complaints form both sides are equally valid too.  I do like your granite on the MB idea though   :)

Questors
    EVGATech_DaveB

The ALC1150 being a step up for on board sound is easy enough to grasp.

I have wondered exactly where EVGA meant this board to be positioned, as there has been no news of other EVGA board releases around Broadwell-E. I knew it wasn't meant to be an X99 Classified per se, but the feature set the FTW K includes, appears to fill a space between the X99 FTW and the X99 Classified, yet overlapping both.

OK, for any upcoming potential and/or unreleased CPUs that may support existing chipsets we are currently making motherboards for, steps are being taken to support.  I can give no further information that this.
    As for placement in the line this board is meant to fill the mid ground of the X99 lineup as the FTW is phased out.  Much like how the X58 FTW3 (E768) helped to phase out the X58 3x-SLI (E758).

Questors
    EVGATech_DaveB

It's just unfortunate that sound can be such a touchy subject.

People want the best and most they can get for their money. If they read on a forum, especially at a respected enthusiast community, the SBZ or ASUS Xonar are "all that and a bag of chips" and so forth, it becomes gospel to them. Adding to this is the unknown quantity factor a new motherboard brings to bear.

They may know a "Core 3D Super Sonar Advanced Tech Laser Sound Blasting Chip" (on board) has a reputation for quality sound, so anything other than that automatically gets filed in the "less than" category to them. On board sound has taken a lot of abusive press over the years and how well they are implemented still varies as well. The ALC1150 on one mainboard may not provide the same quality sound as another; an add-in card is more consistent.

Myself, I am an audio guy, and I always prefer the better sound card, I also prefer the 90 degree connectors on my boards, but I have had the conversations about why put a expensive sound card on the board when everyone just uses USB headphones.
    I will always agree with having a better sound device integrated, but i have talked with plenty who think it is a waste, so we are back to your previous quote, which I find to be 100% true "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time".  While it would be great, the mid range boards have always used the ALC chips, one day that might be different but right now, the ALC is what it gets, which to be fair has still improved tremendously since the ALC898 on the old Dark boards.
    MaHawkma
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/27 19:18:26 (permalink)
    Well, I have a FTW K on hand and have don't have any real complaints.  I've pushed my 5930k to 4250 MHz without really trying and I am not going to push for more. My only complaint is that with my case, I can't connect the front USB 3.0 and that I can't smart control more of the fans off the 4 pin headers. If anyone has any questions on it, ask away and I'll do my best to answer.
    post edited by MaHawkma - 2016/05/28 07:52:02
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/28 20:35:02 (permalink)
    WOW. So I completely sympathize with those who complain about lack-luster onboard sound. For reference I've got an x99 Classified board that has the Sound Blaster Recon3Di.

I just hooked up my OLD SB X-Fi Surround Pro 5.1 (USB) and plugged in my Audio-Technica ATH-M50s (38 Ohm). And. Oh. My. GOD. I have to turn down the volume to 50%!!! Even at 33% it is louder than the onboard at 100% - and the the bass is FRIGGEN INSANE with the external SB compared to the onboard SB Recon 3Di.

No contest at all. My music sounds so good right now.

EDIT: I could legitimately damage my hearing with these headphones and the external SB at 100% volume....

EDIT 2: It's so much better, it's like I'm hearing my favorite songs for the very first time. I'm not certain if I've died and gone to heaven - it's just so sublime! And setting the output to 24bit 96KHz and listening to songs in FLAC... I'M A KID AGAIN! EHHH EHHH OOHHHHH EEEEHHH OOOOOOOH!
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/05/28 20:55:12
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X-99 FTW K Motherboard Owners 2016/05/28 20:52:15 (permalink)
    I'm also wondering if I were to buy a 3rd party sound card like the Creative Sound Blaster Zx PCIe, if it will improve the PC 363D's I use and give them more loudness compared to the factory USB Sennhieser Game 1.  The headphones are only rated 32 Ohms.  I could use the onboard sound on the X99 Classified but haven't tried it yet and have heard it won't make much of a difference.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile