EVGA

X99 FTW K Issues

Author
happyk
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/24 02:18:31 (permalink)
So over the last couple of weeks i got all my delivered and put together and i was so so hyped, i was a Asus mobo guy but over the last year ive had about 7 dead boards from them and thought enough is enough.

With the release of the new gen stuff, everything looks ugly except the line up from EVGA which finally made the decision of getting the FTW K.

Now i have a number of issues which im purely putting down to the fact new board, new cpu and early BIOS.

1) I sometimes get a bios boot loop, the debug LED displays 'bd' - let me expand, it goes through the normal checks and then before it displays 'A2' and boots it hangs on 'bd' for about 15 seconds after rebooting its self 2-3 times.

2) Overclocking seems very very inconsistent for some reason, for example sometimes 4.4GHz is stable, then after couple of days its not, so backed of to 4.3GHz which was stable for about 4 days then just stopped being stable, so started overclocking from scratch, and got 4.4GHz stable again, at exactly the same voltage it was before it got unstable, then after a day or two, it rendered itself unstable again. I use Realbench, x264 v2 Stress test and HCI Memtest to make sure everything is stable, and its tested for a minimum of 10 hours each.

3) When the system boots up, the BIOS logo stays displayed with the windows loading dotted circle in the middle which im assuming is just a bug.

4) The BIOS values for voltage, temperature etc etc, do not even match correctly in windows, now im not taking within margin of error, im talking VCCIN in BIOS is 1.810v, but windows says 2.110v.

I've done the usual resetting the BIOS, updating 2/3 times in case it just wont take, but still not getting anywhere fast.

Spec is as following

Intel i7 6850K
EVGA X99 FTW K
GSkill Memory - F4-3200C16Q-32GTZ
2x Crucial 500GB SSD's (JBOD)
EVGA 980Ti's in SLI w EVGA v2 Bridge
Silverstone 1500w PSU
Corsair H115i 

I want to watercool all my stuff but dont wanna go through the hassle in case i have a hardware issue somewhere and parts need to be swapped out, so any help or information you guys could provide would be awesome!

17 Replies Related Threads

Tech_RayH
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 834
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/24 07:10:57 (permalink)
    I have seen the screen show 'bd' when the Memory settings or overclock settings are too high and the motherboard resets to loads default settings and continues. That overclock is pretty high for the X99 platform, you may have issues keeping it stable over time. The BIOS logo is supposed to show while Windows is loading, that means that the UEFI for the motherboard is configured correctly, if you boot in Legacy mode it will show the Windows logo in lower res and take longer to boot. I would always trust the voltage readings in the BIOS over what is shown in Windows as the Windows ones are often all over the place and not always a reliable metric of the actual voltage.

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
    - Adlai E. Stevenson

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/24 08:34:38 (permalink)
    Have you updated to the latest BIOS, version 2.01?

That may or may not help out.
    happyk
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/24 12:40:52 (permalink)
    EVGATech_RayH
    I have seen the screen show 'bd' when the Memory settings or overclock settings are too high and the motherboard resets to loads default settings and continues. That overclock is pretty high for the X99 platform, you may have issues keeping it stable over time. The BIOS logo is supposed to show while Windows is loading, that means that the UEFI for the motherboard is configured correctly, if you boot in Legacy mode it will show the Windows logo in lower res and take longer to boot. I would always trust the voltage readings in the BIOS over what is shown in Windows as the Windows ones are often all over the place and not always a reliable metric of the actual voltage.

You say the motherboard loads default settings, but it maintains OC'd settings regardless, is this needed for it to boot correctly? Say for example the full VCCIN voltage only kicks in after initial POST or am i way off??
    I dont feel the OC is pretty high for the platform, i mean Broadwell-E has its limits, im sure if the OC was too high instability would be a huge issue, and not just the inconsistency in stability im facing.

Is there anything you suggest i do?

arestavo
    Have you updated to the latest BIOS, version 2.01?

That may or may not help out.

I am using 2.01, that was the first thing i did before i even installed Windows.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/24 17:15:39 (permalink)
    It could be a number of things.  For one, the CPU could just be a bad OCer or the IMC is too weak for the RAM speed or both.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/25 15:29:15 (permalink)
    Try removing your CPU and while it's out, check for any bent pins or any kind of foreign material (dirt, dust, etc.).  Then reseat your CPU making sure NOT to overtighten your cooler.  See if that helps.

Also, when you set your CPU OC and go to test for stability, try doing so with your memory frequency set to Intel's rated speed first.  (2133, 2400, whatever it is for your chip)

Once you're satisfied you're stable, then use your XMP profile or manually set your mem freq. and test again for stability.

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/28 11:38:18 (permalink)
    Any update on this?
    Per your comment about having more issues if it was due to the overclock, well not necessarily.  If you are sitting right at the edge of what is stable for that CPU, it can be good one day, then not the next.
    Can you give us a list of all voltages you modified for your OC?
    Also, what speed is your memory running at currently?
    happyk
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/28 13:32:42 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Any update on this?
    Per your comment about having more issues if it was due to the overclock, well not necessarily.  If you are sitting right at the edge of what is stable for that CPU, it can be good one day, then not the next.

My apologies, haven't had much of a chance to play around with the system these last few days, ill post over the weekend in a lot more detail.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/28 15:13:47 (permalink)
    happyk
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Any update on this?

My apologies, haven't had much of a chance to play around with the system these last few days, ill post over the weekend in a lot more detail.

OK, sounds like a plan.  Just wanted to hear everything was good to go, or that you needed something further in which case we can help you get it dialed in. 
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/29 07:40:32 (permalink)
    Sounds good.  Keep us posted...

happyk
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/30 06:20:57 (permalink)
    Right here we go guys!!

I've spent all day on this so far, and ive got 4.3GHz and 3.6GHz uncore stable.......so far

My settings are as follows...

I can get 4.4GHz stable, but it needed 1.46v at which the temperatures are consistently in the 80's which i dont really want. The uncore higher than 36 won't boot, i havent tried raging the voltages on the uncore as the significance in real world tasks is negligible.

So far its had 2 hours of realbench, 2 hours of x264 and hour of AIDA cache testing, i've yet to run Memtest, but thats a easy 5-6 hour process so may leave that on overnight. 

Not sure why but my memory read speed in the AIDA test is low, this is something i would like to correct.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/30 06:29:32 (permalink)
    Looks like you're getting it dialed in pretty good...  Nice job!

happyk
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/30 07:37:59 (permalink)
    So started to test my memory, at 2.3% it started spitting out insane amount of errors, it appears it doesnt like running at 15-15-15-35 1T.

So back to 16-16-16-36 1T.

Why can i not play with the BCLK the second i go above 101.8 the board completely loses its mind, i was hoping to be able to at least boot up at 125
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/30 09:17:18 (permalink)
    Certain XMP profiles will set 125 BCLK. It's a special number in that the board has, for lack of finding a better term off the top of my head, special gearing to work at that BCLK.

Setting 101.8, 102.5, 104, etc., ignores that gearing and over clocks everything on those buses. The SATA controller is the most sensitive, iirc, so that is probably why the whole thing falls flat.

Set 125 BCLK and lower your CPU and RING multipliers and start dialing in again. That is if you really want to, as doing so probably won't get you going any faster with the exception of the RAM.

As for the RAM, don't you have the option to set it to 3200MHz? My 2800MHz kit had that option, and it doesn't require messing with the BCLK - it stays at 100MHz. I did have to relax the timings a bit.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/30 09:17:31 (permalink)
    If you set your memory using the XMP profile just to see all the timings, does it set the command rate to 1T?  You've got 2 memory pics above, but I don't see it in either pic.  Just curious.

As far as the Bclk, I haven't tried to use it other than to do what you did and add the .05 to the 100...

happyk
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/30 09:42:20 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Certain XMP profiles will set 125 BCLK. It's a special number in that the board has, for lack of finding a better term off the top of my head, special gearing to work at that BCLK.

Setting 101.8, 102.5, 104, etc., ignores that gearing and over clocks everything on those buses. The SATA controller is the most sensitive, iirc, so that is probably why the whole thing falls flat.

Set 125 BCLK and lower your CPU and RING multipliers and start dialing in again. That is if you really want to, as doing so probably won't get you going any faster with the exception of the RAM.

As for the RAM, don't you have the option to set it to 3200MHz? My 2800MHz kit had that option, and it doesn't require messing with the BCLK - it stays at 100MHz. I did have to relax the timings a bit.

Well the thing is the board wont boot at all once its set to BCLK 125, regardless of the XMP setting. 

I am aiming to get get some more out the RAM i refuse to believe that it doesn't have even 1MHz more to give, i wanted to use the 125 Strap so i could get the 3333MHz Ram Speed, the next step with a 100 BCLK is 3467, which i cannot get to boot even with the timings at 19-19-19-40

bdary
    If you set your memory using the XMP profile just to see all the timings, does it set the command rate to 1T?  You've got 2 memory pics above, but I don't see it in either pic.  Just curious.

As far as the Bclk, I haven't tried to use it other than to do what you did and add the .05 to the 100...

Ahh i missed the a section of the memory page my bad, if you look at the CPU-Z shot it shows the RAM set to 1T.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/30 10:21:00 (permalink)
    happyk
    arestavo

Well the thing is the board wont boot at all once its set to BCLK 125, regardless of the XMP setting

Did you lower the CPU and RING multiplier? Because if you have it set for 43, it is now 43 X 125 = 5375MHz instead of 43 X 100 = 4300MHz
    happyk
    Re: X99 FTW K Issues 2016/07/30 10:48:20 (permalink)
    arestavo
    happyk
    arestavo

Well the thing is the board wont boot at all once its set to BCLK 125, regardless of the XMP setting

Did you lower the CPU and RING multiplier? Because if you have it set for 43, it is now 43 X 125 = 5375MHz instead of 43 X 100 = 4300MHz

Yes i had it at 125x25 just to see if it would boot, wasnt having any of it
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile