EVGA

X79 Issues with USB and Boot

Author
snpr1992
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/22 19:39:59 (permalink)
Alright, so with a board I have had no issues previously, had a restart and it froze at b4 error code that says USB hot plug according to the handbook.  I tried a CMOS reset multiple times with no result and no boot.  I switched BIOS settings and with both 1 and 2 had it freeze at FF error code which says has not been defined.  Finally I switched back to 3, unplugged all USB devices from the computer and reset and it booted directly back to windows.   I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem or a potential solution for it.

Also, I posted a topic a few months ago regarding a problem with the USB devices and the motherboard which I have had yet to be resolved.  I can use the top most USB slots without issue for the most part.  However, if I try to utilize the other USB slots the windows 8 add/remove hardware sounds connecting and disconnecting the devices.  It happens more when attempting to play games.
System Specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel i7 4820k
Ram: 16 GB
Twin EVGA GTX 760s
1000W EVGA Supernova PSU
3 TB standard HD
256 GB SSD

3 Replies Related Threads

niowa
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: X79 Issues with USB and Boot 2014/07/22 20:33:28 (permalink)

I think that one of your USB devices is being recognized as a boot device.. I would suggest that you try setting first that under fast boot (USB disabled  until OS is loaded) and disable all but UEFI windows boot order, if not using UEFI then disable all but your boot drive and note it is possible form windows to boot to bios from the update and recovery option and select advanced tools and go thru the menu until you find boot to firmware/UEFI... you also might try plugging in you USB devices one at ah time until you find the incompatibility. before doing the above their might be a known issue from that devices manufacturer an update for it may be available. and I would still do the above fixed or not....hope that helps         

EVGA X79Dark (bios 2.13) paired with i7-4960X,
     32 gigs of Corsair Vengeance 1866 C10 ram,
    2 EVGA GTX 980ti Hydro Copper’s, Corsair AX1200i power supply and XSPC Ray Storm D5 RX480 V3 Water Cooling Kit, 2 512 gigs OCZ Vector’s
    SSD’s in raid 10. Windows 10 pro

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: X79 Issues with USB and Boot 2014/07/22 20:49:56 (permalink)
    niowa

I think that one of your USB devices is being recognized as a boot device.. I would suggest that you try setting first that under fast boot (USB disabled  until OS is loaded) and disable all but UEFI windows boot order, if not using UEFI then disable all but your boot drive and note it is possible form windows to boot to bios from the update and recovery option and select advanced tools and go thru the menu until you find boot to firmware/UEFI... you also might try plugging in you USB devices one at ah time until you find the incompatibility. before doing the above their might be a known issue from that devices manufacturer an update for it may be available. and I would still do the above fixed or not....hope that helps         

^  For those people who can't find their reading glasses.        

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Aonoa
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re: X79 Issues with USB and Boot 2014/08/16 03:30:02 (permalink)
    I am also having strange USB issues with my X79 Dark, which some times keeps my system from booting at all. Which ports I use for different devices seems to be important. I have recently encountered a 0d message, which does not go away until I unplug the device, a USB soundcard and the port that caused problems is one of the middle'ish ports on the back.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile