EVGA

X58 Classified3 FF Error when system is shut down.

Author
zadinex
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2016/09/26 19:44:46 (permalink)
I have a interesting issue arise that I can't seem to solve short of a RMA. My Classified3 (stock settings) will give perfect stable performance until I shut it down. When I go to turn her back on again she will immediately go to FF error. If I hold down the power button (10 seconds) and try it again, it's as if there was never a fault. I have gone over the evga's list of FF error code causes, tried a different graphics card (nvidia, amd old and new), cpu (no bent pins), power supply, ran memtest, cleared cmos multiple times (new battery). I'm at a loss attempting to resolve this one, especially when after I force her off and turn her back on again she is stable as can be. Anyone have a similar experience?

i7-980X, EVGA Classified 3, Asus GTX 1080 Strix OC, 24GB G.Skill, Samsung 840 Pro 250GB, Antec TPQ 1200 Power Supply 

7 Replies Related Threads

zadinex
    Re: X58 Classified3 FF Error when system is shut down. 2016/09/29 09:58:34 (permalink)
    I'd like to update this post in case anyone should come across this issue on this older setup. Resolution turned out to be simple, after tearing apart my system. It would appear that when using older branded video cards, the issue would not present itself upon a cold start or shutdown. However with new series of GTX 1080, MSI, Asus (excluding 1080 FTW worked fine), it would occur randomly 8/10 shutdowns. Probably due to a needed bios update on a aging platform (may be time to upgrade). However work around I found was to flash back to Bios 82, latest bios 83 would cause this issue frequently.
    post edited by zadinex - 2016/10/19 13:54:48

i7-980X, EVGA Classified 3, Asus GTX 1080 Strix OC, 24GB G.Skill, Samsung 840 Pro 250GB, Antec TPQ 1200 Power Supply 

529th
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 622
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: X58 Classified3 FF Error when system is shut down. 2016/10/21 12:41:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, I'm getting a 1070 soon and this might help,

Cheers!
    bg8780
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2540
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: X58 Classified3 FF Error when system is shut down. 2016/10/24 10:30:55 (permalink)
    That's very strange. I've been running a 1080 FE on BIOS 83 with no issue. Glad you found a resolution. 
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: X58 Classified3 FF Error when system is shut down. 2016/10/24 10:43:18 (permalink)
    zadinex
    I have a interesting issue arise that I can't seem to solve short of a RMA. My Classified3 (stock settings) will give perfect stable performance until I shut it down. When I go to turn her back on again she will immediately go to FF error. If I hold down the power button (10 seconds) and try it again, it's as if there was never a fault. I have gone over the evga's list of FF error code causes, tried a different graphics card (nvidia, amd old and new), cpu (no bent pins), power supply, ran memtest, cleared cmos multiple times (new battery). I'm at a loss attempting to resolve this one, especially when after I force her off and turn her back on again she is stable as can be. Anyone have a similar experience?

Are you running any kind of overclock? I had a similar issue on my board E758 with the 980x and there was a setting, I can't remember exactly which one, which would cause the same issue between the 82 and 83 BIOS. It was possibly either VTT or the uncore link speed.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

zadinex
    Re: X58 Classified3 FF Error when system is shut down. 2016/10/25 08:44:25 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    zadinex

Are you running any kind of overclock? I had a similar issue on my board E758 with the 980x and there was a setting, I can't remember exactly which one, which would cause the same issue between the 82 and 83 BIOS. It was possibly either VTT or the uncore link speed.

Initially I was overclocking, but when the issue began when I started using non evga branded 1080's (MSI, Asus). So I reverted to stock clocks and the issue would still occur. It still occurs on bios 82 but very rarely 1/30 shutdowns vs bios 83. As for the uncore, I always manually set it to 2x memory speed (usually 1333 DDR3 while I ensure the gtx 1080s are good). Here's the kicker, if I put back in a EVGA branded 1080,980 doesn't matter which, problem goes away permanently. I'm only left to conclude there may be a bios incompatibility with the Asus, MSI bios. Bios 82 just keeps it at a minimum until I can upgrade.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: X58 Classified3 FF Error when system is shut down. 2016/10/25 13:01:44 (permalink)
    zadinex
    HeavyHemi
    zadinex

Initially I was overclocking, but when the issue began when I started using non evga branded 1080's (MSI, Asus). So I reverted to stock clocks and the issue would still occur. It still occurs on bios 82 but very rarely 1/30 shutdowns vs bios 83. As for the uncore, I always manually set it to 2x memory speed (usually 1333 DDR3 while I ensure the gtx 1080s are good). Here's the kicker, if I put back in a EVGA branded 1080,980 doesn't matter which, problem goes away permanently. I'm only left to conclude there may be a bios incompatibility with the Asus, MSI bios. Bios 82 just keeps it at a minimum until I can upgrade.

Okay...one of the advantages of the 980x Gulftown is being able to set your uncore to less that 2x down to 1.5x. I generally run mine at one step less than 2x for stability. The IMC on the Gulftown is known to be a bit weaker. You could try that. It won't affect your memory performance to any appreciable amount. And make sure your Low Memory Gap is set to 3 GB.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

zadinex
    Re: X58 Classified3 FF Error when system is shut down. 2016/10/25 13:42:14 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    zadinex
    HeavyHemi
    zadinex

Okay...one of the advantages of the 980x Gulftown is being able to set your uncore to less that 2x down to 1.5x. I generally run mine at one step less than 2x for stability. The IMC on the Gulftown is known to be a bit weaker. You could try that. It won't affect your memory performance to any appreciable amount. And make sure your Low Memory Gap is set to 3 GB.

Thank you, I'll give your suggestions a try. FF error didn't occur until recent GTX 1080 hardware change, changing low memory gap setting was completely overlooked on my part. Your absolutely right about advantages of 1.5 vs 2.0. However in my findings since L3 cache is tied to the uncore speed, typically 1.5 operation took a significant hit since the cache is operating at a lower speed. Suggestion to lower it one might add a level of stability I did not consider, I'll give it a go.

Update: Since changing the low memory gap to 3GB, definitely saw a improvement in performance. However reverting back to bios 83 exhibits the same FF upon shutdown even with this setting. 1.5 uncore, one under 2.0. For now I'll have to stay on Bios 82 and live with it. More than likely my Asus 1080 and X58 bios compatibility which is not as prominent in bios 82.
    post edited by zadinex - 2016/10/25 14:29:39

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile