• Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 46

9 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/19 08:41:47 (permalink)
    I guess it's "there way or the highway" from MS's point of view...

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/19 10:17:27 (permalink)
    bdary
    I guess it's "there way or the highway" from MS's point of view...

It's their way or LINUX for me. I am sticking with Windows 7 until I die or my PC dies and replacement hardware is only Windows 10 compatible at which time I will quit owning a PC or switch to LINUX.
    Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/19 14:46:51 (permalink)
    Yup, the last feature update essentially bricked all the surfaces and surface books at work.

It also royally screwed with printer settings in a totally random fashion. The only common thing was the default printer was changed on all win 10 machines.

We had software just disappear on some of the machines. Not in Windows.old, not in program files or program data.

It also broke all the rules setup for those stupid "apps" Yep, Xbox live, weather, and a dozen other trash apps for enterprise showed up again and required PowerShell scripts initiated the first time a user logs into a updated machine to clean them up for all users.

It's not just aggressive upgrade timelines that are annoying us admins, it's the increasing loss of enterprise control over the workstation without customer made script based workarounds to stupid decision made by microsoft.

I still haven't found a functional solution to the control stealing "updates are available" notification on our 2016 session hosts.

With SQL officially being supported on Linux soon we truly are considering moving to a more Linux heavy ecosystem. Just need to find a solid Linux based AD solution.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/19 14:59:07 (permalink)
    unless enterprise system admins switch everything over to linux... I mean what is windows for in an office environment anyways? Familiarity? 

Linux has libre office and open office and tons of new applications being developed. Better file explorer support... Microsoft is digging its own grave.
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/19 17:28:39 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MDecker
    unless enterprise system admins switch everything over to linux... I mean what is windows for in an office environment anyways? Familiarity? 

Linux has libre office and open office and tons of new applications being developed. Better file explorer support... Microsoft is digging its own grave.

That's exactly why, when you consider the cost and lost productivity of retraining your entire staff of 500-10,000 people on Linux, knowing they don't use it at home your looking at a major loss in profits from lost productivity. A Technical person might make the move comfortably in a week or two, your 50 year old secretary or accountant, might take 6 months to get comfortable again. Also Open Office and Libre Office aren't really good alternatives, no one has a good Outlook replacement, period the end, nothing comes even close to what Outlook can offer, and the file formats are defacto standards. There is also custom business applications, or research programs written for Windows that don't exist on Linux, because they where written for one company to run on their environment, the cost to start rewriting every program. Then comes enterprise support, you also need every tech support guy to be intimately familiar with Linux, which most are not, some may have used it in passing but most not as a day to day OS, because it's not something most support so they will use what they support. It's not as easy as anyone thinks it is.
    WackyWRZ
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 603
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/19 18:53:32 (permalink)
    Looking at where I work - outside of custom apps and Outlook/Exchange integration - you've got Visio, Project, and Adobe CC that would be real issues.  It's bad enough most graphics departments (including ours) refuse to use anything but Mac - there's always some issue with them and integrating on the network!

That said the new update structure is a pain and not only that - all of our systems have to be validated.  The rate of build changes and number of changes in Win10 is hard to keep up with.  We still haven't rolled up to Anniversary update on our Win10 because MS decided to completely change (remove) the BitLocker -> AD backup feature.  New ADMX templates have to be deployed with every new build too - and there's always a ton of changes there too.  That's why Win10 is only in test pilot stage - we're still running trusty Win7 as corporate standard, but its 32-bit and that's causing issues of it's own.
    post edited by WackyWRZ - 2017/02/19 19:06:48

CASE: Anidees AI Crystal XL | MOBO: ASUS X470 Crosshair VII | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 2x8GB B-Die | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 | GPU: AMD RX5700 XT | MON: AOC CU34G2X 1440p/144hz 34" Ultrawide + Dell S2716DG 1440p/144Hz | Cooling: Full custom loop, Heatkiller D5 150, Aquacomputer D5 Next + Quadro, EK Supremacy Evo, EK Coolstream PE 480, Bykski 5700XT | HEAT: 20-0-0 - http://www.heatware.com/u/104452

James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4336
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/19 19:03:14 (permalink)
    Bruno747
    Yup, the last feature update essentially bricked all the surfaces and surface books at work.

It also royally screwed with printer settings in a totally random fashion. The only common thing was the default printer was changed on all win 10 machines.

We had software just disappear on some of the machines. Not in Windows.old, not in program files or program data.

You're not the only one.  Since the build 1607 came about there are a lot of departments needing to update the SCCM deployments and halt the update schedule (if they can) to test out the newly changed features. Namely the GPO's not applying properly in some instances.

It also broke all the rules setup for those stupid "apps" Yep, Xbox live, weather, and a dozen other trash apps for enterprise showed up again and required PowerShell scripts initiated the first time a user logs into a updated machine to clean them up for all users.

It's not just aggressive upgrade timelines that are annoying us admins, it's the increasing loss of enterprise control over the workstation without customer made script based workarounds to stupid decision made by microsoft.

I still haven't found a functional solution to the control stealing "updates are available" notification on our 2016 session hosts.

From what I remember about the 2016 session hosts you'd need to apply a domain wide GPO to stop the notifications via registry entry. I'm not sure where it's at but I do know it exists. Perhaps a quite google search will ease your pain in that.

With SQL officially being supported on Linux soon we truly are considering moving to a more Linux heavy ecosystem. Just need to find a solid Linux based AD solution.

You can use a CentOS/RedHat server with LDAPS to help along with a Bind9 solution for dynamic updates. You'd have to prime up the DNS for kerberos in order to get the AD solution to be passable but, as with anything relying on a Microsoft domain setup, the best bet is to just have a normal domain server and use the Linux/LDAPS systems for authenticating against as if they were Read-only domain servers. I haven't found a decent solution in this as of yet which doesn't corrupt or get corrupted by rogue changes made by Windows clients. There used to be a SSO solution for authentication and bridging the gap between Linux PAM/AD and Microsoft AD itself but that has been depreciated due to lack of updates/maintainers.

WackyWRZ
    That said the new update structure is a pain and not only that - all of our systems have to be validated.  The rate of build changes and number of changes in Win10 is hard to keep up with.  We still haven't rolled up to Anniversary update on our Win10 because MS decided to completely change (remove) the BitLocker -> AD backup feature.

Consider also the fact that Windows 10 Pro will no longer be considered 'enterprise' grade in a short time. They are looking for businesses to begin utilizing Windows 10 Enterprise as the platform of choice. Relatively soon from what I am seeing in the channels. Some features of Windows 10 Pro will be locked out of being able to be controlled by GPO and will, for the most part, be a more advanced version of the Windows 10 Home offering. Enterprise will allow for more granular control via policy along with the ability to fine tune your restrictions. It used to be that the 'Pro' offering was suitable for business to get along with. It appears that may not be the case any longer.
    post edited by James_L - 2017/02/19 19:07:32

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/19 23:32:56 (permalink)

Microsoft needs to get their company straightened out. Too many problems of late.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: "Windows as a Service" means big, painful changes for IT Pros 2017/02/20 04:35:50 (permalink)
    WackyWRZ

That said the new update structure is a pain and not only that - all of our systems have to be validated.  The rate of build changes and number of changes in Win10 is hard to keep up with.  We still haven't rolled up to Anniversary update on our Win10 because MS decided to completely change (remove) the BitLocker -> AD backup feature.  New ADMX templates have to be deployed with every new build too - and there's always a ton of changes there too.  That's why Win10 is only in test pilot stage - we're still running trusty Win7 as corporate standard, but its 32-bit and that's causing issues of it's own.

You know I didn't even think about that. At my last job we had machines on the manufacturing lines that had to have the image validated by an outside party. As I understood, this was because the manufacturing lines were making food.

I bet those line machines stay on 7 or 8 for several years yet. I was there during the transition from xp to seven and the "validation" process was not quick or simple. It also had to be repeated wherever a line was making a different product no matter how small the difference. Luckily you could validate a single image for several lines and products.

Man I'm glad I'm not in charge of managing win 10 in that environment. Looking back I'm glad I'm not in charge of cyber security there either. Man if anyone ever gets into that network maliciously it's gonna be a cake walk pivoting, stealing info, and causing havoc.

As to the server 2016 registry key. I have tried most everything I found on Google. It has knocked the ferocity with which it appears back, but it's still totally random who gets it and how often.

Also the bit locker ad backup feature comment intrigues me, we are still using it on all our toughbooks that have 10 deployed last I looked newly imaged machines (with anniversary) had reported the keys to AD.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile